CSNbbs
2021-22 Women's Basketball thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: 2021-22 Women's Basketball thread (/thread-939669.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

2021-22 Women's Basketball thread - Seahawk Nation 08 - 01-06-2022 09:24 PM

I didn't realize until now that I forgot to start a WBB thread this season. My bad, lol.

Since there's no men's action to talk about at the moment, I figured it was better late than never now that the CAA slate has started for the women's team.

The Lady Hawks lost @ Northeastern in their CAA opener last night, 77-67. Overall they are 3-8, with one of those wins coming against non-DI Mount Olive. The other 2 victories came against Winthrop (1-8 vs D-I) and UNCG (3-9). Their RPI sits at # 296 and their NET is # 328, lowest in the conference in both ranking systems.

Next up is a Sunday afternoon home tilt with Drexel (8-2, # 92 NET, # 144 RPI), likely one of the top 2-3 teams in the league, at 1 PM.

Offensively, the Hawks have have difficulties finding any consistent scoring outside of their top 3 options. 5-9 grad student shooting guard Sierra DaCosta leads the team in scoring (12.6 ppg). The volume scorer, who comes to UNCW from ECU, has taken a whopping 139 shots from the field, including 62 threes, in 11 games this season. No other offensive player on the team has attempted more than 89 shots. Unfortunately, all that volume has not included much efficiency, as she's shooting just .309 from the field and .290 from the perimeter.

5-11 senior and Xavier transfer Carrie Gross, fortunately, has been an efficient scorer for the Hawks. The small forward is shooting .472 (42-89) from the field and is also .929 (26-28) from the free throw line. She's also 3-7 from three. Perhaps her usage should go up a tick, which would boost her 10.3 scoring average. Rounding out the trio of top scorers is 6-0 redshirt senior forward Micah Hoggatt (8.5 ppg). She's also pulling down a team-best 6.2 rebounds per contest. Hoggatt played her best game of the season @ NU last night, with 20 points (7-12 shooting), 12 rebounds and a blocked shot, which kept the Seahawks in the game with a superior Huskies squad.

The most intriguing talent on the team outside of this trio is 5-8 grad student Allie Best. An arrival from Marist, the combo guard finished her career with the Red Foxes ranking 9th all-time in assists while also ranking 11th all-time in three-point shooting % (.346). Best began the season coming off the bench, yielding starting PG duties to sophomore Mary McMillan (4.3 ppg, 1.8 apg), but in the last 4 games, the job has shifted to Best. The results have been slow to develop, as Best has only recorded 11 assists in the 4 contests despite exceeding 30 minutes per game in each of them. However, she has at least seen her scoring improve. Best recorded a season-best 11 points last night against the Huskies, shooting 3-6 from 3 in the process. She's also been a pest on defense for opponents all season; she's recorded 2 or more steals in 6 games this season, including 5 swipes against ECU on December 22nd.

RE: 2021-22 Women's Basketball thread - billthebighawksfan - 01-06-2022 09:49 PM

I thought that Jayde Gamble (freshman) also gave the Hawks a real lift in a losing effort there at the end . She has some game and was also one of the bright spots too. Hopefully they can put it together soon, there are some pieces.

2021-22 Women's Basketball thread - B_Hawk06 - 01-06-2022 10:25 PM

Speaking of women’s basketball. Has anyone in the Wilmington area paid attention to the coaching career of former Seahawk standout Lori Drake?

She led CFCC to a top 10 national ranking, spent a year as an assistant at High Point and then returned to CFCC. It appears she’s currently on a medical leave of absence, but sounds like she’s one helluva coach. She was the first ever womens coach at CFCC, built their program from scratch into a national powerhouse at that level. That’s impressive in and of itself.

Should we move on from Barefoot at any point, given the current state of Seahawk WBB, she should at least get an interview, if she’s still medically able to coach.

Here’s to hoping she gets healthy with whatever has had her away from CFCC, and one day returns to the bench at Trask!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RE: 2021-22 Women's Basketball thread - billthebighawksfan - 01-09-2022 08:41 PM

Heartbroken after that game! Sierra dominated the 4th period only to have them tie the game at the buzzer! She went off and put on a show. Euro step finishing both freaking ways and getting her own off the dribble. Wow! That should have been a victory.

RE: 2021-22 Women's Basketball thread - dan10 - 01-10-2022 10:10 AM

Agreed. We got lucky in this one. 20 in a row against you now.

RE: 2021-22 Women's Basketball thread - billthebighawksfan - 01-10-2022 01:07 PM

Your PG played well and your center was very good too. Watson cans on late and was clutch. Dragons gave a nice team for sure. I like the way they run their offense.

RE: 2021-22 Women's Basketball thread - dan10 - 01-10-2022 02:17 PM

We have some pieces, but are pretty limited on where we can score from. We still run mostly strong sets that get someone open (that Denise implemented). We use a much shallower bench than in the past, which is a concern to most of us. We continue to be a strong team, albeit not spectacular. Beat teams we should, struggle against taller more physical teams. Our only real challenge this season was the neutral game against Nebraska. We actually played well and had chances to pull out a win, Nebraska really stepped up late and showed how to finish off a game. That Nebraska team is looking better and better each week now, which give us a bunch of hope of how good we can be.

