CSNbbs
***Game Thread*** UAB vs BYU - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: ***Game Thread*** UAB vs BYU (/thread-938357.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Another post game article - C-Finder - 12-18-2021 11:29 PM

From AP News

RE: ***Game Thread*** UAB vs BYU - hooverblazer - 12-19-2021 02:35 AM

Awesome win for UAB football against a quality opponent on a national stage. Big for the program moving forward.

RE: ***Game Thread*** UAB vs BYU - biglizard - 12-19-2021 08:37 AM

Just watching the pregame interaction and hearing the post game comments I got the impression the the 2 coaches have a lot of respect for one another. It wouldn’t stun me to see them on a future schedule

RE: ***Game Thread*** UAB vs BYU - DuelingDragon - 12-19-2021 12:17 PM

It would be great home and home, but now that they are heading to Big 12 not sure BYU will be as open to visiting g5 stadiums as they have been as an independent.

RE: ***Game Thread*** UAB vs BYU - BlazinBham - 12-19-2021 01:13 PM

(12-19-2021 12:17 PM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  It would be great home and home, but now that they are heading to Big 12 not sure BYU will be as open to visiting g5 stadiums as they have been as an independent.

Nope, they will schedule bottom dwelling P5s.

RE: ***Game Thread*** UAB vs BYU - KevMo4UAB - 12-19-2021 01:32 PM

Steve Irvine
@SteveIrvine04
·
17m
Time of possession in the 4th quarter of the Independence Bowl: UAB 11:52, BYU 3:08. Total plays in 4th quarter: UAB 23, BYU 7.

04-cheers04-cheers

RE: ***Game Thread*** UAB vs BYU - C-Finder - 12-19-2021 01:58 PM

[Image: 68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773...322e676966]

RE: ***Game Thread*** UAB vs BYU - Engblazr - 12-19-2021 04:04 PM

(12-19-2021 01:13 PM)BlazinBham Wrote:  
(12-19-2021 12:17 PM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  It would be great home and home, but now that they are heading to Big 12 not sure BYU will be as open to visiting g5 stadiums as they have been as an independent.

Nope, they will schedule bottom dwelling P5s.

I think wins like this and moving to AAC will bring respect and potentially allow for some P5 home and home games. Memphis got Mississippi State. Cincy had Notre Dame. South Florida has Bama. UCF has Florida. SMU and TCU have a constant H&H.

Moving to AAC and growing attendance and athletic budgets might also mean we don’t need to rely on payout games and allow us to schedule some H&H P5 games instead of all away P5

RE: ***Game Thread*** UAB vs BYU - kdblazer - 12-19-2021 05:14 PM

Just got back home and is still basking in yesterday's victory.

RE: ***Game Thread*** UAB vs BYU - LairDweller - 12-19-2021 06:58 PM

as I sit down and turn on the tv, the 2nd half is just starting on the replay, so sure, I'll watch it.

6:00 left in the 3rd, UAB up 24-21. BYU throws deep and it goes right thru the receivers hands. Probably should've been a TD...at the very least it should've been 1st and goal.

2 plays later BYU turns it over on downs. I forgot what a huge play that missed pass was

RE: ***Game Thread*** UAB vs BYU - C-Finder - 12-19-2021 09:52 PM

I'm hoping for the team will show up with the trophy at halftime of the 06-basketball game against MS Valley

RE: ***Game Thread*** UAB vs BYU - Auburn_Blazer - 12-20-2021 11:09 AM

(12-18-2021 06:36 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  Something tells me Clark learned his lesson about 4th down plays when the game is on the line.

Less than a minute after the TD, Jemison put a West Virginia guy on a poster and fed him the ball through the rim. Was a nice minute as a blazer fan.

I think this is key. I had already talked myself into the FG of "ok we get 3 points here we're only down 1, so that puts us in a good spot."

Going for it there shows me that Clark is improving, which is all we can really hope for. I feel like it gets lost that the guy kind of made a huge leap from HS HC, where he always had one of the most talented teams in the state, to FBS HC in a short amount of time. Only being in college for 8 true season at this point, including his time at Jax State and South, is pretty short. The real key, to me, is whether or not he carries this into next season. Or did he just make this call because it's an exhibition.

RE: ***Game Thread*** UAB vs BYU - The Answer UAB - 12-20-2021 11:58 AM

(12-20-2021 11:09 AM)Auburn_Blazer Wrote:  
(12-18-2021 06:36 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  Something tells me Clark learned his lesson about 4th down plays when the game is on the line.

Less than a minute after the TD, Jemison put a West Virginia guy on a poster and fed him the ball through the rim. Was a nice minute as a blazer fan.

I think this is key. I had already talked myself into the FG of "ok we get 3 points here we're only down 1, so that puts us in a good spot."

Going for it there shows me that Clark is improving, which is all we can really hope for. I feel like it gets lost that the guy kind of made a huge leap from HS HC, where he always had one of the most talented teams in the state, to FBS HC in a short amount of time. Only being in college for 8 true season at this point, including his time at Jax State and South, is pretty short. The real key, to me, is whether or not he carries this into next season. Or did he just make this call because it's an exhibition.

