CSNbbs
2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread (/thread-952100.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - natibeast2.0 - 11-10-2022 10:40 AM

(11-10-2022 10:13 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(11-10-2022 09:38 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Bryant's pace through these 9 games would put him at the below statline for the season:

274/433 (63%) for 3406 yards and 26 TDs with 8 INTs

Knowing that Temple is coming up and the ECU's defense has been below average against the pass, my guess is that pace will be adjusted up, but...

274 completions would rank 1st all time at UC for a season
3406 yards would rank 2nd all time at UC for a season
26 TDs would rank 5th all time at UC for a season

The illusion that Bryant is a sub-par QB is just not correct in so many ways. The problem is, and will continue to be, the OL's inability to protect him and block effectively for the run. He has consistently received pressure from his blind side and up the middle, which are the absolute worst places for a pocket passer to get pressure...and part of that is due to our all-everything center going down with an injury four days before the season started. If Renfro was in there, my guess is we would have a far different tone about Ben (and the season as a whole), but unfortunately we can't play the 'if, then' game now.

I do understand why some might look at that paragraph and say "but Prater would be able to avoid that pressure" and my immediate response would be that those passing numbers wouldn't be anywhere close to what they are now with the switch. We are in a position where we have a very solid QB who has led the team to a 7-2 (4-1) record and has put the team in a position to win a league championship. Only the most "optimistic" among us looked at this roster after the losses we absorbed to the NFL and thought we would be in a position to make the CFP. We are right where this roster should be right now, and my hope is that Prater takes this season to really work on areas where he definitely needs to based on what I have seen personally and what others have told me consistently throughout the past three years about his game.

The more interesting thing is going to be when people start looking at Brady Drogosh's tape and realize that he is basically an Evan Prater clone without the wonky throwing motion and the 513 area code.

I remember watching some videos of Drogosh in action when he first committed. Right away it was apparent to me he was just on a different level with his size, speed, athleticism and ability to throw the ball. Guys with all of his tools from the Midwest usually wind up at Notre Dame or certain B10 schools. I think UC fans are going to be extremely happy with Mr. Drogosh.

Agreed. I can't believe we got him assuming he signs. Looks almost like 5 star talent to me.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - BearcatMan - 11-10-2022 10:45 AM

(11-10-2022 10:40 AM)natibeast2.0 Wrote:  
(11-10-2022 09:38 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Bryant's pace through these 9 games would put him at the below statline for the season:

Knowing that Temple is coming up and the ECU's defense has been below average against the pass, my guess is that pace will be adjusted up, but...

The illusion that Bryant is a sub-par QB is just not correct in so many ways. The problem is, and will continue to be, the OL's inability to protect him and block effectively for the run. He has consistently received pressure from his blind side and up the middle, which are the absolute worst places for a pocket passer to get pressure...and part of that is due to our all-everything center going down with an injury four days before the season started. If Renfro was in there, my guess is we would have a far different tone about Ben (and the season as a whole), but unfortunately we can't play the 'if, then' game now.

I do understand why some might look at that paragraph and say "but Prater would be able to avoid that pressure" and my immediate response would be that those passing numbers wouldn't be anywhere close to what they are now with the switch. We are in a position where we have a very solid QB who has led the team to a 7-2 (4-1) record and has put the team in a position to win a league championship. Only the most "optimistic" among us looked at this roster after the losses we absorbed to the NFL and thought we would be in a position to make the CFP. We are right where this roster should be right now, and my hope is that Prater takes this season to really work on areas where he definitely needs to based on what I have seen personally and what others have told me consistently throughout the past three years about his game.

The more interesting thing is going to be when people start looking at Brady Drogosh's tape and realize that he is basically an Evan Prater clone without the wonky throwing motion and the 513 area code.

I remember watching some videos of Drogosh in action when he first committed. Right away it was apparent to me he was just on a different level with his size, speed, athleticism and ability to throw the ball. Guys with all of his tools from the Midwest usually wind up at Notre Dame or certain B10 schools. I think UC fans are going to be extremely happy with Mr. Drogosh.

Agreed. I can't believe we got him assuming he signs. Looks almost like 5 star talent to me.

Having seen him play 6 times in the last two years, he will need some seasoning on the passing side, but the kid is monstrously athletic, and has the arm to be able to hit windows when asked without the significant delay in his motion that Prater has. The problem is that he isn't asked a lot as DLS plays a form of offense that asks him to run far more than he has to pass, and they're normally blowing teams out early in games so passing isn't really required at all.

His statline is pretty insane given the competition he plays against (The DCL is basically the only conference in MI worth a damn):

Passing: 83-for-124 (67%) for 1,376 yards and 22 touchdowns with four interceptions. Rushing: 952 yards and 10 touchdowns on 101 carries, averaging 9.42 yards per carry.

