CSNbbs
Which networks will pick up the 6 leftover conferences - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Which networks will pick up the 6 leftover conferences (/thread-947643.html)

Pages: 1 2

Which networks will pick up the 6 leftover conferences - JHS55 - 05-17-2022 07:44 AM

I don’t know which networks but they can signem up for a bargain and make good money

RE: Which networks will pick up the 6 leftover conferences - freshtop - 05-17-2022 08:37 AM

(05-17-2022 07:44 AM)JHS55 Wrote:  I don’t know which networks but they can signem up for a bargain and make good money

Can you define the "6 leftover conferences"?

RE: Which networks will pick up the 6 leftover conferences - GoldenWarrior11 - 05-17-2022 08:43 AM

Aside from the regularly tossed around networks (ESPN/ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX), I wouldn't be surprised to see Turner (TBS/TNT) possibly enter the discussions with Warner Bros. Discovery now owning and overseeing them. Another wildcard could be Amazon. At the end of the day, whether you are the SEC or C-USA, there will always be a network wanting live content (especially college football); the question always becomes how much they are willing to spend in order to acquire it.

RE: Which networks will pick up the 6 leftover conferences - freshtop - 05-17-2022 08:49 AM

(05-17-2022 08:43 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Aside from the regularly tossed around networks (ESPN/ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX), I wouldn't be surprised to see Turner (TBS/TNT) possibly enter the discussions with Warner Bros. Discovery now owning and overseeing them. Another wildcard could be Amazon. At the end of the day, whether you are the SEC or C-USA, there will always be a network wanting live content (especially college football); the question always becomes how much they are willing to spend in order to acquire it.

I think most of the traditional broadcast/linear networks wanting into the streaming game is going to be beneficial in future contact negotiations. It should bring more players to the table because NBC wants content for Peacock, CBS wants content for Paramount+/CBS All Access, etc. For example, as bad as C-USA has been in its 3.0 revision there have still been Top 25 ranked teams in the league for 4/8 seasons. Get the rights for cheap and then if a compelling team or matchup happens you can elevate those games from streaming to broadcast/linear networks.

RE: Which networks will pick up the 6 leftover conferences - JHS55 - 05-17-2022 09:01 AM

(05-17-2022 08:37 AM)freshtop Wrote:  
(05-17-2022 07:44 AM)JHS55 Wrote:  I don’t know which networks but they can signem up for a bargain and make good money

The b-12 could go either way so I included them here as the 6th conference

RE: Which networks will pick up the 6 leftover conferences - Frank the Tank - 05-17-2022 09:28 AM

(05-17-2022 08:49 AM)freshtop Wrote:  
(05-17-2022 08:43 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Aside from the regularly tossed around networks (ESPN/ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX), I wouldn't be surprised to see Turner (TBS/TNT) possibly enter the discussions with Warner Bros. Discovery now owning and overseeing them. Another wildcard could be Amazon. At the end of the day, whether you are the SEC or C-USA, there will always be a network wanting live content (especially college football); the question always becomes how much they are willing to spend in order to acquire it.

I think most of the traditional broadcast/linear networks wanting into the streaming game is going to be beneficial in future contact negotiations. It should bring more players to the table because NBC wants content for Peacock, CBS wants content for Paramount+/CBS All Access, etc. For example, as bad as C-USA has been in its 3.0 revision there have still been Top 25 ranked teams in the league for 4/8 seasons. Get the rights for cheap and then if a compelling team or matchup happens you can elevate those games from streaming to broadcast/linear networks.

It's definitely going to be streaming-focused for the G5 leagues going forward. It already is to a certain extent that's only going to accelerate further. The potential upside is that entertainment companies are committing a lot of money to streaming, so there could be an increase in rights fees in selling streaming rights. The downside is that those same entertainment companies are less interested in showing much beyond the top sports properties (e.g. NFL, MLB, NBA, P5, PGA, NHL, etc.) on their linear networks. You can see the trend with soccer - there was a boom in soccer matches on linear networks in the mid-2010s, but they've been gradually shifted most of them to streaming. It's makes sense: sports streaming is geared more toward niche audiences, which essentially describes G5 interest, whereas linear networks are for the broader audiences.

RE: Which networks will pick up the 6 leftover conferences - inutech - 05-17-2022 09:29 AM

(05-17-2022 09:01 AM)JHS55 Wrote:  

That still doesn't make sense.

There are 10 conferences at the FBS level.

RE: Which networks will pick up the 6 leftover conferences - JHS55 - 05-17-2022 09:34 AM

(05-17-2022 09:28 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

It's definitely going to be streaming-focused for the G5 leagues going forward. It already is to a certain extent that's only going to accelerate further. The potential upside is that entertainment companies are committing a lot of money to streaming, so there could be an increase in rights fees in selling streaming rights. The downside is that those same entertainment companies are less interested in showing much beyond the top sports properties (e.g. NFL, MLB, NBA, P5, PGA, NHL, etc.) on their linear networks. You can see the trend with soccer - there was a boom in soccer matches on linear networks in the mid-2010s, but they've been gradually shifted most of them to streaming. It's makes sense: sports streaming is geared more toward niche audiences, which essentially describes G5 interest, whereas linear networks are for the broader audiences.
I think the g conferences are more than a niche product and if positioned right will grow a fan base that there to grow much larger imo

RE: Which networks will pick up the 6 leftover conferences - curtis0620 - 05-17-2022 09:34 AM

Why would it be any different than it is now?

