CSNbbs
Video - Why does Memphis seem to be dragging its feet? (Big 12 preparation) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Video - Why does Memphis seem to be dragging its feet? (Big 12 preparation) (/thread-932106.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Video - Why does Memphis seem to be dragging its feet? (Big 12 preparation) - Tigers2B1 - 10-15-2021 11:56 AM

RE: Video - Why does Memphis seem to be dragging its feet? (Big 12 preparation) - TIGERCITY - 10-15-2021 12:05 PM

The city will spend real money to maintain / upgrade the FedEx forum and AutoZone Park but expect the University of Memphis to upgrade (with invisible money) the soon to be renamed Liberty Bowl?

RE: Video - Why does Memphis seem to be dragging its feet? (Big 12 preparation) - Unionman76 - 10-15-2021 12:05 PM

these guys talk to hear their own voices

a bunch of gibberish

RE: Video - Why does Memphis seem to be dragging its feet? (Big 12 preparation) - Claw - 10-15-2021 12:06 PM

Well, there you go.

Opponents of change, you may get your wish.

No new stadium and no big time conference.

Idiots.

RE: Video - Why does Memphis seem to be dragging its feet? (Big 12 preparation) - Tigers2B1 - 10-15-2021 12:19 PM

(10-15-2021 12:06 PM)Claw Wrote:  Well, there you go.

Opponents of change, you may get your wish.

No new stadium and no big time conference.

Idiots.

Even the Big East is thinking about expanding... I could see Wichita State going.
https://mobile.twitter.com/DanaONeilWriter/status/1448712086322831360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1448712086322831360%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2F247sports.com%2Fcollege%2Fboise-state%2Fboard%2F103542%2FContents%2Futou-big12-leave-date-173104825%2F%3Fpage%3D1

RE: Video - Why does Memphis seem to be dragging its feet? (Big 12 preparation) - geosnooker2000 - 10-15-2021 12:32 PM

A comment I just left there:
Sorry, I respect the reporting by you guys, but you haven't ACTUALLY SAID anything. Memphis is dragging their feet.... about what? Stadium renovation or OCS? We've already said it will be either/or, not neither. President David Rudd is SUPER invested into sports. He and his predecessor Brad Martin are the reason Memphis football has surpassed Tiger Basketball over the past decade. And that's no small feat. It almost seems as if you found out Memphis is not in, and are slow-walking the reversal of Memphis being a leading candidate for round 2, and making up "issues" to legitimize it. Because you haven't said anything concrete. David Rudd is supposed to do.... "X" that he hasn't done. Fill in THAT blank. And we as a fanbase and the Memphis media community are supposed to be talking BigXII non-stop right now, but we are not? Is THAT your point? We are in the middle of a disappointing (but possibly turning the corner on a VERY young roster) season, and we've been lead down the BigXII primrose path before. Remember 2016? We've got issues we are busy discussing in the here-and-now. Not some football Lucy is holding for us to kick toward Big12 membership.
Have we not actually "submitted an application to join"? I seriously doubt that's actually how this works.
Say SOMETHING a little less nebulous than "Dragging their feet". Please.

RE: Video - Why does Memphis seem to be dragging its feet? (Big 12 preparation) - Crini - 10-15-2021 12:35 PM

Wasn't the report on the Liberty Bowl renovations supposed to have come out this week? Am I right on the timing? Has there been any information about it released?

RE: Video - Why does Memphis seem to be dragging its feet? (Big 12 preparation) - k2tigers - 10-15-2021 12:39 PM

(10-15-2021 12:32 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  A comment I just left there:
Sorry, I respect the reporting by you guys, but you haven't ACTUALLY SAID anything. Memphis is dragging their feet.... about what? Stadium renovation or OCS? We've already said it will be either/or, not neither. President David Rudd is SUPER invested into sports. He and his predecessor Brad Martin are the reason Memphis football has surpassed Tiger Basketball over the past decade. And that's no small feat. It almost seems as if you found out Memphis is not in, and are slow-walking the reversal of Memphis being a leading candidate for round 2, and making up "issues" to legitimize it. Because you haven't said anything concrete. David Rudd is supposed to do.... "X" that he hasn't done. Fill in THAT blank. And we as a fanbase and the Memphis media community are supposed to be talking BigXII non-stop right now, but we are not? Is THAT your point? We are in the middle of a disappointing (but possibly turning the corner on a VERY young roster) season, and we've been lead down the BigXII primrose path before. Remember 2016? We've got issues we are busy discussing in the here-and-now. Not some football Lucy is holding for us to kick toward Big12 membership.
Have we not actually "submitted an application to join"? I seriously doubt that's actually how this works.

