CSNbbs
Zootown Classic @ Missoula, MT - GAMES 5/6/7 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: Zootown Classic @ Missoula, MT - GAMES 5/6/7 (/thread-936039.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Zootown Classic @ Missoula, MT - GAMES 5/6/7 - B_Hawk06 - 11-25-2021 08:03 PM

How has anyone attacked players?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RE: Zootown Classic @ Missoula, MT - GAMES 5/6/7 - SEA33HAWK - 11-25-2021 08:16 PM

(11-25-2021 08:03 PM)B_Hawk06 Wrote:  How has anyone attacked players?

Just one example.
"The problem with Fornes is he wants to play hero ball. It’s especially problematic when he can’t hit the broad side of a barn.

He needs to see the bench. A lot."

That isn't very encouraging. Guess you could always just walk up to him and tell him to his face that he sucks.

Zootown Classic @ Missoula, MT - GAMES 5/6/7 - B_Hawk06 - 11-25-2021 08:22 PM

(11-25-2021 08:16 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  

Just one example.
"The problem with Fornes is he wants to play hero ball. It’s especially problematic when he can’t hit the broad side of a barn.

That isn't very encouraging. Guess you could always just walk up to him and tell him to his face that he sucks.

I suppose I could.

Maybe you’re right.

Fornes, take more shots. Take a lot more shots. Shoot that ball every time you touch it. As a matter of fact, don’t ever pass it. Shoot from half court too.

I’m sorry 33. I didn’t realize I was the only person on the board saying he should be playing behind others on the team.

Hope Siddle plays him 40 minutes from now on.

Lol.

RE: Zootown Classic @ Missoula, MT - GAMES 5/6/7 - SEA33HAWK - 11-25-2021 08:34 PM

(11-25-2021 08:22 PM)B_Hawk06 Wrote:  

Just one example.

I suppose I could.

Maybe you’re right.

Fornes, take more shots. Take a lot more shots. Shoot that ball every time you touch it. As a matter of fact, don’t ever pass it. Shoot from half court too.

I’m sorry 33. I didn’t realize I was the only person on the board saying he should be playing behind others on the team.

Hope Siddle plays him 40 minutes from now on.

Lol.

I never said you were. Not sure when you became so bitter. This is not the 06 I remember. I don't know, but I'm thinking retirement should be in your near future. It may just mellow you back out. It sure did me. Except when I'm driving. Don't know if anything would help my animated road rages. I have learned to laugh at myself afterwards.

Zootown Classic @ Missoula, MT - GAMES 5/6/7 - Seahawkhoops - 11-25-2021 08:40 PM

Just one example.

While i certainly understand what you are saying I’m also of the mindset that if a D1 player reads what a “couch coach” on a message is saying and he can’t take it, he’s probably not tough enough to be a good player at a good D1 school. We all want the same thing, to build a winner. But most importantly we want to see improvement, a glimmer of hope, something to latch onto. And to me that’s what I haven’t seen and that’s where I struggle. We play better when we press, yet, it doesn’t seem to be our strategy to to that early and often. Things like that are what give me pause. Wes Miller took 4 years before he turned it around , but the problem is we had 3 years of losing under CB first. Fair or not, that is what makes people give a shorter leash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Zootown Classic @ Missoula, MT - GAMES 5/6/7 - 82hawk - 11-25-2021 08:50 PM

Just one example.

This is a discussion board, not an emotional support board. Fornes shoots too much. Period. Maybe the coach doesn't care, but as fans we have a right to have a different opinion. Maybe as the season goes Fornes will start hitting 40% of the shots he's taking, but six games in he has taken more shots than any other player on the team and he has one of the worst shooting percentages on the team at 26.6%. That's a recipe for a losing team.

I wonder how Fornes would describe his offense to date?

RE: Zootown Classic @ Missoula, MT - GAMES 5/6/7 - SEA33HAWK - 11-25-2021 09:00 PM

(11-25-2021 08:40 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

Just one example.

While i certainly understand what you are saying I’m also of the mindset that if a D1 player reads what a “couch coach” on a message is saying and he can’t take it, he’s probably not tough enough to be a good player at a good D1 school. We all want the same thing, to build a winner. But most importantly we want to see improvement, a glimmer of hope, something to latch onto. And to me that’s what I haven’t seen and that’s where I struggle. We play better when we press, yet, it doesn’t seem to be our strategy to to that early and often. Things like that are what give me pause. Wes Miller took 4 years before he turned it around , but the problem is we had 3 years of losing under CB first. Fair or not, that is what makes people give a shorter leash

Because it's so heartwarming to a player for fans to show their lack of love. I really don't think it's encouraging to players who are struggling to reach their potential. Or have you thought about recruits reading negative remarks while failing to contribute support in turning the program around. I really don't think recruits care to play for fans who throw players under the bus when things don't get better quick enough in a fan's mind. And I don't see how CB's failures should reflect on Siddle. Wes Miller would have been gone after two years with such thinking.

