CSNbbs
Portal problem - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: Portal problem (/thread-946700.html)

Pages: 1 2

Portal problem - uiniu57 - 04-25-2022 10:00 PM

Interesting article entitled: Brave new NIL world
Top college hoops transfer Nijel Pack is leaving Kansas State for Miami, where he'll be getting more than just a new team.
Driving the news: Pack announced his commitment on Saturday, and the terms of his first NIL deal were made public shortly thereafter: $800,000 over two years, plus a car.
The deal is with LifeWallet, a healthcare company with ties to John Ruiz, a Miami businessman investing big money into Canes athletes.
Ruiz has signed millions of dollars in NIL deals, but this is the biggest one yet — and may have helped Miami land a First-Team All-Big 12 player.
Why it matters: This is the first major signing to coincide with the public release of NIL terms — a coordinated move that almost flaunts the link between the two.
Could Pack have always had his eyes set on the Canes? Sure. Or maybe his visit to campus simply blew him away.
Another theory: Free agency has come to college sports. Pack entered the transfer portal, and Miami (aka. Ruiz) offered the best deal.
The bottom line: We're nearly a year into the NIL era, and it's abundantly clear that college sports will never be the same. Add in the transfer portal and big-money boosters, and it's an entirely new world.

RE: Portal problem - HuskieJ - 04-26-2022 06:49 AM

(04-25-2022 10:00 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  Interesting article entitled: Brave new NIL world
Top college hoops transfer Nijel Pack is leaving Kansas State for Miami, where he'll be getting more than just a new team.
Driving the news: Pack announced his commitment on Saturday, and the terms of his first NIL deal were made public shortly thereafter: $800,000 over two years, plus a car.
The deal is with LifeWallet, a healthcare company with ties to John Ruiz, a Miami businessman investing big money into Canes athletes.
Ruiz has signed millions of dollars in NIL deals, but this is the biggest one yet — and may have helped Miami land a First-Team All-Big 12 player.
Why it matters: This is the first major signing to coincide with the public release of NIL terms — a coordinated move that almost flaunts the link between the two.
Could Pack have always had his eyes set on the Canes? Sure. Or maybe his visit to campus simply blew him away.
Another theory: Free agency has come to college sports. Pack entered the transfer portal, and Miami (aka. Ruiz) offered the best deal.
The bottom line: We're nearly a year into the NIL era, and it's abundantly clear that college sports will never be the same. Add in the transfer portal and big-money boosters, and it's an entirely new world.

This is just getting started. My daughter will go to FSU this fall. FSU has three separate NIL companies set up for millions each that will funnel money to players. This is all the under the table stuff just becoming legit. Should be interesting to watch (since our university will not be playing in this game) as this money moves in will it eventually impact the amount the University can pull in for facilities, etc. There is still a finite amount f cash in play, so it will be interesting to see this balance itself out.

RE: Portal problem - pantone1935 - 04-26-2022 07:30 AM

(04-26-2022 06:49 AM)HuskieJ Wrote:  
(04-25-2022 10:00 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  Interesting article entitled: Brave new NIL world

This is just getting started. My daughter will go to FSU this fall. FSU has three separate NIL companies set up for millions each that will funnel money to players. This is all the under the table stuff just becoming legit. Should be interesting to watch (since our university will not be playing in this game) as this money moves in will it eventually impact the amount the University can pull in for facilities, etc. There is still a finite amount f cash in play, so it will be interesting to see this balance itself out.

Hope your daughter has as much fun and a good education as my daughter did. Got her law degree and spouse at FSU. I guess this means Fattys is not a player in the NIL game.

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: Portal problem - Big Red - 04-26-2022 08:00 AM

There was an ESPN article yesterday reporting that only 54% of D-1 football players who entered the portal this year signed on with a new team.

Somethings going to have to break here because the division between the halves and the have-nots is as wide as the Grand Canyon and getting wider.

RE: Portal problem - BigChilla - 04-26-2022 09:32 AM

Imagine if we lost a guy like Ducker…I bet some huge school came in with all that money and swooped him up…errr wait.

RE: Portal problem - klake87 - 04-26-2022 09:58 AM

So does SMU get all of their wins back?

RE: Portal problem - NIU75 - 04-26-2022 10:01 AM

NIU needs a bag man for NIL deals. More details on Pack. NIL will get crazy in the coming years and will change the NCAA.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/purdues-search-point-guard-continues-172739950.html

RE: Portal problem - HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN - 04-26-2022 11:08 AM

This has destroyed amateur athletics and what used to be the NCAA.