sigh, and LMAO

RE: Video - Why does Memphis seem to be dragging its feet? (Big 12 preparation) - Boots - 10-15-2021 12:49 PM

Sic Em's coverage of Memphis has been very positive over the last few months. 95% of anything they have said has been pro Memphis to the Big 12. I wouldn't piss them off. Ha Ha. David Smoak (the older guy) is close with Baylor AD Mack Rhoades who is head of expansion committee. That is where he is getting his information from...which again has been very pro Memphis. That is a good sign. I have been grateful that they have continually been pushing Memphis. Better than the alternative. They may not sound like it...but they are very well connected into Baylor and Big 12.

This is the first time they have acted confused about Memphis. Sounds like they tried to get some info from Memphis people and they couldn't get any....so they reported a dragging of feet...which isn't accurate.

Reality is University is waiting to see what city comes back with on LB renovations. They want 100% control of their stadium future. Whether that is in renovated LB or new stadium. I trust this leadership to chart the right path aggressively.

RE: Video - Why does Memphis seem to be dragging its feet? (Big 12 preparation) - geosnooker2000 - 10-15-2021 12:54 PM

(10-15-2021 12:49 PM)Boots Wrote:  Sic Em's coverage of Memphis has been very positive over the last few months. 95% of anything they have said has been pro Memphis to the Big 12. I wouldn't piss them off. Ha Ha. David Smoak (the older guy) is close with Baylor AD Mack Rhoades who is head of expansion committee. That is where he is getting his information from...which again has been very pro Memphis. That is a good sign. I have been grateful that they have continually been pushing Memphis. Better than the alternative. They may not sound like it...but they are very well connected into Baylor and Big 12.

This is the first time they have acted confused about Memphis. Sounds like they tried to get some info from Memphis people and they couldn't get any....so they reported a dragging of feet...which isn't accurate.

Reality is University is waiting to see what city comes back with on LB renovations. They want 100% control of their stadium future. Whether that is in renovated LB or new stadium. I trust this leadership to chart the right path aggressively.

I agree with the bolded above, and I don't think what I said in my post on that video SHOULD piss them off. Mr. David and I have had email conversations in the past, and he has been complimentary of my communications on-air. He knows where I'm coming from.

RE: Video - Why does Memphis seem to be dragging its feet? (Big 12 preparation) - geosnooker2000 - 10-15-2021 12:57 PM

(10-15-2021 12:39 PM)k2tigers Wrote:  

sigh, and LMAO

..... thanks????

RE: Video - Why does Memphis seem to be dragging its feet? (Big 12 preparation) - Boots - 10-15-2021 01:03 PM

(10-15-2021 12:54 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  
(10-15-2021 12:49 PM)Boots Wrote:  Sic Em's coverage of Memphis has been very positive over the last few months. 95% of anything they have said has been pro Memphis to the Big 12. I wouldn't piss them off. Ha Ha. David Smoak (the older guy) is close with Baylor AD Mack Rhoades who is head of expansion committee. That is where he is getting his information from...which again has been very pro Memphis. That is a good sign. I have been grateful that they have continually been pushing Memphis. Better than the alternative. They may not sound like it...but they are very well connected into Baylor and Big 12.

I agree with the bolded above, and I don't think what I said in my post on that video SHOULD piss them off. Mr. David and I have had email conversations in the past, and he has been complimentary of my communications on-air. He knows where I'm coming from.

That's good. They have been suggesting Memphis is near the top of the list for the 2nd round of expansion for a while. Which they are certainly getting from Mack. So that is a good sign. Hoping these guys keep talking and pushing Memphis. Memphis needs a big stadium announcement to make a statement.

RE: Video - Why does Memphis seem to be dragging its feet? (Big 12 preparation) - CRM114 - 10-15-2021 01:21 PM

(10-15-2021 12:05 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  The city will spend real money to maintain / upgrade the FedEx forum and AutoZone Park but expect the University of Memphis to upgrade (with invisible money) the soon to be renamed Liberty Bowl?

Apples and oranges. The city hasn't made any significant capital upgrades to FedExForum since it was built, certainly not on the order of magnitude being discussed for LBMS. Same goes for AutoZone.

Maintaining a stadium and nearly rebuilding one are very different things.

