CSNbbs
University of Memphis Ranked Safest Large Campus in Tennessee for 7th Time n 10 years - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: University of Memphis Ranked Safest Large Campus in Tennessee for 7th Time n 10 years (/thread-947744.html)

Pages: 1 2

University of Memphis Ranked Safest Large Campus in Tennessee for 7th Time n 10 years - Claw - 05-18-2022 09:00 PM

University of Memphis rated safest large campus in Tenneessee AGAIN!

Quote:May 9, 2022 — The University of Memphis once again ranks as the safest large campus in the State of Tennessee, according to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation’s 2021 Crime on Campus Report. This marks the seventh time in 10 years the UofM has ranked as the safest of the state’s 10 universities with a student population of more than 5,000.

RE: University of Memphis Ranked Safest Large Campus in Tennessee for 7th Time n 10 years - Browning Hall - 05-18-2022 09:28 PM

I’d feel better about these rankings if they took into consideration the number of students living on campus. It seems it’s always based on enrollment.

RE: University of Memphis Ranked Safest Large Campus in Tennessee for 7th Time n 10 years - gusrob - 05-19-2022 09:37 AM

We get enough bad press. Thanks for sharing the good!

RE: University of Memphis Ranked Safest Large Campus in Tennessee for 7th Time n 10 years - Eagleonpar - 05-19-2022 10:14 AM

LOL

RE: University of Memphis Ranked Safest Large Campus in Tennessee for 7th Time n 10 years - mapdude - 05-19-2022 07:53 PM

That's the equivalent of being the tallest midget in the room...

RE: University of Memphis Ranked Safest Large Campus in Tennessee for 7th Time n 10 years - AlonsoWDC - 05-19-2022 09:50 PM

(05-19-2022 07:53 PM)mapdude Wrote:  That's the equivalent of being the tallest midget in the room...

How are the two remotely similar?

It's good news and it's something parents and prospective students care about when applying for college.

RE: University of Memphis Ranked Safest Large Campus in Tennessee for 7th Time n 10 years - poppaslaw - 05-20-2022 08:11 AM

I'm sure the University Campus is a very safe place. The University Police are top notch and do a great job. The whole campus has great lighting and tons of cameras.

MPD and curbing the crime in the surrounding Spottswood neighborhood to the South is most definitely a problem.

RE: University of Memphis Ranked Safest Large Campus in Tennessee for 7th Time n 10 years - Browning Hall - 05-20-2022 10:30 AM

(05-19-2022 09:50 PM)AlonsoWDC Wrote:  
(05-19-2022 07:53 PM)mapdude Wrote:  That's the equivalent of being the tallest midget in the room...

It's good news and it's something parents and prospective students care about when applying for college.

It is good news. But if I were a parent or prospective student, I’d want to dig a little deeper. A typical large college has a stadium, an arena, a ton of student housing and the parking (including overnight parking) that goes with all three. They have a large number of events on campus. They have the crime related to everything I mentioned.

We do not have a typical major college campus. Most of the above, we don’t have to deal with. The report is based on total number of crimes vs total student enrollment. Maybe I’m missing something, but that doesn’t seem like apples to apples to me. We should be #1. JMO.

RE: University of Memphis Ranked Safest Large Campus in Tennessee for 7th Time n 10 years - Tiger87 - 05-20-2022 03:23 PM

(05-20-2022 10:30 AM)Browning Hall Wrote:  

It is good news. But if I were a parent or prospective student, I’d want to dig a little deeper. A typical large college has a stadium, an arena, a ton of student housing and the parking (including overnight parking) that goes with all three. They have a large number of events on campus. They have the crime related to everything I mentioned.

We do not have a typical major college campus. Most of the above, we don’t have to deal with. The report is based on total number of crimes vs total student enrollment. Maybe I’m missing something, but that doesn’t seem like apples to apples to me. We should be #1. JMO.

So? Seems you are trying awfully hard to put a negative spin on this.

How about this counter. We are based in a metro area. The type of schools you seem to be comparing us to are largely located in college towns. As such, they should have a much lower crime rate than us.

RE: University of Memphis Ranked Safest Large Campus in Tennessee for 7th Time n 10 years - Tiger87 - 05-20-2022 03:24 PM

Yeah, I don't get that one either.
At all.

RE: University of Memphis Ranked Safest Large Campus in Tennessee for 7th Time n 10 years - Browning Hall - 05-20-2022 04:35 PM

(05-20-2022 03:23 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  

How about this counter. We are based in a metro area. The type of schools you seem to be comparing us to are largely located in college towns. As such, they should have a much lower crime rate than us.

Wrong. I was putting a realistic spin on it and it wasn’t hard at all. And it’s campus crime, not town crime. It’s a Tennessee rating and the only other school I looked at was Tennessee @ Knoxville. That’s a pretty big town.

I first learned of this report 15 yrs ago and I think it is a wee bit misleading. But as I said, that’s just my opinion. I also said I may be missing something. I could easily change my mind but your retort doesn’t quite get me there.

