CSNbbs
Jon Wilner on the Big Ten/Notre Damw/Oregon and Washington - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Jon Wilner on the Big Ten/Notre Damw/Oregon and Washington (/thread-955787.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Jon Wilner on the Big Ten/Notre Damw/Oregon and Washington - Maize - 09-20-2022 02:11 PM

RE: Jon Wilner on the Big Ten/Notre Damw/Oregon and Washington - solohawks - 09-20-2022 02:15 PM

So it sounds like the PAC will sign a short term GOR to get them through the next decade or in alignment with the ACC.

Take SDSU and maybe SMU like everyone's suggesting

RE: Jon Wilner on the Big Ten/Notre Damw/Oregon and Washington - Poster - 09-20-2022 02:19 PM

(09-20-2022 02:15 PM)solohawks Wrote:  So it sounds like the PAC will sign a short term GOR to get them through the next decade or in alignment with the ACC.

I will be stunned if the PAC signs another Grant of Rights. In fact, I'll be stunned if any conference signs another Grant of Rights again. Those always have to be unaimous, and there will always be some teams in a conference who think they might leave. Those were only signed because some people got fooled into thinking realignment was over after the early 2010s.

I also haven't seen any evidence that SDSU and SMU add value to the PAC. (And I'm not even going to get started on the C-USA teams some people were suggesting in a thread today.) If the Big 10 is done expanding, I think the PAC will stay at 10.

RE: Jon Wilner on the Big Ten/Notre Damw/Oregon and Washington - Sicembear11 - 09-20-2022 02:24 PM

(09-20-2022 02:15 PM)solohawks Wrote:  So it sounds like the PAC will sign a short term GOR to get them through the next decade or in alignment with the ACC.

I could see the PAC getting a short term GOR signed, but it is questionable what value you can drum-up with something like a five year deal.

RE: Jon Wilner on the Big Ten/Notre Damw/Oregon and Washington - Big Frog II - 09-20-2022 02:27 PM

If they sigh a short term deal, I don't believe they add anyone.

RE: Jon Wilner on the Big Ten/Notre Damw/Oregon and Washington - BePcr07 - 09-20-2022 02:29 PM

Wow - PAC back in business, for now. The only XII school that would jump is BYU and they aren't getting an invite any time soon.

To 12: San Diego St, SMU
To 14: Rice, UNLV
> Based on the thread mentioning a CUSA program with the PAC. UNLV makes a ton of sense geographically but academics and athletic success are lacking. Probably the best #14 outside of Hawaii.

PAC (12)
North: California, Oregon, Oregon St, Stanford, Washington, Washington St
South: Arizona, Arizona St, Colorado, San Diego St, SMU, Utah

PAC(14)
South: Arizona, Arizona St, Colorado, Rice, SMU, UNLV, Utah
West: California, Oregon, Oregon St, San Diego St, Stanford, Washington, Washington St

My guess is they only go to 12. So what do the AAC (14/14) and MWC (11/10) do? Shift UTSA from the AAC to MWC.

AAC
East: Charlotte, East Carolina, Florida Atlantic, South Florida, Temple, UAB
West: Memphis, Navy*, North Texas, Rice, Tulane, Tulsa
* Football-Only
^ Non-Football: Wichita St

MWC
Mountain: Air Force, Colorado St, New Mexico, Utah St, UTSA, Wyoming
West: Boise St, Fresno St, Hawaii*, Nevada, San Jose St, UNLV

RE: Jon Wilner on the Big Ten/Notre Damw/Oregon and Washington - solohawks - 09-20-2022 02:29 PM

(09-20-2022 02:24 PM)Sicembear11 Wrote:  

I could see the PAC getting a short term GOR signed, but it is questionable what value you can drum-up with something like a five year deal.

Its just gotta be enough to make to make the a Big 12 move unappealing

There's no where else for them to go.

The logical outcome is going all in with ESPN, adding SDSU and SMU, and having ESPN take over the PAC 12 networks or fold them into ESPN+

RE: Jon Wilner on the Big Ten/Notre Damw/Oregon and Washington - HawaiiMongoose - 09-20-2022 02:30 PM

(09-20-2022 02:19 PM)Poster Wrote:  

I will be stunned if the PAC signs another Grant of Rights. In fact, I'll be stunned if any conference signs another Grant of Rights again. Those always have to be unaimous, and there will always be some teams in a conference who think they might leave. Those were only signed because some people got fooled into thinking realignment was over after the early 2010s.

