CSNbbs
Game Week: WMU (Senior Day) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Eastern Michigan (/forum-478.html)
+----- Thread: Game Week: WMU (Senior Day) (/thread-935002.html)

Pages: 1 2

Game Week: WMU (Senior Day) - emu steve - 11-10-2021 07:02 AM

The sun has risen on the east coast. Assume it will rise in MI but in Ypsi?

Once again the MAC is proving to be a well balanced conference which translates to what we've seen the last two weeks. https://www.espn.com/college-football/standings

In the MAC West everyone has 2, 3 or 4 (NIU) conference wins. That is balance.

Maybe look at the conference points for and points against for EMU and WMU. The points for are almost equal and our points against are less than WMU's. That should scare the WMU DC. Lol.

Win a road game where we were 'dogs and lose one, at home, which we were favored.

So we're 6 - 4 (3 - 3) and probably headed for a 7 - 5 record.

If the odds makers make us a favorite Tuesday, I'll bet on Western. If they make Western the favorite, I'll bet on Western. JUST KIDDING.

The odds makers were right on the points last night. Exactly right. They called 60 or 60.5 points (the half point is to prevent ties).

[Okay it is day 1, week 2 of MACtion, 2021.

The line seems to have dropped a point: Line: EMU -6.0
O/U: 60 ]

Also seems that when point spread on a team drops a point, that bettors are going the other way, i.e., more late money on Ohio. Maybe they figured out that we win when we should lose and lose when...

Odds makers know more about sports than pollsters about elections.

RE: Game Week: WMU (Senior Day) - emu steve - 11-10-2021 09:40 AM

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/ypsilanti/48197/daily-weather-forecast/338814

RE: Game Week: WMU (Senior Day) - steve4840 - 11-10-2021 10:41 AM

Have to split the next two to secure a bowl berth. In order to do that I think 2 things need to happen and I am hoping they do.

1. the O-line needs to block better allowing us to chew some clock on the ground and take the pressure off of Bryant and the receivers. Through 10 games, we are averaging 3.3 yards per carry which is tied for last in the MAC. Down 2 starters on the line, I get it but this group looked great early in the season and now......

2. More importantly.....I doubt defensive scheme randomly changes by next week but some coach watching film has to look at our defensive scheme and players and be angry enough to make a change. I'm not expecting a shut-out defense, but where are the play-makers with this group. I swear, I just hope for holding calls on the offense to bail this group and coach out.

Go Eagles. Let's get this W.

RE: Game Week: WMU (Senior Day) - emu steve - 11-12-2021 05:26 AM

Once again ESPN seems to love us more than we love ourselves.

We get ESPN2 albeit 30 minutes earlier.

Media darlings.

RE: Game Week: WMU (Senior Day) - dansplaining - 11-12-2021 08:10 AM

(11-12-2021 05:26 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Once again ESPN seems to love us more than we love ourselves.

Media darlings.

we may not win as many games as we think we should - but at least were fun to watch

RE: Game Week: WMU (Senior Day) - Jerry Weaver - 11-12-2021 06:07 PM

(11-12-2021 08:10 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  
(11-12-2021 05:26 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Once again ESPN seems to love us more than we love ourselves.

Media darlings.

we may not win as many games as we think we should - but at least were fun to watch

Dan I think we all can be disappointed that for three consecutive seasons we have had chronic defensive issues and I for one have seen little remedial action.

You are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT, however, when you point out that EMU does play an exciting brand of football that is fun to watch, unlike our MBB team of the past ten years. I and many tend to take that for granted, thanks for pointing it out.

Actually I am very surprised that perennially poor performing programs in the FBS like Rutgers, Vanderbilt, EMU, Kansas, etc... have not taken the route Georgia Tech did years ago. Hire a coach versed in the veer or wishbone offense, recruit bulky but slow offensive lineman and multiple fleet QB's like Grissom and Jackson. That option offense would be unlikely to win a championship or be fun to watch but it would probably yield a .500 record or so year in and year out. Kinda like Rob Murphy. I'll take Creighton's approach.

RE: Game Week: WMU (Senior Day) - emu79 - 11-13-2021 08:27 AM

(11-12-2021 06:07 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  

Media darlings.

Dan I think we all can be disappointed that for three consecutive seasons we have had chronic defensive issues and I for one have seen little remedial action.

You are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT, however, when you point out that EMU does play an exciting brand of football that is fun to watch, unlike our MBB team of the past ten years. I and many tend to take that for granted, thanks for pointing it out.

