CSNbbs
“NIL” - Good Bad or Ugly - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Western Michigan (/forum-469.html)
+------ Forum: The Dan Burgardt Memorial Bronco Football Forum (/forum-489.html)
+------ Thread: “NIL” - Good Bad or Ugly (/thread-946753.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

“NIL” - Good Bad or Ugly - okgc - 04-27-2022 05:56 AM

I thought this topic needed a thread of its own.
Some comments have been on Basketball topic

IMO Certainly NIL in college sports is out of control with really no policing organization. College athletes getting over $400k per year

This is the most information I have found about WMU.

Western Michigan University | NIL College Athletes
https://nilcollegeathletes.com/universities/western-michigan-university

RE: “NIL” - Good Bad or Ugly - okgc - 04-27-2022 06:04 AM

CMU has online NIL policy. I have not found anything from WMU.

CMU Athletics Outlines Name, Image and Likeness -
https://cmuchippewas.com/news/2021/7/1/general-cmu-athletics-outlines-name-image-and-likeness.aspx

RE: “NIL” - Good Bad or Ugly - wmubroncopilot - 04-27-2022 12:56 PM

What does the amount some athletes get have to do with it?

RE: “NIL” - Good Bad or Ugly - okgc - 04-27-2022 01:14 PM

(04-27-2022 12:56 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  What does the amount some athletes get have to do with it?

The amount of NIL $$ certainly is determining where recruits go.

RE: “NIL” - Good Bad or Ugly - wmubroncopilot - 04-27-2022 01:19 PM

OK. Ignoring that this has always been the case, why is an athlete making $400k+ inherently "out of control"?

RE: “NIL” - Good Bad or Ugly - moe24 - 04-27-2022 02:51 PM

(04-27-2022 01:19 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  OK. Ignoring that this has always been the case, why is an athlete making $400k+ inherently "out of control"?

It's not IMO. Coaches make huge salaries, millions are spent on facilities, TV and corporate sponsorships net millions for school and conferences; there is no reason for the athletes to be excluded from this.

RE: “NIL” - Good Bad or Ugly - GRBRONCO - 04-27-2022 03:17 PM

College athletes should not be paid, really need to take the top 40 or 50 programs and make it a semi-pro division and let the rest get back to college sports.

Highschool students help sell out arenas. There was 12,000 people at my local highschool football game last fall at $7/ticket. Why aren't they getting paid?

RE: “NIL” - Good Bad or Ugly - moe24 - 04-27-2022 03:48 PM

(04-27-2022 03:17 PM)GRBRONCO Wrote:  College athletes should not be paid, really need to take the top 40 or 50 programs and make it a semi-pro division and let the rest get back to college sports.

Highschool students help sell out arenas. There was 12,000 people at my local highschool football game last fall at $7/ticket. Why aren't they getting paid?

College, not only the "major" programs, has been big business for decades. You can't stuff the genie back in the bottle. Sure, in an ideal world college athletics should be purely amateur, but that ship sailed long ago and it's inherently wrong to deliberately exclude the very athletes who produce the product.

RE: “NIL” - Good Bad or Ugly - GRBRONCO - 04-27-2022 03:54 PM

(04-27-2022 03:48 PM)moe24 Wrote:  
(04-27-2022 03:17 PM)GRBRONCO Wrote:  College athletes should not be paid, really need to take the top 40 or 50 programs and make it a semi-pro division and let the rest get back to college sports.

College, not only the "major" programs, has been big business for decades. You can't stuff the genie back in the bottle. Sure, in an ideal world college athletics should be purely amateur, but that ship sailed long ago and it's inherently wrong to deliberately exclude the very athletes who produce the product.

Why don't high school football players get paid? They are certainly providing the product. They're out there breaking bones and blowing out knees and they're not even getting a free college education and room and board and meals.

RE: “NIL” - Good Bad or Ugly - wmubroncopilot - 04-27-2022 03:56 PM

(04-27-2022 03:54 PM)GRBRONCO Wrote:  

Why don't high school football players get paid? They are certainly providing the product.

Well the colleges themselves aren't paying players either. If someone wants to pay a high school athlete for whatever reason who am I to GAF.

RE: “NIL” - Good Bad or Ugly - moe24 - 04-27-2022 04:00 PM

(04-27-2022 03:54 PM)GRBRONCO Wrote:  

Why don't high school football players get paid? They are certainly providing the product.

