CSNbbs
ESPN: SBC East Preview - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: ESPN: SBC East Preview (/thread-946714.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

ESPN: SBC East Preview - chiefsfan - 04-26-2022 09:32 AM

Requires an ESPN Plus account to read the full article. Has a good write up on JMU.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/33804697/sun-belt-east-college-football-preview-projections-storylines-group-5-best-division

RE: ESPN: SBC East Preview - James Madison - 04-26-2022 09:56 AM

Such a great feeling to feel relevant finally. G5 thunderdome as they put it sounds awesome

RE: ESPN: SBC East Preview - JMURocks - 04-26-2022 10:57 AM

Great article. Hopefully most of our fans already have ESPN+ given it's where almost all our games will be. They really do their research and have an in-depth look at all the teams.

This paragraph reflects what a lot of us were saying prior to moving up. Timing is important, and JMU is transitioning at the right time to find success.

Quote:Timing the jump to FBS is harder than it looks. Programs such as UMass and Texas State had already begun to falter at the FCS level when they jumped to FBS and stalled out altogether. Occasionally you'll see a team such as Marshall or Liberty hit the ground running, but it's really tricky.

All indications are that Curt Cignetti's James Madison team is more Marshall or App State than UMass.

An interesting thing to think about: there are only 8 FCS teams that have ever won multiple NC's. All 4 that jumped to FBS will be in SBC east: Georgia Southern, App St, Marshall, JMU. The other 4 are NDSU, YSU, EKU, and Montana. Of those 4 remaining, only NDSU has had titles in the past 20 years.

RE: ESPN: SBC East Preview - hburg - 04-26-2022 02:22 PM

It really looks like ESPN is pushing the SBC hard to be the new top G5.

RE: ESPN: SBC East Preview - bcp_jmu - 04-26-2022 06:43 PM

and i gotta think that they will help us all get stronger OOC games....chance to shine, this is all working out so nicely (and we haven't even joined yet or played a down!)

RE: ESPN: SBC East Preview - JMaddy - 04-26-2022 11:03 PM

Hot Take prediction: JMU will be in a New Year's 6 game within the next 7 years (if that path still exists)

RE: ESPN: SBC East Preview - Appst94 - 04-27-2022 07:23 AM

(04-26-2022 11:03 PM)JMaddy Wrote:  Hot Take prediction: JMU will be in a New Year's 6 game within the next 7 years (if that path still exists)

Not an impossible task. Your first three years will provide a good litmus as to whether it happens.

RE: ESPN: SBC East Preview - BleedingPurple - 04-27-2022 03:42 PM

(04-26-2022 11:03 PM)JMaddy Wrote:  Hot Take prediction: JMU will be in a New Year's 6 game within the next 7 years (if that path still exists)

That's ambitious. We've not consistently played our peers, for a very long time. In my opinion, not since 2008. That type of special season is not going to be easily replicated. I do agree that playing in a "New Year's 6" is possible within 7 years, but not very likely. Love to be underestimating my Dukes.

RE: ESPN: SBC East Preview - JMaddy - 04-28-2022 09:20 AM

(04-27-2022 07:23 AM)Appst94 Wrote:  

Not an impossible task. Your first three years will provide a good litmus as to whether it happens.

Agree its ambitious but not impossible. To do it we need to hit the ground running. Key to that is we need to beat both Marshall and App St in the first two seasons at least once each. I know Coastal and GSU are 'hot right now' but the true kings of the hill programs are those two, so we have to establish we're on par with the league's best and able to beat them off the bat. Even if we go undefeated against the rest of the SBC East if we lose our first two games vs. Marshall and App St. we're basically establishing that we're a clear #3 in the pecking order. It also doesn't matter where Marshall and App St. finish in the league standings because they are historic programs so the respect from the pollsters will come from beating them.

We absolutely will need to beat UVA and VT when we play them to establish P5 and in-state bona fides.

Need to win the Sun Belt - East at least 2-3 times in the first 6 years (especially the year prior) and need to knock off Louisiana and win a bowl game.

