CSNbbs
Towson - GAME 24 - CAA GAME 15 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: Towson - GAME 24 - CAA GAME 15 (/thread-942286.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Towson - GAME 24 - CAA GAME 15 - solohawks - 02-14-2022 06:05 PM

Quote:THU 02/17
Towson Tigers 6PM

CURRENT D1 RECORD: 16-7
CURRENT NET RANKING: 189

CURRENT CAA CONFERENCE NET RANKING - 14
CURRENT PLACE IN CAA STANDINGS - 1st, 12-2
CURRENT CAA TOURNAMENT SEED - 1

TV
CBS SPORTS NETWORK
Spectrum - Channel 315
DirecTV - Channel 221
Dish - Channel 158

AUDIO FEED
95.9 FM The Breeze & WKXB 99.9 FM HD2
https://v7player.wostreaming.net/6995

OPPONENT INFO
https://towsontigers.com/sports/mens-basketball

OPPONENT MESSAGE BOARD
http://www.towsonfans.com/index.php?/forum/3-tiger-basketball/

OPPONENT PRESEASON CONFERENCE PREDICTION
8 out of 10

OPPONENT CURRENT D1 RECORD
19-7

OPPONENT CURRENT CAA RECORD
2nd, 10-3

OPPONENT NET RANKING

OPPONENTS AUDIO FEED
https://portal.stretchinternet.com/towson/portal.htm?eventId=682528&streamType=audio

LIVE STATS
http://UNCWstats.com

Put up or shut up time

No more jacking up 3s our lackluster starts.

If we wanna reclaim or status as the top of the CAA, we have to show up Thursday night

RE: Towson - GAME 24 - CAA GAME 15 - Seahawk Nation 08 - 02-14-2022 06:41 PM

Even though we're 1.5 games up on Towson and beat them on the road, Towson is the better team right now, and probably the team I think has the best chance to win the CAA Tournament.

But all the same, we're at home, and the regular season title is in sights. Let's finish the deal and all but clinch the # 1 seed. Because if we leave the door open for Towson by losing this one, they're going to seize it from us.

RE: Towson - GAME 24 - CAA GAME 15 - UNCWin - 02-14-2022 07:39 PM

Why was the game moved from 7 to 6?

RE: Towson - GAME 24 - CAA GAME 15 - Proff - 02-14-2022 07:46 PM

(02-14-2022 07:39 PM)UNCWin Wrote:  Why was the game moved from 7 to 6?
So it could be broadcast nationally on CBSSportsnet.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

RE: Towson - GAME 24 - CAA GAME 15 - Seahawkhoops - 02-14-2022 08:33 PM

(02-14-2022 07:46 PM)Proff Wrote:  
(02-14-2022 07:39 PM)UNCWin Wrote:  Why was the game moved from 7 to 6?
So it could be broadcast nationally on CBSSportsnet.

Yes, it was moved to accommodate the CBS schedule

RE: Towson - GAME 24 - CAA GAME 15 - billthebighawksfan - 02-14-2022 09:37 PM

We need to come out focused and be willing to guard and board. They will look to exploit Holden isolation so don’t discount Fornes. He held his ground pretty well against him up there better than many due to being a little bigger than some. Going to be a tough game for each team. I wouldn’t mind seeing Hawks playing big at times too but that likely won’t happen very much .

RE: Towson - GAME 24 - CAA GAME 15 - 82hawk - 02-15-2022 09:09 AM

At Towson, we took 21 three point attempts of 68 total shots and we outrebouned Towson 42-40. We had only seven TO's for the game to their 13.

Pt's off TO's - UNCW 14 Towson 3
2nd chance pts - UNCW 22 Towson 13
Pts in paint - UNCW 38 Towson 44

Ft's - UNCW 19-26 Towson 10-14

The Towson game was the epitome of our "improved" offense where we were driving to the basket intentionally and didn't fall into the trap of jacking three's and jumpers "because they were open". No reason we shouldn't do it again. Whether the opponent packs the lane or not, we need to force the issue, get them in foul trouble, and get to the FT line where we can close it out in the end. It's a formula that works and we already know the formula that doesn't work.

Here is my prediction.

UNCW shoots 30% or less of their FG attempts from three, we win.
UNCW shoots 30%+ of our FG attempts from three, we lose.

Does the good UNCW offense show up or do we lapse into the bad UNCW offense? That will determine the outcome. During the winning streak I was predicting wins because I was confident we knew what to do on offense, and we did it game after game without fail. I don't have that same confidence now based on reverting to our "bad" offense these last few games.

We had across the board scoring and rebounded from every position well. Sims was 2-13 from the field, but he was 11-12 for the FT line. Only four of his thirteen FG attempts were from three.

Phillps, Sims, Okauru, White, Baker started

Phillps 18
Sims 15
Fornes 13
Harvey 12
Baker 10
Okauru 9

Towson - GAME 24 - CAA GAME 15 - B_Hawk06 - 02-15-2022 09:20 AM

My concern is the trends. We’ve trended to turning teams over less in the last several games and shooting too many threes in the same span.

