CSNbbs
CFP COTTON BOWL BEARCATS VS ALABAMA- GO BEARCATS, ROLL THE TIDE - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: CFP COTTON BOWL BEARCATS VS ALABAMA- GO BEARCATS, ROLL THE TIDE (/thread-937282.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: CFP COTTON BOWL BEARCATS VS ALABAMA- GO BEARCATS, ROLL THE TIDE - robertfoshizzle - 12-05-2021 03:01 PM

(12-05-2021 02:33 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Yep. No more distractions with coaching changes and the CFP. They are in. The focus, the preparation, the energy flow is all going in the same direction uninhibited. The secondary CFP Selection show reporters [Greg McElroy and RGIII] were saying that Cincinnati would have all the pressure now from carrying the Group of Five Mantle and playing against Alabama. I call out B.S. on that one.

Yeah, I don't buy that either. Maybe there would be some pressure if we weren't going to the Big 12. But, even though I'll be rooting for the "G5" going forward, carrying that mantle doesn't really have a lot of meaning for us. Plus, I doubt most players pay much attention to that kind of stuff. I agree that we should actually have less pressure on us, which bodes well. We had to be perfect all year; now, we just need to win the game. No concerns about style points or getting tripped up.

RE: CFP COTTON BOWL BEARCATS VS ALABAMA- GO BEARCATS, ROLL THE TIDE - OKIcat - 12-05-2021 04:08 PM

(12-05-2021 03:01 PM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  
(12-05-2021 02:33 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Yep. No more distractions with coaching changes and the CFP. They are in. The focus, the preparation, the energy flow is all going in the same direction uninhibited. The secondary CFP Selection show reporters [Greg McElroy and RGIII] were saying that Cincinnati would have all the pressure now from carrying the Group of Five Mantle and playing against Alabama. I call out B.S. on that one.

Yeah, I don't buy that either. Maybe there would be some pressure if we weren't going to the Big 12. But, even though I'll be rooting for the "G5" going forward, carrying that mantle doesn't really have a lot of meaning for us. Plus, I doubt most players pay much attention to that kind of stuff. I agree that we should actually have less pressure on us, which bodes well. We had to be perfect all year; now, we just need to win the game. No concerns about style points or getting tripped up.

Agree with these comments wholeheartedly.

I caught the 30 minute special Channel 9 did today following the CFP announcement. Kudos for another fine piece of work about UC. They did a live cut-in to Fickell's presser and I was really excited to hear him say the Bearcats aren't carrying the banner for anyone else (as if for the G5 from so many talking heads). Paraphrasing here but he said they're representing our team, our school, and our fans basically.

Good for him. While the ABC crew yesterday made brief mention of UC's impending move to the Big XII, someone here should have started a drinking game based upon how many times they uttered G5. And I'm not sure they meant these as pejorative statements, but the constant references to our win being for the "little schools" and being a Cinderella in college football.

Give me a break. UC isn't an old guard, gridiron Blue Blood--none of us would suggest that. But it's also not a "little school" and it's not in any way analogous to George Mason dancing to the Final Four during March Madness years ago. The Bearcats earned this bid every week over an entire unblemished season.

Win or lose against 'Bama, this is no novelty bid or a fluke of any kind.

RE: CFP COTTON BOWL BEARCATS VS ALABAMA- GO BEARCATS, ROLL THE TIDE - bearcats2themoon - 12-05-2021 04:56 PM

Does anyone know what section the student section/band will be sitting in.

RE: CFP COTTON BOWL BEARCATS VS ALABAMA- GO BEARCATS, ROLL THE TIDE - Billy_Bearcat - 12-05-2021 05:08 PM

(12-05-2021 04:56 PM)bearcats2themoon Wrote:  Does anyone know what section the student section/band will be sitting in.

