CSNbbs
Recap of Rice sports year - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: Recap of Rice sports year (/thread-948452.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Recap of Rice sports year - tanqtonic - 06-02-2022 08:12 AM

Honestly, I havent felt this ground into the dirt over a Rice sports season ever.

And again honestly, I havent felt this dejected about the future than ever before.

Bluntly, the mens marquee sports were all dumpster fires.

The women's marquee sports either got kneecapped, of just didnt have the glimpse of success that last year had.

Tack onto that not only the yawning pit of the past trajectory of a split between 'haves' and 'have nots'. Add onto that the huge acceleration of effects of the portal. And *then* add on what what almost invariably has to happen to the general college sports panorama with NIL ---

Really bad year overall results wise, honestly somewhat torqued over the having Bloom retain his spot with that god awful mess of a program and zero confidence of really anything from that quarter, and fundamentally dejected about any semblance of success for the future at this point.

Sorry about the down tone of this post ---- would love to hear counterpoints.

Maybe we rename this bulletin board RSA -- Rice Sports Anonymous. In the same vein of Alcoholics Anonymous. Hi, I'm Tanq, and I am a Rice sports fan.....

RE: Recap of Rice sports year - waltgreenberg - 06-02-2022 08:19 AM

Oh goodie-- yet another thread of doom and gloom.

As for the women, the volleyball team had a very good year (before losing in the 2nd round of the NCAAs) and the basketball team had an unbelievably encouraging season, especially given the new coach, severely depleted roster (with the loss of our 4 best starters from the previous year) and injuries...and the future is looking incredibly bright. Soccer slipped a bit, largely due to injuries (including to our lone all-american), but again, the future looks extremely bright with the addition of an all-american transfer and the transfer of another starter on a NCAA post-season squad. Swimming and T&F both fielded strong teams.

RE: Recap of Rice sports year - texowl2 - 06-02-2022 08:46 AM

I know everyone likes to dump on Pera, but slowly an upward trajectory seems to be there. Football seems to have completely reversed anything positive since the 80's (never have I had a lower care) and nuf said about baseball

RE: Recap of Rice sports year - Owl 69/70/75 - 06-02-2022 08:59 AM

I've watched Rice athletics, mostly from up close and personal, fall ever further from the 1960s until today. With precious few exceptions, the main one obviously being Wayne Graham, the program has simply gotten consistently worse from decade to decade for 60 years. I'm worn out from watching it. Call me when things turn around.

RE: Recap of Rice sports year - Hambone10 - 06-02-2022 09:35 AM

In fairness, Walt.... The doom and gloom comes from the marquee sports. If you're a fan of college sports in general which I know you are, there are certainly some things to point to... but the reality is that those sports drive absolutely nothing. They don't drive conference realignment or revenue or alumni interest or publicity or anything else. Can we potentially MAKE them do that (marketing trough runners websites, marketing to those specific sports enthusiasts and really making those events??) Perhaps... but nobody else is going to follow our lead... so we'll have to fund it... and it won't make any difference to conferences nor revenues from them. I've suggested we go 'all in' on things like that by adding cheer and dance and maybe gymnastics or other 'also' non-revs that at least often generate excitement... I mean geez... I have a daughter now into competitive cheer and these things are ridiculous... plus they make movies and TV shows about them.

Pera is doing 'okay'... I get it... I just don't see 'low and slow' as working for us. At some point, others will recognize his skills and hire him away for what would be an 'easier' gig for him. Bloom, don't get me started. Cruz has a tough hill, but I'm very optimistic about him.... but the biggest problem by far is football. It's not even close in my mind. Basketball COULD narrow that gap... but we're so far down the pecking order that its not even worth discussing right now. Until we're in the top 100, there's no reason to even talk about MBB being a marquee sport. Football at least has the benefit of only having 125 in its roster (or so)... and we struggle to be in the top 100 THERE. 03-banghead

RE: Recap of Rice sports year - tanqtonic - 06-02-2022 09:36 AM

(06-02-2022 08:46 AM)texowl2 Wrote:  I know everyone likes to dump on Pera, but slowly an upward trajectory seems to be there. Football seems to have completely reversed anything positive since the 80's (never have I had a lower care) and nuf said about baseball

Fair point. A slow, perhaps even very slow, upward trajectory is appropriate. And much better than the morass of the other men’s marquees.

RE: Recap of Rice sports year - Ourland - 06-02-2022 09:43 AM

My name is Ourland, and I'm a Rice sports fan.

RE: Recap of Rice sports year - OptimisticOwl - 06-02-2022 10:26 AM

My name is OO, and I have have been a Rice sports fan since the days of Jess Neely.

Football is the big problem. Everything else is like washing a car that won't run. Polish that bumper on the derelict.