Actually I am very surprised that perennially poor performing programs in the FBS like Rutgers, Vanderbilt, EMU, Kansas, etc... have not taken the route Georgia Tech did years ago. Hire a coach versed in the veer or wishbone offense, recruit bulky but slow offensive lineman and multiple fleet QB's like Grissom and Jackson. That option offense would be unlikely to win a championship or be fun to watch but it would probably yield a .500 record or so year in and year out. Kinda like Rob Murphy. I'll take Creighton's approach.

Jerry Heath is changing that in basketball.

RE: Game Week: WMU (Senior Day) - emu79 - 11-13-2021 08:50 AM

(11-10-2021 10:41 AM)steve4840 Wrote:  Have to split the next two to secure a bowl berth. In order to do that I think 2 things need to happen and I am hoping they do.

1. the O-line needs to block better allowing us to chew some clock on the ground and take the pressure off of Bryant and the receivers. Through 10 games, we are averaging 3.3 yards per carry which is tied for last in the MAC. Down 2 starters on the line, I get it but this group looked great early in the season and now......

2. More importantly.....I doubt defensive scheme randomly changes by next week but some coach watching film has to look at our defensive scheme and players and be angry enough to make a change. I'm not expecting a shut-out defense, but where are the play-makers with this group. I swear, I just hope for holding calls on the offense to bail this group and coach out.

I agree I don't think OUR 6-6 gets us in. We need to beat WMU and/or CMU or both. Yeah the Ohio U game was a huge let down on defense. I believe we had zero sacks that game. I like the 4-2-5 and going back to the Q Lube pool in 2019 with guys like McGill and Bertram and Hoying. The warning signs were there last year in 2020 that the defense was suspect. We did not bring enough "impact" players to change that narrative. We did however "tune up" our offense with all sorts of transfers on the offensive side of the ball but the offense in 2020 to me at least was the real problem with the team.

RE: Game Week: WMU (Senior Day) - emu steve - 11-13-2021 09:54 AM

(11-13-2021 08:50 AM)emu79 Wrote:  
(11-10-2021 10:41 AM)steve4840 Wrote:  Have to split the next two to secure a bowl berth. In order to do that I think 2 things need to happen and I am hoping they do.

I agree I don't think OUR 6-6 gets us in. We need to beat WMU and/or CMU or both. Yeah the Ohio U game was a huge let down on defense. I believe we had zero sacks that game. I like the 4-2-5 and going back to the Q Lube pool in 2019 with guys like McGill and Bertram and Hoying. The warning signs were there last year in 2020 that the defense was suspect. We did not bring enough "impact" players to change that narrative. We did however "tune up" our offense with all sorts of transfers on the offensive side of the ball but the offense in 2020 to me at least was the real problem with the team.

What I didn't like. It might have been on the last series of the game. Third and a few yards and the LBs were way too far off the line. It was a defense where you could easily expect to get a few yards. It was not goal line, short yardage.

Game Week: WMU (Senior Day) - TheWoodenNickle - 11-13-2021 12:11 PM

We are down to a two-game season. At stake are the Michigan MAC Trophy and possibly a bowl berth. Thinking about it in these terms helps us overcome the bitter pill we swallowed last Tuesday. Just hope we find enough defense to to take the pressure off the offense to score on every drive.

Hassan is #5 the country in receptions. Kinda incredible for a kid that did not even go to college to play football. Ben is #16 in passing yards. Makes me think he's probably starting to get the attention of NFL scouts.

RE: Game Week: WMU (Senior Day) - Luckeyone - 11-13-2021 12:27 PM

(11-13-2021 09:54 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

What I didn't like. It might have been on the last series of the game. Third and a few yards and the LBs were way too far off the line. It was a defense where you could easily expect to get a few yards. It was not goal line, short yardage.

I noticed too that during short yardage situations, our LBs are 5-6 yards from LOS. SMH

RE: Game Week: WMU (Senior Day) - dansplaining - 11-13-2021 12:46 PM

(11-12-2021 06:07 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  

Media darlings.

if you arent going to be good - at least be fun

RE: Game Week: WMU (Senior Day) - Sellers dweller - 11-13-2021 01:22 PM

Now that the MAC-west is out of the picture it is time to focus on making sure we get to a bowl game. With the MAC having 8 bowl bids this year we are very likely already in a bowl. The maximum amount of MAC teams that could still be bowl eligible is 9, so it would be great to get to at least 7-5 and really lock it in. It would suck to be 6-6 and be the MAC team left out if there are 9 eligible teams. One team to keep an eye on is Buffalo, with one more loss they are out of the running for a bowl meaning there would be 8 teams for the 8 spots and we are in. So we want as few MAC teams eligible and the teams that are eligible to be 6-6. Here is who we should be rooting for in this weeks games:

Tuesday's games

WMU@EMU:...duh

Toledo@Ohio: Ohio. With Toledo at 5-5 it would be nice to knock them out or at least finish 6-6.

