CSNbbs
Isn't a Duke under a Monarch? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Isn't a Duke under a Monarch? (/thread-933700.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Isn't a Duke under a Monarch? - MUther - 10-29-2021 08:31 AM

just sayin'

RE: Isn't a Duke under a Monarch? - mturn017 - 10-29-2021 08:32 AM

Lesser nobility for sure

RE: Isn't a Duke under a Monarch? - ericsaid - 10-29-2021 08:45 AM

And they were all expelled by Rebels...

In Las Vegas

Or Minutmen in Massachussetts.

RE: Isn't a Duke under a Monarch? - DirtyDukes - 10-29-2021 09:27 AM

While our mascot wears the vestiges of royalty due to his breeding, Dukes comes from our former President Samuel P Duke after he allowed the school to form athletic teams. James Madison hated royalty - "sic semper tyrannis"

RE: Isn't a Duke under a Monarch? - ODUalum78 - 10-29-2021 09:48 AM

So, what you are really saying is that we need a program that has a penguin as a mascot....

http://richleebruce.com/media/noble.html

02-13-banana

RE: Isn't a Duke under a Monarch? - Dirty Myrtle - 10-29-2021 09:52 AM

well JMU is named for a Founding Father, so I'd say everything royalty related up to and including King and Queen all fall under him. That was settled circa 1776-1780.

RE: Isn't a Duke under a Monarch? - AppfanInCAAland - 10-29-2021 11:33 AM

I think a duke is a type of monarch. As in: emperors, kings, dukes, princes are all types of monarchs. I dont believe monarch is a synonym of king.

But what do I know, I'm an America and my ancestors fled that ridiculous silliness.

RE: Isn't a Duke under a Monarch? - ericsaid - 10-29-2021 11:40 AM

(10-29-2021 09:52 AM)Dirty Myrtle Wrote:  well JMU is named for a Founding Father, so I'd say everything royalty related up to and including King and Queen all fall under him. That was settled circa 1776-1780.

The battle between England and English Settlements (plus the Kingdom of the Netherlands, Franks, French, Spanish, etc.) began in the 1600's and continues to this day, I believe.

You see a desire to return to a European style of government everywhere and people largely ignore the rest.'

Anyway...[/align]

RE: Isn't a Duke under a Monarch? - ericsaid - 10-29-2021 11:41 AM

(10-29-2021 11:33 AM)AppfanInCAAland Wrote:  I think a duke is a type of monarch. As in: emperors, kings, dukes, princes are all types of monarchs. I dont believe monarch is a synonym of king.

But what do I know, I'm an America and my ancestors fled that ridiculous silliness.

As did mine. From both the Netherlands and Southern England....and Sicily shortly after reunification and just prior to fascism...

I been running my whole life...

RE: Isn't a Duke under a Monarch? - Cyniclone - 10-29-2021 11:45 AM

Except during reverse cowgirl, but we never let them do that

Isn't a Duke under a Monarch? - APPdiesel - 10-29-2021 11:53 AM

(10-29-2021 09:27 AM)DirtyDukes Wrote:  While our mascot wears the vestiges of royalty due to his breeding, Dukes comes from our former President Samuel P Duke after he allowed the school to form athletic teams. James Madison hated royalty - "sic semper tyrannis"

John Wilkes Booth would like to have a word with you about your quote attribution.

RE: Isn't a Duke under a Monarch? - DirtyDukes - 10-29-2021 11:58 AM

(10-29-2021 11:53 AM)APPdiesel Wrote:  
(10-29-2021 09:27 AM)DirtyDukes Wrote:  While our mascot wears the vestiges of royalty due to his breeding, Dukes comes from our former President Samuel P Duke after he allowed the school to form athletic teams. James Madison hated royalty - "sic semper tyrannis"

John Wilkes Booth would like to have a word with you about your quote attribution.

Sorry, I didn't mean to apply that quote to Jemmie, but it is the state of VA motto. Meaning ODU is inherently anti-Virginian and anti-Americna.

Booth may have the most famous utterance of it but he certainly can't claim its provenance.

