CSNbbs
NC BBQ - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: NC BBQ (/thread-937830.html)

Pages: 1 2

NC BBQ - TexanMark - 12-11-2021 11:18 AM

Taking my wife up for the Cuse @ WF Hoops game in early January. I'll be near Lexington obviously and looking for a BBQ recommendation? I'll be driving up I-77 so if their is something better along my route let me know? Thanks

RE: NC BBQ - XLance - 12-11-2021 11:38 AM

(12-11-2021 11:18 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  Taking my wife up for the Cuse @ WF Hoops game in early January. I'll be near Lexington obviously and looking for a BBQ recommendation? I'll be driving up I-77 so if their is something better along my route let me know? Thanks

If you happen to go through Lexington (I-85).
Lexington BBQ is excellent. I also like Smoky Joe's.

BTW if you get west of Winston-Salem the BBQ changes from Lexington Style to a newly developing Western Style. Anything east of Chapel Hill and you will get predominately Eastern Style.

Lexington Style: Pork shoulders only. Vinegar "dip" w/ a small amount of Ketchup added (sweeter than Eastern Dip, but has the same consistency).
Eastern Style: Whole hog. Vinegar "dip" w/o ketchup

RE: NC BBQ - Wolfman - 12-11-2021 12:24 PM

It's about 30 minutes from Joel to Lexington. Well worth the trip.

RE: NC BBQ - TexanMark - 12-11-2021 01:19 PM

Yes, I think the plan is to grab a meal in Lexington...probably after the game on Saturday.

RE: NC BBQ - McLeansvilleAppFan - 12-11-2021 03:49 PM

(12-11-2021 11:18 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  Taking my wife up for the Cuse @ WF Hoops game in early January. I'll be near Lexington obviously and looking for a BBQ recommendation? I'll be driving up I-77 so if their is something better along my route let me know? Thanks

Lexington does have good Q, but a trip to Stamey's in Greensboro is also good and the Stamey's directly by the Greensboro Coliseum might be a good way to see the ACC Museum at the Coliseum if you like those sorts of things.

Hursey's in Burlington is also very good and they have a good history from what I have been told.

RE: NC BBQ - Statefan - 12-11-2021 04:00 PM

The Barbeque Center on Main Street is the best Lexington style BBQ in NC.

Eastern NC BBQ is just vinegar mush - really just recycled vomit if you ask me. West of Kernersville otherwise known as west of Clark's BBQ there is no more Lexington style that I have ever found just that western NC stuff the requires a thick dip to choke down.

RE: NC BBQ - Shannon Panther - 12-11-2021 10:38 PM

Mark Packer raves about Lexington BBQ.

RE: NC BBQ - XLance - 12-12-2021 01:11 PM

(12-11-2021 04:00 PM)Statefan Wrote:  The Barbeque Center on Main Street is the best Lexington style BBQ in NC.

Eastern NC BBQ is just vinegar mush - really just recycled vomit if you ask me. West of Kernersville otherwise known as west of Clark's BBQ there is no more Lexington style that I have ever found just that western NC stuff the requires a thick dip to choke down.

04-bs

The best thing about the BBQ Center is their banana split (huge).
The BBQ is pedestrian at best.
Lexington #2 is the best in town!

RE: NC BBQ - TexanMark - 12-13-2021 07:40 PM

So it'll be Lexington.

I'll let my wife pick which restaurant. Thanks all for the inputs.

RE: NC BBQ - TexanMark - 01-12-2022 08:46 PM

(12-12-2021 01:11 PM)XLance Wrote:  
(12-11-2021 04:00 PM)Statefan Wrote:  The Barbeque Center on Main Street is the best Lexington style BBQ in NC.

04-bs

We went to the Bar-B-Q Center. Largest banana splits I've ever seen. I didn't try though. I enjoyed the sauce but the pork was average and lacked a smoked flavor. I'm a fan of the red slaw. Overall, it was pretty good but I'll try another joint next time up for a WF game.

