CSNbbs
New Carnegie Classification - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: New Carnegie Classification (/thread-938217.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

New Carnegie Classification - CarRamrod - 12-16-2021 02:54 PM

The new Carnegie Classification was released this morning, JMU is officially designated with R2: Doctoral Universities: High research activity status. This is probably a bigger deal than many on this board realize and is not happenstance. There was some serious time invested by faculty and administrators to get this done.

More info: https://bit.ly/3m5ZUb5

RE: New Carnegie Classification - PurpleStreamers - 12-16-2021 02:55 PM

(12-16-2021 02:54 PM)CarRamrod Wrote:  The new Carnegie Classification was released this morning, JMU is officially designated with R2: Doctoral Universities: High research activity status. This is probably a bigger deal than many on this board realize and is not happenstance. There was some serious time invested by faculty and administrators to get this done.

More info: https://bit.ly/3m5ZUb5

So great to hear!

RE: New Carnegie Classification - boozeNammo - 12-16-2021 02:57 PM

OUTstanding! Was waiting for that news to pop. Early Christmas present indeed.

RE: New Carnegie Classification - DooX - 12-16-2021 03:01 PM

Well of course we have high research activity status. We've been monitoring the college football conference landscape closely for more than a decade. Now that it has finally paid off it only makes sense to upgrade our classification.

Seriously though, 2021 is turning out to be quite the transformational year for JMU!

RE: New Carnegie Classification - 14SemesterDuke - 12-16-2021 03:03 PM

I know this is a big deal, but why?

RE: New Carnegie Classification - 2Buck - 12-16-2021 03:03 PM

[Image: EiEELZ2XgAQ7pru.jpg]

RE: New Carnegie Classification - boozeNammo - 12-16-2021 03:08 PM

basically, not a regional university (in the eyes of academia and 'ranking' services) anymore, we're on the 'national' front. Opens JMU up to quite a few more funding/research opportunities. It's a prestige thing as well. Definitely much more than that though (number and quality of applicants will go up, etc).

RE: New Carnegie Classification - CarRamrod - 12-16-2021 03:19 PM

(12-16-2021 03:08 PM)boozeNammo Wrote:  basically, not a regional university (in the eyes of academia and 'ranking' services) anymore, we're on the 'national' front. Opens JMU up to quite a few more funding/research opportunities. It's a prestige thing as well. Definitely much more than that though (number and quality of applicants will go up, etc).

Yes, some of it is marketing too. JMU will now be listed alongside the other National Universities (i.e. VT, UVA, W&M, GMU, etc) when the U.S. News comes out with their next rankings. As an academic, I hate that these arbitrary rankings like US News matter, but it certainly does change perceptions of students, parents, and funders. Recently, Elon moved up the R3 status (a notch below R2) and they are listed at #83 nationally (versus tied with us for #1 South Regional). You may think that's no good, but they are tied with Michigan State University now and that does a lot for public reputation.

I have sat on expert funding panels for large government organizations and I can tell you that there is some bias (mostly unintentional) towards funding proposals that come through from schools outside of R1/R2. My opinion only... but JMU faculty should see a slight uptick on successful proposals recommended for funding from NSF, etc.

I am not sure if we have any JMU faculty on the board, but it will be interesting to see their thoughts. My guess is R2 is JMUs permanent home, at least for the next couple decades. The leap from R2 to R1 is much more significant. I think JMU being the premier R2 in the state is exactly where they should be.

RE: New Carnegie Classification - 2Buck - 12-16-2021 03:27 PM

Some of the schools joining us this year.

Abilene Christian University
Alabama State University
Bradley University
California State University-Long Beach
Eastern Kentucky University
Florida Gulf Coast University
Grand Valley State University
La Salle University
Oral Roberts University
Prairie View A & M University
Radford University
Tarleton State University
University of Maryland, Baltimore
West Chester University of Pennsylvania
Western Carolina University
Xavier University

RE: New Carnegie Classification - boozeNammo - 12-16-2021 03:28 PM

"My guess is R2 is JMUs permanent home, at least for the next couple decades. The leap from R2 to R1 is much more significant. I think JMU being the premier R2 in the state is exactly where they should be."

Yeah, guessing we would need to have a rather well known college (or two) such as engineering, law, medical, business in order to jump to R1. That don't happen overnight.

The Dukester College of Sagarin Analysis probably won't cut it.

RE: New Carnegie Classification - Dukester - 12-16-2021 03:30 PM

(12-16-2021 03:27 PM)2Buck Wrote:  Some of the schools joining us this year.

Alabama State University
Bradley University
La Salle University
Oral Roberts University
Radford University
Xavier University

Is Tarleton State University a school that changed names? I noticed their scores showing up, but have not heard of them until lately? Too lazy to look. 03-lmfao

RE: New Carnegie Classification - bcp_jmu - 12-16-2021 03:31 PM

this is great news - not expected till middle of next year i thought?

congrats to Alger and the team! Will be so nice not to be "top 3 of regional southeaast measters universities"....and associated with some really small schools

Being 145th of big boy is AOK

RE: New Carnegie Classification - KickItToScotty - 12-16-2021 03:34 PM

(12-16-2021 03:19 PM)CarRamrod Wrote:  I am not sure if we have any JMU faculty on the board, but it will be interesting to see their thoughts. My guess is R2 is JMUs permanent home, at least for the next couple decades. The leap from R2 to R1 is much more significant. I think JMU being the premier R2 in the state is exactly where they should be.