RE: Isn't a Duke under a Monarch? - moonshine - 10-29-2021 12:09 PM

This match-up will be referred to as, "Game of Thrones", winner takes the crown!

RE: Isn't a Duke under a Monarch? - bcp_jmu - 10-29-2021 06:26 PM

^ Liking it ^

RE: Isn't a Duke under a Monarch? - mturn017 - 10-29-2021 06:57 PM

(10-29-2021 12:09 PM)moonshine Wrote:  This match-up will be referred to as, "Game of Thrones", winner takes the crown!

Yes. Love it.

Bend the Knee Dukes

[Image: E19-CF35-A-6-B0-B-4-D2-D-923-B-3-AF05-C980-AA3.gif]

RE: Isn't a Duke under a Monarch? - MUther - 10-30-2021 09:56 AM

I believe the Duke is part of the Monarchy, but the Monarch is the head of that chain, be it a king or whatever.

You guys will be a fun rivalry and ODU posters are hilariously relentless at egging on their prey. They have created rivalries out of nothing with team across the country in games no one cares about, really. Now they have a team next door to motivate them. Entertaining is an understatement. That above all is why I value ODU. They tried with us but we were too busy being full of ourselves and resenting being in a conference with move-ups to notice and it became more bitter than fun. I hope being here as a fresh start will change that fan relationship as we chose to come here together, rather than having it forced on us.

But I have noticed the relationship with UTEP and LaTech and MTSU that the ODU fans cultivated and I'd like that for JMU and us. Just have to look past some of the elitist MU fans. The vast majority of us are happy to be here, have wanted this a long time, and have a sense of humor. If it wasn't for the Civil War we'd all be in the same state anyway.

RE: Isn't a Duke under a Monarch? - mturn017 - 10-30-2021 10:29 AM

(10-30-2021 09:56 AM)MUther Wrote:  I believe the Duke is part of the Monarchy, but the Monarch is the head of that chain, be it a king or whatever.

You guys will be a fun rivalry and ODU posters are hilariously relentless at egging on their prey. They have created rivalries out of nothing with team across the country in games no one cares about, really. Now they have a team next door to motivate them. Entertaining is an understatement. That above all is why I value ODU. They tried with us but we were too busy being full of ourselves and resenting being in a conference with move-ups to notice and it became more bitter than fun. I hope being here as a fresh start will change that fan relationship as we chose to come here together, rather than having it forced on us.

But I have noticed the relationship with UTEP and LaTech and MTSU that the ODU fans cultivated and I'd like that for JMU and us. Just have to look past some of the elitist MU fans. The vast majority of us are happy to be here, have wanted this a long time, and have a sense of humor. If it wasn't for the Civil War we'd all be in the same state anyway.

It’ll be nice to have rivalries that should be able to develop naturally and carry beyond just message board fans. We definitely had some heat develop on the hardcourt. Football series is pretty lopsided

RE: Isn't a Duke under a Monarch? - ThunderDent - 10-30-2021 10:34 AM

(10-29-2021 09:52 AM)Dirty Myrtle Wrote:  well JMU is named for a Founding Father, so I'd say everything royalty related up to and including King and Queen all fall under him. That was settled circa 1776-1780.

Maybe we should start a Founding Fathers conference. ?

James Madison
(Chief Justice John) Marshall
George Washington
UVA (Jefferson founded)
Penn
Franklin & Marshall

Etc. add on to the list.

RE: Isn't a Duke under a Monarch? - ODU AGGIE - 10-30-2021 10:42 AM

The answer to the question is: Yes! Always have been and always will be! Cheers, Dookies! 04-cheers

RE: Isn't a Duke under a Monarch? - ODU BBALL - 10-30-2021 11:33 AM

(10-29-2021 11:58 AM)DirtyDukes Wrote:  
(10-29-2021 11:53 AM)APPdiesel Wrote:  

Sorry, I didn't mean to apply that quote to Jemmie, but it is the state of VA motto. Meaning ODU is inherently anti-Virginian and anti-Americna.

Booth may have the most famous utterance of it but he certainly can't claim its provenance.

And yet the state is sometimes referred to as the Old Dominion so obviously they aren't anti-Virginian or anti-Americana.