RE: Video - Why does Memphis seem to be dragging its feet? (Big 12 preparation) - k2tigers - 10-15-2021 01:35 PM

(10-15-2021 01:21 PM)CRM114 Wrote:  
(10-15-2021 12:05 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  The city will spend real money to maintain / upgrade the FedEx forum and AutoZone Park but expect the University of Memphis to upgrade (with invisible money) the soon to be renamed Liberty Bowl?

Apples and oranges. The city hasn't made any significant capital upgrades to FedExForum since it was built, certainly not on the order of magnitude being discussed for LBMS. Same goes for AutoZone.

sssshhhhhh, he's on a roll

RE: Video - Why does Memphis seem to be dragging its feet? (Big 12 preparation) - Tigers2B1 - 10-15-2021 01:49 PM

(10-15-2021 12:35 PM)Crini Wrote:  Wasn't the report on the Liberty Bowl renovations supposed to have come out this week? Am I right on the timing? Has there been any information about it released?

It takes time it takes time

RE: Video - Why does Memphis seem to be dragging its feet? (Big 12 preparation) - CRM114 - 10-15-2021 01:58 PM

This is a major decision for the university that justifies some amount of foot-dragging.

I expect that the university knows whatever gap exists between the LB and B12 expectations/requirements. That must have been passed along to the city and its architect. The city will come back with a proposal to renovate the LB to that standard, it will cost $X, and they will want the university to cover most of that, likely by signing a long-term lease at a higher annual rent. If the price tag is high enough, the recommendation may be to build an entirely new stadium. The university will then have to weigh the long-term cost/benefit of the city proposal(s) with building an OCS. The higher the city proposal, the better the OCS looks. If the city proposes a big renovation that costs the university, say, $4-5M more per year in rent, but satisfies B12 requirements, that may be acceptable. But paying $10-12M more in rent to finance a LB replacement at the same site? No...might as well borrow the $200M+ and build the OCS.

Also in play here is what happens to the B12. The video mentions how the P12 plays in all this. What if the B12 gets reduced to an AAC+ situation, with per-school payouts not much better than we're getting now. It doesn't make sense to take on $10-12M of rent or debt for a new stadium just to get into a gutted B12 that would only give us $5M or so more in revenues, and would probably have to invite us anyway (regardless of stadium) just to plug holes left by departing schools. We've got to know what it is we're buying our way into and what value that will have.

RE: Video - Why does Memphis seem to be dragging its feet? (Big 12 preparation) - micman - 10-15-2021 02:27 PM

(10-15-2021 01:21 PM)CRM114 Wrote:  

Didn't Pera and the ownership group pay for the lighting, jumbotron, and concourse TV upgrades to FedEx Forum 3 or 4 years ago? Who paid for the new roof, the city?

The city did do a substantial amount of renovation to Autozone Park when they bought it.

RE: Video - Why does Memphis seem to be dragging its feet? (Big 12 preparation) - Virginia Tiger - 10-15-2021 03:11 PM

(10-15-2021 01:58 PM)CRM114 Wrote:  This is a major decision for the university that justifies some amount of foot-dragging.

I expect that the university knows whatever gap exists between the LB and B12 expectations/requirements. That must have been passed along to the city and its architect. The city will come back with a proposal to renovate the LB to that standard, it will cost $X, and they will want the university to cover most of that, likely by signing a long-term lease at a higher annual rent. If the price tag is high enough, the recommendation may be to build an entirely new stadium. The university will then have to weigh the long-term cost/benefit of the city proposal(s) with building an OCS. The higher the city proposal, the better the OCS looks. If the city proposes a big renovation that costs the university, say, $4-5M more per year in rent, but satisfies B12 requirements, that may be acceptable. But paying $10-12M more in rent to finance a LB replacement at the same site? No...might as well borrow the $200M+ and build the OCS.

Also in play here is what happens to the B12. The video mentions how the P12 plays in all this. What if the B12 gets reduced to an AAC+ situation, with per-school payouts not much better than we're getting now. It doesn't make sense to take on $10-12M of rent or debt for a new stadium just to get into a gutted B12 that would only give us $5M or so more in revenues, and would probably have to invite us anyway (regardless of stadium) just to plug holes left by departing schools. We've got to know what it is we're buying our way into and what value that will have.

This makes sense.

RE: Video - Why does Memphis seem to be dragging its feet? (Big 12 preparation) - TigerBlue4Ever - 10-15-2021 03:12 PM

(10-15-2021 12:05 PM)Unionman76 Wrote:  these guys talk to hear their own voices

a bunch of gibberish

pretty much.

RE: Video - Why does Memphis seem to be dragging its feet? (Big 12 preparation) - TigerBlue4Ever - 10-15-2021 03:13 PM

Well done.