CSNbbs
The thing I like least about the AAC expansion - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: The thing I like least about the AAC expansion (/thread-947473.html)

Pages: 1 2

The thing I like least about the AAC expansion - Keeper - 05-12-2022 07:59 PM

The AAC will now have more Texas schools (4) than the bigxii (3)

RE: The thing I like least about the AAC expansion - CatsClaw1 - 05-12-2022 08:13 PM

(05-12-2022 07:59 PM)Keeper Wrote:  The AAC will now have more Texas schools (4) than the bigxii (3)

?????

RE: The thing I like least about the AAC expansion - former guest - 05-12-2022 08:15 PM

Shhhh… he’s on a roll….

RE: The thing I like least about the AAC expansion - Keeper - 05-12-2022 08:21 PM

AAC: SMU, Rice, North Texas, UTSA
bigxii: Houston, Baylor, TCU, TT

OOPS same number, my bad. Still don't like it. Headquarters is in Arlington and Aresco was already Texas centric. Get a new commissioner and move headquarters somewhere more central to conference I would feel better. Aresco will be the commissioner until the he is offered the same job with the other conference with 4 texas schools.

Oh and one more reason I believe the bigxii will never offer membership to Memphis. I just learned the the University of Tennessee is an affiliate of the bigxii. Do you think The vowels want Memphis in a p5 conference. We can count on them to use any influence they have to prevent that.

RE: The thing I like least about the AAC expansion - CatsClaw1 - 05-12-2022 08:33 PM

(05-12-2022 08:15 PM)former guest Wrote:  Shhhh… he’s on a roll….

03-lmfao

RE: The thing I like least about the AAC expansion - CatsClaw1 - 05-12-2022 08:35 PM

(05-12-2022 08:21 PM)Keeper Wrote:  AAC: SMU, Rice, North Texas, UTSA

OOPS same number, my bad. Still don't like it. Headquarters is in Arlington and Aresco was already Texas centric. Get a new commissioner and move headquarters somewhere more central to conference I would feel better. Aresco will be the commissioner until the he is offered the same job with the other conference with 4 texas schools.

Oh and one more reason I believe the bigxii will never offer membership to Memphis. I just learned the the University of Tennessee is an affiliate of the bigxii. Do you think The vowels want Memphis in a p5 conference. We can count on them to use any influence they have to prevent that.

If the Big 12 wants Memphis they invite them, they're not going to be influenced by the Tennessee Women's Rowing team. I'm guessing that Liberty Bowl renovations holds much more sway than a rowing team.

RE: The thing I like least about the AAC expansion - Keeper - 05-12-2022 08:43 PM

(05-12-2022 08:35 PM)CatsClaw1 Wrote:  

If the Big 12 wants Memphis they invite them, they're not going to be influenced by the Tennessee Women's Rowing team. I'm guessing that Liberty Bowl renovations holds much more sway than a rowing team.

Women's rowing is that what you say is the extent of the affiliation? 03-lmfao

RE: The thing I like least about the AAC expansion - aardWolf - 05-13-2022 08:15 AM

(05-12-2022 08:43 PM)Keeper Wrote:  

Wikipedia agrees:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_12_Conference

[Image: LWybBZY.png]

RE: The thing I like least about the AAC expansion - Tiger87 - 05-14-2022 12:32 PM

(05-12-2022 08:43 PM)Keeper Wrote:  

What do you think the affiliation is? You think they allow UTK to vote on membership - after UTK voted to allow Texas and Okie into the SEC? Laughable.

RE: The thing I like least about the AAC expansion - 3rdgenerationtiger - 05-14-2022 12:42 PM

UTSA

RE: The thing I like least about the AAC expansion - dcg141 - 05-14-2022 12:56 PM

This conference is now officially irrelevant. The added schools bring nothing to the table. No history, no academics no buzz. Not sure that most college football fans are even aware that they have football teams. We would have been better off not adding them. They are commuter schools that got football teams and are going nowhere.