But I cannot give up. I have no alternative but to be a Rice fan. It was baked in when I set foot on S. Main.

Bad years are the norm. The occasional up year is to be savored. I liked 2008 - 10 win football and Texas Bowl, baseball to Omaha. I liked 2003 also.

RE: Recap of Rice sports year - Ourland - 06-02-2022 11:15 AM

I pray that Joe Karlgaard is learning. In football, I hope that he realizes now that Rice isn't ever going to push an opponent around. We aren't Ohio State. It's going to take a contrarian offensive philosophy. Rice doesn't necessarily have to be a wishbone team, but it will have to be an RPO team that relies on deception, misdirection, and plenty of pre-snap movement.

In basketball, I think that we have a decent coach, but he can't keep his players, and there's a reason for that which goes beyond conference affiliation and the fact that we are a mid-major program. Pera strikes me as a bit of a jerk, somewhat like Blomgren, but not as extreme. Players don't 'take' to him. He's not an 'approachable' guy. Maybe that's part of our transfer problem. He has no stability in his program. We just lost four players. Now he's starting all over again. That can't be the case every year. There's no foundation.

In baseball, I have faith in Cruz. I feel like Kargaard finally made a good hire in a meaningful men's sport.

Overall, I give Joe Kargaard a 'C,' for his job performance since being at Rice, and I think that's being generous. His biggest failure is in football, and that's the most important sport. He has done a horrible job by bringing in, and then keeping Bloomgren. He should have accepted his failure and cut his losses after last season.

RE: Recap of Rice sports year - ESE84 - 06-02-2022 11:39 AM

(06-02-2022 08:12 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Honestly, I havent felt this ground into the dirt over a Rice sports season ever.

And again honestly, I havent felt this dejected about the future than ever before.

Bluntly, the mens marquee sports were all dumpster fires.

The women's marquee sports either got kneecapped, of just didnt have the glimpse of success that last year had.

Tack onto that not only the yawning pit of the past trajectory of a split between 'haves' and 'have nots'. Add onto that the huge acceleration of effects of the portal. And *then* add on what what almost invariably has to happen to the general college sports panorama with NIL ---

Really bad year overall results wise, honestly somewhat torqued over the having Bloom retain his spot with that god awful mess of a program and zero confidence of really anything from that quarter, and fundamentally dejected about any semblance of success for the future at this point.

Sorry about the down tone of this post ---- would love to hear counterpoints.

Maybe we rename this bulletin board RSA -- Rice Sports Anonymous. In the same vein of Alcoholics Anonymous. Hi, I'm Tanq, and I am a Rice sports fan.....

On the other hand, we are moving to the AAC. What did we promise to the AAC to get invited and when will the fans begin to see the improvements?

RE: Recap of Rice sports year - Ourland - 06-02-2022 11:57 AM

As far as I know, all we could promise the AAC are upgrades to Rice Stadium. They held their noses asking us to join. They just wanted to be sure that the MWC didn't get a foothold in Texas. We're a perennial cellar dweller. We're so damn lucky that the campus is in Houston.

RE: Recap of Rice sports year - Owl 69/70/75 - 06-02-2022 12:56 PM

(06-02-2022 11:15 AM)Ourland Wrote:  I pray that Joe Karlgaard is learning.

You are more optimistic than I.

RE: Recap of Rice sports year - Hambone10 - 06-02-2022 01:51 PM

(06-02-2022 12:56 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

I was excited when I misread what Ourland wrote

RE: Recap of Rice sports year - Ourland - 06-02-2022 02:07 PM

(06-02-2022 01:51 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  

'Learning,' not 'leaving.' LOL! I wish.

RE: Recap of Rice sports year - waltgreenberg - 06-02-2022 02:36 PM

(06-02-2022 08:59 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I've watched Rice athletics, mostly from up close and personal, fall ever further from the 1960s until today. With precious few exceptions, the main one obviously being Wayne Graham, the program has simply gotten consistently worse from decade to decade for 60 years. I'm worn out from watching it. Call me when things turn around.

Why don't you do us all a favor and wait until you get the call before posting the exact same negative post over and over and over again.

RE: Recap of Rice sports year - Ourland - 06-02-2022 02:38 PM

(06-02-2022 02:36 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(06-02-2022 08:59 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I've watched Rice athletics, mostly from up close and personal, fall ever further from the 1960s until today. With precious few exceptions, the main one obviously being Wayne Graham, the program has simply gotten consistently worse from decade to decade for 60 years. I'm worn out from watching it. Call me when things turn around.

Why don't you do us all a favor and wait until you get the call before posting the exact same negative post over and over and over again.

