CSNbbs
Alex Lomax Dad - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Alex Lomax Dad (/thread-939711.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Alex Lomax Dad - UMTiger02 - 01-07-2022 12:19 PM

Called Mark Gianatto and said He wanted to speak in behalf of his son. I don’t have a CA subscription, but according to Jason and John. The article basically says “He wishes his son would go somewhere else.”

RE: Alex Lomax Dad - macgar32 - 01-07-2022 12:20 PM

(01-07-2022 12:19 PM)UMTiger02 Wrote:  Called Mark Gianatto and said He wanted to speak in behalf of his son. I don’t have a CA subscription, but according to Jason and John. The article basically says “He wishes his son would go somewhere else.”

And I assume it is due to our great fanbase.

RE: Alex Lomax Dad - UMTiger02 - 01-07-2022 12:23 PM

Questioning the injury too..

RE: Alex Lomax Dad - Marc Mensa - 01-07-2022 12:26 PM

Didn’t Penny basically raise Alex?

RE: Alex Lomax Dad - danny1 - 01-07-2022 12:27 PM

(01-07-2022 12:20 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(01-07-2022 12:19 PM)UMTiger02 Wrote:  Called Mark Gianatto and said He wanted to speak in behalf of his son. I don’t have a CA subscription, but according to Jason and John. The article basically says “He wishes his son would go somewhere else.”

Wouldn’t blame him at all. There are a lot of posters who have made cruel remarks about this young man. And, yes, there is a difference between discussing a basketball game and hurling personal insults at one of our players.

RE: Alex Lomax Dad - cscottl1981 - 01-07-2022 12:27 PM

So does he have a season left b/c of COVID, I’m guessing?

RE: Alex Lomax Dad - MtownTigers916 - 01-07-2022 12:30 PM

I feel for Lomax. Don't direct criticism at student-athletes-- direct it at their coaches (they get paid to take heat).

Alo has unfortunately become a punching bag/scapegoat for fans and media, and I think it's a product of a few things.

The first is that we have fans that will bend over backwards to criticize anyone but their beloved coach. This is unfortunately leading players to be thrown under the bus by fans and the media (and is encouraged by our own coach throwing players under the bus).

The second is sort of the unhealthy conceptualization of student-athletes at Memphis. Our players are college students, but our fans treat them like professional athletes.

I've never seen student-athletes treated the way they are by the community except at a few SEC football schools. They are discussed at-length by local sports media. A majority of our fans have no tie to Memphis (or to higher education). Again, it's sort of like SEC football.

I've been around enough colleges and universities that I've seen a spectrum of views on student athletes. Some schools are really strict about character and academic requirements. The focus at Memphis (at least for the last two decades) has just been to win.

It's an odd dynamic.

RE: Alex Lomax Dad - Marc Mensa - 01-07-2022 12:31 PM

(01-07-2022 12:27 PM)danny1 Wrote:  

Wouldn’t blame him at all. There are a lot of posters who have made cruel remarks about this young man. And, yes, there is a difference between discussing a basketball game and hurling personal insults at one of our players.

What kind of personal insults? I haven’t seen any, but I don’t read every post either.

RE: Alex Lomax Dad - shere khan - 01-07-2022 12:32 PM

(01-07-2022 12:30 PM)MtownTigers916 Wrote:  I feel for Lomax. Don't direct criticism at student-athletes-- direct it at their coaches (they get paid to take heat).

Alo has unfortunately become a punching bag/scapegoat for fans and media, and I think it's a product of a few things.

The first is that we have fans that will bend over backwards to criticize anyone but their beloved coach. This is unfortunately leading players to be thrown under the bus by fans and the media (and is encouraged by our own coach throwing players under the bus).

The second is sort of the unhealthy conceptualization of student-athletes at Memphis. Our players are college students, but our fans treat them like professional athletes.

I've never seen student-athletes treated the way they are by the community except at a few SEC football schools. They are discussed at-length by local sports media. A majority of our fans have no tie to Memphis (or to higher education). Again, it's sort of like SEC football.

