CSNbbs
2022 College Football Season Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: 2022 College Football Season Thread (/thread-953659.html)

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - Lurkercat - 10-08-2022 06:27 PM

(10-08-2022 06:20 PM)bcat1997 Wrote:  
(10-08-2022 05:21 PM)Lurkercat Wrote:  
(10-08-2022 05:15 PM)eroc Wrote:  Not getting much in the form of help from other top 25 teams.

#17 beat #19 Kansas
#18 UCLA up on #11 utes
asu up on #21 Washington

Given our performance we might move up one, at most two spots. That said, i wouldn't be shocked if they didn't move us up at all

If tech holds on they'll probably jump us. UNC possibly as well. Personally I still believe it doesn't matter. Win the league and we'll be somewhere between 15-20 and be looking at a hopefully beatable ny6 matchup instead of a Florida/uga/bama type team.

I'm not sure how good we are. Temple is the only easy team left. I think we lose 1 or 2 the rest of the way. Make the conf championship game. Doubtful on NY6. Hopefully I'm wrong. Tulsa and USF two of the worst teams in league and we struggled with both. I would be more optimistic with Prater going.

Our best team ever couldn't even run through this league without some really ugly games last year, so I'm not too worried about today personally. We're good enough to win out and play in a NY6 but not good enough to where it's a guarantee so we could still end up in the beef jerky bowl. At UCF is still the big one and hopefully we show up for at least 3 quarters

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - BearcatMan - 10-08-2022 08:31 PM

(10-08-2022 06:27 PM)Lurkercat Wrote:  
(10-08-2022 06:20 PM)bcat1997 Wrote:  
(10-08-2022 05:21 PM)Lurkercat Wrote:  
(10-08-2022 05:15 PM)eroc Wrote:  Not getting much in the form of help from other top 25 teams.

#17 beat #19 Kansas
#18 UCLA up on #11 utes
asu up on #21 Washington

Given our performance we might move up one, at most two spots. That said, i wouldn't be shocked if they didn't move us up at all

If tech holds on they'll probably jump us. UNC possibly as well. Personally I still believe it doesn't matter. Win the league and we'll be somewhere between 15-20 and be looking at a hopefully beatable ny6 matchup instead of a Florida/uga/bama type team.

I'm not sure how good we are. Temple is the only easy team left. I think we lose 1 or 2 the rest of the way. Make the conf championship game. Doubtful on NY6. Hopefully I'm wrong. Tulsa and USF two of the worst teams in league and we struggled with both. I would be more optimistic with Prater going.

Our best team ever couldn't even run through this league without some really ugly games last year, so I'm not too worried about today personally. We're good enough to win out and play in a NY6 but not good enough to where it's a guarantee so we could still end up in the beef jerky bowl. At UCF is still the big one and hopefully we show up for at least 3 quarters

With how poorly we have contained rushing QBs so far this season, UCF is going to be extremely difficult.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - rath v2.0 - 10-08-2022 08:36 PM

It's nuts how dreadful we can be against running QB's as opposed to pocket passers.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - CliftonAve - 10-09-2022 06:12 AM

Illinois’ 9-6 win over Iowa is the most Illinois v Iowa score ever.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - eroc - 10-09-2022 06:22 AM

(10-09-2022 06:12 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Illinois’ 9-6 win over Iowa is the most Illinois v Iowa score ever.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - rath v2.0 - 10-09-2022 09:36 AM

Alabama came about as close to losing as is possible. Down by 4, A&M had it 1st and goal from the 2 yard line with 3 seconds to go for one last play for the win.

The backup QB for Alabama started in place of Bryce Young...Milroe was highly rated but he'd probably be the QB3 at UC. They better hope Young gets healthy or they are going to get dump trucked by Tennessee. Might happen anyways. UT is really good.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - bcat1997 - 10-09-2022 11:19 AM

(10-09-2022 09:36 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Alabama came about as close to losing as is possible. Down by 4, A&M had it 1st and goal from the 2 yard line with 3 seconds to go for one last play for the win.

The backup QB for Alabama started in place of Bryce Young...Milroe was highly rated but he'd probably be the QB3 at UC. They better hope Young gets healthy or they are going to get dump trucked by Tennessee. Might happen anyways. UT is really good.

