CSNbbs
2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread (/thread-952100.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - BearcatMan - 09-20-2022 06:30 AM

(09-20-2022 05:28 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  
(09-19-2022 11:42 PM)ZCat Wrote:  I think Ben Bryant should start, but I was hoping to see Prater more in the Miami game. That was another negative caused by our sloppy play.

I’d like to get him game reps in case of an injury or to get ready for next year if Ben does not come back.

Also CLF said he wanted to get him more playing time. I enjoy watching both of them play. Another thing: I would love him to come in for a play here or there during a series and throw the defense off. Especially on the goal line.

Yeah... I basically said the exact same thing after the Arkansas game and was beat down by the stat wielding Prater haters that said in essence that he couldn't complete a pass to the ocean if he was standing on the beach.

I was more on the "that literally has never worked in the history of football at any level" train. I just don't think many of you have ever had to call a play or understand game rhythm from a coaching perspective, and that's ok, but the suggestion that we alternate QBs on a play and play basis shows it more than anything else.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - bearcatmark - 09-20-2022 06:44 AM

(09-20-2022 06:30 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(09-19-2022 11:42 PM)ZCat Wrote:  I think Ben Bryant should start, but I was hoping to see Prater more in the Miami game. That was another negative caused by our sloppy play.

I’d like to get him game reps in case of an injury or to get ready for next year if Ben does not come back.

Also CLF said he wanted to get him more playing time. I enjoy watching both of them play. Another thing: I would love him to come in for a play here or there during a series and throw the defense off. Especially on the goal line.

Yeah... I basically said the exact same thing after the Arkansas game and was beat down by the stat wielding Prater haters that said in essence that he couldn't complete a pass to the ocean if he was standing on the beach.

I was more on the "that literally has never worked in the history of football at any level" train. I just don't think many of you have ever had to call a play or understand game rhythm from a coaching perspective, and that's ok, but the suggestion that we alternate QBs on a play and play basis shows it more than anything else.

Never is an exaggeration. Florida won a national championship with Leak playing most snaps but Tebow as a specific packages guy.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - Banter - 09-20-2022 07:15 AM

(09-20-2022 06:44 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

Never is an exaggeration. Florida won a national championship with Leak playing most snaps but Tebow as a specific packages guy.

It always makes me think of those 96, and 97 Ohio State teams where Cooper could never make a decision between Joe Germaine and Stanley Jackson.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - bearcatmark - 09-20-2022 07:17 AM

(09-20-2022 07:15 AM)Banter Wrote:  [
It always makes me think of those 96, and 97 Ohio State teams where Cooper could never make a decision between Joe Germaine and Stanley Jackson.

And they went what? 11-1 with a Rose Bowl win?

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - Dannyboy - 09-20-2022 07:18 AM

(09-20-2022 06:44 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

Goal line QB changes have been done by many teams. Heck, the wildcat is just another version of it.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - UCBearcatlawjd2 - 09-20-2022 07:35 AM

(09-20-2022 07:17 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

But it cost them the Michigan game and almost cost them the IU game the week before.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - Bear Catlett - 09-20-2022 07:45 AM

You're right.

It's better to go in to halftime with 0 points than to do anything to try and loosen the defense up.

Saban's first what, 20 plays against us were running plays. They could have had a cheerleader out there handing the ball off to #6 and it wouldn't have made any difference. BUT JUST AS LONG AS IT WAS BRYCE YOUNG HANDING IT OFF...

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - Banter - 09-20-2022 07:59 AM

(09-20-2022 07:17 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

And a 10-3 season with a Sugar Bowl loss to FSU.

Never said it did not work, just the two other examples I could think of with a prominent 2 QB system. I am sure there are some others.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - Cat-Man - 09-20-2022 08:54 AM

Yeah...a two QB system worked 17 and 25 years ago. It can work now!

I mean, Oklahoma won a National Championship in 1985 running the wishbone option. Maybe we should run that, since we have Prater and so many talented running backs?

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - Captain Bearcat - 09-20-2022 09:08 AM

We had a pretty good offense in 2008 using 4 QBs. Although that wasn't on purpose...

Actually, preseason QB #1 was Ben Mauk, who practiced with the team all offseason until he was ruled ineligible on September 3rd.

I also distinctly remember at one point in the Louisville game, we put Notre Dame transfer (and former 5-star QB recruit) Demetrius Jones in for a few plays. I remember thinking to myself that we were using our 6th string QB.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - RealDeal - 09-20-2022 09:21 AM

Michigan did pretty well with the Tom Brady/Drew Henson platoon. These are exceptions though. Most importantly Fick believes in committing to one QB as the on field leader of the team. If we are ever considering a two QB system that means things are not going well.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - doss2 - 09-20-2022 09:22 AM

Consider putting both in backfield and have some specials

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - bearcatmark - 09-20-2022 09:24 AM

(09-20-2022 08:54 AM)Cat-Man Wrote:  Yeah...a two QB system worked 17 and 25 years ago. It can work now!