Zootown Classic @ Missoula, MT - GAMES 5/6/7 - Seahawkhoops - 11-25-2021 09:12 PM

(11-25-2021 09:00 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  

Just one example.

Because it's so heartwarming to a player for fans to show their lack of love. I really don't think it's encouraging to players who are struggling to reach their potential. Or have you thought about recruits reading negative remarks while failing to contribute support in turning the program around. I really don't think recruits care to play for fans who throw players under the bus when things don't get better quick enough in a fan's mind. And I don't see how CB's failures should reflect on Siddle. Wes Miller would have been gone after two years with such thinking.

I didn’t say it was fair, but losing for so many years contributes to the apathy. I just want to see some improvement, something , anything. And then I see a coach fail to grab onto one or two of the only things that have actually worked and use them more, that’s concerning to me. And I don’t think complaining about losing is isolated to any one fan board, so I’m sorry but I still don’t buy it affecting things in that dramatic of a fashion.

RE: Zootown Classic @ Missoula, MT - GAMES 5/6/7 - SEA33HAWK - 11-25-2021 09:23 PM

(11-25-2021 08:50 PM)82hawk Wrote:  

Just one example.

This is a discussion board, not an emotional support board. Fornes shoots too much. Period. Maybe the coach doesn't care, but as fans we have a right to have a different opinion. Maybe as the season goes Fornes will start hitting 40% of the shots he's taking, but six games in he has taken more shots than any other player on the team and he has one of the worst shooting percentages on the team at 26.6%. That's a recipe for a losing team.

I think Fornes would be the first to admit he's not shooting well. I don't think he needs a fan board to rub it in his face.
Before the flu hit Fornes' minutes have been decreasing. And I'm sure he realizes that if his production doesn't pick up his playing time will continue to drop.
Wainwright and Brownell both had early setbacks in some seasons. They tried different lineups in nonconference in preparation for conference play. And that happened without having to blend in 10 new players. Defensively we are ahead of the game. Offense is not there yet. We have just lost the opportunity to play two games that would have been instrumental in figuring out what we have. We have a lot more games to play. And it has to be a much better improvement in the end than last year's short season. I saw improvement in the second half of the Pitt game and the Coastal game. And we won ugly at Delaware State. We would have never won that game last year. Now, as a team, shooting has to get better.

Zootown Classic @ Missoula, MT - GAMES 5/6/7 - B_Hawk06 - 11-25-2021 09:24 PM

(11-25-2021 09:00 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  

Just one example.

Wes Miller took 4 years before he turned it around , but the problem is we had 3 years of losing under CB first. Fair or not, that is what makes people give a shorter leash

Wes Miller would have been gone after two years with such thinking.

Wes Miller probably should’ve been fired after two years. Except UNCG historically sucked. They really hadn’t had any sort of success until Miller changed up his coaching system. That means he had a longer leash. If they had successful teams and coaches before him and expected success, he likely would’ve been fired.

That’s just me being a “couch AD” though.

RE: Zootown Classic @ Missoula, MT - GAMES 5/6/7 - Seahawk Nation 08 - 11-25-2021 09:25 PM

If only positives should be posted on a message board then we wouldn’t have much basketball discussion here over the last few years.

I’d rather read fair criticism than nothing at all. The latter means apathy has set in and people don’t care.

I somehow doubt being less negative would have helped CB McGrath succeed more. Nothing we say here should impact recruiting. If it does that speaks to a larger problem.

Zootown Classic @ Missoula, MT - GAMES 5/6/7 - Seahawkhoops - 11-25-2021 09:26 PM

(11-25-2021 09:23 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  
(11-25-2021 08:50 PM)82hawk Wrote:  

Just one example.

I think Fornes would be the first to admit he's not shooting well. I don't think he needs a fan board to rub it in his face.
Before the flu hit Fornes' minutes have been decreasing. And I'm sure he realizes that if his production doesn't pick up his playing time will continue to drop.
Wainwright and Brownell both had early setbacks in some seasons. They tried different lineups in nonconference in preparation for conference play. And that happened without having to blend in 10 new players. Defensively we are ahead of the game. Offense is not there yet. We have just lost the opportunity to play two games that would have been instrumental in figuring out what we have. We have a lot more games to play. And it has to be a much better improvement in the end than last year's short season. I saw improvement in the second half of the Pitt game and the Coastal game. And we won ugly at Delaware State. We would have never won that game last year. Now, as a team, shooting has to get better.

