CSNbbs
New York Times - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Western Michigan (/forum-469.html)
+----- Thread: New York Times (/thread-941889.html)

New York Times - Cucumber Salad - 02-09-2022 08:36 AM

https://messaging-custom-newsletters.nytimes.com/template/oakv2?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20220209&instance_id=52576&nl=the-morning&productCode=NN®i_id=174045050&segment_id=82087&te=1&uri=nyt%3A%2F%2Fnewsletter%2Fe1e11565-5bb8-5275-b435-4dbec638975a&user_id=04b88009de58894ab8e7a0f49843c5f6

Remove the US as a deterrent how would any one else remaining be able to protect themselves against these two? Be it economically, politically or militarily?

They share common goals in Ukraine and Taiwan being a physical example and consequence. But deeply rooted and widely (geographic) conflicting tensions have, do and will exist. So let to run it’s course there will be only one survivor. Anything or anyone caught in between simply a necessary casualty.

That would includes current proxies like Vietnam, N. Korea, Venezuela and the like. They’re simply being used. Convenient idiots.

Who or what other the United States can offer a clear and effective alternative?

Well not if the US is simply a “progressive” Mini Me or a Pimp for major global corporations.

How does America return to being exceptional? A force that would provide a clear alternative?

RE: New York Times - broncofan1 - 02-09-2022 08:56 AM

The military industrial complex will always find a way to justify America's involvement. When we have pass-through legislation that funds the Military at $750+ Billion annually, they will need to justify the expense.

Far too many entities exist as part of - or auxiliary to - our federal government that are militarily driven. Step one: audit the Pentagon.

Will it ever happen? Not in my lifetime.

RE: New York Times - Cucumber Salad - 02-09-2022 09:00 AM

(02-09-2022 08:56 AM)broncofan1 Wrote:  The military industrial complex will always find a way to justify America's involvement. When we have pass-through legislation that funds the Military at $750+ Billion annually, they will need to justify the expense.

Far too many entities exist as part of - or auxiliary to - our federal government that are militarily driven. Step one: audit the Pentagon.

Your point?

RE: New York Times - broncofan1 - 02-09-2022 09:14 AM

(02-09-2022 09:00 AM)Cucumber Salad Wrote:  
(02-09-2022 08:56 AM)broncofan1 Wrote:  The military industrial complex will always find a way to justify America's involvement. When we have pass-through legislation that funds the Military at $750+ Billion annually, they will need to justify the expense.

Your point?

Letting it "run it's course" is not and will never be an option.

RE: New York Times - Cucumber Salad - 02-09-2022 11:40 AM

(02-09-2022 09:14 AM)broncofan1 Wrote:  
(02-09-2022 09:00 AM)Cucumber Salad Wrote:  

Your point?

Letting it "run it's course" is not and will never be an option.

How does your comment regarding the military industrial complex tie into the article and the questions I raised. Not disagreeing with your points I’m just not clear.

RE: New York Times - wmubroncopilot - 02-09-2022 01:56 PM

Curious how you define America being "exceptional". My interest is in America providing the best standard of living possible for its own citizens, not in exceptionally projecting power militarily across the globe

RE: New York Times - ElFanatico - 02-09-2022 02:18 PM

(02-09-2022 01:56 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  My interest is in America providing the best standard of living possible for its own citizens, not in exceptionally projecting power militarily across the globe

It'd be amazing if our country was concerned about that. But that's not how our system works. Transferring wealth from people to corporations to a much smaller group of people is all we've got. That's true whether you're looking at transferring tax revenue through to the Raytheons and Northrup Grummans of the world, to taking individuals money and enriching insurance companies, hospital groups, medical equipment and pharmaceutical manufacturers.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/life-expectancy-vs-health-expenditure

RE: New York Times - wmubroncopilot - 02-09-2022 02:33 PM

Oh no question about it.

RE: New York Times - Cucumber Salad - 02-09-2022 04:50 PM

(02-09-2022 02:18 PM)ElFanatico Wrote:  
(02-09-2022 01:56 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  My interest is in America providing the best standard of living possible for its own citizens, not in exceptionally projecting power militarily across the globe

It'd be amazing if our country was concerned about that. But that's not how our system works. Transferring wealth from people to corporations to a much smaller group of people is all we've got. That's true whether you're looking at transferring tax revenue through to the Raytheons and Northrup Grummans of the world, to taking individuals money and enriching insurance companies, hospital groups, medical equipment and pharmaceutical manufacturers.

I’m curious, what do you and your spouse do for a living?

RE: New York Times - SilentStryk09 - 02-10-2022 10:19 PM

(02-09-2022 04:50 PM)Cucumber Salad Wrote:  

Literally has NOTHING to do with his statement. Everything he said is 100% true and is easily provable by looking at the last 50+ years of american history. either refute his argument on its merits or stop. Nobody cares about your bait wars.

RE: New York Times - WesternDave - 02-11-2022 01:12 AM

(02-10-2022 10:19 PM)SilentStryk09 Wrote:  

Literally has NOTHING to do with his statement. Everything he said is 100% true and is easily provable by looking at the last 50+ years of american history. either refute his argument on its merits or stop. Nobody cares about your bait wars.

That is literally all he does in these threads. At least he didn't ask how many kids or grandchildren they have. He isn't here to have a real discussion in good faith.

RE: New York Times - ColinApocalypse - 02-13-2022 10:59 AM

Don't ask people personal questions on this board. If you want, you can ask in PM. But individuals have no obligation to divulge any personal information publicly or privately.

RE: New York Times - holybovine - 02-13-2022 04:31 PM

(02-10-2022 10:19 PM)SilentStryk09 Wrote:  

Spot on.

He has nothing, and cannot refute the point.

When truth fails you, misdirection is all that is left.

RE: New York Times - Boca Rocket - 02-16-2022 05:08 AM

Life expectancy in the US is about 5 yrs longer than the World on average. Many expensive procedures/hospitalizations late in life buy little extra time- diminishing returns.