RE: Which networks will pick up the 6 leftover conferences - JHS55 - 05-17-2022 09:36 AM

(05-17-2022 09:29 AM)inutech Wrote:  

You make a very good point, there are 10 FBs conferences but the sec and big10 might break away and do their own thing leaving 8 FBS conferences scrambling to survive

RE: Which networks will pick up the 6 leftover conferences - CliftonAve - 05-17-2022 09:36 AM

I didn’t know there has been a vote to kick anyone out of the autonomous group and take away their NY6 bowl tie-in.

RE: Which networks will pick up the 6 leftover conferences - inutech - 05-17-2022 09:44 AM

(05-17-2022 09:36 AM)JHS55 Wrote:  

You make a very good point, there are 10 FBs conferences but the sec and big10 might break away and do their own thing leaving 8 FBS conferences scrambling to survive

Thus the confusion.

Do you mean the 3 leftovers or the 8 leftovers?

RE: Which networks will pick up the 6 leftover conferences - freshtop - 05-17-2022 09:52 AM

That is why I think a hybrid approach makes the most sense. Put the vast majority of a conference's content on a streaming platform, but then agree to put a small number of compelling games on linear/broadcast networks. Make these decisions as the season progresses. If you end up with a ranked Liberty playing a 1-loss LaTech late in the year then you can bump it up to primetime. If WKU hosts a ranked Cincinnati in a couple years (game is on the schedule) then you can bump that game at that time. Prevents you from airing rating duds on anything other than your streaming platform.

RE: Which networks will pick up the 6 leftover conferences - johnbragg - 05-17-2022 10:16 AM

(05-17-2022 09:34 AM)JHS55 Wrote:  I think the g conferences are more than a niche product

well, you're just wrong about thst

Quote:and if positioned right will grow a fan base that there to grow much larger imo

maaaaaaybe. but probably not

RE: Which networks will pick up the 6 leftover conferences - bullet - 05-17-2022 10:20 AM

(05-17-2022 09:36 AM)JHS55 Wrote:  

So the 8 leftovers. Although the ACC is signed up for another 15 years.

RE: Which networks will pick up the 6 leftover conferences - Kit-Cat - 05-17-2022 11:21 AM

P6 mentality for the "next best" challenger conference has always been there.

Historically it was split between BE/MWC with interest in giving those two ABC linear TV beyond what their fanbase deserved.

P6 today is split across the G5 so I think they'll try and spread the linear TV around with limited opportunity on the major networks.

RE: Which networks will pick up the 6 leftover conferences - Sicembear11 - 05-17-2022 11:38 AM

If the Big 12 is #6. Who are #1-5?

RE: Which networks will pick up the 6 leftover conferences - CitrusUCF - 05-17-2022 11:51 AM

AAC and Sun Belt will be ESPN properties with lots of streaming and linear TV games mostly on weeknights minus notable matchups. MWC will seek a deal that keep games on Saturday and will end up with mostly streaming as a result and only top matchups on linear. MAC will keep doing MACtion. And CUSA will end up on some sort of streaming deal.

The streaming stuff to be avoided are things like Facebook and Yahoo where there's not effective TV-friendly apps for viewing. Streaming services like Amazon, Apple+, Paramount+, Disney+, or the various sports networks streaming options aren't too bad at this point.

RE: Which networks will pick up the 6 leftover conferences - freshtop - 05-17-2022 01:39 PM

(05-17-2022 11:51 AM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  AAC and Sun Belt will be ESPN properties with lots of streaming and linear TV games mostly on weeknights minus notable matchups. MWC will seek a deal that keep games on Saturday and will end up with mostly streaming as a result and only top matchups on linear. MAC will keep doing MACtion. And CUSA will end up on some sort of streaming deal.

The streaming stuff to be avoided are things like Facebook and Yahoo where there's not effective TV-friendly apps for viewing. Streaming services like Amazon, Apple+, Paramount+, Disney+, or the various sports networks streaming options aren't too bad at this point.

Facebook is a definite no-go. I would be over the moon for C-USA to land a deal with a network like NBC. Get the CCG on broadcast TV, plus X number of other games minimum over a set multi-year period (say at least 5 in a 5 year window, but they can all be in the same year if a team is going on a once in a lifetime run). Give NBC the right to pick the games it wants to promote College Gameday style. That way they get matchups that are worth televising that will generate ratings. Put everything else on Peacock streaming. Payout around 1.5 mil per year per team with around 500k of that reserved for production costs/upgrades at member institutions. Cheap content for their streaming platform in exchange for some exposure on their broadcast network.

RE: Which networks will pick up the 6 leftover conferences - Schadenfreude - 05-17-2022 02:07 PM

(05-17-2022 09:36 AM)JHS55 Wrote:  You make a very good point, there are 10 FBs conferences but the sec and big10 might break away and do their own thing leaving 8 FBS conferences scrambling to survive

The NFC and AFC East might break away from the rest of the NFL.

It might happen.

[Image: giphy.gif]