CSNbbs
Boycott French, support UA - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SECbbs (/forum-285.html)
+---- Forum: SEC West Team Talk (/forum-238.html)
+----- Forum: Arkansas (/forum-249.html)
+----- Thread: Boycott French, support UA (/thread-9504.html)

- calling_the_hogs - 04-02-2003 11:26 AM

First off, I'm one of many who are boycotting all French goods.

Second, all Arkansas Red Cross stations are having a supply drive for our troops. Anything from lip balm, sunscreen, batteries, etc. is needed. If you can donate, do so.

Third, since we're boycotting one group, I'd like to encourage folks to support these companies, who all are official sponsors of Razorback athletics.

State Farm Insurance
SBC- Southwestern Bell
Arkansas Jeep/Chrysler Dealers
Sonic Drive-Ins
Regions Bank
Cingular Wireless
Electric Cooperatives of Arkansas
Pizza Hut
Edward Jones
Budweiser/Bud Light
The Keep Arkansas Beautiful Commission
Coleman Dairy/Turner Ice Cream
Citgo
Shelter Insurance
Federated Insurance
Arkansas GIFT Scholarship Inititive
Tyson Foods
K-MAC Enterprises (KFC/Taco Bell)
Wal Mart Stores, Inc.

Go WHOLE HOG

WPS

- bigolhawg - 04-02-2003 07:00 PM

Boycotting French products is ignorant and shows absolutely no class. Of course everyone should buy from companies that support Hog athletics, and that has always been a practice of mine, but this whole boycotting the French thing is just classless.

Yeah, so they dont agree with our government. Whoop dee do. If I like a product, and its from France, I'll buy it. I dont really care what they think, and I'm definitely not going to change my buying practices to show them whos boss.

- calling_the_hogs - 04-04-2003 01:36 PM

Wait a sec...where does class come into that?

Bigolhawg...wake up and get a big ol slap of reality here.

What I think is no class is not supporting your troops while in times of war.

What's no class is a country that hates you after you saved them from dangerous regimes (cough, Hitler, cough) TWICE.

If you don't agree with boycotting the French, fine. But classless? That's just a stupid comment.

WPS

- bigolhawg - 04-05-2003 01:10 AM

If you will read other posts of mine, you'll see that I do support the troops. If I didnt, there would be no reason for me to be in America. I do not support the decisions of the administration, but I am not going to hold that against the soldiers.

And if you think there is any class in boycotting French products, there is no point in continuing this conversation. Class involves taking the high road, and not using petty actions to display beliefs. Its perfectly OK to not agree with what the French think, but to put economic hardship on their people because of a difference in thinking just isnt the way to get the point across.

Yeah, we saved em from Hitler. We would have lost at Yorktown if it wasnt for Rocheambeau. Thats just how it works.

- calling_the_hogs - 04-06-2003 01:06 PM

Yeah, involving taking the 'high road'

Any anti-war protestors taking the 'high road' on things?

The French people don't like us, they don't want anything American.

By boycotting, all I'm saying is fine, you don't want us, have it your way.

We're giving them WHAT THEY WANT.

Understand?

When you get to college, maybe you will. Also, and I can't believe I'm saying it to a point, but you need to go to stAte I think. They're far more in tune with your political views than Fayetteville and the NW Arkansas area.

WPS

- bigolhawg - 04-06-2003 02:16 PM

I've spent a lot of time in the NWA area, and I find it to be a place where most people listen and respect each others views, whether they agree with them or not. My goal in life isnt to always be around people who think like I do, in fact I enjoy conversations where I am the lone liberal and there are many conservatives. It allows me to show my strengths in debating, as I alone get to present my side, without anyone else mudding it up.

Yes, anti-war protestors are taking the "high-road," IMO. At least in this area, they are holding peaceful protests, and just wanting to get their message across. They arent attacking those who disagree with them, only wanting to make sure their opinion is out there and that people know about it.

The philisophical difference between us is that you think the French should be punished for their opinions, and I do not. Yeah, the French dont want anything American. Have you been to France? Its not like the place is devoid of fast food and of American stores. Americans have a huge influence on France, and losing that would put them in serious economic hardship. They know that, and we know that.

