CSNbbs
After the new IPF - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: After the new IPF (/thread-942476.html)

Pages: 1 2

After the new IPF - OKIcat - 02-17-2022 10:59 AM

Okay, knowing this new IPF is coming and jumping ahead to its completion in a few years, we all know athletic facilities are the P5 equivalent to an arms race that never ends.

Any ideas on what may be "next" for UC Athletics?

- Restoration/repurposing of the Armory-Fieldhouse?
- Relocation of tennis facilities to create a bigger gameday footprint for Nippert?
- Some "new" practice facility for men's and women's basketball?
- More club seats or boxes for Nippert in the north end zone or east pavilion?

It won't cost any of us a penny to speculate.

RE: After the new IPF - BearcatMan - 02-17-2022 11:02 AM

(02-17-2022 10:59 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  Okay, knowing this new IPF is coming and jumping ahead to its completion in a few years, we all know athletic facilities are the P5 equivalent to an arms race that never ends.

- Relocation of tennis facilities to create a bigger gameday footprint for Nippert?

My guess is your points #1 and #3 go hand in hand.

Doubt they move Tennis, because there really isn't a place to put it anymore.

Would imagine they find a way to "expand" Nippert with more high value ticket options should the current trajectory hold for a little while (my hope is they find a way to close out the corners a bit on the north endzone and rebuild Shank, but that's probably 5-10 years down the road with all of the other projects already going on.

RE: After the new IPF - rath v2.0 - 02-17-2022 11:07 AM

We dive into all of that, Skansa may need a full time on campus staff the next 5 years.

RE: After the new IPF - Bearcatbdub - 02-17-2022 12:21 PM

Anything they build they should put a parking garage underneath it.

RE: After the new IPF - natibeast2.0 - 02-17-2022 12:32 PM

In the Big 12 forums there is a facilities thread. I actually think all the game day sites are up to par if not better right now when comparing. Oklahoma State imo is far and away the best in all sports but it’s awesome most if not all of our sites are located in the heart of campus in Varsity Village.

I’m not too aware of all the current practice facilities so would think that will be main focus all sports with Nippert upgrades when feasible or necessary.

RE: After the new IPF - doss2 - 02-17-2022 01:07 PM

(02-17-2022 10:59 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  Okay, knowing this new IPF is coming and jumping ahead to its completion in a few years, we all know athletic facilities are the P5 equivalent to an arms race that never ends.

Restoration/repurposing of the Armory-Fieldhouse into what?
Relocation of tennis facilities to create a bigger gameday footprint for Nippert? Cannot the courts be used 6 days a year for gameday? If not can Coy Field be used to create tennis court?
Some "new" practice facility for men's and women's basketball? Cannot they practice in 5/3?
More club seats or boxes for Nippert in the north end zone or east pavilion? East is best.

RE: After the new IPF - Cataclysmo - 02-17-2022 01:15 PM

(02-17-2022 12:21 PM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  Anything they build they should put a parking garage underneath it.

They could dig a tunnel to the center of the earth and it wouldn't be enough parking to accommodate the situation in Clifton lol

RE: After the new IPF - geef - 02-17-2022 01:24 PM

Good discussion. I'd like to see us strengthen the non-revenue sports and maybe add one or two more that match Big 12-sponsored sports. Softball is big in the Big 12, but we just don't have the footprint for that. Ideally, I'd love to see Men's Soccer back on campus, and perhaps add Women's Gymnastics (a huge strength of the Big 12) or Rowing. Something like Rowing, in particular, can draw students who may not have otherwise considered UC, and can be added at a (relatively) low cost.

RE: After the new IPF - cpawstoney - 02-17-2022 01:42 PM

Was a plane ever funded for recruiting?

RE: After the new IPF - CliftonAve - 02-17-2022 04:52 PM

(02-17-2022 01:24 PM)geef Wrote:  Good discussion. I'd like to see us strengthen the non-revenue sports and maybe add one or two more that match Big 12-sponsored sports. Softball is big in the Big 12, but we just don't have the footprint for that. Ideally, I'd love to see Men's Soccer back on campus, and perhaps add Women's Gymnastics (a huge strength of the Big 12) or Rowing. Something like Rowing, in particular, can draw students who may not have otherwise considered UC, and can be added at a (relatively) low cost.

If we are going other sports, I'd like to add softball and wrestling. Those are both huge sports in the BXII. Softball actually gets a lot of air time on the ESPN channels, I bet they get more time than college baseball. This would help keep our brand front and center in between hoops and football. The biggest hurdle obviously is where to put a field.

Rowing.... ehh.. that's surprisingly an expensive sport for an athletic department. A typical D1 rowing program has 60 people on the roster. A lot of school's have only a women's crew team to offset the football schollys in order to be Title IX compliant.