You're the only one it bothers

RE: Recap of Rice sports year - TheOwl84 - 06-02-2022 03:03 PM

Why are Pera and Bloomgren seen in such different lights when they have had almost the same success/failure? Both have slowly increased the win count despite lots of transfers. Both get blown out by just about every P5 school we play. Both have had some surprising wins against superior conference opponents and bad losses against other bad teams. Basketball has had a couple of conference tournament wins but that's because the tournament includes so many teams.

The football team this last season had some of the worst losses they've had in a long time but they were competitive with most of CUSA minus UTSA and WKU (The top 2 cusa teams)

Don't get me wrong I think Bloomgrens offensive philosophy is totally wrong for Rice but I don't understand why it's easier to give Pera a pass.

RE: Recap of Rice sports year - TheOwl84 - 06-02-2022 03:19 PM

(06-02-2022 02:38 PM)Ourland Wrote:  

You're the only one it bothers

Ah yes of course. The past three football seasons of 3-9, 2-3, and 4-8 are so much worse than

1. The 6 straight seasons with 3 or fewer wins from 1974-1979
2. The 5 total wins from 1982-1985 and 4 wins from 1987-89
3. The 0 win seasons from 1968, 1982, 1988.

The men's basketball team hasn't made the NCAA tournament since 1970 so not exactly getting better ot worse there, we just weren't ever good.

Our women's sports are doing better than ever while our basketball and football team are doing about as good as they have historically done. Our baseball team is the big letdown right now

RE: Recap of Rice sports year - ESE84 - 06-02-2022 03:29 PM

(06-02-2022 02:07 PM)Ourland Wrote:  
(06-02-2022 01:51 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  

'Learning,' not 'leaving.' LOL! I wish.

Count me among those who think Karlgaard needs to leave. Our last winning football season was 2014! We did defeat UTSA in 2014, but the two programs have gone in different directions since.

RE: Recap of Rice sports year - Owl 69/70/75 - 06-02-2022 03:29 PM

I do feel a need to do what I consider to be setting the record straight on a point or two.

First, I am no fan of Joe Karlgaard and will be very happy when he is gone. But he didn't start the downward trajectory. It was there long before he got to Rice.

Let's take football. The 1960s began with Rice going to bowls in two consecutive seasons, continued with Rice being competitive until hiring Bo Hagan in 1967. The 1970s started with Rice being competitive, and ended with consecutive seasons winning 2, 2, 3, 1, 2, and 1 games. The 1980s started with Rice again being competitive with 5 and 4 win seasons, then included seasons of 0, 1, 1, 3, 4, 2, 0 and 2 wins. The record got better in the 1990s with first Fred Goldsmith and then Ken Hatfield, but in the middle of the decade the SWC folded and Rice took a step down in conference affiliation. That step got bigger when the Denver Airport Gang bolted and by the end of the decade Rice was basically a .500 team in a depleted WAC. With one exception in 2001, Rice continued to fall further in the depleted WAC until moving to CUSA. A couple of good years in 2006 and 2008 were interspersed with a horrible 2005, 2007, and 2009-2011. Again Rice found itself in a conference where the best teams bolted, and Rice was able to achieve some success against a depleted conference in 2012-2014, but since then Rice football has had almost a decade of brutally bad teams.

Or basketball. Rice won an SWC championship in 1970, but has neither won nor really contended with any consistency ever since. The program showed some signs of life under Mike Schuler around 1980, or a decade later under Scott Thompson, and Willis Wilson had some sporadic success. But to put it in perspective, Rice has been a member of a conference with a post-season basketball tournament since 1976, and in that 47 seasons, has never won a conference tournament championship, has never even played in a tournament championship game, and has had very few semifinal appearances. That is a record of extended futility that may be unmatched in division one.

Baseball has been the one happy exception, at least in the Wayne Graham years (and they had some isolated successes under his predecessor David Hall), but in 78 seasons prior to Graham, Rice had 7 winning season records, and had never been to an NCAA tournament before Graham took Rice to 23 consecutive NCAA tournaments and 7 trips to Omaha. Graham did this by rejecting the twin mantras of Rice athletics, that losing is okay as long as you have a good enough excuse and that if you don't care where you are going the path of least resistance will get you there. So, of course, Graham had to be fired.

Women's sports have done very well in recent years, and I am sure that Joe deserves some positive reaction as a result. But the bottom line is that women's sports are not going to get a program promoted to a better conference in today's NCAA.

That's a story of 60 years of brutal incompetence. Losses have greatly exceeded wins, while conference affiliation has gone from the SWC to the WAC-16 to the depleted WAC to CUSA, to depleted CUSA. And at each step down, Rice has pretty much gravitated to the lower end of each successively worse conference. I had hoped that Joe Karlgaard would turn the tide, and based on the fact that he had been around the Stanford program, I had high hopes that he would. He hasn't, and it's pretty obvious that he is not going to.

I'm sorry if this offends, Walt. I find your Pollyanna attitude offensive as well.