I hope so, this **** gets old every year with same 4 teams

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - OKIcat - 10-09-2022 12:05 PM

(10-09-2022 06:12 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Illinois’ 9-6 win over Iowa is the most Illinois v Iowa score ever.

Isn't Iowa averaging about one TD a game, LOL? Fans at that game yesterday didn't see a TD for either team the entire game.

Remember, that's an IL team that lost to Indiana. I have no argument with OSU and MI but after that, much of the B10 is very average. The Nebraska vs. Rutgers game the other night was equally painful to watch. There are plenty of "B10 conference fans" around the Midwest who seem to think their own teams are anointed by the work of OSU/MI. That's another reason I'd like to see UC pursue more home and home series with those other regional B10 teams for our one P5 non-conference game each year.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - geef - 10-09-2022 12:16 PM

(10-09-2022 11:19 AM)bcat1997 Wrote:  
(10-09-2022 09:36 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Alabama came about as close to losing as is possible. Down by 4, A&M had it 1st and goal from the 2 yard line with 3 seconds to go for one last play for the win.

A loss to Tennessee doesn't guarantee that Alabama won't make the playoffs, but I'm with you in hoping for some new blood.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - bww - 10-10-2022 08:57 PM

This is probably a parody account, but it gave me a chuckle when I read it.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - Edgebrookjeff - 10-11-2022 05:56 AM

(10-09-2022 11:19 AM)bcat1997 Wrote:  

Even if Tennessee wins this game, it doesn't mean Alabama won't somehow make it into the playoff.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - Captain Bearcat - 10-11-2022 04:47 PM

(10-09-2022 12:05 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  

Isn't Iowa averaging about one TD a game, LOL? Fans at that game yesterday didn't see a TD for either team the entire game.

Remember, that's an IL team that lost to Indiana. I have no argument with OSU and MI but after that, much of the B10 is very average. The Nebraska vs. Rutgers game the other night was equally painful to watch. There are plenty of "B10 conference fans" around the Midwest who seem to think their own teams are anointed by the work of OSU/MI. That's another reason I'd like to see UC pursue more home and home series with those other regional B10 teams for our one P5 non-conference game each year.

Oh, I don't know. Most of the rest of the Big Ten is usually pretty decent. They're not the SEC, but even if you remove OSU & Michigan they're usually better than the ACC or PAC.

This year:
Minnesota, Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, and Penn State are all 3-0 out of conference.

Purdue is 2-1 out of conference, and the loss was by 3 points on the road against 5-0 Syracuse.

Iowa & Wisconsin & Michigan State & Indiana aren't great, but they're all 2-1 out-of-conference, and all of the losses are respectable.

The only teams who crapped the bed in the nonconference are Nebraska (who has rebounded since then) and Northwestern.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - bearcatmark - 10-11-2022 05:02 PM

(10-11-2022 04:47 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  

Oh, I don't know. Most of the rest of the Big Ten is usually pretty decent. They're not the SEC, but even if you remove OSU & Michigan they're usually better than the ACC or PAC.

This year:
Minnesota, Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, and Penn State are all 3-0 out of conference.

Purdue is 2-1 out of conference, and the loss was by 3 points on the road against 5-0 Syracuse.

Iowa & Wisconsin & Michigan State & Indiana aren't great, but they're all 2-1 out-of-conference, and all of the losses are respectable.

The only teams who crapped the bed in the nonconference are Nebraska (who has rebounded since then) and Northwestern.

They put up records playing bad teams at home.

Minnesota beat New Mexico State, Western Illinois and Colorado.

Illinois beat Wyoming, Virginia and Chattanooga

Maryland beat Buffalo and Charlotte. They do have a nice one possession home win over SMU.

Rutgers has two close road wins over BC and a terrible Temple team (by 2). Good for them. That's probably the most challenging non conference schedule of that group.

