CSNbbs
2022-23 College Basketball General Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: 2022-23 College Basketball General Thread (/thread-958923.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: 2022-23 College Basketball General Thread - BcatMatt13 - 03-05-2023 08:26 PM

(03-05-2023 08:20 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  Borrowing shamelessly from the AAC board...

The Conference tournament bracket is out:
[Image: FqfIndRaIAAl_AZ?format=jpg&name=large]

UC with the 4 Seed, first round bye, but we have to play Temple on Friday.

UC will be a 2.5 point favorite, give or take.

RE: 2022-23 College Basketball General Thread - Billy_Bearcat - 03-05-2023 09:09 PM

So when Temple beats us is the season over or will we get an NIT bid?

RE: 2022-23 College Basketball General Thread - BrooklynRocket - 03-05-2023 09:23 PM

(03-05-2023 09:09 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  So when Temple beats us is the season over or will we get an NIT bid?

We'll need to be cheering for as many low/mid-major #1 seeds/regular season champions to win their conference tournaments as possible.

The more at-large seeds available in the NIT, the better the chance we get an invite.

RE: 2022-23 College Basketball General Thread - UCBearcatlawjd2 - 03-05-2023 09:27 PM

(03-05-2023 09:09 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  So when Temple beats us is the season over or will we get an NIT bid?

No chance of an NIT bid if UC loses to Temple, a win might not get it done either as bids get stolen and other teams get qualify wins.

UC needs two wins to feel good about an NIT bid but if they are that close to winning the conference tournament I am not thinking about the NIT.

Personally think there is no way more than one out of Cincinnati, UCF, or Tulane gets an NIT bid. I feel the Cats have the best overall computer profile but it wouldn’t shock me if none of them make it. Most good bracket sites to do the NIT have UC right around where the cut line is likely going to be which is about the 20th to 22 team out of the NCAA tournament. Auto bids will probably eat up 10 to 12 bids.

RE: 2022-23 College Basketball General Thread - bearcatmark - 03-05-2023 09:34 PM

I'd be stunned if uc is left out of the NIT with a win against temple. With a loss they'll be close to the cutline depending on conference tournament upsets.

RE: 2022-23 College Basketball General Thread - Billy_Bearcat - 03-05-2023 09:36 PM

(03-05-2023 09:34 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  I'd be stunned if uc is left out of the NIT with a win against temple. With a loss they'll be close to the cutline depending on conference tournament upsets.

Well then if they can sneak out a win on Thursday I’d consider it a successful season

RE: 2022-23 College Basketball General Thread - UCBearcatlawjd2 - 03-05-2023 11:15 PM

(03-05-2023 09:34 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  I'd be stunned if uc is left out of the NIT with a win against temple. With a loss they'll be close to the cutline depending on conference tournament upsets.

They are right at the cut line now. Barking Crow has them out before today’s game. First team out. This website has consistently been lower on UC than others.

Dratings had them spots above the cut line. This website has tended to be higher.

It’s going to come down to how many bids are stolen and what UC does next week along with a few key team.

Personally I wouldn’t include teams with 15 or more losses that finished at bottom of the standings so no bids for Oklahoma or Texas Tech.

Liberty and their 16 games vs quad 4 tells me they didn’t play anyone no matter what their computer metrics are. 1 top 150 win all year is crap. UC has 7 in top 150 which isn’t great but should tell how bad Liberty’s wins are.

Santa Clara’s predictive metrics average out in the upper 80’s.

I like Virgina Tech’s quality wins but they have 3 bad losses and finished 8-12 in bad ACC.

Wake Forest has a really ugly computer profile.

Florida has good computers numbers but is 3-14 in the top 2 quads and might not finish with a winning record. In a power conference I think one should expect to get more than 3 wins vs those quads given how many chances they get.

Vandy has really good result based metrics, an average in the 40’s. Vandy has three computer numbers over 80. 9 quad 1 and quad 2 wins combined. I like them more than Florida but who knows what committee wants.

Villanova numbers are all over the place but they are looking at loss 16 in a few days.

Seton Hall is similar to Nova but with one less loss and a slight better computer profile. It wouldn’t shock me if only of them made it.

The A-10 and PAC-12 have a few teams to watch like Dayton, Utah, and Colorado. The problem in the A-10 is that VCU needs to win the tournament or a bid is gone. I can see one of Colorado or Utah making it. No idea which resume is better in the eyes of the committee but in my view it is Utah but they have lost five in a row including a game to Colorado this weekend.

RE: 2022-23 College Basketball General Thread - BcatMatt13 - 03-06-2023 07:33 AM

(03-05-2023 08:20 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  Borrowing shamelessly from the AAC board...

The Conference tournament bracket is out:
[Image: FqfIndRaIAAl_AZ?format=jpg&name=large]

UC with the 4 Seed, first round bye, but we have to play Temple on Friday.

What’s the over/under for attendance on that ECU/USF game Thursday afternoon? 40?

RE: 2022-23 College Basketball General Thread - Bear Catlett - 03-06-2023 08:20 AM

(03-05-2023 04:34 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(03-05-2023 04:25 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  I tell you what, if I'm a #1 seed and looking at Drake in the 8-9 game, I'm losing control of my bowels.

Those guys are solid.

They're probably a 12 seed

MVC champ? 12?

There's plenty of 11 and 12 seed conferences to fill those slots.

They're a 10 at worst.