RE: NC BBQ - XLance - 01-13-2022 05:17 AM

(01-12-2022 08:46 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  

04-bs

We went to the Bar-B-Q Center. Largest banana splits I've ever seen. I didn't try though. I enjoyed the sauce but the pork was average and lacked a smoked flavor. I'm a fan of the red slaw. Overall, it was pretty good but I'll try another joint next time up for a WF game.
[Image: emot_stoopsfaceshake.gif]

RE: NC BBQ - DawgNBama - 01-13-2022 09:57 AM

(12-11-2021 11:38 AM)XLance Wrote:  

If you happen to go through Lexington (I-85).
Lexington BBQ is excellent. I also like Smoky Joe's.

BTW if you get west of Winston-Salem the BBQ changes from Lexington Style to a newly developing Western Style. Anything east of Chapel Hill and you will get predominately Eastern Style.

Lexington Style: Pork shoulders only. Vinegar "dip" w/ a small amount of Ketchup added (sweeter than Eastern Dip, but has the same consistency).
Eastern Style: Whole hog. Vinegar "dip" w/o ketchup

What is the difference between Lexington style bbq and Memphis style bbq?? I think most bbq restaurants in my state serve Memphis style, so I am curious to know the difference between Lexington style and Memphis style. As for Eastern NC style, I will take a hard pass on that. Can't stand vinegar!!!

RE: NC BBQ - Hokie Mark - 01-13-2022 11:26 AM

The best BBQ is the brown mustard cue served in Upstate SC. All other discussions are irrelevant.
07-coffee3

RE: NC BBQ - TexanMark - 01-13-2022 02:23 PM

(01-13-2022 05:17 AM)XLance Wrote:  

04-bs

[Image: emot_stoopsfaceshake.gif]

I'll try Lexington #2 next time 03-lmfao

RE: NC BBQ - TexanMark - 01-13-2022 02:24 PM

(01-13-2022 11:26 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  The best BBQ is the brown mustard cue served in Upstate SC. All other discussions are irrelevant.
07-coffee3

You have a recommendation around Clemson or Greenville?

RE: NC BBQ - Hokie Mark - 01-13-2022 06:05 PM

(01-13-2022 02:24 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(01-13-2022 11:26 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  The best BBQ is the brown mustard cue served in Upstate SC. All other discussions are irrelevant.
07-coffee3

If you just want great BBQ, and you don't care about "atmosphere" or driving about half an hour out of your way, I recommend...

Little Pigs Barbecue-Anderson
1401 N Main St, Anderson, SC 29621-4732
(warning: it's a "hole-in-the-wall" restaurant)

If you're taking a woman with you, or you just expect your restaurants to look, you know, clean...

Henry's Smokehouse #1
1842 Woodruff Rd. Greenville, SC

Henry's Smokehouse #2
240 Wade Hampton Blvd. Greenville, SC

Henry's Smokehouse #3
123 N. Main Street, Simpsonville, SC

RE: NC BBQ - XLance - 01-13-2022 06:18 PM

(01-13-2022 02:24 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
07-coffee3

The best recommendation would be to drive back to North Carolina for real Q.

RE: NC BBQ - Statefan - 01-13-2022 06:37 PM

04-bs

What time of day did you get there?

RE: NC BBQ - TexanMark - 01-13-2022 08:32 PM

(01-13-2022 06:37 PM)Statefan Wrote:  

04-bs

6pm on Friday, place was full. Seemed like a family operation which was good. Do they smoke the pork in Lexington?

RE: NC BBQ - Statefan - 01-13-2022 10:36 PM

(01-13-2022 08:32 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(01-13-2022 06:37 PM)Statefan Wrote:  

04-bs

6pm on Friday, place was full. Seemed like a family operation which was good. Do they smoke the pork in Lexington?

It's not heavily smoked but it is smoked while being cooked. Shoulders can be variable depending on if you are on a new shoulder or old. Their best is between 11 AM and 1 PM.

Of course when you say smoked I am making assumptions about what you consider smoking. 50 miles to the east they take an entire hog, turn it to mush and soak it in white vinegar and call it barbeque. If I didn't eat another mouthful of that **** I would be happy as a hog. Eastern can be much better if not mushed and if there is some apple vinegar in with the white.