I agree Penn State is really damn good...but these mid/low big ten teams aren't any better than most the AAC. They just play bad teams at home in the nonconference and avoid games they might lose.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - doss2 - 10-11-2022 05:41 PM

This year:

That is because they will not play decent G5 teams.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - Captain Bearcat - 10-12-2022 06:40 AM

(10-11-2022 05:02 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

This year:

Maryland beat Buffalo and Charlotte. They do have a nice one possession home win over SMU.

Rutgers has two close road wins over BC and a terrible Temple team (by 2). Good for them. That's probably the most challenging non conference schedule of that group.

I agree Penn State is really damn good...but these mid/low big ten teams aren't any better than most the AAC. They just play bad teams at home in the nonconference and avoid games they might lose.

It's fair to knock their schedule. But they took care of business (other than Northwestern & Nebraska).

But in the AAC, Tulane, Tulsa, and Navy did not take care of business.

Further, SMU lost to a middling Big Ten team (Maryland). Temple lost to a Big Ten team (Rutgers) that is 0-3 in Big Ten play. Can't hang our hat on them in a comparison to the Big Ten.

UCF beat no one of note (Georgia Tech, FAU, SC State). Memphis beat no one of note (Arkansas State & North Texas). Houston beat no one of note (Rice and UTSA). ECU beat no one of note (ODU and Campbell).

That leaves just USF and Cincinnati. And surely you're not hanging our conference's hat on USF....

We're 6 weeks in, and the computers have started to be relatively decent. Here's the 2 of them that were easy for me to compile by conference:

Average Ranking in Massey Rating:
44.4 - Big Ten minus OSU/Michigan
52.2 - PAC
56.7 - ACC
72.6 - American

Average Sagarin Rating (higher is better)
76.6 - PAC
74.6 - Big Ten minus OSU/Michigan
73.3 - ACC
69.3 - American

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - bearcatmark - 10-12-2022 06:48 AM

Is your point the big 10 is better than the aac? No ****. It has osu, Michigan and penn state. My point is those middling big ten teams you're championing for some reason aren't that great. They just get the advantage of playing nearly every nonconference game at home and playing nobody. None of them have a win on the stratosphere of Tulane over Kansas state for example.

Maryland and smu are similar quality teams. Maryland played that game at home. Everyone minimizes how big an advantage not playing quality g5 teams away from home is.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - doss2 - 10-12-2022 09:16 AM

NCAA Football On TV Wednesday, 10/12/22
NCAA FOOTBALL GAMES TIME ET TV
Louisiana at Marshall 7:30pm ESPN2

NCAA Football On TV Thursday, 10/13/22
Baylor at West Virginia 7:00pm FS1
Temple at UCF 7:00pm ESPN

NCAA Football On TV Friday, 10/14/22
Navy at SMU 7:30pm ESPN
UTSA at FIU 8:00pm CBSSN

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - OKIcat - 10-12-2022 10:42 AM

(10-12-2022 06:48 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  Is your point the big 10 is better than the aac? No ****. It has osu, Michigan and penn state. My point is those middling big ten teams you're championing for some reason aren't that great. They just get the advantage of playing nearly every nonconference game at home and playing nobody. None of them have a win on the stratosphere of Tulane over Kansas state for example.

Maryland and smu are similar quality teams. Maryland played that game at home. Everyone minimizes how big an advantage not playing quality g5 teams away from home is.

Bolded, not quite sure how my post on the arrogance of B10 fans became a comparison with the American the past couple of days. It was really about the hubris we hear from some myopic B10 fans when most who watch college football would agree the SEC, with three different schools winning five of the last seven national championships, is clearly dominant. Between the SEC and ACC Clemson, OSU took one title and no other B10 school has claimed one since MI a quarter century ago.

Few here would ever brag about the American. This year's version of the B12 appears to be pretty special so far so UC's future looks brighter than ever before.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - namrag - 10-12-2022 10:53 AM

(10-11-2022 05:02 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

This year:

Yup…

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - namrag - 10-12-2022 10:53 AM

(10-12-2022 06:48 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  Is your point the big 10 is better than the aac? No ****. It has osu, Michigan and penn state. My point is those middling big ten teams you're championing for some reason aren't that great. They just get the advantage of playing nearly every nonconference game at home and playing nobody. None of them have a win on the stratosphere of Tulane over Kansas state for example.

Yup, yup…