As for my college decision, I have decided to attend the University of Arkansas because it is the finest institution of higher learning in this state. They have offered me a top notch scholarship package, and I would be limiting myself if I chose to attend another school. As I said up above, my college decision isnt about whether people are going to agree with me. Its about going to the best school that is available to me.

- calling_the_hogs - 04-06-2003 03:29 PM

FYI, yes I've been to France. In fact, I have a minor in French.

Second, no they aren't. In times of war, even if you disagree, you support your president and the troops. I supported Clinton in Bosnia; these idiots need to shut up now. After the war, they can talk later. So no, they aren't taking the high road, they're being total a-holes.

Third, any time the French go out and cheer for Saddam and spit on American flags and yell A BAS (get a French book and translate), that's enough for me to boycott them. Say you were working for Wal-Mart, and K-Mart supporters ran a big protest and declared you as a bad guy and your bosses as evil and what not. Would you shop there? Would you encourage someone to shop there? Of course you wouldn't. It's the same principle here, except we're talking about your COUNTRY.

Otherwise, go to France during this war and buddy up with them. Most Americans get the message. French boycotts are happening everywhere. I guess we're a trashy country to you.

WPS

- bigolhawg - 04-06-2003 07:01 PM

calling_the_hogs Wrote:Second, no they aren't. In times of war, even if you disagree, you support your president and the troops. I supported Clinton in Bosnia; these idiots need to shut up now. After the war, they can talk later. So no, they aren't taking the high road, they're being total a-holes.

I guess we're a trashy country to you.
I support the troops by opposing this war. We are endangering American lives to gain an oil field. Saddam's human rights record is abhorrent, but guess what, hes not the only one that has gassed his own people. Just look at our good friends in Saudi Arabia, who dont bother to even do a rigged trial, they just go ahead and shoot those in opposition to the regime. If this was really about human rights, dont you think we'd be targeting other nations with human rights violations?

The first rule in debating is to listen to what the other person says. The second rule is to back up statements with facts, and back up opinions with beliefs. You have consistently made outlandish claims, including that I think this is a trashy country, lord knows where that came from, and saying that I should go to Jonesboro because there are more liberals there. Yeah, I am a senior in high school, but I am intelligent enough to know whats best for me and what stance I will take on moral issues.

I very much enjoy speaking to people about my beliefs, and I consistently leave those conversations feeling good and not being mad at the other person for feeling differently than I do. If you want to continue speaking about whats going on in our world, I would be more than happy, but if you will choose to make statements that arent even pertaining to the subject and to counsel me on college decisions, lets just stick to the one thing we have in common, Razorback sports.

04-cheers

- calling_the_hogs - 04-07-2003 01:49 PM

Well..if you know about current events.. you would know this isn't about an oil field.

On average, the United States imports 15 billion barrels of oil a day.
How much of this actually comes from Iraq? How about 0.2 percent.
(Stats from the Nat'l Petroleum Refiners Association)

Iraq is a microscopic fraction of the US's oil supply. In fact, our biggest importer for oil has been Venezuela. However, with the massive strikes down there, the supply has weakened, forcing OPEC to raise oil prices, and the US to raise gas prices. (If and when you take ECON 2023 with Dr. Britton, you will find this out).

Iraq's main oil suppliers are France and Russia (hmm..wonder why they oppose this war?).

Secondly, if we were so big on oil, why did President Bush, in his State of the Union, ask for over a billion dollars to be used for research in making a hydrogen car?

If the US is successful in making hydrogen cars, then oil (which you claim this is ALL about) becomes 100 times less in value. That will completely destroy the economies of the Arab countries, and thus, help end the threat of terrorism.

Finally, this war is about regime change, and given Saddam's record, how can any liberals complain about this?

Liberals yell about human rights... Saddam gassed his own people.
Liberals yell about the environment.. Saddam created the largest oil spill and environmental disaster in history

What, if the inspections continued, you think Saddam would have just stepped down? Eventually, forceful means were gonna be used anyway. Better get him now then later when he's built his first nuclear weapon.

The anti-war group is plain and simple...just anti-Bush. Either that, or they're hyporcritical.

If you wanna discuss it further, be my guest, but I agree with you on this...we should prolly just go back to talking about Razorback sports.

WPS