BGSU@Miami-OH: Bowling Green. Miami is also 5-5 so it would be nice for them to go down for the same reasons as Toledo

Wednesday's games

NIU@Buffalo: NIU, for the reason stated above.

CMU@BSU: CMU. Kind of a tough call, but CMU is already bowl eligible (although it would be nice to get them to 6-6), but for Ball State they still have a shot to finish 5-7, so we'll go with CMU for now.

Saturday's game

KSU@Akron: Akron. Kent State is 5-5 so want them to go down like Miami and Toledo.

RE: Game Week: WMU (Senior Day) - Jerry Weaver - 11-13-2021 07:18 PM

Cogent post for sure!

In fact 2019 should have been a warning shot regarding our defense. McGill was a shutdown coverage corner but a poor tackler unlike Hoying or Calhoun in the past. Beltran while far better than what we have today, was not Rachwal, Beck or Spearman. The 2019 defense started the decline to what we have now.

I'm watching OSU vs Purdue right now and the Buckeyes have scored 50+ points but have given up over 30, that ain't gonna get it done if they want to win a National Championship against a SEC team. Ryan Day will probably realize that and emphasize defensive recruiting or be the ex-Buckeye coach soon.

Exactly as you have said, Chris did a great job with the offense, it was MAC Champ quality. Now it is time to adjust and focus on the defense.

RE: Game Week: WMU (Senior Day) - holybovine - 11-14-2021 11:09 AM

We aren’t beating CMU in Mount Pleasant. We’d best take care of business on Tuesday.

RE: Game Week: WMU (Senior Day) - EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's - 11-14-2021 12:48 PM

(11-14-2021 11:09 AM)holybovine Wrote:  We aren’t beating CMU in Mount Pleasant. We’d best take care of business on Tuesday.
This next game is the biggest game in CC 8 seasons! I honestly thought 8-4 was attainable considering our easy OOC schedule! St Francis( FCS),Texas St, and UMASS they've a combined 4-16 record! But, 7-5 and a 4-4 MAC record, and a bowl game isn't that bad at all, but 6-6, and 3-5, and possibly not a bowl game with this schedule in year EIGHT is a total failure! CC needs to play anyone on defense who can make a tackle!

RE: Game Week: WMU (Senior Day) - dansplaining - 11-14-2021 08:51 PM

(11-14-2021 11:09 AM)holybovine Wrote:  We aren’t beating CMU in Mount Pleasant. We’d best take care of business on Tuesday.

i dunno man - we did go down to toledo and win

RE: Game Week: WMU (Senior Day) - EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's - 11-14-2021 09:14 PM

(11-14-2021 08:51 PM)dansplaining Wrote:  

Yes, we did beat Toledo, and everything fell in our direction! 1 second or they would've scored at the end of the half, a dropped punt, and A 10 yd punt! We gave up 676 yds and won, that happens very seldom, but it did, and yes we did win! It's sooooo frustrating, because the offense is very good, and the defense is mindboggling bad! CC, needs to sign 3 LB, and 3 DL..........We continue to sign WR, and DB! Let’s beat W Mich, and then this season will be a step forward! Everyone on this board wants the exact same thing, A MAC championship!

RE: Game Week: WMU (Senior Day) - emu steve - 11-14-2021 10:41 PM

Line: WMU -5.0
O/U: 68

Per ESPN.

RE: Game Week: WMU (Senior Day) - dansplaining - 11-15-2021 08:07 AM

(11-14-2021 09:14 PM)EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s Wrote:  
(11-14-2021 08:51 PM)dansplaining Wrote:  

Yes, we did beat Toledo, and everything fell in our direction! 1 second or they would've scored at the end of the half, a dropped punt, and A 10 yd punt! We gave up 676 yds and won, that happens very seldom, but it did, and yes we did win! It's sooooo frustrating, because the offense is very good, and the defense is mindboggling bad! CC, needs to sign 3 LB, and 3 DL..........We continue to sign WR, and DB! Let’s beat W Mich, and then this season will be a step forward! Everyone on this board wants the exact same thing, A MAC championship!

ifs and buts man - we scored more points in a great game.