If all that happens (and I think it not only can but will) then a NY6 is on the table if we run the table.

RE: ESPN: SBC East Preview - Appst94 - 04-28-2022 10:18 AM

(04-28-2022 09:20 AM)JMaddy Wrote:  

Agree its ambitious but not impossible. To do it we need to hit the ground running. Key to that is we need to beat both Marshall and App St in the first two seasons at least once each. I know Coastal and GSU are 'hot right now' but the true kings of the hill programs are those two, so we have to establish we're on par with the league's best and able to beat them off the bat. Even if we go undefeated against the rest of the SBC East if we lose our first two games vs. Marshall and App St. we're basically establishing that we're a clear #3 in the pecking order. It also doesn't matter where Marshall and App St. finish in the league standings because they are historic programs so the respect from the pollsters will come from beating them.

We absolutely will need to beat UVA and VT when we play them to establish P5 and in-state bona fides.

Need to win the Sun Belt - East at least 2-3 times in the first 6 years (especially the year prior) and need to knock off Louisiana and win a bowl game.

If all that happens (and I think it not only can but will) then a NY6 is on the table if we run the table.

That’s not quite what I meant. All of those things are cool and all but who you beat and how has nothing to do with the foundation for success. Georgia Southern won the conference their first year and we see how that worked out. What I am talking about is getting three years of high school recruits in the program to keep the culture moving forward and building depth. If you bring in 75 high school kids in the first three years and you can keep 60% of them on the roster, you have something special. Cignetti is in his 60’s so at some point, you will need to get a new coach and that hire can either keep the train moving or derail the cars. You need to get guys that want to be there and compete. Look at the proven G5 powers. Notice how many guys jump in the portal from those schools. Not many.

I’m going to say this and please understand that it isn’t meant to quell fandom, but beating UVA or VT won’t do much for improved recruiting. Chances are, you have a kid mulling over legit committable offers from JMU and one of those schools and you are likely going to lose out. If you listen to App fans that see offer lists, they all look the same but they aren’t. We beat UNC and USC east in 2019 and we still lose guys to them at the last minute.

Build your depth through solid evaluation and development, maintain coaching continuity and embody the culture and you should do nicely in building your brand at the FBS level.

RE: ESPN: SBC East Preview - Longhorn - 04-28-2022 01:52 PM

(04-28-2022 10:18 AM)Appst94 Wrote:  

That’s not quite what I meant. All of those things are cool and all but who you beat and how has nothing to do with the foundation for success. Georgia Southern won the conference their first year and we see how that worked out. What I am talking about is getting three years of high school recruits in the program to keep the culture moving forward and building depth. If you bring in 75 high school kids in the first three years and you can keep 60% of them on the roster, you have something special. Cignetti is in his 60’s so at some point, you will need to get a new coach and that hire can either keep the train moving or derail the cars. You need to get guys that want to be there and compete. Look at the proven G5 powers. Notice how many guys jump in the portal from those schools. Not many.

I’m going to say this and please understand that it isn’t meant to quell fandom, but beating UVA or VT won’t do much for improved recruiting. Chances are, you have a kid mulling over legit committable offers from JMU and one of those schools and you are likely going to lose out. If you listen to App fans that see offer lists, they all look the same but they aren’t. We beat UNC and USC east in 2019 and we still lose guys to them at the last minute.

Build your depth through solid evaluation and development, maintain coaching continuity and embody the culture and you should do nicely in building your brand at the FBS level.

Oh really? Disagree. Beating UVA and VT will not only help JMU’s recruiting profile in VA (and the mid-Atlantic), it will boost regular season home attendance which will speed-up building-out JMU’s FB stadium…which in turn will help improve recruiting.

Bottom line, there’s no substitute for winning, and winning against other instate schools earns a program bragging rights when coaches approach talent in VA, and the D1 talent in VA is sufficient to compete on a national level.