RE: After the new IPF - natibeast2.0 - 02-17-2022 05:08 PM

(02-17-2022 01:42 PM)cpawstoney Wrote:  Was a plane ever funded for recruiting?

I believe that it was mentioned by Cunningham somewhere. I can't remember exactly when/where and haven't seen anything yet if it's been determined how they will proceed with that commitment.

RE: After the new IPF - geef - 02-17-2022 05:20 PM

(02-17-2022 04:52 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(02-17-2022 01:24 PM)geef Wrote:  Good discussion. I'd like to see us strengthen the non-revenue sports and maybe add one or two more that match Big 12-sponsored sports. Softball is big in the Big 12, but we just don't have the footprint for that. Ideally, I'd love to see Men's Soccer back on campus, and perhaps add Women's Gymnastics (a huge strength of the Big 12) or Rowing. Something like Rowing, in particular, can draw students who may not have otherwise considered UC, and can be added at a (relatively) low cost.

If we are going other sports, I'd like to add softball and wrestling. Those are both huge sports in the BXII. Softball actually gets a lot of air time on the ESPN channels, I bet they get more time than college baseball. This would help keep our brand front and center in between hoops and football. The biggest hurdle obviously is where to put a field.

Rowing.... ehh.. that's surprisingly an expensive sport for an athletic department. A typical D1 rowing program has 60 people on the roster. A lot of school's have only a women's crew team to offset the football schollys in order to be Title IX compliant.

I hear you on softball and wrestling. Wrestling certainly could happen, and perhaps as part of a refurbished Armory that hosts the wrestling and gymnastics teams, but I don't think softball ever will simply because of the lack of space on or near campus.

You actually supported part of my point about rowing above. Only a few of those 60 or so student-athletes are on scholarship and rowing tends to be a sport that attracts a wealthier set. It could be part of a strategy to bring in more out of state students who can pay full tuition. And, I'd love to see UC-branded boats gliding along the Ohio........

RE: After the new IPF - rath v2.0 - 02-17-2022 05:22 PM

At one of his Breakfast with the AD events Cunningham said they are exploring adding softball.

RE: After the new IPF - Cat-Man - 02-17-2022 06:56 PM

A few people in this old discussion pretty adamant that Women's Softball isn't an option:

https://csnbbs.com/thread-929206.html

RE: After the new IPF - doss2 - 02-17-2022 08:25 PM

(02-17-2022 05:20 PM)geef Wrote:  

I hear you on softball and wrestling. Wrestling certainly could happen, and perhaps as part of a refurbished Armory that hosts the wrestling and gymnastics teams, but I don't think softball ever will simply because of the lack of space on or near campus.

You actually supported part of my point about rowing above. Only a few of those 60 or so student-athletes are on scholarship and rowing tends to be a sport that attracts a wealthier set. It could be part of a strategy to bring in more out of state students who can pay full tuition. And, I'd love to see UC-branded boats gliding along the Ohio........

Maybe Fick could coach wrestling

RE: After the new IPF - Captain Bearcat - 02-18-2022 12:21 AM

(02-17-2022 06:56 PM)Cat-Man Wrote:  A few people in this old discussion pretty adamant that Women's Softball isn't an option:

https://csnbbs.com/thread-929206.html

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if UC added softball. I just don't see how they can afford it.

But then again, I'm not privy to the internal financial statements of the AD.

RE: After the new IPF - doss2 - 02-18-2022 07:07 AM

I do not get why some people continue to want to add sports that few will pay to see. We need certain sports to satisfy Title IX, I get that, and we have that satisfied.

RE: After the new IPF - Captain Bearcat - 02-18-2022 09:01 AM

(02-18-2022 07:07 AM)doss2 Wrote:  I do not get why some people continue to want to add sports that few will pay to see. We need certain sports to satisfy Title IX, I get that, and we have that satisfied.

My wife will go with me to a college softball game. She will not go with me to a college football game.

That's why I'd like to see it. But I fully realize that I'm probably in the extreme minority.

RE: After the new IPF - CliftonAve - 02-18-2022 09:10 AM

(02-18-2022 09:01 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(02-18-2022 07:07 AM)doss2 Wrote:  I do not get why some people continue to want to add sports that few will pay to see. We need certain sports to satisfy Title IX, I get that, and we have that satisfied.

My wife will go with me to a college softball game. She will not go with me to a college football game.

That's why I'd like to see it. But I fully realize that I'm probably in the extreme minority.

I think softball would quickly develop a following. There’s a pretty vibrant softball community in the Tri-State. Dare I say it might actually eventually draw as well or better than our baseball team. I can see a lot suburban familirs. taking their daughters to the game.

RE: After the new IPF - BearcatMan - 02-18-2022 09:25 AM

Softball ain't happening...just stop with it. Can't afford the new stadium, no land to build it (as evidenced by the fact that they couldn't find land outside the footprint for the IPF), and minimal interest means no ROI.