Looks like 145

[Image: cotton_bowl_seating_map.png]

RE: CFP COTTON BOWL BEARCATS VS ALABAMA- GO BEARCATS, ROLL THE TIDE - bearcats2themoon - 12-05-2021 05:20 PM

Thanks Billy. Not sure how i originally missed that on UC's website

RE: CFP COTTON BOWL BEARCATS VS ALABAMA- GO BEARCATS, ROLL THE TIDE - Cataclysmo - 12-05-2021 05:49 PM

Beating Saban might be the proverbial key to ending the Cincinnati sports curse.

RE: CFP COTTON BOWL BEARCATS VS ALABAMA- GO BEARCATS, ROLL THE TIDE - bearcat54 - 12-05-2021 06:10 PM

(12-05-2021 12:59 PM)BcatMatt13 Wrote:  It is absolutely amazing what this football program has accomplished in the last 15 years after a century of ineptitude and apathy.

The deck has been stacked against them and they just continue to rise. I honestly can’t say I ever expected to see this day.

same with me. Who would have ever imagined it?

RE: CFP COTTON BOWL BEARCATS VS ALABAMA- GO BEARCATS, ROLL THE TIDE - Z-Fly - 12-05-2021 06:31 PM

(12-05-2021 05:08 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  
(12-05-2021 04:56 PM)bearcats2themoon Wrote:  Does anyone know what section the student section/band will be sitting in.

Looks like 145

[Image: cotton_bowl_seating_map.png]

Looks like some tickets in those sections are already for sale on the secondary market. Anyone have any idea how that would happen?

RE: CFP COTTON BOWL BEARCATS VS ALABAMA- GO BEARCATS, ROLL THE TIDE - bearcatfan - 12-05-2021 06:42 PM

I've been a UC football fan since high school, and that has been a while. Of course my love for UC grew when I became a student and ultimately a graduate. While going to school there I saw some of the worst football and basketball UC has ever had (we are talking the 1980's).

I never dreamed I would get to watch UC in person in the Orange, Sugar, and Peach Bowls. But now UC has even topped those. It is just amazing to see how far this program has come since my school days there.

I'm a proud UC graduate and a very proud Bearcat fan!

RE: CFP COTTON BOWL BEARCATS VS ALABAMA- GO BEARCATS, ROLL THE TIDE - rath v2.0 - 12-05-2021 10:47 PM

(12-05-2021 02:39 PM)Cat-Man Wrote:  What are the financial ramifications of making the playoff (and beyond)? Does UC get any extra money or does it all go to the AAC conference to share? What about CLF? Does anyone know what kind of bonus he gets for making the playoff (and beyond)?

The AAC gets approximately $8.26 million. $2.26 million is distributed to UC by the conference “for expenses” related to the CFP. The remaining $6 million is split equally among the 11 AAC football schools with UC getting a cut of that as well (not sure if the league office keeps a cut).

There is no additional distribution if you make it to the finals.

RE: CFP COTTON BOWL BEARCATS VS ALABAMA- GO BEARCATS, ROLL THE TIDE - Bear Catlett - 12-06-2021 06:17 AM

(12-05-2021 06:42 PM)bearcatfan Wrote:  I've been a UC football fan since high school, and that has been a while. Of course my love for UC grew when I became a student and ultimately a graduate. While going to school there I saw some of the worst football and basketball UC has ever had (we are talking the 1980's).

I never dreamed I would get to watch UC in person in the Orange, Sugar, and Peach Bowls. But now UC has even topped those. It is just amazing to see how far this program has come since my school days there.

I'm a proud UC graduate and a very proud Bearcat fan!

We are football elite. Totally unimaginable back in the 80's.

That's what I keep telling my kids. If they'd have seen some of the games I've been to, they'd understand why I'm so excited right now.

And the best part of it is, Ohio State (who would do ANYTHING to keep UC down) has to watch us in it.

Who was it that said O$U was the wheel and all the other state schools were the spokes???

RE: CFP COTTON BOWL BEARCATS VS ALABAMA- GO BEARCATS, ROLL THE TIDE - OKIcat - 12-06-2021 08:08 AM

(12-05-2021 10:47 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(12-05-2021 02:39 PM)Cat-Man Wrote:  What are the financial ramifications of making the playoff (and beyond)? Does UC get any extra money or does it all go to the AAC conference to share? What about CLF? Does anyone know what kind of bonus he gets for making the playoff (and beyond)?