RE: University of Memphis Ranked Safest Large Campus in Tennessee for 7th Time n 10 years - Keeper - 05-22-2022 08:19 PM

(05-20-2022 04:35 PM)Browning Hall Wrote:  

Wrong. I was putting a realistic spin on it and it wasn’t hard at all. And it’s campus crime, not town crime. It’s a Tennessee rating and the only other school I looked at was Tennessee @ Knoxville. That’s a pretty big town.

I first learned of this report 15 yrs ago and I think it is a wee bit misleading. But as I said, that’s just my opinion. I also said I may be missing something. I could easily change my mind but your retort doesn’t quite get me there.

Sir, you have no understanding of much of anything. Yet you continually express opinions that are neither based in reason nor seek to understand anything outside your extremely narrow perspective.

RE: University of Memphis Ranked Safest Large Campus in Tennessee for 7th Time n 10 years - BinghamptonNed - 05-22-2022 08:37 PM

you may not mean to sound like it but you sound like a low self esteem Memphian looking for the cloud in a silver lining.

It is bad enough for those who wish us ill to disparage any good news -- we really dont need our so called supporters playing "devils advocate"

RE: University of Memphis Ranked Safest Large Campus in Tennessee for 7th Time n 10 years - Browning Hall - 05-22-2022 08:40 PM

(05-22-2022 08:19 PM)Keeper Wrote:  
(05-19-2022 09:50 PM)AlonsoWDC Wrote:  How are the two remotely similar?

Sir, you have no understanding of much of anything. Yet you continually express opinions that are neither based in reason nor seek to understand anything outside your extremely narrow perspective.

Well said.

RE: University of Memphis Ranked Safest Large Campus in Tennessee for 7th Time n - Browning Hall - 05-22-2022 09:23 PM

(05-22-2022 08:37 PM)BinghamptonNed Wrote:  

you may not mean to sound like it but you sound like a low self esteem Memphian looking for the cloud in a silver lining.

It is bad enough for those who wish us ill to disparage any good news -- we really dont need our so called supporters playing "devils advocate"

I realize some may have taken it that way, but that wasn’t my intention. The fact is I love my hometown and university. That’s one reason I returned after nearly three decades. I’ve lived all over this country and made sure everyone knew where I was from. Both the city and school have a tremendous amount going for them, a well as headaches like everywhere else I’ve lived. It frustrates me to hear the locals dump on the city. It always has. The grass isn’t greener everywhere else. I checked.

Because of all I stated above, I felt comfortable posting my honest take on the report. That’s all I was doing. I have no need to grasp at any bit of perceived good news to feel really good about my university and/or city. I already do.

RE: University of Memphis Ranked Safest Large Campus in Tennessee for 7th Time n 10 years - tiger1016 - 05-22-2022 09:27 PM

(05-22-2022 09:23 PM)Browning Hall Wrote:  

I realize some may have taken it that way, but that wasn’t my intention. The fact is I love my hometown and university. That’s one reason I returned after nearly three decades. I’ve lived all over this country and made sure everyone knew where I was from. Both the city and school have a tremendous amount going for them, a well as headaches like everywhere else I’ve lived. It frustrates me to hear the locals dump on the city. It always has. The grass isn’t greener everywhere else. I checked.

Because of all I stated above, I felt comfortable posting my honest take on the report. That’s all I was doing. I have no need to grasp at any bit of perceived good news to feel really good about my university and/or city. I already do.

I hear ya

I was lost in the wilderness for almost 2 decades; glad to be back in the M-town

RE: University of Memphis Ranked Safest Large Campus in Tennessee for 7th Time n 10 years - poppaslaw - 05-23-2022 08:40 AM

(05-22-2022 09:23 PM)Browning Hall Wrote:  

That guy is selling out Memphis to out of town investors that have no intention of improving our city and those low self esteem Memphians are being crushed at an even greater rate because of it. Pay him no mind.

RE: University of Memphis Ranked Safest Large Campus in Tennessee for 7th Time n 10 years - tigerfan39 - 05-23-2022 08:50 AM

Exactly.... you can spin the report any way you like. Glass half full or half empty, depends on your personality. I'll take it as positive info.

RE: University of Memphis Ranked Safest Large Campus in Tennessee for 7th Time n 10 years - shere khan - 05-23-2022 09:01 AM

Truth is that the campus is safe because of a decades long commitment by the univ, a plan by the univ, and the hard work of a lot of people at the univ.

This is quite an achievement for the univ.

07-coffee3

RE: University of Memphis Ranked Safest Large Campus in Tennessee for 7th Time n 10 years - Tiger87 - 05-23-2022 04:37 PM

(05-22-2022 08:40 PM)Browning Hall Wrote:  
(05-22-2022 08:19 PM)Keeper Wrote:  
(05-20-2022 10:30 AM)Browning Hall Wrote:  It is good news. But if I were a parent or prospective student, I’d want to dig a little deeper. A typical large college has a stadium, an arena, a ton of student housing and the parking (including overnight parking) that goes with all three. They have a large number of events on campus. They have the crime related to everything I mentioned.

Well said.

lol
I think he was talking to you.