CSNbbs
Happy for Liberty and New Mexico State - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+----- Forum: CUSA Realignment (/forum-1015.html)
+----- Thread: Happy for Liberty and New Mexico State (/thread-934893.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Happy for Liberty and New Mexico State - TroyTBoy - 11-09-2021 10:11 AM

I'm especially excited for Liberty and NMSU fans, and how they get to tell their story in a solid Conference USA.
Independence is tough and they weathered that storm to ultimately make CUSA better.
Conference USA has a gritty set of bookends.
The NMSU-UTEP rivalry (especially in basketball) is going to elevate CUSA hoops. It's awesome to see, especially now that apparently the WKU-MTSU rivalry will add more flavor to a very nice hoops league.
Liberty is going to push everyone. Perhaps no other school fits as perfectly with the CUSA name than Liberty.
The conference has great identity going forward.
The best part is now these schools have the reward of making something bigger. They took on the challenge of staying viable through independence and they won.
Sure, there is work to be done but the identity and nucleus is there. Their success is a testament to the ideals contained in the conference brand.

RE: Happy for Liberty and New Mexico State - wkufirst - 11-09-2021 10:17 AM

(11-09-2021 10:11 AM)TroyTBoy Wrote:  I'm especially excited for Liberty and NMSU fans, and how they get to tell their story in a solid Conference USA.
Independence is tough and they weathered that storm to ultimately make CUSA better.
The NMSU-UTEP rivalry (especially in basketball) is going to elevate CUSA hoops. It's awesome to see, especially now that apparently the WKU-MTSU rivalry will add more flavor to a very nice hoops league.
Liberty is going to push everyone. Perhaps no other school fits as perfectly with the CUSA name than Liberty.
The best part is now these schools have the reward of making something bigger. They took on the challenge of staying viable through independence and they won.
Sure, there is work to be done but the identity and nucleus is there. Their success is a testament to the ideals contained in the conference brand.

I’m happy for MTSU. I hope they rot.

RE: Happy for Liberty and New Mexico State - HiddenDragon - 11-09-2021 10:35 AM

It wasn't MTSU responsibility to save WKU. I think in the long run both programs will be thankful for not going to the MAC, especially MTSU.

RE: Happy for Liberty and New Mexico State - monarx - 11-09-2021 10:55 AM

Im happiest for UTEP and NMSU. I think they make out the best. I dont think Liberty makes much sense at all now that Marshall and ODU are gone. But if they're happy, and the rest of the conference doesnt mind playing at a disadvantage financially (which translates into facilities, recruiting etc), then so be it. The only ones I feel bad for are FIU, WKU and LaTech.

RE: Happy for Liberty and New Mexico State - All4One - 11-09-2021 11:11 AM

(11-09-2021 10:55 AM)monarx Wrote:  Im happiest for UTEP and NMSU. I think they make out the best. I dont think Liberty makes much sense at all now that Marshall and ODU are gone. But if they're happy, and the rest of the conference doesnt mind playing at a disadvantage financially (which translates into facilities, recruiting etc), then so be it. The only ones I feel bad for are FIU, WKU and LaTech.

Say it with me. Old Dominion is Liberty's b****. You'll feel better when you recognize the truth.

http://www.winsipedia.com/games/old-dominion/vs/liberty

RE: Happy for Liberty and New Mexico State - Ewglenn - 11-09-2021 11:24 AM

(11-09-2021 10:17 AM)wkufirst Wrote:  
(11-09-2021 10:11 AM)TroyTBoy Wrote:  I'm especially excited for Liberty and NMSU fans, and how they get to tell their story in a solid Conference USA.

Glad to see some saltiness from our friends up north. Should make our rivalry more heated lol.

RE: Happy for Liberty and New Mexico State - freshtop - 11-09-2021 11:28 AM

(11-09-2021 11:24 AM)Ewglenn Wrote:  

Glad to see some saltiness from our friends up north. Should make our rivalry more heated lol.

