CSNbbs
Band Mystery? Bad Timing! - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Band Mystery? Bad Timing! (/thread-939180.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Band Mystery? Bad Timing! - doss2 - 12-30-2021 11:33 PM

Dec. 30, 2021 at 7:55 AM
CINCINNATI (CINCINNATI ENQUIRER) - Two of the highest-ranking officials within the University of Cincinnati’s bands program were recently placed on leave for unknown reasons.

UC Bearcat Bands Head Director Christopher Nichter and Associated Director Nicholas Angelis were placed on temporary leave on Dec. 17, Dean of Students Juan Guardia wrote in a message to Bearcat Bands members on Dec. 21, according to our media partners at the Cincinnati Enquirer.

“This will not impact Bearcat Bands participation in the Cottonbowl (sic),” Guardia wrote. “I understand how important and invaluable this experience is for all of you and the time commitment and sacrifices you have put into our program.”

Guardia didn’t provide any details in his message as to why Nichter and Angelis were put on leave. The message also doesn’t state how long the two directors are expected to be gone.

The Enquirer was unable to reach Guardia Wednesday night. A university spokesperson has yet to respond to an email seeking comment.

The announcement came just weeks before the Bearcats face off against College Football Playoff’s No. 1 ranked Alabama in Friday afternoon’s Cotton Bowl.

According to his Linkedin page, Nichter is the 14th director of Bearcat Bands. He was hired on to the position in June 2017. Prior to his role at UC, Nichter was assistant director of bands at West Virginia University for 10 academic years.

Angelis has been with Bearcat Bands since 2005, according to the university’s website. He’s been involved in drum corps activity since 1979 and has taught marching bands and drum corps across the country.

I bet Dr. Terren L. Frenz will become interim director and quickly install some Glen Miller and Benny Goodman songs!

RE: Band Mystery? Bad Timing! - BearcatMan - 12-31-2021 12:02 AM

Tuba hasn't posted on here much anymore, but im sure he has some info.

RE: Band Mystery? Bad Timing! - rath v2.0 - 12-31-2021 09:29 AM

Coup by the old guard hardliners who want The Piano Man and You Can Call Me Al brought back.

RE: Band Mystery? Bad Timing! - doss2 - 12-31-2021 10:08 AM

(12-31-2021 09:29 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Coup by the old guard hardliners who want The Piano Man and You Can Call Me Al brought back.

Wearing a John Philip Sousa outfit!

RE: Band Mystery? Bad Timing! - rath v2.0 - 12-31-2021 10:21 AM

My wife saw the headline and said, "They probably hurt someone's feelings."

RE: Band Mystery? Bad Timing! - Bear Catlett - 12-31-2021 10:22 AM

I hope the team isn't so shook up about this that they can't hold it together to play the game.

RE: Band Mystery? Bad Timing! - CliftonAve - 12-31-2021 10:51 AM

(12-31-2021 10:21 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  My wife saw the headline and said, "They probably hurt someone's feelings."

Ever see the movie Whiplash?

https://youtu.be/xDAsABdkWSc

RE: Band Mystery? Bad Timing! - Edgebrookjeff - 01-04-2022 07:31 AM

Maybe someone got tired of hearing Jefferson Starship songs played every week at halftime.

RE: Band Mystery? Bad Timing! - Banter - 01-04-2022 07:56 AM

(12-31-2021 09:29 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Coup by the old guard hardliners who want The Piano Man and You Can Call Me Al brought back.

I really hate this slander against Paul Simon. Graceland will forever be his Magnum Opus.

RE: Band Mystery? Bad Timing! - deranma - 01-04-2022 07:57 AM

Former band member here, not much known by band alumni outside of what the public knows. I think I saw the same for current members as well. There has been speculation, but nothing concrete or worth putting out there.

RE: Band Mystery? Bad Timing! - OKIcat - 01-04-2022 08:44 AM

I have no idea either what is going on with the suspensions. Regarding the band though, there were very positive comments on one of the local TV stations about how UC's band outperformed 'Bama's during a battle of the bands pre-game event in Dallas last week.

While I won't suggest having a large, well drilled marching band is a prerequisite for P5 membership, it is to be expected for a major university competing at the highest level in athletics. The UC Band has made great strides in recent years and is an important part of the Nippert game day experience. Here's hoping the leadership issues are resolved quickly on this matter.

RE: Band Mystery? Bad Timing! - BearcatsUC - 01-04-2022 08:53 AM

(01-04-2022 08:44 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  I have no idea either what is going on with the suspensions. Regarding the band though, there were very positive comments on one of the local TV stations about how UC's band outperformed 'Bama's during a battle of the bands pre-game event in Dallas last week.