The AAC gets approximately $8.26 million. $2.26 million is distributed to UC by the conference “for expenses” related to the CFP. The remaining $6 million is split equally among the 11 AAC football schools with UC getting a cut of that as well (not sure if the league office keeps a cut).

Considering the standard payout for an AAC bowl, this money will be a windfall for UC, even if travel/expenses exceed half a million dollars.

Licensed merchandise revenue for UC will hit an all-time high. It may have already done so, pre-CFP, and we have the bad fortune of a supply chain crisis that is crippling re-stocking of Bearcat products. But I expect many items will be produced domestically and available in short cycle time with CFP or Cotton Bowl co-branding. Anecdotal evidence only, but I hadn't been in a Kohl's store in years and was in one Saturday. Their racks were overstuffed with OSU clothing and a small section for X. I took a quick look and you couldn't find a UC hat, tee, sweatshirt. They always stocked all that and I mean zero remaining Bearcat merchandise--not so much as a stray XXXL item.

We should also watch undergraduate applications for the coming couple of years. I'm not sure of the ceiling for Clifton campus enrollment; sufficient student housing alone may constrain much additional growth above current enrollment levels.

It's a great time to be a Bearcat...or a future Bearcat!

RE: CFP COTTON BOWL BEARCATS VS ALABAMA- GO BEARCATS, ROLL THE TIDE - CliftonAve - 12-06-2021 08:27 AM

(12-06-2021 08:08 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  

Considering the standard payout for an AAC bowl, this money will be a windfall for UC, even if travel/expenses exceed half a million dollars.

Licensed merchandise revenue for UC will hit an all-time high. It may have already done so, pre-CFP, and we have the bad fortune of a supply chain crisis that is crippling re-stocking of Bearcat products. But I expect many items will be produced domestically and available in short cycle time with CFP or Cotton Bowl co-branding. Anecdotal evidence only, but I hadn't been in a Kohl's store in years and was in one Saturday. Their racks were overstuffed with OSU clothing and a small section for X. I took a quick look and you couldn't find a UC hat, tee, sweatshirt. They always stocked all that and I mean zero remaining Bearcat merchandise--not so much as a stray XXXL item.

We should also watch undergraduate applications for the coming couple of years. I'm not sure of the ceiling for Clifton campus enrollment; sufficient student housing alone may constrain much additional growth above current enrollment levels.

I was speaking to someone who is pretty high up the admissions food-chain at UC a few weeks ago— the volume of new applications of late are unprecedented. They won’t be able to accept them all, but it will help make the admission rate look much more competitive.

RE: CFP COTTON BOWL BEARCATS VS ALABAMA- GO BEARCATS, ROLL THE TIDE - OKIcat - 12-06-2021 10:08 AM

(12-06-2021 08:27 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

I was speaking to someone who is pretty high up the admissions food-chain at UC a few weeks ago— the volume of new applications of late are unprecedented. They won’t be able to accept them all, but it will help make the admission rate look much more competitive.

That would seem the logical outcome, the bigger pool allows more selectivity. More selectivity ultimately drives the reputation scores up which means national rankings climb and even more students want in. It's a pretty exciting dynamic going forward.

RE: CFP COTTON BOWL BEARCATS VS ALABAMA- GO BEARCATS, ROLL THE TIDE - BearcatMan - 12-06-2021 10:17 AM

(12-06-2021 10:08 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  

That would seem the logical outcome, the bigger pool allows more selectivity. More selectivity ultimately drives the reputation scores up which means national rankings climb and even more students want in. It's a pretty exciting dynamic going forward.

Yeah, one buddy of mine thinks with the amount of applications they've got, they could dip to around 50% ADMISSION RATE and still see a net growth in enrollment this year. That is crazy to consider from where we were two decades ago.

