CSNbbs
NIU men picked last - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: NIU men picked last (/thread-958137.html)

Pages: 1 2

NIU men picked last - niu16 - 10-26-2022 04:24 PM

https://twitter.com/MACSports/status/1585269355918626817

RE: NIU men picked last - epasnoopy - 10-26-2022 04:55 PM

Guess they will be the like 2021 football team and end up finishing first and proving those doubters wrong! :-P

RE: NIU men picked last - pantone1935 - 10-26-2022 05:11 PM

With our history can you blame them.

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: NIU men picked last - HuskieDave - 10-26-2022 05:19 PM

And it is well earned.

RE: NIU men picked last - Big Red - 10-26-2022 05:54 PM

(10-26-2022 05:19 PM)HuskieDave Wrote:  And it is well earned.

Heck, they only have 5 returning players and of the newcomers, half of them are from overseas and no one has ever heard of them.

RE: NIU men picked last - HawaiiToNIU - 10-26-2022 07:54 PM

(10-26-2022 04:55 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  Guess they will be the like 2021 football team and end up finishing first and proving those doubters wrong! :-P

This is exactly what I thought

RE: NIU men picked last - NIUfilmmaker - 10-27-2022 06:33 AM

Wow, really, last? I thought the new coach was headed in a good direction?

RE: NIU men picked last - Dog Fan - 10-27-2022 06:39 AM

(10-27-2022 06:33 AM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  Wow, really, last? I thought the new coach was headed in a good direction?

Remember.......we are NIU! We don't do well in basketball. That is our tradition and trademark! We used to be good, but I also had hair and was in puberty when we were.

RE: NIU men picked last - Big Red - 10-27-2022 07:58 AM

(10-27-2022 06:33 AM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  Wow, really, last? I thought the new coach was headed in a good direction?

Until he proves otherwise (with recruits and with record), the stink of Montgomery is going to be on this team. Burno has no track record. He's been at NIU 1 year and he won 9 games. Actually...coming off Montgomery's last year and with (mostly) Montgomery's players and actually figuring out how to use Anthony Crump in a way that is somewhat useful) it's kinda looking like the program is improving.

Problem is (or maybe isn't), is that he lost a bunch of guys last year to pseudo-graduation and/or transfer. Honestly, there isn't one of those guys I'm going to pine for to come back. I'd say the only guy he has lost in his tenure here that actually matters is Cochran and I don't know that there's anything he could have done to keep him.

He's gone off-grid a bit in recruiting by going somewhat heavy in the international market and the results will definitely be interesting to watch. I know a lot of people aren't high on that market but high profile programs dip into pretty heavily (Gonzaga, Illinois) with really good results. Obviously, a program like NIU isn't getting the same caliber of player those other two programs are getting but its proof that there are good recruits to be had overseas, you just have to identify them which...I think is really hard to do. Which is why I'm a tad skeptical that he has the resources and information to pull this off, but I'm intrigued to see it play out because whatever the hell it was Montgomery was doing (sans the inexplicable Christmas gift he stumbled upon in Eugene German) was clearly not working and it is painfully obvious German was a massive band-aid on the program for about 4 years. Can you imagine the state of the program had German never been on the team? Yeesh...

Anyway, there's some really promising guys in Amos and Niederhauser and Coit and then some complete wildcards in guys like Youngblood and Nutter. This will be an interesting season and could be a fun one (and could be a miserable one) but I've got a feeling we won't finish last.

#Trap

RE: NIU men picked last - chihuskie - 10-27-2022 02:08 PM

I am all in. We will not finish worse than 8th in the MAC.

All in, baby!

RE: NIU men picked last - Big Red - 10-27-2022 05:18 PM

(10-27-2022 02:08 PM)chihuskie Wrote:  I am all in. We will not finish worse than 8th in the MAC.

All in, baby!

