CSNbbs
2022 College Football Season Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: 2022 College Football Season Thread (/thread-953659.html)

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - BcatMatt13 - 10-01-2022 07:38 AM

That last game at Nippert is looking more and more interesting by the day.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - doss2 - 10-01-2022 07:45 AM

(09-30-2022 08:22 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Remember when Boise St used to matter?

They smoked SDSU 35-13, 35-0 in second half.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - Kyle Mack - 10-01-2022 07:52 AM

(10-01-2022 07:38 AM)BcatMatt13 Wrote:  That last game at Nippert is looking more and more interesting by the day.

UC will slap and drag Tulane all over the field.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - TheGreatNate - 10-01-2022 08:23 AM

(09-30-2022 09:49 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  I've never been especially impressed with Holgerson as a HC, but I did wonder if opposing fans in particular were being a little too critical. But watching the end of that game tonight, it sure feels like his tenure in Houston is circling the toilet bowl and headed for a final flush. I'm not saying it cost them the game, but I don't recall ever seeing a team winning the coin toss in OT and electing to take the ball first.

Conversely, I have defended Tulane as an AAC member (OK partially for the potential road trips), in the face of a lot of negativity around here that we had to share a conference with them. As with a lot of programs, the key is finding the right head coach. It hasn't been all smooth sailing (e.g. last week's close loss to S. Miss), but it looks like they may have found the right guy in Wilie Fritz. It could end up being interesting to see if other programs come calling for him.

Apparently the Houston coaching staff analyzed a number of OT games before the season and came to the conclusion that the team with the ball first wins more of the time (maybe 54%? I don't remember the exact number). There was an article about it on The Athletic a few weeks back.

I think this is their third OT game of the season though, of which I think they've won one, so I'm not sure this analysis is really panning out for them...

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - OKIcat - 10-01-2022 08:33 AM

(09-30-2022 09:49 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  I've never been especially impressed with Holgerson as a HC, but I did wonder if opposing fans in particular were being a little too critical. But watching the end of that game tonight, it sure feels like his tenure in Houston is circling the toilet bowl and headed for a final flush. I'm not saying it cost them the game, but I don't recall ever seeing a team winning the coin toss in OT and electing to take the ball first.

Conversely, I have defended Tulane as an AAC member (OK partially for the potential road trips), in the face of a lot of negativity around here that we had to share a conference with them. As with a lot of programs, the key is finding the right head coach. It hasn't been all smooth sailing (e.g. last week's close loss to S. Miss), but it looks like they may have found the right guy in Wilie Fritz. It could end up being interesting to see if other programs come calling for him.

Bolded, my guess is Fritz will have attractive offers at the end of the season (Could he be Houston's next coach?).

I watched about half that game last night and enjoyed the way Tulane played. I believe the Green Wave was down to its third string freshman QB early in the first half and they fought all that much harder.

I'll always believe Houston was a distant fourth of four picks for the new Big 12. One has to wonder, if not for Sampson's recent Final Four and/or a single donor with an open checkbook, would the Big 12 have taken USF, Memphis, or SDSU instead? Regarding the "crowd" it was pathetic as usual for Houston football and basketball isn't much different. We, as in the new Big 12, need Houston to be much better. One must think TCU, Baylor, and TTU will help fill that stadium when they come calling but the onus is on UH to build its own following.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - bcat1997 - 10-01-2022 08:49 AM

(10-01-2022 08:23 AM)TheGreatNate Wrote:  

Apparently the Houston coaching staff analyzed a number of OT games before the season and came to the conclusion that the team with the ball first wins more of the time (maybe 54%? I don't remember the exact number). There was an article about it on The Athletic a few weeks back.

I think this is their third OT game of the season though, of which I think they've won one, so I'm not sure this analysis is really panning out for them...

This is just stupid. You get to 4th down and you have to take points if you get the ball first. You take it second and have to score TD you go for it on 4th. It's an extra down essentially. This is anti-analytics.

The melt down from Holgs on the delay of game was embarrassing. Dude needs to go.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - UCGrad1992 - 10-01-2022 08:53 AM

(10-01-2022 07:45 AM)doss2 Wrote:  
(09-30-2022 08:22 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Remember when Boise St used to matter?

They smoked SDSU 35-13, 35-0 in second half.

True. That said, what are they now? 3-2. When have they ever been in any recent coversation as a top "best of the rest" program or in any major bowls? It feels like they've missed their opportunity. Probably doesn't help playing in nowhere Idaho late at TV night.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - glacier_dropsy - 10-01-2022 09:58 AM

Houston looking foolish in the black uniforms reminds me of this.

https://youtu.be/fcBVIJu1F9A

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - cmhcat - 10-01-2022 11:23 AM

Tulane has three SEC football championship trophies laying around somewhere.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - Bearhawkeye - 10-01-2022 11:35 AM

(10-01-2022 07:17 AM)eroc Wrote:  
(09-30-2022 10:14 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  I look at the momentum of the four adds to the nB12 next season. Cincinnati and BYU have it. UCF? Meh. Houston? Not a good time to have a drinking retread leading the helm. His lone winning season [12-2] last year was a fluke. 4-8, 3-5, and now 2-3.

i believe they were missing some key starters last night. That said, injuries happen to all of us so that's only so much of an excuse, especially if you are anointed as the preseason pick to win the conference. At this point, even getting bowl eligible will be a task and since they are already so far down the pecking order, i'll probably be rooting against them the remainder of the season.