While fully against these NIL deals in principle, I guess the time has come that NIU should have a VP in charge of getting NIL deals. Change the name of the university if it needs too. I guess we could be Northern Illinois University by Amazon. Enough $ and no conference will be unobtainable.

RE: Portal problem - HuskieJ - 04-26-2022 11:30 AM

Just look at what Jackson State is doing at the FCS level regarding NIL. Makes the MAC look like DIII.

RE: Portal problem - randyfensfanclub1 - 04-26-2022 12:00 PM

Makes me sick.

Can't wait til a disgruntled kid blows the whistle as to he was given an offer before attending a school. I am not even sure where that fine line starts and ends as I am sure some of these companies marketing likeness, player goods are tied to certain schools, explain how the money works depending on their "school selection."

This is making Blue Chips even more outdated and almost relic of what sports was. And offers that would now be considered "cheap."

And to think SMU and others got penalized for things like giving kids shoes and air fare to go home for family funerals.

Must make nearly all of the non-revenue sport athletes, namely at smaller schools and even some of them at schools/sports getting paid, wonder what they are doing wrong.

RE: Portal problem - Big Red - 04-26-2022 12:12 PM

(04-26-2022 11:08 AM)HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Wrote:  

While fully against these NIL deals in principle, I guess the time has come that NIU should have a VP in charge of getting NIL deals. Change the name of the university if it needs too. I guess we could be Northern Illinois University by Amazon. Enough $ and no conference will be unobtainable.

We can't get anyone to put their name on our arena.

Why do we think we can get someone to pay our players to win a MAC Championship?

RE: Portal problem - klake87 - 04-26-2022 12:18 PM

For schools like NIU, this will be bad. We have only so much finite donations. We will be robbing Peter to pay Paul. Other big donors will just contribute additional funds to NIL programs. Not enough donors to pay for other non revenue sports, upgrades to facilities and pay athletes.

RE: Portal problem - randyfensfanclub1 - 04-26-2022 12:24 PM

(04-26-2022 12:12 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

Why do we think we can get someone to pay our players to win a MAC Championship?

Better return for your investment if winning is what you want.

Local, smaller company trying to look good, probably kid. I saw a Kofi billboard at UI this past weekend but could not tell you who sponsor was. But I am sure most on campus do who know him.

If you are large corporation looking to make a return on your money you go through school.

Honestly, this KSU to Miami kid is the 1st dollar amount I have seen, one of the only companies. Life Wallet. While I am sure they are getting clicks, pretty sure the owner didn't do it for the financial return. Some school in the MAC will figure it out. Or a should say a sponsor will. You'll see a title or two bought by a Bowling Green, Akron...maybe an NIU. And then 5 years later you will see a 30 for 30 on it.

RE: Portal problem - randyfensfanclub1 - 04-26-2022 12:31 PM

(04-26-2022 12:18 PM)klake87 Wrote:  For schools like NIU, this will be bad. We have only so much finite donations. We will be robbing Peter to pay Paul. Other big donors will just contribute additional funds to NIL programs. Not enough donors to pay for other non revenue sports, upgrades to facilities and pay athletes.

On the outside, I agree.

But winning could bring in other money to school.

Does NIU have a diehard rich guy who can and wants to figure out how to pay a kid AFTER he gets there, performs and imply there is more for others?I mean Fatty's can only add so many sandwiches named after players to menu! 03-lmfao

I think it's harder to do in football, especially at an NIU. May sound nuts, even for NIU, but maybe basketball gets more return/$ in long run. Honestly, probably bigger deal is not being on broadcast/cable tv regularly.

RE: Portal problem - HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN - 04-26-2022 01:52 PM

(04-26-2022 12:31 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  
(04-26-2022 12:18 PM)klake87 Wrote:  For schools like NIU, this will be bad. We have only so much finite donations. We will be robbing Peter to pay Paul. Other big donors will just contribute additional funds to NIL programs. Not enough donors to pay for other non revenue sports, upgrades to facilities and pay athletes.

On the outside, I agree.

But winning could bring in other money to school.

Does NIU have a diehard rich guy who can and wants to figure out how to pay a kid AFTER he gets there, performs and imply there is more for others?I mean Fatty's can only add so many sandwiches named after players to menu! 03-lmfao

I think it's harder to do in football, especially at an NIU. May sound nuts, even for NIU, but maybe basketball gets more return/$ in long run. Honestly, probably bigger deal is not being on broadcast/cable tv regularly.