RE: 2021-22 Women's Basketball thread - SEA33HAWK - 01-10-2022 02:30 PM

(01-10-2022 02:17 PM)dan10 Wrote:  We have some pieces, but are pretty limited on where we can score from. We still run mostly strong sets that get someone open (that Denise implemented). We use a much shallower bench than in the past, which is a concern to most of us. We continue to be a strong team, albeit not spectacular. Beat teams we should, struggle against taller more physical teams. Our only real challenge this season was the neutral game against Nebraska. We actually played well and had chances to pull out a win, Nebraska really stepped up late and showed how to finish off a game. That Nebraska team is looking better and better each week now, which give us a bunch of hope of how good we can be.

Your center is one of the better bigs I've seen in awhile. A problem I noticed was when your little number 12 sits, the team doesn't play as well. She seems to be the glue.

RE: 2021-22 Women's Basketball thread - billthebighawksfan - 01-10-2022 02:54 PM

Yep 33, their center flat out got it done and the pg did a great job distributing the ball too. I like the way she would attack herself if given the chance as well.

RE: 2021-22 Women's Basketball thread - Seahawk Nation 08 - 01-10-2022 03:03 PM

(01-10-2022 02:30 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  Your center is one of the better bigs I've seen in awhile. A problem I noticed was when your little number 12 sits, the team doesn't play as well. She seems to be the glue.

Hannah Nyhill, yep. Feels like she's been there for 7 years. I think she has grown children by now.

She's a lot of fun to watch. She takes a beating out there because she's so small, yet keeps getting back up and fighting. Hoggatt set a pick on her at one point while she was being a pest on defense; seemed like she ran into a brick wall. And she always seems to be in the right place and making the optimal passes.

RE: 2021-22 Women's Basketball thread - billthebighawksfan - 01-10-2022 03:30 PM

This is their last year so no wonder. They both played tough and smart. Washington looked good out there too (please correct me if I’m wrong on her name). She may have 1 more year if she elects to due to the Covid year.

RE: 2021-22 Women's Basketball thread - Seahawkhoops - 01-10-2022 03:37 PM

(01-10-2022 03:03 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(01-10-2022 02:30 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  Your center is one of the better bigs I've seen in awhile. A problem I noticed was when your little number 12 sits, the team doesn't play as well. She seems to be the glue.

Hannah Nyhill, yep. Feels like she's been there for 7 years. I think she has grown children by now.
Is she by chance married to Jaylen Fornes 02-13-banana

RE: 2021-22 Women's Basketball thread - Seahawk Nation 08 - 01-10-2022 04:42 PM

(01-10-2022 03:37 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

Is she by chance married to Jaylen Fornes 02-13-banana

Bahaha. They're both gonna graduate this year and already be closing in on retirement!

2021-22 Women's Basketball thread - B_Hawk06 - 01-10-2022 06:25 PM

AARP benefits!!!

RE: 2021-22 Women's Basketball thread - dan10 - 01-11-2022 07:56 AM

She's a lot of fun to watch. She takes a beating out there because she's so small, yet keeps getting back up and fighting. Hoggatt set a pick on her at one point while she was being a pest on defense; seemed like she ran into a brick wall. And she always seems to be in the right place and making the optimal passes.

Nyhill has been a pest for far too long. I am quite sure the league will be happy to not have to see her next year. We were wondering what we were going to do without her, then covid gave her a bonus year. She actually switched to field hockey for our team for her graduate season of eligibility. Then covid allowed her to come back for basketball.

Brugler is new to us as a graduate transfer this season. I would argue she is the best big we have ever had. Though that is not saying much as we have rarely had many true centers. She was a double double machine at Bucknell for much of her career. Easily the best grad pick up we have made on the women's side.

As far as Washington, I believe that to be true, so who knows whether or not she will use her bonus year or not or who had bonus years any more. The whole thing is a mess, as everyone knows.

RE: 2021-22 Women's Basketball thread - billthebighawksfan - 01-21-2022 09:22 PM

Lost by 1 to JMU and didn’t score for the last 2.5 minutes I think. They need to get organized on offense. I would like to see something whether it’s a weave a weave, high ball screen going downhill with kick options or at least a reverse to a low post touch. If we can get the offense going, we should have a real shot against nearly everyone.

2021-22 Women's Basketball thread - B_Hawk06 - 01-22-2022 12:47 PM

(01-21-2022 09:22 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  If we can get the offense going, we should have a real shot against nearly everyone.

This is a joke, right?

2021-22 Women's Basketball thread - B_Hawk06 - 01-22-2022 12:47 PM

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: 2021-22 Women's Basketball thread - billthebighawksfan - 01-22-2022 01:17 PM

I think we have the players to compete but just are not clicking on offense. We need to revamp.

RE: 2021-22 Women's Basketball thread - billthebighawksfan - 01-23-2022 12:40 PM

Lady Tigers game at 1 pm.