Setting BYU aside because of their religious affiliation, and naturally i have nothing but 100% confidence in Coach Fickell and co., i look at UCF and wonder if they'll ever right the ship (i figure that Houston was more an add for their bball then football in the first place) or was this a "right place/right time" situation? if you look at TCU, another school that capitalized on positive outcomes to land in the b12, they haven't done all that much since, and they had a lot more HC stability then Houston, with Gary Patterson having led them for over a decade.

Would anyone be surprised if Houston and UCF ended up being football filler for the conference, like Texas Tech and TCU?

Yes, I would. Without looking at the data, to me the only football doormat in the B12 is Kansas. And they actually might be pretty good this year. This goes to my main point that it's all about finding the right head coach. Sure you've got to have other ingredients (e.g. a supportive administration especially when it comes to $ and a strong recruiting base doesn't hurt.) But I don't see those as likely issues for Houston and UCF.

The competition will be fierce and I think there will be a lot of teams rotating from the top half of the standings to the bottom half (and vice versa) most years or every few years. Quality coaching stability will be a big part of that.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - Bearhawkeye - 10-01-2022 11:38 AM

(10-01-2022 08:23 AM)TheGreatNate Wrote:  

Interesting. Musta missed that - maybe I'll try to look it up - thanks.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - Bearhawkeye - 10-01-2022 11:51 AM

(10-01-2022 08:33 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  

Bolded, my guess is Fritz will have attractive offers at the end of the season (Could he be Houston's next coach?).

I watched about half that game last night and enjoyed the way Tulane played. I believe the Green Wave was down to its third string freshman QB early in the first half and they fought all that much harder.

I'll always believe Houston was a distant fourth of four picks for the new Big 12. One has to wonder, if not for Sampson's recent Final Four and/or a single donor with an open checkbook, would the Big 12 have taken USF, Memphis, or SDSU instead? Regarding the "crowd" it was pathetic as usual for Houston football and basketball isn't much different. We, as in the new Big 12, need Houston to be much better. One must think TCU, Baylor, and TTU will help fill that stadium when they come calling but the onus is on UH to build its own following.

I rewrote that sentence to the version you read shortly after posting it as I dug a little deeper. I like Fritz but I'm not sure how much in demand he'll be even if Tulane continues finishes off a very nice season.

Even if you assume Fritz has built Tulane into a fairly decent program based upon this year, it hasn't been a quick rebuild including a 2-10 record last year and only one season out of six of .500 or better in AAC games. At Tulane he is 35-44 and 17-32 in the AAC so far in his 7th season there. Add in his age of 62 and I'm not sure that's an easy sell to a big bucks fanbase.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - Bear Catlett - 10-01-2022 12:53 PM

HEY LOOK !!! IT'S HALFTIME AND IOWA HASN'T SCORED !!!

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - bearcatmark - 10-01-2022 12:57 PM

Indiana beat this Illinois team.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - Bearcat419 - 10-01-2022 01:08 PM

Oklahoma, bahahahaha

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - OKIcat - 10-01-2022 01:10 PM

(10-01-2022 12:57 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  Indiana beat this Illinois team.

I'm curious to see what IU does @ Nebraska tonight; neither team is stellar.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - BearcatMan - 10-01-2022 01:11 PM

Big 12 is just taking the trash to the curb at this point. Jesus Christ this is a different level beatdown. TCU had 480 yards in the half!!!

Memphis turned into a pile of loosely organized horse excrement. Pretty tough to throw for 3.8 yard per pass attempt.

Wisconsin and Minnesota flopping around like dead animals.

And all of that pales in comparison to Kirk Ferentz being able to run out this "offense" every week and Kinnick Stadium still being full.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - doss2 - 10-01-2022 01:46 PM

Getting tired of Judge crap, I want to watch football.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - BearcatMan - 10-01-2022 01:52 PM

(10-01-2022 01:46 PM)doss2 Wrote:  Getting tired of Judge crap, I want to watch football.

Flip over to Fox and CBS...they, thankfully, don't give a crap about baseball on CFB's day.

RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - UCGrad1992 - 10-01-2022 02:58 PM

Look for the NFL-esque Alabama take the Hogs to slaughter. Razorbacks try to challenge Young with one-on-one coverage and blitzed only to get burned by a TD pass. Suddenly, Arky falls to 3-2.