CSNbbs
Question, could La Tech survive as an independent? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+----- Forum: CUSA Realignment (/forum-1015.html)
+----- Thread: Question, could La Tech survive as an independent? (/thread-933529.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Question, could La Tech survive as an independent? - MadEagle - 10-27-2021 11:22 AM

I believe you guys could put together a schedule easy. I believe you could still do home and home games with USM, UAB, UTSA, UNT and Rice. By this time WKU and MTSU will be looking to schedule games. You guys have already got a relationship with UMass and with all the FCS schools around here that'd be easy to schedule too. I've been a La Tech fan for a long time. I hate this happened to you guys.

RE: Question, could La Tech survive as an independent? - freshtop - 10-27-2021 11:22 AM

(10-27-2021 11:22 AM)MadEagle Wrote:  I believe you guys could put together a schedule easy. I believe you could still do home and home games with USM, UAB, UTSA, UNT and Rice. By this time WKU and MTSU will be looking to schedule games. You guys have already got a relationship with UMass and with all the FCS schools around here that'd be easy to schedule too. I've been a La Tech fan for a long time. I hate this happened to you guys.

They could, but it won't be preferable to rebuilding C-USA.

RE: Question, could La Tech survive as an independent? - inutech - 10-27-2021 11:26 AM

We have done it. And certainly now there are more OOC options than ever in the region to fill a schedule.

But bowls, the basketball and baseball tournaments and mid-season scheduling make it a last resort. In the late 90s we had football teams sit home with no bowl at 9-2 and 8-3. We're also really trying to break that Big Dance streak and continue playing post-season baseball. That's possible as an independent, but it's just so much harder (especially since in a weaker conference in theory the auto-bids are more attainable).

Thanks for the kind words. It's been a rough couple of weeks for Tech sports.

RE: Question, could La Tech survive as an independent? - pilot172000 - 10-27-2021 12:23 PM

I don not want to go Independent. Sunbelt would be a better option for sure than that.

RE: Question, could La Tech survive as an independent? - inutech - 10-27-2021 01:06 PM

(10-27-2021 12:23 PM)pilot172000 Wrote:  I don not want to go Independent. Sunbelt would be a better option for sure than that.

Well, sure. But I think the question is whether the 5-team remains of CUSA (plus whatever we can add) would be a better option.

And I think it still is.

RE: Question, could La Tech survive as an independent? - Irish Rowdy - 10-27-2021 01:16 PM

La Tech really got screwed in this whole thing. I would say they are the biggest loser this round.

RE: Question, could La Tech survive as an independent? - Volkmar - 10-27-2021 01:16 PM

(10-27-2021 11:22 AM)MadEagle Wrote:  I believe you guys could put together a schedule easy. I believe you could still do home and home games with USM, UAB, UTSA, UNT and Rice. By this time WKU and MTSU will be looking to schedule games. You guys have already got a relationship with UMass and with all the FCS schools around here that'd be easy to schedule too. I've been a La Tech fan for a long time. I hate this happened to you guys.

You're probably a more amicable person than I, as I'm not a fan of any team aside from my own school. I don't even like my younger brother's alma mater (Texas A&M) even though I love my brother. lol

RE: Question, could La Tech survive as an independent? - dawgonit - 10-27-2021 01:51 PM

could Tech survive? Yeah, but we wouldn't flourish that's for sure. It's hard to recruit, access to bowls is much more difficult, scheduling is a nightmare and finances would be a bit shaky. We were independent in the 80's and 90's and it wasn't great. We had teams go 8-3 and 9-2 with wins over SEC champions Alabama and couldn't score a bowl game.

RE: Question, could La Tech survive as an independent? - pilot172000 - 10-27-2021 02:13 PM

(10-27-2021 01:16 PM)Irish Rowdy Wrote:  La Tech really got screwed in this whole thing. I would say they are the biggest loser this round.

More times than not that ends up being the case. We should be used to it by now.

RE: Question, could La Tech survive as an independent? - gdunn - 10-27-2021 03:06 PM

Honestly I don't know if there are any more moves this go around, and unfortunately who knows what'll happen with CUSA. Tech could very easily be in the driver seat starting 2023 as long as bowl bids and auto bids are not pulled from CUSA.

