CSNbbs
Let’s Talk Marching Bands - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Let’s Talk Marching Bands (/thread-933089.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Let’s Talk Marching Bands - BSKB 24 - 10-23-2021 12:09 PM

Hyper,
Which schools in the new Sunbelt have the best bands? I’m sure we will reign supreme, but who can we look forward to hearing when on the road?

RE: Let’s Talk Marching Bands - POTUS#4 - 10-23-2021 12:28 PM

(10-23-2021 12:09 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  Hyper,
Which schools in the new Sunbelt have the best bands? I’m sure we will reign supreme, but who can we look forward to hearing when on the road?

Ha great thread topic. Unfortunately, I think the only one I’ve seen in person is ODU. I feel like I’ve heard good things about Troy but that would have been years ago. I’m interested to hear from those who’ve a actually heard some of these bands.

RE: Let’s Talk Marching Bands - JMUPortland - 10-23-2021 12:42 PM

Troy will give the MRDs a run for their money. Musically on par, visually (marching and color guard) they may be a touch better. Smaller size allows for more complexity. I've got a friend with pretty good experience with the conference. He agrees with Troy (used to be on their staff). A good percentage of Troy's staff comes from a Drum Corps International background (http://www.dci.org). Also points to South Alabama and Southern Miss as being good.

RE: Let’s Talk Marching Bands - Dignan - 10-23-2021 01:55 PM

I saw App State’s when we travelled there for the playoffs in the 90’s. From what I recall they were pretty good but not on the same level as the MRD’s.

RE: Let’s Talk Marching Bands - NH/JMU Saxkow - 10-23-2021 02:11 PM

Troy also has a JMU connection...When Robert W. Smith left JMU in 1997, he did it to become the Director of Bands at Troy (his alma mater).

RE: Let’s Talk Marching Bands - chiefsfan - 10-23-2021 02:54 PM

If you want some fun on the SBC Board, talk about how Marching Bands should be placed in the upper deck at games. Georgia Southern did that to Troy's band 3 or 4 years ago, and you would have thought they had insulted the University the way Troy fans responded

Bands travel about once to twice per year in SBC play normally. Troy is one of the few that always travels.

RE: Let’s Talk Marching Bands - KickItToScotty - 10-23-2021 02:58 PM

(10-23-2021 02:54 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  If you want some fun on the SBC Board, talk about how Marching Bands should be placed in the upper deck at games. Georgia Southern did that to Troy's band 3 or 4 years ago, and you would have thought they had insulted the University the way Troy fans responded

Bands travel about once to twice per year in SBC play normally. Troy is one of the few that always travels.

Ha, I could definitely seeing us being the same way as Troy there. JMU will defend the MRD's to the death over any little thing, we love our band. You should've heard our stadium when the UNH coach complained during a playoff game and had a ref make an announcement warning the band to stop playing sooner.

RE: Let’s Talk Marching Bands - HyperDuke - 10-23-2021 04:41 PM

Yeah, it’s Troy and Southern Miss. App is fine, but not nearly as good as their neighbors at Western Carolina. Louisiana’s group is probably a notch better than App. Not familiar with Texas State at all. Band is big in TX, so they might be good.

RE: Let’s Talk Marching Bands - HyperDuke - 10-23-2021 04:42 PM

ODU’s band is a ripoff of U Washington if U Washington sounded like a good HS band.

RE: Let’s Talk Marching Bands - AssyrianDuke - 10-23-2021 08:03 PM

(10-23-2021 12:42 PM)JMUPortland Wrote:  Troy will give the MRDs a run for their money. Musically on par, visually (marching and color guard) they may be a touch better. Smaller size allows for more complexity. I've got a friend with pretty good experience with the conference. He agrees with Troy (used to be on their staff). A good percentage of Troy's staff comes from a Drum Corps International background (http://www.dci.org). Also points to South Alabama and Southern Miss as being good.