If some company wants to pay a NIL sponsorship to a high school student they can IMO. Granted there are certain rules on how that would get paid for kids under 18, but I have no problem with it in principle.

RE: “NIL” - Good Bad or Ugly - okgc - 04-27-2022 05:03 PM

Class of 2023 player signs $8M NIL agreement, per The Athletic
https://usatodayhss.com/2022/class-2023-signs-8-million-nil-agreement

RE: “NIL” - Good Bad or Ugly - wmubroncopilot - 04-27-2022 05:24 PM

(04-27-2022 05:03 PM)okgc Wrote:  Class of 2023 player signs $8M NIL agreement, per The Athletic
https://usatodayhss.com/2022/class-2023-signs-8-million-nil-agreement

Good for him.

Likelihood is that this money from the "collective" would otherwise have been donated to the program. Better? Worse? Why?

Or, alternatively, it may have been distributed by "bag men"-- essentially the exact same thing that's happening now except it's in the open and probably opening up more opportunity for athletes.

For a good reference:

https://www.bannersociety.com/2014/4/10/20703758/bag-man-paying-college-football-players

Can almost guarantee many of these so-called bag men are involved in the now legal collectives.

RE: “NIL” - Good Bad or Ugly - Dirty Ernie - 04-27-2022 05:25 PM

Good point. Hadn’t thought about that.

There might be some argument where you say over 18 you are an adult, and getting paid for services rendered is more the expectation.

RE: “NIL” - Good Bad or Ugly - moe24 - 04-29-2022 03:21 PM

Some good perspective...

https://theathletic.com/3281954/2022/04/29/mandel-does-pay-for-play-make-you-uncomfortable-because-its-wrong-or-because-its-different/

RE: “NIL” - Good Bad or Ugly - toddjnsn - 04-29-2022 04:09 PM

Quote:Highschool students help sell out arenas. There was 12,000 people at my local highschool football game last fall at $7/ticket. Why aren't they getting paid?

Because they're putting good $$ in the football budget, and the players aren't the only ones. But I could see the school utilizing Extra $$ than others during their good winning stretches -- to pay for everything post & pre-game (food, etc) -- along with free coupons for food & stuff to give to relatives for games.

But not much. I would just say what overflows from their increased budget to do so well -- which is still isn't going to be much $$ for each player. More like some padding. Allowing Alumni to "donate" some, to a limited degree? Like getting the whole team cool shirts, shoes, food, and other stuff? That's fine.

RE: “NIL” - Good Bad or Ugly - Windycitybronco - 04-29-2022 06:43 PM

The transfer portal was the beginning of the end of college athletics. The NIL deal is just the beginning of minor league/developmental league sports for 18 year olds….
Kids won’t be playing for school pride or any of the pure reasons, but then again, purity and pride waved bye bye a long time ago when people started filming the daily habits of their family and getting paid for it.
Social media in all its forms allows people who are rather common to be heard, to entertain and to market themselves. Gatekeepers (NCAA) are no longer able to keep the gate so to speak.

RE: “NIL” - Good Bad or Ugly - Boca Rocket - 04-29-2022 09:44 PM

(04-27-2022 05:25 PM)Dirty Ernie Wrote:  

Good point. Hadn’t thought about that.

There might be some argument where you say over 18 you are an adult, and getting paid for services rendered is more the expectation.

And there are child labor laws.

Average cost for a 4 year degree at a public university is over $100,000.
Same thing for a private university is over $200,000.

RE: “NIL” - Good Bad or Ugly - Windycitybronco - 04-29-2022 11:15 PM

It’s fine if you want to pay them, I actually agree, colleges created this mess. Couldn’t say no the money.
However, understand that college football is done. The pageantry and the pomp is over.

Jimmy is going to play for college A, then jump ship for whatever school pays more and so on and so forth. Pretty soon, college football players who play 4 years at one college will be like a unicorn.

RE: “NIL” - Good Bad or Ugly - RunningGame - 04-30-2022 08:53 AM

Giving 8 million dollars to an 18-year-old (these days) is like letting an alcoholic live in a liquor store. Money destroys plenty of 23-year-olds going to the NFL. Turning a college sports team into a professional team is inherently against the purpose and character of an academy.

If this is about the best interests of the students and institutions, then we would start lighting our tickets on fire. We are entertaining ourselves to death.