RE: Question, could La Tech survive as an independent? - pilot172000 - 10-27-2021 03:09 PM

(10-27-2021 03:06 PM)gdunn Wrote:  Honestly I don't know if there are any more moves this go around, and unfortunately who knows what'll happen with CUSA. Tech could very easily be in the driver seat starting 2023 as long as bowl bids and auto bids are not pulled from CUSA.

We had a similar situation in the WAC when everyone left. There will be a couple of bowl bids and the auto bid will remain. We are just gonna have to make do with who we have and carry on. USM will be missed.

RE: Question, could La Tech survive as an independent? - Reggie Favre - 10-27-2021 03:13 PM

yes. and they would likely be much, much better off than staying in cusa.

RE: Question, could La Tech survive as an independent? - Ourland - 10-27-2021 03:17 PM

Yes.

RE: Question, could La Tech survive as an independent? - Bhaddawgy - 10-27-2021 03:32 PM

Yes..

Been there and done that though, was not real glamorous time for us. We were the body bag game poster child for a while, we got a lot of exposure, played some interesting games, even had the toughest schedule in the nation one year. We actually had some good teams those years and played way above our level at times, so much so that we had a couple of great seasons.

Our easiest avenue right now is to get CUSA back to a eight, nine, or ten FB team conference. Collect exit fees, look for a new Commissioner, begin promoting what we do have at every opportunity and capitalizing on success'. Hope for a better media deal...

RE: Question, could La Tech survive as an independent? - WKUApollo - 10-27-2021 03:44 PM

In answer to the OP, THEY WON'T NEED TO. CUSA will be rebuilt.

RE: Question, could La Tech survive as an independent? - ericsaid - 10-27-2021 04:07 PM

They don't seem to have left many burned bridges in C-USA. I'm sure many teams would accomodate their schedules to build a quality independent schedule between the MAC, Sun Belt, and AAC.

1. UAB
2. USM
3. ULM (NLU for LaTech)
4. ULLLLLLLWW (SLU for LaTech)
5. Marshall
6. UNT
7. UTEP
8. NMSU
9. Alabama
10. Texas A&M
11. ODU
12. Liberty

RE: Question, could La Tech survive as an independent? - ericsaid - 10-27-2021 04:08 PM

(10-27-2021 03:32 PM)Bhaddawgy Wrote:  Yes..

Been there and done that though, was not real glamorous time for us. We were the body bag game poster child for a while, we got a lot of exposure, played some interesting games, even had the toughest schedule in the nation one year. We actually had some good teams those years and played way above our level at times, so much so that we had a couple of great seasons.

Our easiest avenue right now is to get CUSA back to a eight, nine, or ten FB team conference. Collect exit fees, look for a new Commissioner, begin promoting what we do have at every opportunity and capitalizing on success'. Hope for a better media deal...

Times are different now. Liberty gets a quality schedule with multiple ACC programs, some Sun Belt, some C-USA, etc. Obviously the depth of their pockets are quite a bit different so they can eat costs associated with making a competitive G5 schedule.

RE: Question, could La Tech survive as an independent? - Todor - 10-27-2021 04:10 PM

If New Mexico State can do it, La Tech can certainly do it. It's not ideal, but easily doable.

RE: Question, could La Tech survive as an independent? - Ourland - 10-27-2021 04:14 PM

(10-27-2021 04:10 PM)Todor Wrote:  If New Mexico State can do it, La Tech can certainly do it. It's not ideal, but easily doable.

All they need are contracts with a couple of area bowl games. There are so many games now that someone would definitely take an eligible Louisiana Tech. Where would all the other sports go?

RE: Question, could La Tech survive as an independent? - Usajags - 10-27-2021 04:22 PM

(10-27-2021 02:13 PM)pilot172000 Wrote:  
(10-27-2021 01:16 PM)Irish Rowdy Wrote:  La Tech really got screwed in this whole thing. I would say they are the biggest loser this round.

More times than not that ends up being the case. We should be used to it by now.

Y’all might bring it on yourself......just saying.