I also haven't seen any evidence that SDSU and SMU add value to the PAC. (And I'm not even going to get started on the C-USA teams some people were suggesting in a thread today.) If the Big 10 is done expanding, I think the PAC will stay at 10.

^^^
This.

RE: Jon Wilner on the Big Ten/Notre Damw/Oregon and Washington - solohawks - 09-20-2022 02:33 PM

(09-20-2022 02:30 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  

^^^
This.

Yall don't think they will at least add SDSU to get to 11 and keep somewhat of a presence in SoCal?

RE: Jon Wilner on the Big Ten/Notre Damw/Oregon and Washington - bullet - 09-20-2022 02:44 PM

I don't see Oregon and Washington signing a GOR with the Pac.

I'm inclined to think the Pac also stands pat at 10 if the Big 10 don't take anyone else. Anyone they could add would be dilutive. There would be some reasons to add SDSU, but i don't think they do it.

RE: Jon Wilner on the Big Ten/Notre Damw/Oregon and Washington - goofus - 09-20-2022 02:49 PM

Stanford, Cal --> ACC

Wash, Ore ---> Big Ten

Utah, Col, Ariz, ASU. ---> Big12

SDSU, Fresno, UNLV, Boise, ColSt, NM --> PAC

UTEP, NMSU ---> MWC

RE: Jon Wilner on the Big Ten/Notre Damw/Oregon and Washington - PeteTheChop - 09-20-2022 02:52 PM

(09-20-2022 02:11 PM)Maize Wrote:  ND isn't joining the Big Ten anytime soon.

Per George Kliavkoff

RE: Jon Wilner on the Big Ten/Notre Damw/Oregon and Washington - XLance - 09-20-2022 02:56 PM

Any conference would be hard pressed to find a media partner that wouldn't insist on a GOR to protect the interests of the media company.

RE: Jon Wilner on the Big Ten/Notre Damw/Oregon and Washington - Poster - 09-20-2022 03:02 PM

(09-20-2022 02:56 PM)XLance Wrote:  

Any conference would be hard pressed to find a media partner that wouldn't insist on a GOR to protect the interests of the media company.

Maybe a GOR adds $1 million a year or something to a tv contract. I would still be very surprised if Oregon and Washington agree to it. (Except maybe if the contract is for 2 years or something extremely short.)

Aren't there rumors that Oregon and Washington are pushing for unequal sharing in the next contract? They pretty clearly aren't looking out for the conference as a whole.

RE: Jon Wilner on the Big Ten/Notre Damw/Oregon and Washington - superdeluxe - 09-20-2022 03:03 PM

No way I see UW or Oregon signing any kind of GOR unless they get a bit more $$

RE: Jon Wilner on the Big Ten/Notre Damw/Oregon and Washington - Scoochpooch1 - 09-20-2022 03:04 PM

(09-20-2022 02:49 PM)goofus Wrote:  Stanford, Cal --> ACC

Wash, Ore ---> Big Ten

Utah, Col, Ariz, ASU. ---> Big12

SDSU, Fresno, UNLV, Boise, ColSt, NM --> PAC

UTEP, NMSU ---> MWC

And MWC then adds 10 FCS teams per realignment rules.

RE: Jon Wilner on the Big Ten/Notre Damw/Oregon and Washington - bullet - 09-20-2022 03:12 PM

GORs just came into place with the conference networks. They are protected by a conference composition clause.

RE: Jon Wilner on the Big Ten/Notre Damw/Oregon and Washington - BcatMatt13 - 09-20-2022 03:13 PM

Man these two guys don’t stop

RE: Jon Wilner on the Big Ten/Notre Damw/Oregon and Washington - EdwordL - 09-20-2022 03:20 PM

That fact may have been somewhat blurred by one network (ESPN) seeking to lure two high brand value programs (OU, UT) and hoping they could leave their current conference a couple of years early. But the GOR also protects ESPN from losing OU and UT to Fox (Big Ten).

RE: Jon Wilner on the Big Ten/Notre Damw/Oregon and Washington - Poster - 09-20-2022 03:35 PM

(09-20-2022 03:12 PM)bullet Wrote:  

GORs just came into place with the conference networks. They are protected by a conference composition clause.

Grant of Rights were invented by David Boren of Oklahoma. The Big Ten and SEC do not have grant of rights.