CSNbbs
FIU @ USM - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: FIU @ USM (/thread-936197.html)

Pages: 1 2

FIU @ USM - gdunn - 11-22-2021 03:45 PM

This game ain't on anyone's radar cause well, let's be honest neither one of us is setting the world on fire. I mean we struck a match last week.

Tell ya what.. We'll leave the door unlocked, you come on in, come to the back porch, and drink a beer with us for a couple days. BYOB.. We'll talk trash later in the week.

RE: FIU @ USM - 2009panther - 11-22-2021 05:07 PM

USM by at least 3 touchdowns. If Gore is healthy he’s going for 200 through the air and another 200 on the ground.

RE: FIU @ USM - SouthernMissSNu - 11-22-2021 08:40 PM

Pillow fight of the year.

RE: FIU @ USM - DaBigBlue - 11-22-2021 09:18 PM

Someone is going to end the year with a W

RE: FIU @ USM - nastybunch - 11-23-2021 07:41 AM

Never in my lifetime would I see anyone talking about us like this, which is deserved by the way. Hopefully Will Hall is changing the culture at Southern Miss for the better.

RE: FIU @ USM - gdunn - 11-23-2021 09:23 AM

(11-23-2021 07:41 AM)nastybunch Wrote:  Never in my lifetime would I see anyone talking about us like this, which is deserved by the way. Hopefully Will Hall is changing the culture at Southern Miss for the better.

It's been a rough go, but I think we've learned a lesson.. Stay away from coaches who want to retire in Hattiesburg, go after the young, hungry, smart coordinators that want to be a HC.

RE: FIU @ USM - Was SoMs Eagle - 11-23-2021 10:05 AM

(11-23-2021 07:41 AM)nastybunch Wrote:  Never in my lifetime would I see anyone talking about us like this, which is deserved by the way. Hopefully Will Hall is changing the culture at Southern Miss for the better.

Two awful hires in ten years will do that to any program. Hopefully we rebound and get it going again. Recruiting should improve with our move to a better conference.

RE: FIU @ USM - eaglebeaver - 11-23-2021 10:20 AM

now now now....with a lifetime nearly equaling Methuselah's, odds are good that many unexpected things have happen! 03-lmfao

Have a great Thanksgiving mein freund! 04-cheers

RE: FIU @ USM - usm99 - 11-23-2021 10:41 AM

(11-23-2021 10:05 AM)Was SoMs Eagle Wrote:  

Two awful hires in ten years will do that to any program. Hopefully we rebound and get it going again. Recruiting should improve with our move to a better conference.

Perfect reference here for that quote....USM had losing season in 2012, 13, 14 as well as 2020 and 2021.....prior to those back to back (and back to back to back) losing seasons USM hadn't had consecutive losing seasons since the 1933 and 1934 seasons.

RE: FIU @ USM - SouthernMissSNu - 11-23-2021 11:34 AM

(11-23-2021 10:41 AM)usm99 Wrote:  
(11-23-2021 10:05 AM)Was SoMs Eagle Wrote:  

Perfect reference here for that quote....USM had losing season in 2012, 13, 14 as well as 2020 and 2021.....prior to those back to back (and back to back to back) losing seasons USM hadn't had consecutive losing seasons since the 1933 and 1934 seasons.

Admittedly, we've been pretty spoiled as a fanbase for our history. We've been due a rough decade. But, even in our roughest decade in our history - we were 5-5 for winning/losing seasons.

RE: FIU @ USM - MadEagle - 11-23-2021 12:28 PM

Will Hall is going to do some great things at Southern Miss! He came into a situation that was way worse than I believe he even imagined. The program lacked discipline and good work ethic. He's rebuilt the culture and he's chased off the lazy toxic players. The players who are still here absolutely love him! Let me tell he knows just about every High School Head Coach in Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana on a first name basis. He's a very gifted recruiter.

RE: FIU @ USM - DaSaintFan - 11-24-2021 12:09 PM

(11-23-2021 09:23 AM)gdunn Wrote:  

It's been a rough go, but I think we've learned a lesson.. Stay away from coaches who want to retire in Hattiesburg, go after the young, hungry, smart coordinators that want to be a HC.