I mean, Oklahoma won a National Championship in 1985 running the wishbone option. Maybe we should run that, since we have Prater and so many talented running backs?

Ok. how about Bama in 2018...mostly Hurts, but also used Tua at times in the season, then road Tua the second half of the National Championship.

To be clear, I'm not advocating for anything specific. But to say it has "never" worked just isn't accurate. LSU also won a National Title in 2007 playing 2 different qbs.

These are just the biggest examples. Teams have played 2 QBs at various times and been effective. It doesn't necessarily mean playing 2 qbs in this situation is the right decision.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - Cat-Man - 09-20-2022 10:14 AM

(09-20-2022 09:24 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(09-20-2022 08:54 AM)Cat-Man Wrote:  Yeah...a two QB system worked 17 and 25 years ago. It can work now!

Ok. how about Bama in 2018...mostly Hurts, but also used Tua at times in the season, then road Tua the second half of the National Championship.

To be clear, I'm not advocating for anything specific. But to say it has "never" worked just isn't accurate. LSU also won a National Title in 2007 playing 2 different qbs.

These are just the biggest examples. Teams have played 2 QBs at various times and been effective. It doesn't necessarily mean playing 2 qbs in this situation is the right decision.

I got no problem having special packages with 2 QB's, but there are people advocating having a rotating/alternating QB system. No thanks.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - BearcatMan - 09-20-2022 12:17 PM

(09-20-2022 10:14 AM)Cat-Man Wrote:  

I got no problem having special packages with 2 QB's, but there are people advocating having a rotating/alternating QB system. No thanks.

Yeah, to be clear, I wasn't saying having certain packages could potentially work (though I still don't like that all that much either honestly). I was saying having a situation where a QB just walks out onto the field for random plays won't work...because it just won't.

I also hate the idea of alternating series like some have said because it is absolutely impossible for players to handle that what with different cadences, playing tendencies, throwing capabilities, etc.

The truth of the matter is that we have a QB with a 70%+ completion percentage who is averaging almost 300 yard and 3 TDs a game so far who is top 25 in every major passing stat and 2-1 with that one loss being a 7 point defeat AT the #9 team in the country. If you are advocating for removing that individual, you clearly don't care about being objective and just want the Cincinnati kid in. That's fine...but just admit that. Also, recognize that the situations many are referencing with Tim Tebow/Tua Tagovailoa/etc. included a generational talent and Heisman Trophy finalist. I can tell you from having actually seen Prater practice and play that he is not that.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - UCGrad1992 - 09-20-2022 02:41 PM

Fick's Weekly Presser...

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - Captain Bearcat - 09-20-2022 02:53 PM

(09-20-2022 09:21 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  Michigan did pretty well with the Tom Brady/Drew Henson platoon. These are exceptions though. Most importantly Fick believes in committing to one QB as the on field leader of the team. If we are ever considering a two QB system that means things are not going well.

If the worst QB in our platoon is athletic enough to play third base for the Yankees and start at QB for the Cowboys after his MLB career ends, then I'm fine with having a platoon.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - UCGrad1992 - 09-20-2022 03:14 PM

Coach Allen's presser...

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - bcat1997 - 09-20-2022 08:51 PM

(09-20-2022 12:17 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Yeah, to be clear, I wasn't saying having certain packages could potentially work (though I still don't like that all that much either honestly). I was saying having a situation where a QB just walks out onto the field for random plays won't work...because it just won't.

I also hate the idea of alternating series like some have said because it is absolutely impossible for players to handle that what with different cadences, playing tendencies, throwing capabilities, etc.

The truth of the matter is that we have a QB with a 70%+ completion percentage who is averaging almost 300 yard and 3 TDs a game so far who is top 25 in every major passing stat and 2-1 with that one loss being a 7 point defeat AT the #9 team in the country. If you are advocating for removing that individual, you clearly don't care about being objective and just want the Cincinnati kid in. That's fine...but just admit that. Also, recognize that the situations many are referencing with Tim Tebow/Tua Tagovailoa/etc. included a generational talent and Heisman Trophy finalist. I can tell you from having actually seen Prater practice and play that he is not that.

You could look at it another way...we've played one team with a pulse and he was the reason we lost the game.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - BearcatMan - 09-20-2022 09:23 PM

(09-20-2022 08:51 PM)bcat1997 Wrote:  
(09-20-2022 12:17 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

You could look at it another way...we've played one team with a pulse and he was the reason we lost the game.

I'd argue our inability to tackle when we needed to was the bigger problem than missing a few throws on drives that ultimately ended up in points, but sure, we could go with that too.