He also ran a 4.21 shuttle in the Elite 11 Prelims, which is a faster time than Alec Pierce ran...40 time was in the mid 4.6s, so slightly slower than Des, but Brady Collins those are pretty solid numbers. Also has a bit more weight than Prater. He isn't going to come in and start from day one, or take Prater's spot, but he is going to be a very good one for us down the road IMO, especially with Richesson no longer here and there being a gap in the room for two years between Lichtenberg and Drogosh.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - doss2 - 11-10-2022 11:08 AM

(11-10-2022 10:45 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Having seen him play 6 times in the last two years, he will need some seasoning on the passing side, but the kid is monstrously athletic, and has the arm to be able to hit windows when asked without the significant delay in his motion that Prater has. The problem is that he isn't asked a lot as DLS plays a form of offense that asks him to run far more than he has to pass, and they're normally blowing teams out early in games so passing isn't really required at all.

His statline is pretty insane given the competition he plays against (The DCL is basically the only conference in MI worth a damn):

Passing: 83-for-124 (67%) for 1,376 yards and 22 touchdowns with four interceptions. Rushing: 952 yards and 10 touchdowns on 101 carries, averaging 9.42 yards per carry.

He also ran a 4.21 shuttle in the Elite 11 Prelims, which is a faster time than Alec Pierce ran...40 time was in the mid 4.6s, so slightly slower than Des, but Brady Collins those are pretty solid numbers. Also has a bit more weight than Prater. He isn't going to come in and start from day one, or take Prater's spot, but he is going to be a very good one for us down the road IMO, especially with Richesson no longer here and there being a gap in the room for two years between Lichtenberg and Drogosh.
Bryant will be QB #1 again next year unless he goes into the draft.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - Cal1362 - 11-10-2022 11:40 AM

(11-10-2022 10:07 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I'm not sure I wouldn't put an auto blitz on every down that was not short yardage. Our RBs are terrible at picking it up and out OL has never seen a stunt that doesn't seem like an innovation in defense.

Bolded.... I'd submit that UC's RBs (especially RM and CM) do an above average to very good job of picking up blitzes. What I've noticed is that several teams don't just blitz UC but over blitz by which I mean they send at least one more defensive guy than UC has blockers - including the RBs. Couple that with the slow developing routes and what appears to be a lack of pocket and blitz awareness by Bryant and/or the receiving corp and the results are very plain to see.

I'll say again, my issues are not so much with BB as they are with GG and the play calling and offensive strategy overall. If we know the weakness of the offense, every D coordinator we face knows it and will try to exploit it... where's the innovation or the game planning to protect BB and allow the offense to be successful? GG continues to game plan as if he has a Des or EP set of physical tools to work with instead of leveraging and playing to BBs strengths and the tendencies of the Ds we will be facing. That has to change and improve if the Bearcats are to repeat as AAC champs

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - BearcatMan - 11-10-2022 12:23 PM

(11-10-2022 11:08 AM)doss2 Wrote:  
(11-10-2022 10:45 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Bryant will be QB #1 again next year unless he goes into the draft.

Yes...and it is expected that he will be done after this year by many people both inside and outside of the program at this point. But if not, we will have a QB starting next year who is close to setting multiple school records, hardly a bad thing IMO.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - eroc - 11-12-2022 12:08 AM

is Tyler Scott eligible to declare for the draft? His Bearcat profile shows him as a Junior. if so, i'm curious to see what grade he gets. Naturally, he's got the speed and makes tough catches, but size might be an issue.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - BearcatMan - 11-12-2022 12:12 AM

(11-12-2022 12:08 AM)eroc Wrote:  is Tyler Scott eligible to declare for the draft? His Bearcat profile shows him as a Junior. if so, i'm curious to see what grade he gets. Naturally, he's got the speed and makes tough catches, but size might be an issue.

Yep, he is. He'll end this season with over 1,000 yards (first time since 2010) and double digit TDs while missing a game. There is a very realistic comp to Tyreek Hill out there for him...and he could test out of this world at the Combine and sneak into Day 2 IMO. He probably won't be able to put more impressive stuff on his tape next year if Prater is throwing the ball to him or Ben has to stand behind the guys who couldn't beat out this OL.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - eroc - 11-12-2022 12:19 AM

(11-12-2022 12:12 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(11-12-2022 12:08 AM)eroc Wrote:  is Tyler Scott eligible to declare for the draft? His Bearcat profile shows him as a Junior. if so, i'm curious to see what grade he gets. Naturally, he's got the speed and makes tough catches, but size might be an issue.

Yep, he is. He'll end this season with over 1,000 yards (first time since 2010) and double digit TDs while missing a game. There is a very realistic comp to Tyreek Hill out there for him...and he could test out of this world at the Combine and sneak into Day 2 IMO. He probably won't be able to put more impressive stuff on his tape next year if Prater is throwing the ball to him or Ben has to stand behind the guys who couldn't beat out this OL.