RE: CFP COTTON BOWL BEARCATS VS ALABAMA- GO BEARCATS, ROLL THE TIDE - Bearcat 1985 - 12-06-2021 11:20 AM

(12-06-2021 10:17 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(12-05-2021 10:47 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  The AAC gets approximately $8.26 million. $2.26 million is distributed to UC by the conference “for expenses” related to the CFP. The remaining $6 million is split equally among the 11 AAC football schools with UC getting a cut of that as well (not sure if the league office keeps a cut).

Yeah, one buddy of mine thinks with the amount of applications they've got, they could dip to around 50% ADMISSION RATE and still see a net growth in enrollment this year. That is crazy to consider from where we were two decades ago.

Every Flutie effect study I've seen showed a temporary increase in the quantity of applications but not the quality. Don't expect a bunch of kids with their hearts set on OSU Honors or Michigan to start heading to Clifton. Now, on the positive side, we can lower our acceptance rate substantially without a drop in quality or enrollment (and maybe a slight increase), and that's real and substantial. That will drive rankings and perceptions of quality and desirability among potential students for several years after the actual Flutie Effect has subsided.

RE: CFP COTTON BOWL BEARCATS VS ALABAMA- GO BEARCATS, ROLL THE TIDE - BearcatMan - 12-06-2021 11:30 AM

(12-06-2021 11:20 AM)Bearcat 1985 Wrote:  
(12-06-2021 08:08 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  Considering the standard payout for an AAC bowl, this money will be a windfall for UC, even if travel/expenses exceed half a million dollars.

Every Flutie effect study I've seen showed a temporary increase in the quantity of applications but not the quality. Don't expect a bunch of kids with their hearts set on OSU Honors or Michigan to start heading to Clifton. Now, on the positive side, we can lower our acceptance rate substantially without a drop in quality or enrollment (and maybe a slight increase), and that's real and substantial. That will drive rankings and perceptions of quality and desirability among potential students for several years after the actual Flutie Effect has subsided.

Exactly...the Rhodes Scholars aren't the ones throwing applications at Cincinnati because they have a good football team, but the fact that most of these kids are going to be middle 50% of applicants means you can shift those numbers up fairly considerably and not have any issue on the enrollment/retention numbers side of things. Plus...in a weird roundabout way, Cincinnati getting way more applications could really help the downstream schools in Ohio like Toledo, Bowling Green, Akron, and Kent State who will benefit from the likely to be large influx of in-state students back into the funnel when they get their denial notices from Cincinnati.

RE: CFP COTTON BOWL BEARCATS VS ALABAMA- GO BEARCATS, ROLL THE TIDE - UCGrad1992 - 12-06-2021 04:42 PM

If Sauce wanted a challenge beyond scratching and staring from away center field then he has it now. If the #2 Bama wideout is no-go then that may prove an "x" and "o" for the good guys. Their QB is the likely Heisman candidate so we need to apply pressure from mixed coverages and situational. Sitting back in a base 3 ain't going to cut it. The more the Houston game went on I liked Tressel's pressure calls from different looks/defenders. The other thing is if you want a game for Rid to use his legs then this one is it. It's one and done if you lose. Just play to win. I really believe the Peach Bowl experience last year will help us not be so wide-eyed on the biggest of stages.

RE: CFP COTTON BOWL BEARCATS VS ALABAMA- GO BEARCATS, ROLL THE TIDE - MainStreetBearcat - 12-06-2021 07:01 PM

We have to make sure our safeties don't get exposed in the middle, especially with their TE's

RE: CFP COTTON BOWL BEARCATS VS ALABAMA- GO BEARCATS, ROLL THE TIDE - BearcatsUC - 12-06-2021 07:40 PM

(12-06-2021 11:20 AM)Bearcat 1985 Wrote:  
(12-06-2021 08:08 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  Considering the standard payout for an AAC bowl, this money will be a windfall for UC, even if travel/expenses exceed half a million dollars.

It’s kind of sad that a student would choose their university based on the football team, though I suppose having our team play on ABC Saturday afternoon and consistently mentioned with the likes of Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan, and Georgia certainly helps with name recognition.

I wonder how much in-state applications have risen. You gotta think Ohio State is hating every last minute of this.