CSNbbs
USFL says it’s coming back and will play in spring 2022 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Sports Bar (/forum-531.html)
+----- Forum: Pro Sports (/forum-516.html)
+----- Thread: USFL says it’s coming back and will play in spring 2022 (/thread-936190.html)

USFL says it’s coming back and will play in spring 2022 - Wedge - 11-22-2021 02:20 PM

The USFL is like Jason in the Friday the 13th movies…

RE: USFL says it’s coming back and will play in spring 2022 - stever20 - 11-22-2021 02:21 PM

I love them bringing back the old team names. Think that is a very smart idea.

RE: USFL says it’s coming back and will play in spring 2022 - Wedge - 11-22-2021 02:41 PM

All the games will be played in one place?

Quote:The teams will be split evenly between two divisions. In the north, the Michigan Panthers, New Jersey Generals, Philadelphia Stars and Pittsburgh Maulers will compete, while the southern division includes the Birmingham Stallions, Houston Gamblers, New Orleans Breakers and Tampa Bay Bandits. All the teams will play this season in one location, which has not yet been announced.

RE: USFL says it’s coming back and will play in spring 2022 - TexasTerror - 11-22-2021 02:58 PM

(11-22-2021 02:41 PM)Wedge Wrote:  All the games will be played in one place?

All the articles reference moving back to the home markets in the future.

Likely helps them keep it cost contained for the first year and ensure there's a second year for the USFL to look forward to.

Considering these other leagues minus the UFL did not see a second season, it's not a bad idea especially since you would not need to spend money on staffing and facility (rentals?) infrastructure in more than one locale.

RE: USFL says it’s coming back and will play in spring 2022 - GoodOwl - 11-23-2021 03:59 PM

(11-22-2021 02:41 PM)Wedge Wrote:  All the games will be played in one place?

Quote:The teams will be split evenly between two divisions. In the north, the Michigan Panthers, New Jersey Generals, Philadelphia Stars and Pittsburgh Maulers will compete, while the southern division includes the Birmingham Stallions, Houston Gamblers, New Orleans Breakers and Tampa Bay Bandits. All the teams will play this season in one location, which has not yet been announced.

How 'bout playing in Hotlanta, and have this guy stop by:
[Image: Walker_Herschel10_Generals_USFL.jpg][Image: ap_16179645461726.jpg]

RE: USFL says it’s coming back and will play in spring 2022 - Wedge - 11-23-2021 05:24 PM

Looks like Birmingham will be the 2022 home of the USFL.

https://www.wvtm13.com/article/birmingham-bjcc-officials-discussing-playing-all-united-states-football-league-games-in-the-city/37928711

Quote:Officials in the city of Birmingham and at the BJCC are reportedly in discussion with Fox Sports about the possibility of the United States Football League playing all of its games in the city as early as next year.
Quote:… a proposal includes a ten-game season with two semi-final matches and a championship, making a total of 43 USFL games. Somewhere between 75% and 80% of the league's games would be played at Protective Stadium. The remaining games would be played at Legion Field.

The broadcast proposal is as follows: 25% of games on the USA Network, 25% of Fox Sports, 25% on Fox and 25% on NBC.

RE: USFL says it’s coming back and will play in spring 2022 - Fighting Muskie - 11-23-2021 07:11 PM

I’m shocked to not see the San Antonio Gunslingers, Memphis Showboats, or Orlando Renegades. Those cities are always go to locations for fledgling football leagues.

RE: USFL says it’s coming back and will play in spring 2022 - Cruhawk - 11-24-2021 10:57 AM

(11-23-2021 07:11 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I’m shocked to not see the San Antonio Gunslingers, Memphis Showboats, or Orlando Renegades. Those cities are always go to locations for fledgling football leagues.

I can speak to the Gunslingers at least: the USFL (or more accurately, the holding company created by Fox Sports for the USFL: NSFL Enterprises Co. LLC) owns the trademarks to 15 of 19 USFL team identities over the league's existence. The 4 it doesn't own are:
  • Chicago Blitz
  • Washington Federals
  • Arizona Wranglers - (IFL team in region is already called "Northern Arizona Wranglers")
  • San Antonio Gunslingers - lower tier arena football team in same city already took namesake

The former two are probably more difficult to get trademarked and even more difficult to market compared to others given their "generic" status. And they got beaten to it on the latter two - nothing you can do there.

Memphis also didn't exactly come out and support the Express back when the AAF was around, and the liberty bowl could use a facelift.

XFL was also rumored to be considering relocation of the TB Vipers to Orlando and and another team (possibly Dallas) to San Antonio after their first season with the AAF out of the picture so maybe they have those lines of communication have stayed open.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Memphis/San Antonio/Orlando were more skeptical of spring leagues in general since they (along with Birmingham) are usually targets for new spring leagues.