While I won't suggest having a large, well drilled marching band is a prerequisite for P5 membership, it is to be expected for a major university competing at the highest level in athletics. The UC Band has made great strides in recent years and is an important part of the Nippert game day experience. Here's hoping the leadership issues are resolved quickly on this matter.

With regards to The Battle of the Bands, Bama dialed it in, playing leftovers from the Macy’s parade in NYC. While I think UC needs more brass, they showed well in Dallas.

RE: Band Mystery? Bad Timing! - nachoman91 - 01-04-2022 08:54 AM

(01-04-2022 08:44 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  I have no idea either what is going on with the suspensions. Regarding the band though, there were very positive comments on one of the local TV stations about how UC's band outperformed 'Bama's during a battle of the bands pre-game event in Dallas last week.

I did not attend the battle of the bands event but at the game, Bama's band dwarfed UC's in terms of size, volume, and presentation. I do hope UC upgrades the band a little going in to the Big 12.

RE: Band Mystery? Bad Timing! - Cattidude - 01-04-2022 08:57 AM

(01-04-2022 08:54 AM)nachoman91 Wrote:  

I did not attend the battle of the bands event but at the game, Bama's band dwarfed UC's in terms of size, volume, and presentation. I do hope UC upgrades the band a little going in to the Big 12.

The band raised a fair amount of money during the last Giving Tuesday. Hopefully helps them with future expenses, expansion, or Big 12 needs

RE: Band Mystery? Bad Timing! - OKIcat - 01-04-2022 09:17 AM

(01-04-2022 08:57 AM)Cattidude Wrote:  

The band raised a fair amount of money during the last Giving Tuesday. Hopefully helps them with future expenses, expansion, or Big 12 needs

Bolded, glad to learn that. I was never in the band myself but I made a modest gift in their support on Giving Tuesday. I think there is power in large numbers of small gifts from band alumni, UC alumni, and fans to take the Bearcat Marching Band another step forward toward excellence. In 2023, UC will be on a bigger stage than ever before and the Band should be another point of pride for us.

RE: Band Mystery? Bad Timing! - Edgebrookjeff - 01-04-2022 10:30 AM

It's not easy to increase the numbers when it is largely an extra curricula activity. If you listen to the senior day presentations, virtually all of the member's have majors not associated with the music department. That's not true of many other universities where it may be a requirement if you're going into say a music education field.

RE: Band Mystery? Bad Timing! - QSECOFR - 01-04-2022 10:46 AM

(01-04-2022 10:30 AM)Edgebrookjeff Wrote:  It's not easy to increase the numbers when it is largely an extra curricula activity. If you listen to the senior day presentations, virtually all of the member's have majors not associated with the music department. That's not true of many other universities where it may be a requirement if you're going into say a music education field.

There is no rule saying that a CCM student can’t play in the marching band or the pep band. However, it is strongly discouraged. CCM musicians (depending on area of concentration) are expected to pick up as many real gigs as possible.

RE: Band Mystery? Bad Timing! - Bruce Monnin - 01-04-2022 11:09 AM

(01-04-2022 08:57 AM)Cattidude Wrote:  The band raised a fair amount of money during the last Giving Tuesday. Hopefully helps them with future expenses, expansion, or Big 12 needs

That would be nice. When my daughter was in the band, she brought her own sewing machine to campus so she could do the alterations on all the band members' uniforms. UC couldn't even provide the sewing machine and thread.

She also helped organize things for road trips, until she was driven to tears a few times. Finally left to finish her engineering degree/MBA.

RE: Band Mystery? Bad Timing! - BearcatsUC - 01-04-2022 11:29 AM

Yeah, there is plenty of room for improvement, but I think the band showed well for the game, also

RE: Band Mystery? Bad Timing! - BearcatJerry - 01-17-2022 12:11 PM

Bump!

Is there any more news on this story? It looks like Chris Nichter is still listed as the Director of the Bearcat Bands, but I haven't heard anything about his reinstatement.

Not "Marching Band" related, but I was struck by how...crappy...the Shocker Pep band sounded as I watched the BB game yesterday. As a High School "Band Geek," the bands are a key part of what I love about Collegiate athletics. Without the bands, you have a "pro game" experience...both in Football and Basketball. So, I'm really quite interested to know what the heck is happening with the bands and hoping that Dr. Nichter is given the opportunity to make the bands the best possible.

(And yeah, I think the band has come a long way in the right direction since Dr. Frenz's retirement.)