He went for it on a 4th and 1 earlier in the game that kind of shocked me. He also went for it on the 4th and goal late in the game when we could've theoretically kicked the FG and tried to stop them on defense and score on the last drive. I was a little surprised by both calls, now that I know his tendencies and "philosophy" in such situations.

I'll take it as progress.

RE: ***Game Thread*** UAB vs BYU - HiddenDragon - 12-20-2021 12:06 PM

Honestly, you're comparing apples to oranges regarding the two 4th down scenarios Clark faced.

1. While many of us thought Clark should have gone for it against UTSA we were on our side of the field with the lead. Many other people understood why he opted to punt.

2. UAB was on BYU 14 yd line trailing by 4 with 6 mins left. If Clark kicks a FG he knows there's a chance he may not get the ball back because we wasn't able to stop BYU running game. It was a much easier decision for Clark to go for it instead of kicking a FG in that situation.

RE: ***Game Thread*** UAB vs BYU - DuelingDragon - 12-20-2021 12:11 PM

(12-20-2021 12:06 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  Honestly, you're comparing apples to oranges regarding the two 4th down scenarios Clark faced.

1. While many of us thought Clark should have gone for it against UTSA we were on our side of the field with the lead. Many other people understood why he opted to punt.

2. UAB was on BYU 14 yd line trailing by 4 with 6 mins left. If Clark kicks a FG he knows there's a chance he may not get the ball back because we wasn't able to stop BYU running game. It was a much easier decision for Clark to go for it instead of kicking a FG in that situation.

Yeah, you clearly go for it there when a field goal still needs another score and you are built like UAB. Worst case, you back them up and maybe get the ball back in good position. It would be different math in the pros or with a passing offense.

RE: ***Game Thread*** UAB vs BYU - The Answer UAB - 12-20-2021 12:23 PM

Yeah I know they are different situations, obviously.

We scored the touchdown to win the game with 6:17 left. It would not have surprised me in the least to have Clark kick the field goal there, trust the defense, and hope we get the ball back to win at the end with another field goal.

We also went for it on 4th & 1 with 7:58 left. Same story as above ^^^.

I think both decisions were correct, and I was very happy to see it. I'll take it as progress. I don't expect him to change into some sort of huge gambler now, but MAYBE the UTSA game made him reevaluate how he decides to proceed in similar situations in the future - at least, I hope so. An argument could be made in both situations that he did not have to go for it - which would have been in line with his self-admitted coaching philosophy.

RE: ***Game Thread*** UAB vs BYU - HiddenDragon - 12-20-2021 12:55 PM

I have no doubt Clark thought about kicking a FG and hoping for a defensive stop to get the ball back. But he knew his defense couldn't stop Algiers. Against UTSA, the defense kept McCormick in check making it a easy decision for Clark to punt.

I wouldn't call it progress because I fully believe Clark would make the same decision to punt 100 times out of 100 times. What he would probably do different is change the defensive scheme he used in UTSA's game winning drive.

RE: ***Game Thread*** UAB vs BYU - UABFRENCHY - 12-20-2021 01:02 PM

(12-20-2021 12:55 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  I have no doubt Clark thought about kicking a FG and hoping for a defensive stop to get the ball back. But he knew his defense couldn't stop Algiers. Against UTSA, the defense kept McCormick in check making it a easy decision for Clark to punt.

I wouldn't call it progress because I fully believe Clark would make the same decision to punt 100 times out of 100 times. What he would probably do different is change the defensive scheme he used in UTSA's game winning drive.

I am sure that if he had the same decision to make against utsa ...he will go for it on 4 and 4 inches ....guarantee

RE: ***Game Thread*** UAB vs BYU - HiddenDragon - 12-20-2021 01:15 PM

(12-20-2021 01:02 PM)UABFRENCHY Wrote:  
(12-20-2021 12:55 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  I have no doubt Clark thought about kicking a FG and hoping for a defensive stop to get the ball back. But he knew his defense couldn't stop Algiers. Against UTSA, the defense kept McCormick in check making it a easy decision for Clark to punt.

I am sure that if he had the same decision to make against utsa ...he will go for it on 4 and 4 inches ....guarantee

It wasn't 4 inches, it was one chain link....lol. But I believe Clark when he says he would not have change his decision to punt if given another chance.

RE: ***Game Thread*** UAB vs BYU - kdblazer - 12-20-2021 01:23 PM

(12-20-2021 01:15 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  
(12-20-2021 01:02 PM)UABFRENCHY Wrote:  

It wasn't 4 inches, it was one chain link....lol. But I believe Clark when he says he would not have change his decision to punt if given another chance.
The impression I got was we were there to win the game and was going to take every opportunity to do so. We were the underdogs based on media rankings and had nothing to lose and all to gain and we played like it.