That all makes sense. it'll be a big loss and that pre-season rep of having a stacked WR room seems to be slightly overblown, at least at this point and time.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - eroc - 11-12-2022 12:22 AM

Was going to put this in the ECU thread but this applies to this season in its entirety really. This team has really regressed in terms of tackling. Bad form. Bad angles. it doesn't apply to everyone but it just feels like the sure tackling that was a hallmark of the blackcats has evaporated. i know we lost a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball but this feels more like a "first principles" issue.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - BearcatJerry - 11-12-2022 12:23 AM

(11-12-2022 12:22 AM)eroc Wrote:  Was going to put this in the ECU thread but this applies to this season in its entirety really. This team has really regressed in terms of tackling. Bad form. Bad angles. it doesn't apply to everyone but it just feels like the sure tackling that was a hallmark of the blackcats has evaporated. i know we lost a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball but this feels more like a "first principles" issue.

Yup.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - Bearcat419 - 11-12-2022 12:24 AM

I don't care if Ben is 30/37 or 14/30. His pocket awareness kills drives.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - BearcatMan - 11-12-2022 12:37 AM

(11-12-2022 12:19 AM)eroc Wrote:  

That all makes sense. it'll be a big loss and that pre-season rep of having a stacked WR room seems to be slightly overblown, at least at this point and time.

Eh, we'll still have Jadon Thompson coming back, along with some other very good guys in the wings. Little worried that Pauling's performances are indicative of his ability and not just him being played inconsistenly. Reports from fall camp were that Quincy Burroughs is going to be a very fun one to watch, and we have Ayden Greene in this coming class who has looked incredibly impressive in all of the film I've seen of him. That doesn't include Chamon Mateyer who looks like he may be one hell of a TE when it's all said and done too. I'm far more concerned with OL next year. We will need to find someone in the portal or hope someone makes a HUGE leap at LT.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - UCGrad1992 - 11-12-2022 12:38 AM

(11-12-2022 12:37 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Eh, we'll still have Jadon Thompson coming back, along with some other very good guys in the wings. Little worried that Pauling's performances are indicative of his ability and not just him being played inconsistenly. Reports from fall camp were that Quincy Burroughs is going to be a very fun one to watch, and we have Ayden Greene in this coming class who has looked incredibly impressive in all of the film I've seen of him. That doesn't include Chamon Mateyer who looks like he may be one hell of a TE when it's all said and done too. I'm far more concerned with OL next year. We will need to find someone in the portal or hope someone makes a HUGE leap at LT.

Agree BMan!

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - UCGrad1992 - 11-12-2022 01:45 AM

Conference standings...

5-0 Tulane
5-1 Cincinnati
4-1 UCF
3-2 SMU
3-2 Houston
3-3 ECU

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - natibeast2.0 - 11-12-2022 08:20 AM

(11-12-2022 12:38 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  

Agree BMan!

100%

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - eroc - 11-12-2022 09:14 AM

i hope you are right about the WR room. i haven't been able to watch all the games but it seems like the only WRs really having an impact are Tre and Tyler. Jadon has some moments but not as consistent as one would like and everyone else seems like a little bit of a no-show (specifically Mardner).

As far as the rest of the roster goes, we are of the same mind. i know we do a full accounting of roster turnover post-season but, speaking of Chamon, we will have to replace two, at least on paper, NFL-caliber TEs. There will also be a lot of turnover on the DL and LB units (in terms of graduation and potential early departures). And of course there is the QB1 question but there's much gnashing of teeth left in this season before we need to answer that.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - BearcatMan - 11-12-2022 09:19 AM

(11-12-2022 09:14 AM)eroc Wrote:  

i hope you are right about the WR room. i haven't been able to watch all the games but it seems like the only WRs really having an impact are Tre and Tyler. Jadon has some moments but not as consistent as one would like and everyone else seems like a little bit of a no-show (specifically Mardner).

As far as the rest of the roster goes, we are of the same mind. i know we do a full accounting of roster turnover post-season but, speaking of Chamon, we will have to replace two, at least on paper, NFL-caliber TEs. There will also be a lot of turnover on the DL and LB units (in terms of graduation and potential early departures). And of course there is the QB1 question but there's much gnashing of teeth left in this season before we need to answer that.

DL will only have one currently playing guy not back next year (Jabari Taylor)

LB has only one play whose eligibility is up after this season (Wil Huber)

Now, could a player or two leave? Sure...but I think both of those groups will be fine next year. This is really down to how we can improve our OL, ensure the QB who plays is put in the best position to succeed with their skillset, and
make sure our young DBs do not drop off with the increased pressure they'll be under. If I'm looking at defense, the defensive background is the position group to worry about, not DL/LB imo.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - Kyle Mack - 11-12-2022 09:19 AM

8-2 and should be ranked on Tuesday.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - CliftonAve - 11-12-2022 09:40 AM

I’m guessing we will be active in the OL transfer portal this off season. Have to think Cummings has a few guys on speed dial from his old stomping grounds from the states of Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - Cataclysmo - 11-12-2022 09:57 AM

The fastest receiver on the roster is also at the back end of the depth chart and running on special teams. Guys like Donley and Co will emerge to fill the gaps along the way.