RE: 2022-23 College Basketball General Thread - bearcatmark - 03-06-2023 08:29 AM

(03-06-2023 08:20 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  
(03-05-2023 04:34 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(03-05-2023 04:25 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  I tell you what, if I'm a #1 seed and looking at Drake in the 8-9 game, I'm losing control of my bowels.

Those guys are solid.

They're probably a 12 seed

MVC champ? 12?

There's plenty of 11 and 12 seed conferences to fill those slots.

They're a 10 at worst.

I hope you're right but I think 11 seed is their best case scenario and 12 is more likely

RE: 2022-23 College Basketball General Thread - namrag - 03-06-2023 10:31 AM

With the AAC tourney being on the broadcast ESPN channels it looks like I can finally cancel my ESPN+ account for good.
I will take that win!

RE: 2022-23 College Basketball General Thread - OKIcat - 03-06-2023 10:45 AM

I read some speculation online that Sean Miller may be headed to TX next season. Frankly, I'd be surprised if TX would take on a coach with his NCAA baggage. Maybe "going home to X" was just a pit stop after coaching a national championship contender in the Pac 12. It will be interesting to see if any team not coached by Jay Wright can advance in March from the new Big East. Other than 'Nova, that's not been the case since the split.

I would think the leadership in the new Big East might have some reasonable level of concern about its next TV deal with what Fox and ESPN are now spending with the P5.

RE: 2022-23 College Basketball General Thread - CincyBro - 03-06-2023 11:48 AM

(03-06-2023 10:31 AM)namrag Wrote:  With the AAC tourney being on the broadcast ESPN channels it looks like I can finally cancel my ESPN+ account for good.
I will take that win!

You know Big XII had numerous games on ESPN+ this year......04-cheers

RE: 2022-23 College Basketball General Thread - bcat1997 - 03-06-2023 01:26 PM

(03-06-2023 10:45 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  I read some speculation online that Sean Miller may be headed to TX next season. Frankly, I'd be surprised if TX would take on a coach with his NCAA baggage. Maybe "going home to X" was just a pit stop after coaching a national championship contender in the Pac 12. It will be interesting to see if any team not coached by Jay Wright can advance in March from the new Big East. Other than 'Nova, that's not been the case since the split.

I would think the leadership in the new Big East might have some reasonable level of concern about its next TV deal with what Fox and ESPN are now spending with the P5.

The Big East is strong again this year. 5 ranked teams. 4 Kenpom top 16. All without Villanova. I can definitely see them doing damage in the tourney this year.

RE: 2022-23 College Basketball General Thread - BearcatJerry - 03-06-2023 05:55 PM

(03-06-2023 10:45 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  I read some speculation online that Sean Miller may be headed to TX next season. Frankly, I'd be surprised if TX would take on a coach with his NCAA baggage. Maybe "going home to X" was just a pit stop after coaching a national championship contender in the Pac 12. It will be interesting to see if any team not coached by Jay Wright can advance in March from the new Big East. Other than 'Nova, that's not been the case since the split.

Texas Tech just suspended their head coach for making "racially insensitive" statements as well...

RE: 2022-23 College Basketball General Thread - OKIcat - 03-06-2023 06:27 PM

(03-06-2023 05:55 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

Texas Tech just suspended their head coach for making "racially insensitive" statements as well...

Bolded, maybe Sean Miller heads to Lubbock and changes those country music lyrics a little, "Happiness is Norwood, OH in my rearview mirror"?

RE: 2022-23 College Basketball General Thread - UCBearcatlawjd2 - 03-06-2023 06:57 PM

(03-06-2023 05:55 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

It’s why with a loss this week vs WVU I don’t see them getting an NIT bid. A 16-16 team that finished last place and has a suspended coach is good candidate to be snubbed for a post season bid.

RE: 2022-23 College Basketball General Thread - bearcatmark - 03-06-2023 07:03 PM

(03-05-2023 02:06 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I think Houston is possibly a bit overrated. They are good but I could see them bailing out earlier than expected.

They're elite. But their biggest issue is they don't get particularly good shots for a team with that much talent and skill. They settle for difficult shots. they are basically number 1 in every predictive metric except shot quality where they are 15. They are a huge outlier in the shot quality data. The thing is they are a great tough shot team. As we've seen a couple times this year, you can defend them perfectly and they'll still hit a fade away with a guy in their face. They are also a bit small up front.

I think the best path to beating Houston is hoping they just don't hit some of the tough shots they usually hit or if you hang a scoring big with elite size you can attack their interior guys (who are great but just don't have great size).

RE: 2022-23 College Basketball General Thread - rath v2.0 - 03-06-2023 07:41 PM

They let everyone with a pulse hang around for some reason. They pull it out at the end. Just saying all it takes is letting a team in the tournament hang around that probably shouldn't to go home too early.

RE: 2022-23 College Basketball General Thread - UCbball21 - 03-06-2023 07:45 PM

(03-06-2023 01:26 PM)bcat1997 Wrote:  

The Big East is strong again this year. 5 ranked teams. 4 Kenpom top 16. All without Villanova. I can definitely see them doing damage in the tourney this year.

Yeah, but are they doing damage in the TV ratings department? That's the danger of the Big East. They have a sweetheart deal with FOX but there is no guarantee that their next contract will have nearly as much exposure and maybe only a little more money.

Unfortunately for the Big East, football drives the bus and, without football, they are in danger of falling behind the B1G, SEC, ACC, and Big 12.