I believe we would’ve won the @Hofstra game when we were down 4 with a couple minutes left. Instead we took several threes in a row and shot ourselves out of that win. We play a lot of close games, maybe more than any team in the conference. We have the playmakers and defense to beat teams by 10-20 points depending on the opponent. Just have to play our game and limit the urge to shoot too many threes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RE: Towson - GAME 24 - CAA GAME 15 - 82hawk - 02-15-2022 09:32 AM

(02-15-2022 09:20 AM)B_Hawk06 Wrote:  My concern is the trends. We’ve trended to turning teams over less in the last several games and shooting too many threes in the same span.

I believe we would’ve won the @Hofstra game when we were down 4 with a couple minutes left. Instead we took several threes in a row and shot ourselves out of that win. We play a lot of close games, maybe more than any team in the conference. We have the playmakers and defense to beat teams by 10-20 points depending on the opponent. Just have to play our game and limit the urge to shoot too many threes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

An offense built on a plan is better than an offense based on the players "feelings". Applies to all aspects of life.

RE: Towson - GAME 24 - CAA GAME 15 - billthebighawksfan - 02-15-2022 09:58 AM

It’s important to realize that teams adjust defensively to what you do. It’s coaching 101. Expect Towson to do everything in their power to stop paint touches and they are extremely physical . If that’s the case, mixing in inside out, rhythm 3 balls is fine if it’s tough sledding. Yes, look to drive first but an open 3 is not a bad plan B at times.

Y’all may think I’m nuts but mixing up in Baker and Kelly together could be interesting in a game like this. Not the whole game, but give it a look in the first 10 minutes and figure it out from there. See how we look early with normal lineup first.

RE: Towson - GAME 24 - CAA GAME 15 - Seahawkhoops - 02-15-2022 10:05 AM

(02-15-2022 09:58 AM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  It’s important to realize that teams adjust defensively to what you do. It’s coaching 101. Expect Towson to do everything in their power to stop paint touches and they are extremely physical . If that’s the case, mixing in inside out, rhythm 3 balls is fine if it’s tough sledding. Yes, look to drive first but an open 3 is not a bad plan B at times.

Y’all may think I’m nuts but mixing up in Baker and Kelly together could be interesting in a game like this. Not the whole game, but give it a look in the first 10 minutes and figure it out from there. See how we look early with normal lineup first.
Bill, i don't think taking threes is bad if there is nothing else available. The point of many here is taking them early and often in the shot clock. We can't settle.

RE: Towson - GAME 24 - CAA GAME 15 - billthebighawksfan - 02-15-2022 10:42 AM

Agree Hoops.

RE: Towson - GAME 24 - CAA GAME 15 - Seahawk Nation 08 - 02-15-2022 11:43 AM

(02-15-2022 09:58 AM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  It’s important to realize that teams adjust defensively to what you do.

This is the kind of hard-hitting analysis I come here for. I never knew that opposing coaches make adjustments until today.

[Image: the-more-you-know.gif]

RE: Towson - GAME 24 - CAA GAME 15 - Seahawkhoops - 02-15-2022 11:45 AM

https://seahawkperch.substack.com/p/phillips-uncw-escape-vs-tribe?r=3fslw&fbclid=IwAR0YPtfBhzVb8U3O1bsS0J0eVoSk3csGhD3uEOKNPkFMFKMiEan84GFCoVw

Scroll down to bottom of the well written article by Brant, it's pretty much the same stuff we have been talking about in regards to the offense.

RE: Towson - GAME 24 - CAA GAME 15 - solohawks - 02-15-2022 12:12 PM

(02-15-2022 09:58 AM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  It’s important to realize that teams adjust defensively to what you do. It’s coaching 101. Expect Towson to do everything in their power to stop paint touches and they are extremely physical . If that’s the case, mixing in inside out, rhythm 3 balls is fine if it’s tough sledding. Yes, look to drive first but an open 3 is not a bad plan B at times.

100%

That's why this 2nd half is so much harder, teams are adjusting and better preparing to play us.

We need to be able to drive and limit our 3s to the really good opportunities that we create

RE: Towson - GAME 24 - CAA GAME 15 - 82hawk - 02-15-2022 01:06 PM

It's always interesting when I hear that teams are "adjusting" to stop what we are doing, when what we are doing will produce results one way or the other. If they want to pack the paint, drive and draw fouls. They'll either stop fouling or we'll get to the FT line which is our bread and butter. I don't mind if a lot of our points are at the FT line.

And what worked REALLY well was driving and dumping the ball off to Baker, White and Kelly. They have improved tremendously finishing in the paint.

What we DON'T need to do is revert to being a team that takes 40%+ of our shots from three. We may get lucky and get hot a few times, but there are several teams in the CAA that use that strategy and they are not good. That is not a strategy that is going to bring the regular season title home against the top half of the conference.

RE: Towson - GAME 24 - CAA GAME 15 - solohawks - 02-15-2022 02:45 PM

Here's a fun stat as we face the highest ranked team in the CAA

RE: Towson - GAME 24 - CAA GAME 15 - solohawks - 02-15-2022 09:20 PM

Pumped for this game. Biggest game we have had in Trask in a long time.

Towson - GAME 24 - CAA GAME 15 - Proff - 02-16-2022 09:47 AM

ESPN gives us a 25.2% chance of winning.

RE: Towson - GAME 24 - CAA GAME 15 - Seahawkhoops - 02-16-2022 09:57 AM

(02-16-2022 09:47 AM)Proff Wrote:  ESPN gives us a 25.2% chance of winning.

Back to being the underdog, we play better that way!