RE: USFL says it’s coming back and will play in spring 2022 - Fighting Muskie - 11-24-2021 07:42 PM

(11-24-2021 10:57 AM)Cruhawk Wrote:  
(11-23-2021 07:11 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I’m shocked to not see the San Antonio Gunslingers, Memphis Showboats, or Orlando Renegades. Those cities are always go to locations for fledgling football leagues.

I can speak to the Gunslingers at least: the USFL (or more accurately, the holding company created by Fox Sports for the USFL: NSFL Enterprises Co. LLC) owns the trademarks to 15 of 19 USFL team identities over the league's existence. The 4 it doesn't own are:
  • Chicago Blitz
  • Washington Federals
  • Arizona Wranglers - (IFL team in region is already called "Northern Arizona Wranglers")
  • San Antonio Gunslingers - lower tier arena football team in same city already took namesake

The former two are probably more difficult to get trademarked and even more difficult to market compared to others given their "generic" status. And they got beaten to it on the latter two - nothing you can do there.

Memphis also didn't exactly come out and support the Express back when the AAF was around, and the liberty bowl could use a facelift.

XFL was also rumored to be considering relocation of the TB Vipers to Orlando and and another team (possibly Dallas) to San Antonio after their first season with the AAF out of the picture so maybe they have those lines of communication have stayed open.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Memphis/San Antonio/Orlando were more skeptical of spring leagues in general since they (along with Birmingham) are usually targets for new spring leagues.

The AAF was very well received in the San Antonio markets. Maybe they go into that market using the name of another USFL team name like Outlaws or Bulls

RE: USFL says it’s coming back and will play in spring 2022 - Transic_nyc - 12-15-2021 09:12 PM

Quote:The United States Football League (USFL) has announced a multi-year media rights agreement with NBC Sports beginning in April 2022.

Under the agreement, NBC Sports will broadcast 21 USFL games during its inaugural season in 2022. Eight games will appear on NBC with another nine on USA Network and four on Peacock.

FOX Sports, which controls the league through USFL HoldCo, LLC, will televise 22 games in 2022. FOX will broadcast 12 games, while ten games will be televised by FS1.

“We’re excited to partner with the USFL and FOX Sports to present this new era of professional football,” said Pete Bevacqua, Chairman, NBC Sports. “With our multiple platforms across broadcast, cable, and streaming, football fans throughout the country will be able to experience the USFL’s opening season this spring.”

“We’re thrilled to have NBC Sports join FOX Sports as an official media partner of the new USFL,” said FOX Sports CEO and Executive Producer Eric Shanks, who will serve as Chairman of the USFL’s Board of Directors. “Like FOX, NBC has a reputation for excellence in football production, and the exposure both companies have committed to the USFL, including a combined 20 games on broadcast television, will provide fans unprecedented access all season long.”

https://fbschedules.com/usfl-announces-media-rights-agreement-with-nbc-sports/

RE: USFL says it’s coming back and will play in spring 2022 - AllTideUp - 12-16-2021 07:26 AM

Protective Stadium is nice, I've been a few times now.

I'm still a little doubtful that so many games will be successful in one market although they obviously are shooting for TV revenue.

RE: USFL says it’s coming back and will play in spring 2022 - Renandpat - 12-16-2021 11:54 AM

(12-16-2021 07:26 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Protective Stadium is nice, I've been a few times now.

I'm still a little doubtful that so many games will be successful in one market although they obviously are shooting for TV revenue.

Since FOX owns the league, they are not worried about the TV revenue since it's really low cost weekend afternoon programming in the spring for their owned and operated affiliates.
And since there are dozens more states within the legal betting than when the AAF started in 2019, FOX is interested in the gambling aspect through FOX Bet.

RE: USFL says it’s coming back and will play in spring 2022 - Cruhawk - 12-22-2021 09:58 AM

(12-16-2021 11:54 AM)Renandpat Wrote:  
(12-16-2021 07:26 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Protective Stadium is nice, I've been a few times now.

Since FOX owns the league, they are not worried about the TV revenue since it's really low cost weekend afternoon programming in the spring for their owned and operated affiliates.
And since there are dozens more states within the legal betting than when the AAF started in 2019, FOX is interested in the gambling aspect through FOX Bet.

That's what makes me very curious about this league being owned by a large media conglomerate how it is, the USFL presents a lot of potential synergy and complimentary opportunities to Fox Corp's properties:
  • Games themselves providing hours of sports programming during a relativly slow time on the sports broadcasting calendar that can realistically average 1M+ live viewers a game
  • Opportunities for additional content (pre/post game shows, highlights, analysis, behind-the scenes type shows, and league news) that Fox/FS1/Fox's Websites can use for filler content
  • Ability to leverage Fox/FS1/Fox News/Fox Business for league coverage and announcements
  • Daily Fantasy/Promo/Bonuses for sports betting via FoxBet/Super 6
  • Tubi (Fox Corp owned) as a potential streaming partner
  • Credible (fintech company owned by Fox Corp) as a potential league partner/sponsor