Might make it more heated. Might end it all together eventually. I can't imagine our administrations will be arm in arm on realignment going forward after this.

RE: Happy for Liberty and New Mexico State - Curtisc83 - 11-09-2021 11:31 AM

(11-09-2021 11:28 AM)freshtop Wrote:  

Might make it more heated. Might end it all together eventually. I can't imagine our administrations will be arm in arm on realignment going forward after this.

Might be a good idea not to be locked to a team arm and arm in the long run.

RE: Happy for Liberty and New Mexico State - All4One - 11-09-2021 11:33 AM

(11-09-2021 11:28 AM)freshtop Wrote:  

You should write a letter to the MAC presidents asking why your school wasn't good enough for their conference.

RE: Happy for Liberty and New Mexico State - Herdforlife - 11-09-2021 11:35 AM

Knowing that Marshall will not have to travel to New Mexico I am very excited about the New Mexico St add. UTEP vs New Mexico St could be CUSA’s biggest game and will be one I will tune in for. Keeping WKU and MTSU is huge, another big rivalry. I think Liberty, WKU and MTSU trio will produce a lot of fun games. I think La Tech and FIU are still missing games to truly get excited about. Sam Houston St and Jacksonville St may be good adds, but who are they to build rivalries with?

RE: Happy for Liberty and New Mexico State - farmfanucdgrad - 11-09-2021 11:38 AM

(11-09-2021 10:55 AM)monarx Wrote:  Im happiest for UTEP and NMSU. I think they make out the best. I dont think Liberty makes much sense at all now that Marshall and ODU are gone. But if they're happy, and the rest of the conference doesnt mind playing at a disadvantage financially (which translates into facilities, recruiting etc), then so be it. The only ones I feel bad for are FIU, WKU and LaTech.

I think that Liberty is going to force everyone else to step up as a result. I'm thinking like how Marshall forced the entire MAC to step up their competition level in football (1997 to 2003) except that Liberty will do this in every sport and with overwhelming facility, recruiting and financial resources. It will 100% be better for the conference and everyone will naturally despise Liberty for it. Liberty will become the Darth Vader of CUSA. It's win/win.

RE: Happy for Liberty and New Mexico State - Ewglenn - 11-09-2021 11:41 AM

(11-09-2021 11:35 AM)Herdforlife Wrote:  Knowing that Marshall will not have to travel to New Mexico I am very excited about the New Mexico St add. UTEP vs New Mexico St could be CUSA’s biggest game and will be one I will tune in for. Keeping WKU and MTSU is huge, another big rivalry. I think Liberty, WKU and MTSU trio will produce a lot of fun games. I think La Tech and FIU are still missing games to truly get excited about. Sam Houston St and Jacksonville St may be good adds, but who are they to build rivalries with?

I imagine JSU and MTSU will heat up pretty quick because of proximity. We’re only about 200 miles away so we should be able to travel back and forth.

RE: Happy for Liberty and New Mexico State - sstaedtler88 - 11-09-2021 11:41 AM

Liberty was in a tough spot. The rest of their programs were stuck in the Atlantic Sun. Basketball especially was suffering for this. So the move to CUSA massively helps their other sports. As for football, independence suddenly did not seem sustainable when teams went to bigger conferences as there would be less out of conference games available. There also were not bowl tie ins, only secondary agreements, and no conference championship game. The path to be in the final 12 had to go through a conference. Granted, would Liberty rather Marshall, ODU, and JMU stayed in CUSA? Yes. But ultimately, Liberty has wanted a conference for many years.

RE: Happy for Liberty and New Mexico State - JCMiner - 11-09-2021 11:43 AM

If only ODU and Marshall would have voted yes for them.

