CSNbbs
Giving Challenge - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Giving Challenge (/thread-933717.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Giving Challenge - BSKB 24 - 10-29-2021 11:28 AM

For years we have been hearing many, many posters on here say they would either start to give to athletics if we moved up or greatly increase the amount they would give.

I challenge you who have so stated this to share with us what you are now going to give compared to what you were doing. I'm really curious to see if it was all bluster or if it indeed was serious . Sunbelt, here we come! Some of us have been giving a fair amount for years, It will be nice to have a lot of new donors and current donors who up their game.

RE: Giving Challenge - DirtyDukes - 10-29-2021 11:33 AM

I pledge one million doll hairs

RE: Giving Challenge - Polish Hammer - 10-29-2021 11:46 AM

(10-29-2021 11:28 AM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  For years we have been hearing many, many posters on here say they would either start to give to athletics if we moved up or greatly increase the amount they would give.

I challenge you who have so stated this to share with us what you are now going to give compared to what you were doing. I'm really curious to see if it was all bluster or if it indeed was serious . CUSA here we come! Some of us have been giving a fair amount for years, It will be nice to have a lot of new donors and current donors who up their game.
Huh?
01-wingedeagle

RE: Giving Challenge - olddawg - 10-29-2021 11:50 AM

C-USA???
"Forget it, he's rolling"

RE: Giving Challenge - bcp_jmu - 10-29-2021 12:16 PM

i'm giving and upping it...not disclosing $$ tho

RE: Giving Challenge - DukeQuin - 10-29-2021 12:37 PM

I'd stopped giving when we moved away from Virginia. Starting again and giving monthly so it'll add up to a decent amount per year.

RE: Giving Challenge - itGoesJMU - 10-29-2021 12:40 PM

I'm bumping up my donation.

More importantly I want to know if @Purplehazed is going to make good on their promise to @jmusuperfan and @deez from 2015. You guys are owed a donation of a few drinks!

https://csnbbs.com/thread-735870-post-12014042.html#pid12014042

RE: Giving Challenge - olddawg - 10-29-2021 12:40 PM

We need our own version of Clemson's "IPTAY" (I'll pay ten a year). The idea was to ask for a reasonable yearly contribution so they'd get more people on board. They made it a badge of honor to be a member. It was started during The Depression after a humiliating loss to The Citadel. They had a very tangible goal- to fund scholarships for all sports so they could be successful. People bought into the idea and took pride in it.
https://iptaycuad.com/iptay-closes-2021-year-with-record-76-3m-in-contributions/

RE: Giving Challenge - jmufan2008 - 10-29-2021 12:48 PM

The second it becomes official next Friday I'll probably double my donation. I had lowered my donation a bit closer to the minimum threshold for D-lot, but will probably move back up to Silver level or at least close. Small potatoes, but every bit counts.

RE: Giving Challenge - 2Buck - 10-29-2021 01:12 PM

I make 2 pledges: one is to more than double my donation, moving up at least one level.

The other is to never again accuse Alger of lacking man berries.

RE: Giving Challenge - Dadgum - 10-29-2021 01:16 PM

My check will have a comma in it.

RE: Giving Challenge - KickItToScotty - 10-29-2021 01:19 PM

(10-29-2021 12:16 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  i'm giving and upping it...not disclosing $$ tho

Ditto, and while I'm not a big fish or anything I hope there are lots of people willing to bump up or start donating whatever they can even if it's not a ton. Those will add up, and hopefully this move does reel in some big fish as well.

RE: Giving Challenge - Dukes1825 - 10-29-2021 01:24 PM

Told myself last week that if this happens I’ll up my donation. As soon as the dust settles I’ll call to make a donation before the typical one in the spring. Also told myself I’d increase football season tickets from 2 to 4.

RE: Giving Challenge - DoubleDogDare - 10-29-2021 01:29 PM

I cut my donations by ~90% in 2015. It wasn't solely bc we didn't go FBS/Sun Belt around that time but I did express a concern that we weren't moving forward fast enough and that our peers were no longer our peers (ODU and App State specifically mentioned). It was also partially due to me no longer getting football season tickets.

I gave just enough in 2015 to not lose my consecutive years giving point. I've upped my annual donation a couple times over the last few years, but my 2020 donation was still lower than the 2015 amount.

I too was going to wait until an official FBS announcement; however, JMU has done everything they can to go FBS as of the BOV meeting today. If something falls through next week with the GA, I can live with the fact it likely wasn't JMU's fault.

I went ahead and doubled my 2015 donation amount today. It is exactly what I said I would do in two JMU surveys regarding the topic a handful of years ago and in an email to Bourne a few years ago.

RE: Giving Challenge - Hart Foundation - 10-29-2021 01:47 PM

This will be an interesting thread to see who honors their word and who is a blowhard.
I’m sure JMU will come out with some formal giving incentive program and a specific goal to fund the FBS transition as well as new annual costs i.e. paying for Cignetti’s raise once JMU is FBS.

I’m just as interested to see how many new donors we get who have been reluctant because in their mind JMU plays “DII” football. Open up your wallet big-timers. No more excuses now. Stop supporting and attending games at programs like UVA and Va Tech when your degree is from JMU.
Step 1 - end JMU alumni status as Walmart fans for FBS football teams
Step 2 - attract new Walmart fans to JMU who have no connection with the school

RE: Giving Challenge - Polish Hammer - 10-29-2021 02:09 PM

(10-29-2021 01:47 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  This will be an interesting thread to see who honors their word and who is a blowhard.
I’m sure JMU will come out with some formal giving incentive program and a specific goal to fund the FBS transition as well as new annual costs i.e. paying for Cignetti’s raise once JMU is FBS.

I’m just as interested to see how many new donors we get who have been reluctant because in their mind JMU plays “DII” football. Open up your wallet big-timers. No more excuses now. Stop supporting and attending games at programs like UVA and Va Tech when your degree is from JMU.
Step 1 - end JMU alumni status as Walmart fans for FBS football teams
Step 2 - attract new Walmart fans to JMU who have no connection with the school
Epic Applause

RE: Giving Challenge - JMU2004 - 10-29-2021 02:17 PM

I'm definitely upping my donation by a lot and picking up another ticket.

RE: Giving Challenge - Dukes94 - 10-29-2021 02:28 PM

Okay, I'm in, and I'll bare my soul. Judge me or don't.

I've never given a penny to JMU in the more than 27 years since I graduated. I've spent a little money at the bookstore and attended some football games, but that's it.

I just joined the Duke Club at the $50 level.

Thanks to those who can and do give more.

RE: Giving Challenge - JMU_Rocks! - 10-29-2021 02:33 PM

Always want to keep up front - increases to JMU is critical, rather than moving from academics to athletics for instance.

I am looking forward to attending a CoB - OneBoard meeting next Friday and getting a first hand view of the new CoB building. There are plenty of great things happening all over campus all of the time. The conference affiliation and impending R2 classification fit well with the 'National University' narrative. It will take sustained funding and alumni engagement to increase the momentum we continue to build.

RE: Giving Challenge - jmu98 - 10-29-2021 02:37 PM

Agree with JMU Rocks! Looking to update my donation to Duke Club, but seriously considering donating a good sized gift for the scholarship fund announced last week for JMU in general. This is as a direct result of this move that I am even entertaining it as we are still paying off the AUBC donation.