RE: ESPN: SBC East Preview - Appst94 - 04-28-2022 02:24 PM

(04-28-2022 01:52 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  

Oh really? Disagree. Beating UVA and VT will not only help JMU’s recruiting profile in VA (and the mid-Atlantic), it will boost regular season home attendance which will speed-up building-out JMU’s FB stadium…which in turn will help improve recruiting.

Bottom line, there’s no substitute for winning, and winning against other instate schools earns a program bragging rights when coaches approach talent in VA, and the D1 talent in VA is sufficient to compete on a national level.

You are correct. There is no substitute for winning. However, winning is the by-product of culture. Not the other way around. I never said that your recruiting wouldn’t get better. I said beating your in state P5s won’t help. Perhaps I worded my comments poorly, as I meant to say that you won’t affect a kid’s decision to choose you over them because of head to head results. Bragging rights are cute, but in all honesty, they can’t compete against the bells and whistles that a P5 offers.

Since 2015, App has the best record in the FBS outside of Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St., and Oklahoma. That still doesn’t make a kid choose App over Carolina or State. Disagree if you want. I’ve got 7 years of experience watching FBS recruiting that tells me you are misguided.

RE: ESPN: SBC East Preview - jmu82 - 04-28-2022 02:59 PM

Oh sh*t! Now you've gone and done it. Grab hold of the women and children....

RE: ESPN: SBC East Preview - Madisonian - 04-28-2022 03:12 PM

(04-28-2022 02:24 PM)Appst94 Wrote:  
(04-27-2022 07:23 AM)Appst94 Wrote:  Not an impossible task. Your first three years will provide a good litmus as to whether it happens.

You are correct. There is no substitute for winning. However, winning is the by-product of culture. Not the other way around. I never said that your recruiting wouldn’t get better. I said beating your in state P5s won’t help. Perhaps I worded my comments poorly, as I meant to say that you won’t affect a kid’s decision to choose you over them because of head to head results. Bragging rights are cute, but in all honesty, they can’t compete against the bells and whistles that a P5 offers.

Since 2015, App has the best record in the FBS outside of Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St., and Oklahoma. That still doesn’t make a kid choose App over Carolina or State. Disagree if you want. I’ve got 7 years of experience watching FBS recruiting that tells me you are misguided.

I have to agree here. We have a long way to go, ancient football history and winning cultures count, as does the emerging Wild West that is NIL - which I haven’t seen robust activity at JMU yet. Hell, we’re losing folks to P5 over protein shakes and athletic delicatessens…

Excited for the growth and opportunity and ready to root regardless!

RE: ESPN: SBC East Preview - Longhorn - 04-28-2022 10:26 PM

(04-28-2022 02:24 PM)Appst94 Wrote:  
(04-27-2022 07:23 AM)Appst94 Wrote:  Not an impossible task. Your first three years will provide a good litmus as to whether it happens.

Wow! 7 whole years experience watching FBS recruiting? It’s hard to beat that kind of experience. 04-bow

03-lmfao

RE: ESPN: SBC East Preview - Duke Dawg - 04-29-2022 06:33 AM

The app guy is right.

Don’t argue with him just to argue.

P5’s will ALWAYS win the recruiting wars. We may get a few guys here and there, but the resources they have, and now NIL, is extremely difficult to overcome.

And don’t be fooled, a good bit of our guys have p5 offers, but I’d bet many of those are contingent.

P5: “You’re our qb! We’ll take you…… if Joe Montana or Tom Brady don’t commit” Two weeks later: Joe Montana commits and no ship available from that p5 school anymore. This happens all the time.

And we probably do the same to guys as well. We probably have 200 offers out. We obviously aren’t taking them all. But there is no doubt Cig and staff have some players identified as priority recruits, and they aren’t accepting more commits that leave those priority guys out cold. There are plan b and c guys in those offers.

RE: ESPN: SBC East Preview - Appst94 - 04-29-2022 07:09 AM

(04-29-2022 06:33 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  The app guy is right.

P5’s will ALWAYS win the recruiting wars. We may get a few guys here and there, but the resources they have, and now NIL, is extremely difficult to overcome.