A bunch of one year deals 05-stirthepot

RE: Portal problem - Big Red - 04-26-2022 03:31 PM

(04-26-2022 12:24 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  

Local, smaller company trying to look good, probably kid. I saw a Kofi billboard at UI this past weekend but could not tell you who sponsor was. But I am sure most on campus do who know him.

If you are large corporation looking to make a return on your money you go through school.

Honestly, this KSU to Miami kid is the 1st dollar amount I have seen, one of the only companies. Life Wallet. While I am sure they are getting clicks, pretty sure the owner didn't do it for the financial return. Some school in the MAC will figure it out. Or a should say a sponsor will. You'll see a title or two bought by a Bowling Green, Akron...maybe an NIU. And then 5 years later you will see a 30 for 30 on it.

Maybe I'm pessimistic or whatever. I'm not trying to be argumentative though. But I just don't get it.

What would "winning" mean for any kind of corporation to invest in an NIU athlete. And enough of them to actually make a difference?

I'm not sure it's been disclosed how much Rocky is getting from Fatty's but I bet it's not much. For one, they'd have to get back (or would want to) what they give him. Otherwise, it's a bad deal for the company/entity.

So, if a company wanted to invest in NIU basketball, what would be a realistic level of winning be? I can't imagine it would be a national championship. That would take tons of money and there's nowhere close to any kind of guarantee that it would happen.

And I can't imagine a MAC championship moves the needle for any company to actually invest money into.

The actual only realistic option is the big pockets donor who just wants to sink money into it and doesn't care what comes of it.

I don't know that that exists for us.

Again, I'm not trying to be argumentative or pessimistic. I'm just not at all seeing the other side to this debate.

Who knows. Maybe the Yordon or Chessick families get the itch to pump money into the programs. They didn't for a coach plus there's no indication they have any interest in the basketball program as the arena still stands unnamed and I'd assume either of them could claim that with less money than was put up for either Center.

Maybe I'm wrong.

RE: Portal problem - HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN - 04-26-2022 03:36 PM

(04-26-2022 03:31 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

Maybe I'm pessimistic or whatever. I'm not trying to be argumentative though. But I just don't get it.

What would "winning" mean for any kind of corporation to invest in an NIU athlete. And enough of them to actually make a difference?

I'm not sure it's been disclosed how much Rocky is getting from Fatty's but I bet it's not much. For one, they'd have to get back (or would want to) what they give him. Otherwise, it's a bad deal for the company/entity.

So, if a company wanted to invest in NIU basketball, what would be a realistic level of winning be? I can't imagine it would be a national championship. That would take tons of money and there's nowhere close to any kind of guarantee that it would happen.

And I can't imagine a MAC championship moves the needle for any company to actually invest money into.

The actual only realistic option is the big pockets donor who just wants to sink money into it and doesn't care what comes of it.

Again, I'm not trying to be argumentative or pessimistic. I'm just not at all seeing the other side to this debate.

Who knows. Maybe the Yordon or Chessick families get the itch to pump money into the programs. They didn't for a coach plus there's no indication they have any interest in the basketball program as the arena still stands unnamed and I'd assume either of them could claim that with less money than was put up for either Center.

Maybe I'm wrong.

I don't get it either, but apparently others do and they pay for players.

RE: Portal problem - randyfensfanclub1 - 04-26-2022 04:45 PM

(04-26-2022 03:31 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

Maybe I'm wrong.

I think Fatty's threw Rocky a bone, got his name on a sandwich for some attention, do good for him. Just a guess.

Here is some background to the guy throwing money around at Miami. https://businessofcollegesports.com/name-image-likeness/tracking-lifewallets-mission-to-sign-10-million-in-nil-deals/

He is recruiting athletes...period. And they all know it. You don't make a statement with a $10,000,000 target for nothing. Now, what I want to know is how does a kid know how much he will get if he goes there. You see a couple grand all over...10's of thousands.....then $800k. Sounds kind of odd. And the guy is an attorney which is great.

There is a way to link to schools and such. I will have to give it a look.

But in short, there are owners of corporations where money is no object. It's giving to the player not the school.

RE: Portal problem - NIU1981 - 04-26-2022 05:21 PM

Slightly different subject: I just noticed that Akron has picked up portal signings from Mississippi State, West Virginia, Minnesota, Syracuse, Houston, Memphis, Pitt, Kansas State, Penn State and Alabama. Their new coaching staff is busy.

RE: Portal problem - HuskieDave - 04-26-2022 05:22 PM

Another Miami LifeWallet NIL signing.

https://twitter.com/johnhruiz/status/1519074687124480000?s=21&t=EpBeEqZiedBZHDLV71OErQ