If memory serves me right, you can watch DCI on flo 05-stirthepot

RE: Let’s Talk Marching Bands - Bigtom12 - 10-23-2021 09:14 PM

(10-23-2021 04:41 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  Yeah, it’s Troy and Southern Miss. App is fine, but not nearly as good as their neighbors at Western Carolina. Louisiana’s group is probably a notch better than App. Not familiar with Texas State at all. Band is big in TX, so they might be good.

I haven’t seen them all Troy is the best, and Texas St is awesome as well.
Here is a video of Texas St.

RE: Let’s Talk Marching Bands - JMaddy - 10-23-2021 09:16 PM

(10-23-2021 04:42 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  ODU’s band is a ripoff of U Washington if U Washington sounded like a good HS band.

ODU is a a "good" high school band, not a GOOD high school band.

RE: Let’s Talk Marching Bands - BSKB 24 - 10-23-2021 09:38 PM

(10-23-2021 09:14 PM)Bigtom12 Wrote:  
(10-23-2021 04:41 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  Yeah, it’s Troy and Southern Miss. App is fine, but not nearly as good as their neighbors at Western Carolina. Louisiana’s group is probably a notch better than App. Not familiar with Texas State at all. Band is big in TX, so they might be good.

I haven’t seen them all Troy is the best, and Texas St is awesome as well.
Here is a video of Texas St.

Texas State is impressive.

RE: Let’s Talk Marching Bands - Dukes94 - 10-23-2021 10:02 PM

ODU isn't even a good high school.

I hate marching bands in general and have always felt that Va. Tech's band ruins the Enter Sandman intro by...you know...playing, instead of letting Metallica keep rocking. But I recognize that most people love JMU's band, so good on you. I know the kids work hard and they rep our school well.

RE: Let’s Talk Marching Bands - Dukes1825 - 10-23-2021 10:24 PM

https://csnbbs.com/thread-933149.html

Go drop some videos of the MRDs for the SB folks to enjoy

RE: Let’s Talk Marching Bands - ValleyBoy - 10-23-2021 11:16 PM

Quick question what does MRDs stand for.

Troy's band is know as the Sound of the South.

RE: Let’s Talk Marching Bands - KickItToScotty - 10-23-2021 11:26 PM

(10-23-2021 11:16 PM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  Quick question what does MRDs stand for.

Marching Royal Dukes

RE: Let’s Talk Marching Bands - JMaddy - 10-24-2021 12:49 AM

(10-23-2021 11:26 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  
(10-23-2021 11:16 PM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  Quick question what does MRDs stand for.

Marching Royal Dukes

Virginia's Finest!

RE: Let’s Talk Marching Bands - chiefsfan - 10-24-2021 01:51 AM

(10-23-2021 02:58 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  
(10-23-2021 02:54 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  If you want some fun on the SBC Board, talk about how Marching Bands should be placed in the upper deck at games. Georgia Southern did that to Troy's band 3 or 4 years ago, and you would have thought they had insulted the University the way Troy fans responded

Ha, I could definitely seeing us being the same way as Troy there. JMU will defend the MRD's to the death over any little thing, we love our band. You should've heard our stadium when the UNH coach complained during a playoff game and had a ref make an announcement warning the band to stop playing sooner.

Those of us without large scale bands enjoy figuring out little things to annoy fans of schools who love their bands. We had a mock investigation on our forum a couple of years ago to see whether Troy used speakers to enhance their sound. People were even out attempting to take photos...

I don't think any of us hate bands, but you'll have to understand, to many of us the closest thing we see to a band is when we play a SWAC or MEAC school at home.

RE: Let’s Talk Marching Bands - ODUMONARCHZ1 - 10-24-2021 08:16 AM

(10-23-2021 04:42 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  ODU’s band is a ripoff of U Washington if U Washington sounded like a good HS band.
Our band director was a grad assistant and director at the University Of Washington before coming here. Being an odu band alumni i resent that. Lol Some bands are very strict on quality of players. While we do have quality players and everyone auditions, I've never been someone who thinks you willfully turn away someone who wants to participate but not play as well. Balance is always needed. Covid has killed the size of the band for sure, especially since we didn't play football last season but the quality of players is definitely better.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk