CSNbbs
Local Recruits 2024 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+------ Forum: Chuck “Subflea” Saffell Recruiting Forum (/forum-425.html)
+------ Thread: Local Recruits 2024 (/thread-935631.html)

Pages: 1 2

Local Recruits 2024 - Crewdogz - 11-16-2021 11:11 AM

Not a lot of news out there just yet for 2024; I'm not aware of any local offers for UC. There is some talent in the class locally. If anyone knows others please feel free to add to the list:

Ted Hammond, St Xavier, 6'5" 250 lbs NG/DT, has an offer from Temple

Kyle Kelhoffer, Lasalle, 6'5", 260 lbs, NG/DT, 2nd team all GCL getting lots of interest

Jordan Marshall, Moeller, RB, 6-0, 190 lbs, 2nd team all GCL

Koy Beasley, La Salle, DB, 6-0, 180, 2nd team all GCL

RE: Local Recruits 2024 - beethovan - 11-16-2021 02:49 PM

(11-16-2021 11:11 AM)Crewdogz Wrote:  Not a lot of news out there just yet for 2024; I'm not aware of any local offers for UC. There is some talent in the class locally. If anyone knows others please feel free to add to the list:

Kyle Kelhoffer, Lasalle, 6'5", 260 lbs, NG/DT, 2nd team all GCL getting lots of interest

So is what you're saying that there is plenty of talent at the catholic schools, but not so much at the public schools? 01-wingedeagle

RE: Local Recruits 2024 - geef - 11-16-2021 03:26 PM

(11-16-2021 02:49 PM)beethovan Wrote:  
(11-16-2021 11:11 AM)Crewdogz Wrote:  Not a lot of news out there just yet for 2024; I'm not aware of any local offers for UC. There is some talent in the class locally. If anyone knows others please feel free to add to the list:

So is what you're saying that there is plenty of talent at the catholic schools, but not so much at the public schools? 01-wingedeagle

Looks like someone's sensitive. As he posted, he's listing what he knows and that's appreciated. It's your chance to do the same.

RE: Local Recruits 2024 - Captain Bearcat - 11-16-2021 03:51 PM

Lots of time for these kids to grow & change. They don't even have drivers' licenses yet.

RE: Local Recruits 2024 - Z-Fly - 11-16-2021 04:05 PM

I'm bad about changing directions, sometimes. Maybe this should get it's own thread, but I do have a question.

I've noticed more and more players seemingly being recruited to some catholic schools and certain public High Schools (Princeton comes to mind). I'm sure it's always happened to some extent. Is it happening more than it used to though? It sure seems that way.

RE: Local Recruits 2024 - Crewdogz - 11-16-2021 04:13 PM

(11-16-2021 02:49 PM)beethovan Wrote:  

I admittedly follow the Catholic schools closely and coached for many years within the system. What geef said is exactly right, this thread is an invitation for others to post players in the class of 2024 with D1 offers or potential from public or private institutions.

RE: Local Recruits 2024 - Crewdogz - 11-16-2021 04:23 PM

(11-16-2021 04:05 PM)Z-Fly Wrote:  I'm bad about changing directions, sometimes. Maybe this should get it's own thread, but I do have a question.

I've noticed more and more players seemingly being recruited to some catholic schools and certain public High Schools (Princeton comes to mind). I'm sure it's always happened to some extent. Is it happening more than it used to though? It sure seems that way.

"Recruiting" is against OHSAA rules; specifically “any attempt to recruit a prospective student-athlete for athletic purposes is strictly prohibited.” There are various forms of punishment based on the severity.

Princeton was penalized previously for recruiting violations: https://www.wcpo.com/sports/high-school-sports/ohsaa-penalizes-princeton-high-school-for-recruiting-violations-within-football-program

Moeller as well: https://www.wcpo.com/sports/high-school-sports/ohsaa-penalizes-moeller-high-school-for-a-recruiting-violation-within-football-program

I'm sure there's more examples. In Dayton Trotwood-Madison used to be accused of it but I'm not sure if they were ever caught doing it.

I don't know if it's happening more than previously but lots of schools have gone to "open enrollment" and will take student from outside their district which could make it seem more prevalent. And honestly if you're a student athlete and can go to a better school district with better athletics I'm sure it's something you would pursue.

RE: Local Recruits 2024 - Z-Fly - 11-17-2021 07:03 AM

(11-16-2021 04:23 PM)Crewdogz Wrote:  
(11-16-2021 04:05 PM)Z-Fly Wrote:  I'm bad about changing directions, sometimes. Maybe this should get it's own thread, but I do have a question.

"Recruiting" is against OHSAA rules; specifically “any attempt to recruit a prospective student-athlete for athletic purposes is strictly prohibited.” There are various forms of punishment based on the severity.

Princeton was penalized previously for recruiting violations: https://www.wcpo.com/sports/high-school-sports/ohsaa-penalizes-princeton-high-school-for-recruiting-violations-within-football-program

Moeller as well: https://www.wcpo.com/sports/high-school-sports/ohsaa-penalizes-moeller-high-school-for-a-recruiting-violation-within-football-program

I'm sure there's more examples. In Dayton Trotwood-Madison used to be accused of it but I'm not sure if they were ever caught doing it.

I don't know if it's happening more than previously but lots of schools have gone to "open enrollment" and will take student from outside their district which could make it seem more prevalent. And honestly if you're a student athlete and can go to a better school district with better athletics I'm sure it's something you would pursue.

I appreciate that. I know it's not supposed to happen. I'm also aware that it does happen. I remember some Catholic schools sniffing around one of our talented basketball players. They had a good eye, because it looks like he's still playing Pro-Ball overseas. I just checked.