And don’t be fooled, a good bit of our guys have p5 offers, but I’d bet many of those are contingent.

P5: “You’re our qb! We’ll take you…… if Joe Montana or Tom Brady don’t commit” Two weeks later: Joe Montana commits and no ship available from that p5 school anymore. This happens all the time.

And we probably do the same to guys as well. We probably have 200 offers out. We obviously aren’t taking them all. But there is no doubt Cig and staff have some players identified as priority recruits, and they aren’t accepting more commits that leave those priority guys out cold. There are plan b and c guys in those offers.
Spot on here. This is the stuff that we at the G5 deal with. And God forbid Cignetti and staff turn out to be monsters at evaluation and recruiting. Schools will have their offer list and commits on the their war room wall looking at poaching.

We had a kid committed last year to play WR for close to 8 months. Kid is a Gamecock diehard. They wanted him as an h-back (he was adamant with us that he wanted to play WR) but needed to see if the numbers would work out before offering. He visited with no offer. Two days before NSD, Beamer offers him and he is gone. Those are the ones that are hard because you have a limited window to get back in with someone.

On the flip, we did land one kid recently that was down to us and VT, the kid’s team growing up. The kid was on the phone with Fuentes who was pushing for a commit. The kid was honest with him and told him he was still mulling over his options. (App vs VT). Fuentes starting trashing App on the call. Needless to say, Fuentes sealed their fate. But those happen few and far between.

What kind of size does JMU prefer in OL guys? Maulers or guys with agility?

RE: ESPN: SBC East Preview - Longhorn - 04-29-2022 09:47 AM

That’s right. I forgot. UVA and VT probably also offer milkshakes. Maybe JMU should have stayed DII so we wouldn’t have to suffer the ignominy of losing every future recruiting battle to in-state P5s, even though JMU might develop a history of beating them.

JMU should just know it’s place, right? Ambition and growth are a deadly combo and only lead to heartbreak. An App fan with 7 years of watching FBS recruiting experience has spoken and deigned the limitations of JMU’s future is, like it or not, to forevermore live in the recruiting shadow of UVA and VT. Dukes fans everywhere should expect less and be happy with it. 07-coffee3

RE: ESPN: SBC East Preview - olddawg - 04-29-2022 10:48 AM

The difficulty in winning a G5 vs P5 recruiting battle will continue to get harder as schools phase in the new allowable $5980 per year "reward".

The recent Supreme Court ruling in Alston vs. the NCAA case paved the way for student-athletes to receive up to $5,980 per academic year to reward academic progress. Student-athletes have the opportunity to earn rewards for their continued achievement in the classroom and progress toward graduation.

Though it's in its infancy right now, you can bet all the big boys will be handing out that $ as an inducement. They may not want to right now, but when coaches & boosters complain that it is a recruiting disadvantage not to provide it, they'll all toe the line. Between the COA, NIL and this new "reward", it's an athletic arms race. And the massive TV $$ the P5s get will allow them to max this all out.

RE: ESPN: SBC East Preview - JMURocks - 04-29-2022 11:39 AM

(04-29-2022 10:48 AM)olddawg Wrote:  Though it's in its infancy right now, you can bet all the big boys will be handing out that $ as an inducement. They may not want to right now, but when coaches & boosters complain that it is a recruiting disadvantage not to provide it, they'll all toe the line. Between the COA, NIL and this new "reward", it's an athletic arms race. And the massive TV $$ the P5s get will allow them to max this all out.

The real trouble is the unregulated NIL combined with easy transfer rules. It creates situations like Miami's Wong, where the player pushes for more money constantly, and there's no spending caps. Even the professional leagues have salary caps to provide some competitive balance.

The whole thing is likely to implode at the top if they don't put some additional regulations in around it. I think that's coming one way or another. And it is possible the SEC/B1G bolt. That might result in a better system for the remaining schools.

Regardless of what shakes out, I like the position we are in with peer schools in the SBC. It may take a few years, but eventually this stuff will be sorted out.