I haven’t given up…… just wish coach would grab on to what’s working a bit more than he has. He has done that a bit switching the lineups, but not full court press. Maybe he will. This offense needs the D to create the easy chances and that will help get the rest going IMO

RE: Zootown Classic @ Missoula, MT - GAMES 5/6/7 - SEA33HAWK - 11-25-2021 09:33 PM

(11-25-2021 09:25 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  If only positives should be posted on a message board then we wouldn’t have much basketball discussion here over the last few years.

I’d rather read fair criticism than nothing at all. The latter means apathy has set in and people don’t care.

I somehow doubt being less negative would have helped CB McGrath succeed more. Nothing we say here should impact recruiting. If it does that speaks to a larger problem.

Never said there shouldn't be fair criticism.
There is a larger problem. It’s called social media. Many players aren't nearly as emotionally stable as those we grew up watching.

RE: Zootown Classic @ Missoula, MT - GAMES 5/6/7 - Seahawk Nation 08 - 11-25-2021 09:35 PM

(11-25-2021 09:33 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  
(11-25-2021 09:25 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  If only positives should be posted on a message board then we wouldn’t have much basketball discussion here over the last few years.

There is a larger problem. It’s called social media. Many players aren't nearly as emotionally stable as those we grew up watching.

True. Can’t speak for anyone else but I’m not bashing players on Twitter. I guess this board can be considered social media, but if it is, the criticism found here is quite tame compared to what ends up on that cesspool Twitter.

Zootown Classic @ Missoula, MT - GAMES 5/6/7 - B_Hawk06 - 11-25-2021 09:39 PM

(11-25-2021 09:33 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  

This is fair. Ian Steere, another Siddle recruit/transfer wasn’t emotionally stable.

It sounds like he’s doing better these days though, and I’m happy his situation didn’t turn completely dark.

I learned my lesson blindly supporting coaches and withholding criticisms that were warranted and very obvious.

Right now there are some positives to appreciate (mostly on some successful defense), but a lot of serious concerns if we’re program building.

RE: Zootown Classic @ Missoula, MT - GAMES 5/6/7 - 82hawk - 11-26-2021 07:34 AM

There is no such thing as an "uncritical" message board that operates as a "heartwarming" support group for the players and coaches. When teams are playing well, message boards delve into discussions about the best players on the team, the possibility of tournament bids and the upcoming rivalry game. But when we're bad, message boards are armchair coaches...because we're literally sitting in our chairs offering our opinions on what is going wrong.

But we can offer those opinions, good or bad, because we're invested in the team. We know who the players are, where they came from, background info on their playing style before they ever get here. The average fan doesn't know, nor do they care about anything we discuss here. They only know our record. And they are usually only invested when we are winning.

RE: Zootown Classic @ Missoula, MT - GAMES 5/6/7 - jumpinmullet - 11-27-2021 10:43 AM

Maybe not playing there will be a good thing for the players and they bounce back from being sick .

RE: Zootown Classic @ Missoula, MT - GAMES 5/6/7 - billthebighawksfan - 11-27-2021 10:59 AM

I think so Jumpin. The Grizz are world beaters right now so that would not have gone well short-handed for sure. San Diego is no picnic either. Just rest and feel better!

I’m hoping that can be ready to roll on Wednesday. Getting sick now is better than conference time but it sucks to get sick.

RE: Zootown Classic @ Missoula, MT - GAMES 5/6/7 - 70shawk - 11-27-2021 04:39 PM

(11-27-2021 10:59 AM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  I think so Jumpin. The Grizz are world beaters right now so that would not have gone well short-handed for sure. San Diego is no picnic either. Just rest and feel better!

I’m hoping that can be ready to roll on Wednesday. Getting sick now is better than conference time but it sucks to get sick.

"While UM's record currently stands at 4-2, the Grizzlies might earn a forfeit victory over UNCW which would push their record to 5-2."

https://www.montanasports.com/sports/big-sky-conference/montana-grizzlies/montana-closes-out-zootown-classic-with-win-over-southern-miss

So UNCW might have two forfeit losses as a result of not playing?

RE: Zootown Classic @ Missoula, MT - GAMES 5/6/7 - Seahawk Nation 08 - 11-27-2021 05:20 PM

(11-27-2021 04:39 PM)70shawk Wrote:  
(11-27-2021 10:59 AM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  I think so Jumpin. The Grizz are world beaters right now so that would not have gone well short-handed for sure. San Diego is no picnic either. Just rest and feel better!

"While UM's record currently stands at 4-2, the Grizzlies might earn a forfeit victory over UNCW which would push their record to 5-2."

https://www.montanasports.com/sports/big-sky-conference/montana-grizzlies/montana-closes-out-zootown-classic-with-win-over-southern-miss

So UNCW might have two forfeit losses as a result of not playing?

That would be pretty messed up. It’s not like teams have been forfeiting games due to COVID. Why would that policy be any different for the flu?