RE: Local Recruits 2024 - ucbandguy - 11-17-2021 10:35 AM

I remember it being very blatant back in the 1970's, with one Mr. Faust being the champion recruiter. (Got him a nice college gig - but everyone else recruited in college.)

There were a lot of rules added several decades ago. Don't know how closely they are followed.

RE: Local Recruits 2024 - Captain Bearcat - 11-17-2021 10:41 AM

Xavier's Romain Sato was at the center of a recruiting scandal at Dayton Christian in the late 90s.

It's hard to find info on it anymore, but here's a couple articles that mention it:
https://harpers.org/archive/2015/04/american-hustle/6/
https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/dazzling-sports-decade-dayton/QJqj4InIY8jQNt0x18O8SK/

They recruited a bunch of athletes from the Central African Republic. At the time they got a lot of positive press about it. But in 2001 they got busted for illegal recruiting and a bunch of people got deported over it. One of the guys who didn't get deported was Romain Sato, who started every game at Xavier that year as a freshman and had made a lot of freshman All-American teams. I remember thinking that XU must have protected him.

I remember Sato well. One of the best natural athletes I've ever seen, Mr Basketball in Ohio in 2000. My high school's basketball team took Dayton Christian to overtime in the state tournament his senior year, but Dayton Christian ended up winning because the refs repeatedly refused to call goaltending on Sato (I think they just had never seen anyone jump that high before).

Sato played four years at Xavier and was a key player on their Elite Eight team in his senior year. He was drafted by the Spurs almost purely based on his talent, but he never really developed the talent and had a decent career in Europe as a complementary piece on some good teams.

RE: Local Recruits 2024 - doss2 - 11-17-2021 03:06 PM

Jerry Faust supposedly rented a house he owned in the Moeller district to the Francisco family that provided Hiawatha and D'Juan Francisco.

There were tales of Massillon recruiting players by getting parents jobs and moving them to Massillon.

RE: Local Recruits 2024 - QSECOFR - 11-17-2021 03:42 PM

The school I attended recruited heavily. Public school that didn’t lose a league game for close to 10 years.

RE: Local Recruits 2024 - Cat_Litter - 11-17-2021 03:45 PM

I remember the Franciso bros, I went to a game to see Moeller play the largest high school in the area here (Toledo Whitmer) and that Hiawatha guy ran all over the Whitmer defense, it was probably the early 80's? He was something to see.

(11-17-2021 03:06 PM)doss2 Wrote:  

Jerry Faust supposedly rented a house he owned in the Moeller district to the Francisco family that provided Hiawatha and D'Juan Francisco.

There were tales of Massillon recruiting players by getting parents jobs and moving them to Massillon.

RE: Local Recruits 2024 - BearcatMan - 11-17-2021 04:02 PM

(11-17-2021 03:42 PM)QSECOFR Wrote:  The school I attended recruited heavily. Public school that didn’t lose a league game for close to 10 years.

Oh yeah, it happens everywhere. There have been 4 schools up in the Toledo area who have been hit by it for various issues in multiple sports in the last decade or so.

RE: Local Recruits 2024 - rath v2.0 - 11-17-2021 06:24 PM

Been going on since Moses wore short pants.

RE: Local Recruits 2024 - cincy7718 - 11-17-2021 07:37 PM

(11-17-2021 03:06 PM)doss2 Wrote:  

The number of different rumors about the Francisco’s and the depth of these rumors are always entertaining. They’re also always false lol. Btw the GCL didn’t have districts at that time. Nor could a coach at an upstart catholic school afford extra houses in those days!

RE: Local Recruits 2024 - QSECOFR - 11-17-2021 08:15 PM

(11-17-2021 06:24 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Been going on since Moses wore short pants.

Hey! I remember him! Nice, young guy.

RE: Local Recruits 2024 - ZCat - 12-15-2021 07:27 PM

Geez
High school rule books are also a headache like NCAA.
They said that Princeton Coach no longer works there. He basically was let go because of this it sounds like.
Head coach is Someone else - Andre Parker. I thought the formet bearcat football player was the head coach there. Or is he an assistant? I hope he wasn’t involved in this because I like having a contact at that school. At every top high school.

RE: Local Recruits 2024 - nachoman91 - 12-17-2021 09:16 AM

(12-15-2021 07:27 PM)ZCat Wrote:  

Geez
They said that Princeton Coach no longer works there. He basically was let go because of this it sounds like.
Head coach is Someone else - Andre Parker. I thought the formet bearcat football player was the head coach there. Or is he an assistant? I hope he wasn’t involved in this because I like having a contact at that school. At every top high school.

You're thinking of Mike Daniels. He left Princeton to take a job on the Army football staff. It was something like recruiting coordinator. I was shocked that the time cause that move never felt like a step up. I would have thought he could have landed as a position coach somewhere like UC or Miami.

RE: Local Recruits 2024 - doss2 - 12-17-2021 10:39 AM

(12-17-2021 09:16 AM)nachoman91 Wrote:  
(12-15-2021 07:27 PM)ZCat Wrote:  

Geez

You're thinking of Mike Daniels. He left Princeton to take a job on the Army football staff. It was something like recruiting coordinator. I was shocked that the time cause that move never felt like a step up. I would have thought he could have landed as a position coach somewhere like UC or Miami.

Slightly over a month after leaving Princeton High School as head football coach, former Cincinnati Bearcat Mike Daniels is leaving his recruiting director job at Army to become running backs coach at Akron. The move was first reported by Football Scoop and writer John Brice.