I've been around enough colleges and universities that I've seen a spectrum of views on student athletes. Some schools are really strict about character and academic requirements. The focus at Memphis (at least for the last two decades) has just been to win.

It's an odd dynamic.

They get paid

RE: Alex Lomax Dad - danny1 - 01-07-2022 12:36 PM

(01-07-2022 12:31 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  
(01-07-2022 12:27 PM)danny1 Wrote:  

What kind of personal insults? I haven’t seen any, but I don’t read every post either.

Just go back and read some of the comments made about him during some of the games. Not hard to find cruel and demeaning comments.

RE: Alex Lomax Dad - macgar32 - 01-07-2022 12:37 PM

(01-07-2022 12:30 PM)MtownTigers916 Wrote:  I feel for Lomax. Don't direct criticism at student-athletes-- direct it at their coaches (they get paid to take heat).

It's an odd dynamic.

Lomax is who he is...Why people would blame him for everything is beyond me.

Granted his game should have been more complete by now...I put that on the coaches and Lomax. I just cannot believe that Lomax could not add more offense to his game in the 4 years he has been here. But many other guys who came in with or right after Lomax haven't improved much either.

I question the environment that has been established in the program as far as the expectations of offseason work. I remember Cal used to track when guys were in the gym and when they left...Hence the reason Sallie got so much crap for not putting in the work. Cal tried to paly Sallie as little as possible...

RE: Alex Lomax Dad - geosnooker2000 - 01-07-2022 12:42 PM

Did he really say "in behalf"???

[Image: face-palm-cant-believe.gif]

RE: Alex Lomax Dad - UMTiger02 - 01-07-2022 12:49 PM

(01-07-2022 12:42 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  

Probably. Grammar Police.

RE: Alex Lomax Dad - k2tigers - 01-07-2022 12:51 PM

(01-07-2022 12:42 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  

strange that you would post that

RE: Alex Lomax Dad - MemphisFan95 - 01-07-2022 01:07 PM

(01-07-2022 12:32 PM)shere khan Wrote:  

It's an odd dynamic.

They get paid

exactly the whole don't get paid argument can be put to rest... and its legal now

RE: Alex Lomax Dad - micman - 01-07-2022 01:20 PM

Alo's impact on this season's games have been more positive than Emoni Bates' impact.

RE: Alex Lomax Dad - MemphisFan95 - 01-07-2022 01:23 PM

(01-07-2022 01:20 PM)micman Wrote:  Alo's impact on this season's games have been more positive than Emoni Bates' impact.

I would hope a senior guard would have a more positive impact than a kid that should still be in high school but who has contributed more is debatable

RE: Alex Lomax Dad - bbqtiger - 01-07-2022 01:23 PM

Alo seems to be a good guy, and prolly should not be maligned as much as he is. Having said that, he is not a great PG. And since the one thing this team needs is a superior PG, that stands out.

As for his father's comment about him wanting him to leave the program, my sense is a father frustrated by all the negative comments from fans and media in our area. IMO, Memphis is unique in the way our Tigers get so much local attention, and that is overall a very good thing. But sometimes it puts real pressure on the players and their families, as in this case. Thus, you will rarely see me knock one of own.

Go, Alo, Go. GTG

RE: Alex Lomax Dad - memtigbb - 01-07-2022 01:26 PM

(01-07-2022 01:20 PM)micman Wrote:  Alo's impact on this season's games have been more positive than Emoni Bates' impact.

Yet one is a 17 year old freshman who should be a junior in high school and the other is a 4 year senior who has been a starter most of his college career.

One with a ceiling that could be an NBA all-star, the other with a ceiling that ended in high school.

The comparison is just stupid in every possible way.

RE: Alex Lomax Dad - EarthBoundMisfit - 01-07-2022 01:31 PM

kids who play for Memphis, or want to play for Memphis...need to realize that the PG position at Memphis is akin to being the QB for the Dallas Cowboys (on a city-wide scale that is).
They're going to be scrutinized...if they play well...everyone in Memphis loves you and you are a rockstar. Play poorly...and you might as well be booking your next plane ticket to Siberia.