What are the Vegas odds on us making the MAC Tournament?03-lmfao

RE: NIU men picked last - HawaiiToNIU - 10-27-2022 05:55 PM

(10-27-2022 05:18 PM)Big Red Wrote:  
(10-27-2022 02:08 PM)chihuskie Wrote:  I am all in. We will not finish worse than 8th in the MAC.

All in, baby!

What are the MAC odds on us making the Vegas Tournament?

NIU men picked last - Dog Fan - 10-27-2022 06:00 PM

The Vegas odds are so great that if you bet $2 on NIU and they win the conference championship, you will be a multi- millionaire.

RE: NIU men picked last - Big Red - 10-27-2022 06:22 PM

(10-27-2022 05:55 PM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  
(10-27-2022 05:18 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

All in, baby!

What are the MAC odds on us making the Vegas Tournament?

Probably about the same as the MAC Tourney.

RE: NIU men picked last - pvk75 - 10-28-2022 02:53 AM

Just for fun, video of Rocket Mortgage $185 million renovation, which hosted the NBA All-Star game last February. Also posted on the WBB thread ...

https://youtu.be/3rDBycHF6dE

RE: NIU men picked last - BDB5yp - 10-28-2022 06:14 PM

A lot of new faces in this team. Should be interesting.

RE: NIU men picked last - Big Red - 10-28-2022 10:08 PM

The latest episode of Huskies On Tap was recorded at the Winter Sports event at Fatty's and includes an interview with Anthony Crump. A couple points I found interesting from the interview and the information reported by Brandon (per the Burno section of the event):

1. Anthony Crump is a JUNIOR and still has ONE MORE YEAR OF ELIGIBITY remaining (I have no idea how this is even possible but, when I predicted that Anthony Crump will never leave NIU...I wasn't joking)

2. Crump says the newcomer he's most excited about is David Coit. He said he's always in the gym and working. Crump said something about being impressed with Coit's ability to create scoring from inside and outside.

3. He said a ton of good stuff about Amos and said he was a mismatch for anyone guarding him (this is a paraphrase from something I heard like 16 or so hours ago and I don't recall his exact wording)...(okay, I decided to cheat and go back and watch Burno's interview).

4. According to Burno, it sounds like he's expecting Hunter to come off the bench as the primary 6th man.

5. Burno said the greatest benefit (other than teambuilding) of the Canadian trip was it allowed them to get in 10 additional practices (plus the games) which should help with having a team with 8 new players.

6. Thornton has put on size

7. Burno's goal was to get guys who could shoot, were athletic and who could protect the rim and he believes they have accomplished that with the players they brought in.

8. Nutter will bring versatility and size (6'7") to the guard/forward position

9. Coit apparently goes by "Diggy" and Burno thinks he'll be a fan favorite because of his ability to shoot, lead a team and his competitive fire.

10. Burno calls Amos a "chess piece" on the floor because he allows them to create mismatches based on where they put/play him.

RE: NIU men picked last - BigChilla - 10-29-2022 09:00 AM

Who is the starting five?

RE: NIU men picked last - Big Red - 10-29-2022 01:43 PM

(10-29-2022 09:00 AM)BigChilla Wrote:  Who is the starting five?

Unsure at this point, but trying to read the tea leaves from Burno's interview, I'd guess it'll be (sans any injuries) this to start the season:

G - Keyshawn Williams
G - Kaleb Thornton
F - Anthony Crump

These are carved in stone imo.

Then, for the other two spots, I was thinking it would be Darweshi Hunter and Zarique Nutter, but David Coit very well could be one of those starters as well as Zion Russell.

I'd think having both Coit and Russell in the starting lineup, alongside Williams and Thornton, makes for an extremly small starting lineup but they'd be quick as hell, that is for sure.

I think Nutter will start just because he provides size.

RE: NIU men picked last - Schaefer Beer - 10-29-2022 02:02 PM

I am curious if Durosinmi will be valuable to this team. He seems to have some size and when he was at Harcum College, he can put up some points. He has Div. 1 exp. playing with the Bonnie's last year so it will be interesting.