CSNbbs
I’m glad Bates had a good game. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: I’m glad Bates had a good game. (/thread-939846.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

I’m glad Bates had a good game. - Briskbas - 01-09-2022 05:37 PM

He needed that

RE: I’m glad Bates had a good game. - mempho_to_diego - 01-09-2022 05:38 PM

Indeed he did, and made some hustle plays. The one where he dove to the ground that led to that 3 by Q ...
And, the one where he got the offensive rebound, the foul call and made 2 freebies.

Both steady, high-IQ plays.

RE: I’m glad Bates had a good game. - MemTiger90 - 01-09-2022 05:40 PM

What was always hurting Bates was Lomax dribbling around for 25 seconds, then giving Bates the ball in an impossible situation

RE: I’m glad Bates had a good game. - mempho_to_diego - 01-09-2022 05:42 PM

(01-09-2022 05:40 PM)MemTiger90 Wrote:  What was always hurting Bates was Lomax dribbling around for 25 seconds, then giving Bates the ball in an impossible situation

Alo reminds me of my high school friend that did the same thing - dribbling the ball forever, pointing his finger to tell teammates where to go and then driving in the lane, do nothing, put a teammate in an impossible situation (as you mentioned), or just turn the ball over. Rarely did it lead to a bucket. 03-banghead

RE: I’m glad Bates had a good game. - cscottl1981 - 01-09-2022 05:55 PM

He looked like a basketball player today. Didn’t try to be a hero too much, did some dirty work and made some shots. Well done.

RE: I’m glad Bates had a good game. - criticallyill - 01-09-2022 05:55 PM

Bates played great today. He had a different look in his eyes. Loved it. And he was hanging tough with that Cincinnati player on the floor.

RE: I’m glad Bates had a good game. - memtigbb - 01-09-2022 05:57 PM

You have to allow a player like Bates develop. Unfortunately there are going to be some bumps along the way. If we want to be the team we need to be, Bates is going to need playing time and learn from mistakes.

RE: I’m glad Bates had a good game. - Mimi - 01-09-2022 06:29 PM

Was the definition of letting the game come to him

Had a momentary lapse with a reckless drive late but all players make small errors

He was really good today

RE: I’m glad Bates had a good game. - TigerBlue4Ever - 01-09-2022 06:34 PM

He played within himself today, far fewer wide looping 360 spin moves where he gets stripped every time.

RE: I’m glad Bates had a good game. - tigerderek - 01-09-2022 06:37 PM

Yes!!! This is the bates that we need.

RE: I’m glad Bates had a good game. - ericsrevenge76 - 01-09-2022 07:00 PM

(01-09-2022 05:57 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  You have to allow a player like Bates develop. Unfortunately there are going to be some bumps along the way. If we want to be the team we need to be, Bates is going to need playing time and learn from mistakes.

Absolutely

People here were too quick to bury him. He is a freshman finding his way, fans need to allow him the time to do that. He knew he was struggling, we all did. But he's a freshman and a 17 year old freshman at that. They often grow a lot during the season and look like different players in late Feb and March.

Bates can be a real difference maker in the NCAA tourney.

RE: I’m glad Bates had a good game. - holyterror - 01-09-2022 07:09 PM

Idk what happened while he was out for a few games but he came back looking more experienced and more patient.

RE: I’m glad Bates had a good game. - Eagleonpar - 01-09-2022 07:14 PM

6 assists 7 rebounds and 0 turnovers

RE: I’m glad Bates had a good game. - snowtiger - 01-09-2022 07:39 PM

He's glad too. he had fun and felt like his old self...
check out what he says in the aftergame interview.

I was happy happy happy to see his first three rattle home and hear the cheer go up from the forum

RE: I’m glad Bates had a good game. - SeñorTiger - 01-09-2022 08:18 PM

I think missing those three games was really good for him. It gave him a chance to just observe.

Kudos to him for staying engaged, focused and growing despite not being able to play.
Kudos to him to him for adjusting and developing coming back.

If he plays like this and keeps growing then we will be very dangerous come March.

RE: I’m glad Bates had a good game. - geosnooker2000 - 01-10-2022 10:51 AM

He's under no illusions anymore about the Memphis fans. Maybe this board... Post-game, he told Wolo (and in the TV presser) that he's only playing for his teammates now after everybody's been so rough on him.

RE: I’m glad Bates had a good game. - Browning Hall - 01-10-2022 10:57 AM

(01-10-2022 10:51 AM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  He's under no illusions anymore about the Memphis fans. Maybe this board... Post-game, he told Wolo (and in the TV presser) that he's only playing for his teammates now after everybody's been so rough on him.

With one small edit, this will serve him well in the pros.

RE: I’m glad Bates had a good game. - tigergreen - 01-10-2022 11:43 AM

I think Penny also deserves kudos for having the wherewithal to sit Bates in the last minute/minute & 1/2 of the game, and get an older player in there so there wasn't pressure on Bates to deliver a "game saving" moment.

RE: I’m glad Bates had a good game. - Keeper - 01-10-2022 06:24 PM

(01-10-2022 11:43 AM)tigergreen Wrote:  I think Penny also deserves kudos for having the wherewithal to sit Bates in the last minute/minute & 1/2 of the game, and get an older player in there so there wasn't pressure on Bates to deliver a "game saving" moment.

Bates played great in the game, but it is clear he is not yet ready to be in the closing line-up. When he gets there the team will be better for it. Let's hope he becomes good enough for that sooner than later. Probably sometime after he gains 15 or 20 lbs.

RE: I’m glad Bates had a good game. - 450bench - 01-10-2022 06:42 PM

He played within himself. Didn’t do anything he couldn’t do. Like Cal said many times “just do what you do well and don’t do what you don’t do well.”