I'm sure Longhorn is very happy, he shared a while back that this was expected but that was right before Covid shut everything down. It seemed like that changed the timeline up slightly but not too much if I remember correctly what was expected from his post on it.

This being expected was probably helpful in realignment too. Whenever someone came along to list all the cons of adding JMU, not being R2 was always at or near the top of the list. I don't know if that would've kept us out of the Sun Belt, but knowing JMU would be reclassified couldn't hurt when there were several other schools wanting one of the four spots.

RE: New Carnegie Classification - jmufan2008 - 12-16-2021 03:46 PM

Yeah, Alger first announced the intention in Feb 2020 at the BOV meeting. I think it was maybe supposed to happen last year or this summer, but the timeline got shifted slightly. Either way, this will be huge for attracting students...or at the very least not making prospective students think twice about coming here. Like has been said, floating around the top public university in the southern region is much different than being the top 150 of national universities (no idea where we'll debut, but would imagine it will be a solid spot in the top 200, maybe 150, but I'd be surprised). Just a different class of universities and finally being judged with our real peers. May not be an exact comparison, but it actually matches up pretty closely with being in the top few of FCS to moving to being a mid-tier Sunbelt team in FBS. Better funding opportunities, much better marketing opportunities, associating with schools of our size and quality, etc.

RE: New Carnegie Classification - AssyrianDuke - 12-16-2021 04:01 PM

(12-16-2021 03:30 PM)Dukester Wrote:  

Alabama State University
Bradley University
La Salle University
Oral Roberts University
Radford University
Xavier University

Is Tarleton State University a school that changed names? I noticed their scores showing up, but have not heard of them until lately? Too lazy to look. 03-lmfao

They just moved up from D2 Lone Star Conference to D1 WAC

RE: New Carnegie Classification - RamDawg - 12-16-2021 04:04 PM

I just Wiki'd R2 Universities. Pretty impressive company to be joining. From a sports perspective...I guess the old "safety school" that some liked to use just became a whole lot tougher to say.

RE: New Carnegie Classification - TXGiant - 12-16-2021 04:07 PM

(12-16-2021 03:30 PM)Dukester Wrote:  

Alabama State University
Bradley University
La Salle University
Oral Roberts University
Radford University
Xavier University

The school has been around as long as I’ve lived in Texas- 30+ years. Same name. I’m kind of surprised they are moving up academically.

RE: New Carnegie Classification - CarRamrod - 12-16-2021 04:11 PM

(12-16-2021 03:46 PM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  Yeah, Alger first announced the intention in Feb 2020 at the BOV meeting. I think it was maybe supposed to happen last year or this summer, but the timeline got shifted slightly. Either way, this will be huge for attracting students...or at the very least not making prospective students think twice about coming here. Like has been said, floating around the top public university in the southern region is much different than being the top 150 of national universities (no idea where we'll debut, but would imagine it will be a solid spot in the top 200, maybe 150, but I'd be surprised). Just a different class of universities and finally being judged with our real peers. May not be an exact comparison, but it actually matches up pretty closely with being in the top few of FCS to moving to being a mid-tier Sunbelt team in FBS. Better funding opportunities, much better marketing opportunities, associating with schools of our size and quality, etc.

With Elon just moving up into the national university category and debuting at #83, I would hope we wouldn't be too different than that since US News saw us as fairly comparable when we were both regional universities. Having said all of that, I was pretty shocked to see Elon as high as 83.

RE: New Carnegie Classification - bcp_jmu - 12-16-2021 04:15 PM

(12-16-2021 03:46 PM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  Yeah, Alger first announced the intention in Feb 2020 at the BOV meeting. I think it was maybe supposed to happen last year or this summer, but the timeline got shifted slightly. Either way, this will be huge for attracting students...or at the very least not making prospective students think twice about coming here. Like has been said, floating around the top public university in the southern region is much different than being the top 150 of national universities (no idea where we'll debut, but would imagine it will be a solid spot in the top 200, maybe 150, but I'd be surprised). Just a different class of universities and finally being judged with our real peers. May not be an exact comparison, but it actually matches up pretty closely with being in the top few of FCS to moving to being a mid-tier Sunbelt team in FBS. Better funding opportunities, much better marketing opportunities, associating with schools of our size and quality, etc.

Very good for the Honors College too!

@Ramrod - breaking 100 would be a real achievement as a starting position IMO

RE: New Carnegie Classification - 2Buck - 12-16-2021 04:16 PM

(12-16-2021 04:11 PM)CarRamrod Wrote:  

With Elon just moving up into the national university category and debuting at #83, I would hope we wouldn't be too different than that since US News saw us as fairly comparable when we were both regional universities. Having said all of that, I was pretty shocked to see Elon as high as 83.

I think we'll be in the 120-150 range. Years ago we were only behind Richmond and went to #1 when they moved up. Since our growth caused our ranking to fall over recent years, we may in the George Mason range (whom we used to be well ahead of but now not so sure). Forbes is a more favorable ranking to JMU cause it factors in the practical measures of level of education and graduates success metrics, vs SATs and class rankings. School like Northeastern have totally gamed the system.