RE: The thing I like least about the AAC expansion - tigerlands - 05-14-2022 01:25 PM

(05-14-2022 12:56 PM)dcg141 Wrote:  This conference is now officially irrelevant. The added schools bring nothing to the table. No history, no academics no buzz. Not sure that most college football fans are even aware that they have football teams. We would have been better off not adding them. They are commuter schools that got football teams and are going nowhere.

I am not excited about any of the new members. I can see some potential with UTSA. But the rest don't bring much to the conference, except big TV markets. Rice is the biggest head scratcher.

RE: The thing I like least about the AAC expansion - memtigbb - 05-14-2022 01:28 PM

Hopefully we arent there much longer. That is the only viable scenario at this point... get the EFF out.

RE: The thing I like least about the AAC expansion - dcg141 - 05-14-2022 01:37 PM

(05-14-2022 01:25 PM)tigerlands Wrote:  
(05-14-2022 12:56 PM)dcg141 Wrote:  This conference is now officially irrelevant. The added schools bring nothing to the table. No history, no academics no buzz. Not sure that most college football fans are even aware that they have football teams. We would have been better off not adding them. They are commuter schools that got football teams and are going nowhere.

I am not excited about any of the new members. I can see some potential with UTSA. But the rest don't bring much to the conference, except big TV markets. Rice is the biggest head scratcher.

I don't even see that. I get that its a big market but I doubt they move the meter even in San Antonio. I was not even aware we added Rice..I take back the academics then. But Yea they don't bring anything else with them.

RE: The thing I like least about the AAC expansion - Mimi - 05-14-2022 03:04 PM

UCF barely moves the needle in Orlando, don’t let the UCF honks tell you otherwise
Houston similar on Houston
Cincy does ok but isn’t close to dominant player

Memphis moves the needle in Memphis

Yes, now that the NBA Grizzlies have been here over two decades and had a really good season they have elevated themselves here

And while there are plenty of utk and misippi fans here they pale compared to Memphis

Orlando is Gator country
Houston is A&M and Texas country
Cincy is Ohio State

Not suggesting the three leaving schools don’t have some local support just that none of them are close to Memphis in local impact

Which is why I liked Marshall and La Tech as expansion candidates. Smaller cities but meaningful in their area.

RE: The thing I like least about the AAC expansion - Keeper - 05-14-2022 09:13 PM

If we are talking druthers:
I would druther have:

Louisiana (Lafayette the capital of French Louisiana) over North Texas (the third wheel in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and not very far from Waco and Austin)

Charlotte, FAU, UAB are fine, but ArkSt would have been better for football and basketball than Rice.

Rice is good for academics and baseball.

RE: The thing I like least about the AAC expansion - Stammers - 05-15-2022 08:10 AM

(05-12-2022 08:15 PM)former guest Wrote:  Shhhh… he’s on a roll….

You can tell the days he ties the ponytail too tight.

RE: The thing I like least about the AAC expansion - Eagleonpar - 05-15-2022 08:45 AM

(05-14-2022 12:42 PM)3rdgenerationtiger Wrote:  UTSA

They are the new UCF. Will probably pass us in 10 years for P5 membership if things keep going the way they are going

RE: The thing I like least about the AAC expansion - bluebacker - 05-15-2022 09:41 AM

Southern Miss is the poster child for what happens to programs that get left behind. They are a sad, sad tale and hopefully the move to the 'belt will help them regain a little bit of what they used to be although I don't think they will ever fully recover.

Markets do seem to be the driving factor for all modern day conference expansion.

Now that football and men's basketball are really nothing more than loosely regulated low level professional sports I expect that the passion of the average college fan for his/her school will slowly wane over the next 10-15 years as the best prospects simply go to the highest bidder - no equitable draft system - just buy all your team can afford - and all the G5 'late bloomers' transfer after a year or two for bigger, better NIL deals.

These two sports are really nothing more than A / AA baseball franchises playing in a group of unregulated lower level pro sports leagues with a very distinct pecking order.

In my opinion, NIL strips away the biggest and main difference between college sports and minor league pro sports and I don't think it ends well for the fans.

RE: The thing I like least about the AAC expansion - Stammers - 05-15-2022 11:03 AM

They won't care about access to tv markets and recruiting in $EC country. They will care about women's rowing.

04-drinky03-lmfao01-wingedeagle