And stay away from coaches that only know how to recruit D2 level players...

RE: FIU @ USM - nastybunch - 11-24-2021 02:54 PM

(11-23-2021 10:20 AM)eaglebeaver Wrote:  

now now now....with a lifetime nearly equaling Methuselah's, odds are good that many unexpected things have happen! 03-lmfao

Have a great Thanksgiving mein freund! 04-cheers

Same to you OLD friend. By the way, I have an old picture of McElhaney in youth league with a questionable bat boy in it….

RE: FIU @ USM - ECUGrad07 - 11-24-2021 03:19 PM

I really miss the Southern Miss of old.

Old means different things to different people... so, I will show you what I mean.

These guys still haunt my football dreams...

[Image: damion-fletcher-c4aabf6f-a8fb-427c-a0a0-...e-750.jpeg]
[Image: sept-11-2010-hattiesburg-mississippi-uni...DJKRRB.jpg]

RE: FIU @ USM - usm99 - 11-24-2021 03:43 PM

(11-24-2021 03:19 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  I really miss the Southern Miss of old.

Old means different things to different people... so, I will show you what I mean.

had some great battles with you guys over the years
- 1995 at USM when you lined up for around a 47 yard GW FG attempt only to run a fake, we tackled the receiver so 15 yard penalty made it a chip shot FG for an ECU win
- 1996 at ECU our QB making his first start misses on his first pass but then connects for 13 straight in a 28-7 USM win
- 2000 season finale at USM in a game that was played during and after a monsoon (USM had a grass field) to the point it was hard to tell where the field of play ended and the sideline started
- 2006 in Hattiesburg that ended with a 20-17 ECU win in OT. Yall kicked a FG and on our first or 2nd play i believe we threw a pick in the endzone that your guy caught but our guy ended up getting 2 hands on it. Video review did its thing and did the correct call by confirming the ECU INT and win
- 2010 at USM we jump out to a 20-0 first quarter lead but you guys dominated the remaining 3 quarters to win 44-43
2011 - (one my favs) at ECU, ECU drives it down our throats to go up 7-0, gets the ball back and does it again getting to the 15 yard line when USM player Jamie Collins gets a 97 yard pick 6. On the day USM would end up with 2 offensive TDs, 2 defensive pick 6s, a blocked punt for TD and a punt return for TD in the USM win
- and one that helped change a rule in college football; from an ECU website.....1986 at ECU In a game that eventually changed a college football rule, a penalty against Southern Miss ended up helping the Golden Eagles stun the Pirates. With East Carolina leading 24-23 on the game's final play, Southern Miss chunked a Hail Mary from deep in its own territory as a final prayer. The ball was caught downfield, and USM illegally used a forward lateral to advance the ball further down the field. At the time, a game could not end on a penalty by either team, so Southern Miss got to run an untimed down where the penalty occurred, and ended up kicking the game-winning field goal. To make things more bizarre, an East Carolina fan stormed onto the field and tackled the referee in anger following the conclusion of the heartbreaking loss.

RE: FIU @ USM - Was SoMs Eagle - 11-25-2021 11:01 PM

(11-24-2021 03:43 PM)usm99 Wrote:  