RE: Happy for Liberty and New Mexico State - Curtisc83 - 11-09-2021 11:43 AM

(11-09-2021 11:41 AM)Ewglenn Wrote:  
(11-09-2021 11:35 AM)Herdforlife Wrote:  Knowing that Marshall will not have to travel to New Mexico I am very excited about the New Mexico St add. UTEP vs New Mexico St could be CUSA’s biggest game and will be one I will tune in for. Keeping WKU and MTSU is huge, another big rivalry. I think Liberty, WKU and MTSU trio will produce a lot of fun games. I think La Tech and FIU are still missing games to truly get excited about. Sam Houston St and Jacksonville St may be good adds, but who are they to build rivalries with?

I imagine JSU and MTSU will heat up pretty quick because of proximity. We’re only about 200 miles away so we should be able to travel back and forth.

WKU could hate MTSU even more because MTSU didn't allow them to be hundred thousand nares in a dead end conference that rhymes with TACK.

RE: Happy for Liberty and New Mexico State - Curtisc83 - 11-09-2021 11:45 AM

(11-09-2021 11:41 AM)sstaedtler88 Wrote:  

Liberty was in a tough spot. The rest of their programs were stuck in the Atlantic Sun. Basketball especially was suffering for this. So the move to CUSA massively helps their other sports. As for football, independence suddenly did not seem sustainable when teams went to bigger conferences as there would be less out of conference games available. There also were not bowl tie ins, only secondary agreements, and no conference championship game. The path to be in the final 12 had to go through a conference. Granted, would Liberty rather Marshall, ODU, and JMU stayed in CUSA? Yes. But ultimately, Liberty has wanted a conference for many years.

CUSA logo on the FB field would look better than no logo. So that's a big upside.

RE: Happy for Liberty and New Mexico State - monarx - 11-09-2021 11:47 AM

(11-09-2021 11:38 AM)farmfanucdgrad Wrote:  

I think that Liberty is going to force everyone else to step up as a result. I'm thinking like how Marshall forced the entire MAC to step up their competition level in football (1997 to 2003) except that Liberty will do this in every sport and with overwhelming facility, recruiting and financial resources. It will 100% be better for the conference and everyone will naturally despise Liberty for it. Liberty will become the Darth Vader of CUSA. It's win/win.

Perhaps. I was hoping for LU and JMU to get invited to CUSA when Marshall and ODU were still in it. Their sports are currently having a nice run and they'll compete in CUSA from the start. I just hate that they're an outlier geographically, and that they have financial advantage over the state schools. I dont think there is much the other CUSA teams can do to raise their game as a result of LU. Its not like they can start massive open enrollment online programs and funnel all of that student loan money into athletic facilities and coaches salaries. There are laws against it for state schools. Good on LU for it, its not illegal for them. But I think the other teams will start to resent it. I know for a fact an AD at another conference (not a CUSA related school) said they'd never want to be in a league with LU for that reason. Nothing to do with religion or politics, it was all about the uneven financial playing field. I fully expect the Flames will do very well in CUSA, but they wont like being there very long. I have lots of friends who are alumni of their on campus program, and most of them would have preferred to remain independent. Especially without Marshall, ODU and JMU in the league.

RE: Happy for Liberty and New Mexico State - monarx - 11-09-2021 11:51 AM

(11-09-2021 11:43 AM)JCMiner Wrote:  

My understanding is that both schools actually lobbied hard for Liberty (and JMU) and it was other (unknown to me) CUSA schools that voted no. Once that happened Marshall said "we're outta here" which started the dominos falling of ODU following and JMU following.

RE: Happy for Liberty and New Mexico State - Curtisc83 - 11-09-2021 11:54 AM

(11-09-2021 11:51 AM)monarx Wrote:  

My understanding is that both schools actually lobbied hard for Liberty (and JMU) and it was other (unknown to me) CUSA schools that voted no. Once that happened Marshall said "we're outta here" which started the dominos falling of ODU following and JMU following.

And after yall left we had the votes to join?

RE: Happy for Liberty and New Mexico State - JCMiner - 11-09-2021 11:54 AM

(11-09-2021 11:51 AM)monarx Wrote:  

My understanding is the opposite. As soon as Marshall and ODU left we were able to get the votes needed for Liberty to join.