- 1995 at USM when you lined up for around a 47 yard GW FG attempt only to run a fake, we tackled the receiver so 15 yard penalty made it a chip shot FG for an ECU win
- 1996 at ECU our QB making his first start misses on his first pass but then connects for 13 straight in a 28-7 USM win
- 2000 season finale at USM in a game that was played during and after a monsoon (USM had a grass field) to the point it was hard to tell where the field of play ended and the sideline started
- 2006 in Hattiesburg that ended with a 20-17 ECU win in OT. Yall kicked a FG and on our first or 2nd play i believe we threw a pick in the endzone that your guy caught but our guy ended up getting 2 hands on it. Video review did its thing and did the correct call by confirming the ECU INT and win
- 2010 at USM we jump out to a 20-0 first quarter lead but you guys dominated the remaining 3 quarters to win 44-43
2011 - (one my favs) at ECU, ECU drives it down our throats to go up 7-0, gets the ball back and does it again getting to the 15 yard line when USM player Jamie Collins gets a 97 yard pick 6. On the day USM would end up with 2 offensive TDs, 2 defensive pick 6s, a blocked punt for TD and a punt return for TD in the USM win
- and one that helped change a rule in college football; from an ECU website.....1986 at ECU In a game that eventually changed a college football rule, a penalty against Southern Miss ended up helping the Golden Eagles stun the Pirates. With East Carolina leading 24-23 on the game's final play, Southern Miss chunked a Hail Mary from deep in its own territory as a final prayer. The ball was caught downfield, and USM illegally used a forward lateral to advance the ball further down the field. At the time, a game could not end on a penalty by either team, so Southern Miss got to run an untimed down where the penalty occurred, and ended up kicking the game-winning field goal. To make things more bizarre, an East Carolina fan stormed onto the field and tackled the referee in anger following the conclusion of the heartbreaking loss.

Don’t forget the “Mills kills” play. Needing a TD to win, Bower called wide receiver Mills to the sideline and pretended to ream him a new one as the ball was snapped. The defenders thinking Mills was off the field did not cover him. He streaked down the field uncovered, caught the TD pass and won the game. The play resulted in a change of rules to prevent a player repeating the deception.

I will say I miss the old ECU rivalry. Maybe you guys will join us again someday.

RE: FIU @ USM - ATTALLABLAZE - 11-26-2021 08:18 AM

USM by four touchdowns minimum.

RE: FIU @ USM - FairwayEagle - 11-26-2021 10:27 AM

(11-25-2021 11:01 PM)Was SoMs Eagle Wrote:  Don’t forget the “Mills kills” play. Needing a TD to win, Bower called wide receiver Mills to the sideline and pretended to ream him a new one as the ball was snapped. The defenders thinking Mills was off the field did not cover him. He streaked down the field uncovered, caught the TD pass and won the game. The play resulted in a change of rules to prevent a player repeating the deception.

I will say I miss the old ECU rivalry. Maybe you guys will join us again someday.

Mills Kills was at Louisville in 1999.

RE: FIU @ USM - Eagleholic - 11-26-2021 10:29 AM

(11-25-2021 11:01 PM)Was SoMs Eagle Wrote:  
(11-24-2021 03:43 PM)usm99 Wrote:  

Don’t forget the “Mills kills” play. Needing a TD to win, Bower called wide receiver Mills to the sideline and pretended to ream him a new one as the ball was snapped. The defenders thinking Mills was off the field did not cover him. He streaked down the field uncovered, caught the TD pass and won the game. The play resulted in a change of rules to prevent a player repeating the deception.

MillsKills was an amazing play, but that occurred at Louisville.

On another note, it seemed like David Garrard played at ECU for 12 seasons. Lots of good (and a few bad) memories from the days of playing ECU. There was one game at ECU where Southern Miss had a late comeback for the win. I think it was on the final drive that WR Alfred Williams stated that he heard the ball coming toward him as his young QB had thrown a laser pass to him. That QB was Brett Favre.

RE: FIU @ USM - 2009panther - 11-26-2021 11:52 AM

(11-26-2021 08:18 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  USM by four touchdowns minimum.

Easily. Butch came out last game decked out in all Navy gear claiming it was for military appreciation day even though nobody else on the staff participated. After everything that happened we still trotted him out there. Players have already started entering the transfer portal. He lost the team the first week of October - guys don’t even look like they’re trying anymore. Honestly, this is the worst team we’ve had even with a number of talented players on the roster. Which is saying a lot with our history. No discipline, awful gap coverage, bad technique, no effort, and terrible play calling. We’d probably lose to UCONN.

USM has a solid defense. I’ve seen pieces of the last few games. They’re going to absolutely destroy us. Offense has also been decent considering they’re playing two running backs at QB. I’d say something like 42-3.