CSNbbs
National Popular Vote Compact - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: National Popular Vote Compact (/thread-932009.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

National Popular Vote Compact - gdunn - 10-14-2021 08:55 AM

So I know we've had this brought up a few times over the past.. But earlier this week I saw where Michigan was trying to get in on it.

For those who don't know, several states are trying to band together and when they hit 270 electoral votes they'll have legislation in place to award their electoral votes to the President who wins the popular vote not who wins their state.

So my question to the group is do you think this is constitutional or even legal?

RE: National Popular Vote Compact - VA49er - 10-14-2021 09:03 AM

(10-14-2021 08:55 AM)gdunn Wrote:  So I know we've had this brought up a few times over the past.. But earlier this week I saw where Michigan was trying to get in on it.

For those who don't know, several states are trying to band together and when they hit 270 electoral votes they'll have legislation in place to award their electoral votes to the President who wins the popular vote not who wins their state.

So my question to the group is do you think this is constitutional or even legal?

Not sure if it's either. I do know that the first time it doesn't go in the D's favor they will want to change it back.

RE: National Popular Vote Compact - bobdizole - 10-14-2021 09:07 AM

(10-14-2021 08:55 AM)gdunn Wrote:  So I know we've had this brought up a few times over the past.. But earlier this week I saw where Michigan was trying to get in on it.

It seems to be a clear violation of the Compact Clause and the 12th and 20th Amendments. If it ever passed the required number of states I can't see the supreme court not striking it down.

RE: National Popular Vote Compact - stinkfist - 10-14-2021 09:34 AM

(10-14-2021 09:07 AM)bobdizole Wrote:  

It seems to be a clear violation of the Compact Clause and the 12th and 20th Amendments. If it ever passed the required number of states I can't see the supreme court not striking it down.

^^^ or secession begins…

RE: National Popular Vote Compact - gdunn - 10-14-2021 09:37 AM

Can the Supreme Court strike it down on it's own or does to it have to be brought to them?

I wonder if this will fall under, each state can do what they want.

RE: National Popular Vote Compact - Bear Catlett - 10-14-2021 09:39 AM

So if the crooked states like CA and IL pile up a bazillion fake votes for the democrat, these other state's votes wont matter.

I get it. Typical democrat crookedness.

RE: National Popular Vote Compact - bobdizole - 10-14-2021 09:45 AM

(10-14-2021 09:37 AM)gdunn Wrote:  

Can the Supreme Court strike it down on it's own or does to it have to be brought to them?

I wonder if this will fall under, each state can do what they want.

That would be the case. Technically each state can do what they want in elections, but the constitution prohibits the states from making agreements with each other unless approved by Congress.

Another state would have to bring the case before the supreme court which I'm sure TX or FL would have filed before the ink dried.

RE: National Popular Vote Compact - Attackcoog - 10-14-2021 10:45 AM

Im pretty sure it says the state legislatures run the election in each state. Its probably legal---but its stupid. Why would you want to undermine the wishes of your own states voters? Wouldnt the wiser choice be to apportion your states electoral votes to reflect the outcome of the election (rounded to the nearest elector)? So, if the vote was 60% to 40%---the states winning candidates would get 6 of the states 10 electoral votes and the loser would get 4 electoral votes. At least that reflects the actual voter outcome in your state.

RE: National Popular Vote Compact - BlueDragon - 10-14-2021 10:56 AM

(10-14-2021 09:34 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  

^^^ or secession begins…

^I think we are rapidly approaching this ^

RE: National Popular Vote Compact - Owl 69/70/75 - 10-14-2021 11:16 AM

Where I think it runs into problems, among other places, is equal protection. If you pass such a law, you have basically deemed the voters in your state irrelevant, and effectively deprived them of the right to vote.

National Popular Vote Compact - JMUDunk - 10-14-2021 11:19 AM

(10-14-2021 09:39 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  So if the crooked states like CA and IL pile up a bazillion fake votes for the democrat, these other state's votes wont matter.

I get it. Typical democrat crookedness.

That’s about it in a nutshell.
If we all want to be ruled by those voting in NY, Califa, IL for all the good they do for their own constituents, then by all means vote for this rot.

My goodness, the levels to which ONE MAN wrecked these people is astonishing.

Sky scream somewhere else pls.

RE: National Popular Vote Compact - stinkfist - 10-14-2021 11:19 AM

(10-14-2021 11:16 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Where I think it runs into problems, among other places, is equal protection. If you pass such a law, you have basically deemed the voters in your state irrelevant, and effectively deprived them of the right to vote.

which is the same as ad hoc mass mail-in ballots being distributed…

there’s a reason GA dicked themselves by nappin’ at the wheel…

RE: National Popular Vote Compact - Owl 69/70/75 - 10-14-2021 11:23 AM

(10-14-2021 11:19 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(10-14-2021 11:16 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Where I think it runs into problems, among other places, is equal protection. If you pass such a law, you have basically deemed the voters in your state irrelevant, and effectively deprived them of the right to vote.

And as you note, the damn republicans stood by and let this happen. I knew by mid summer 2020 what the democrat game plan was, not only Georgia but everywhere else. If you go back and look, I think I was posting about it back then. And republicans did nothing to stop it.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend, but I wish my enemies had better enemies.

RE: National Popular Vote Compact - stinkfist - 10-14-2021 11:31 AM

(10-14-2021 11:23 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(10-14-2021 11:19 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  

And as you note, the damn republicans stood by and let this happen. I knew by mid summer 2020 what the democrat game plan was, not only Georgia but everywhere else. If you go back and look, I think I was posting about it back then. And republicans did nothing to stop it.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend, but I wish my enemies had better enemies.

yes, you were adamant during that time…nobody in the red camp disagreed …

also note, DJT screwed that one up by calling out pubs to stay home b/c sour grapes after ‘20 election was stolen … he should’ve called ‘em out in droves to further promote the banana republic of GA’s ills…

RE: National Popular Vote Compact - Niner National - 10-14-2021 11:43 AM

I wish we just awarded states cites as proportional to their votes. For example if a state with 10 votes votes 60/40, 6 go to one candidate, 4 to the other. Seems the most fair to me.

RE: National Popular Vote Compact - stinkfist - 10-14-2021 11:49 AM

(10-14-2021 11:43 AM)Niner National Wrote:  I wish we just awarded states cites as proportional to their votes. For example if a state with 10 votes votes 60/40, 6 go to one candidate, 4 to the other. Seems the most fair to me.

proportioning is easily best method in today’s climate/schema … however, like eliminating mail-in, voter ID, or implementing term limits, what happens to the donks?!

yeahhhhhhhh, that’s why e) none of the above will happen…

RE: National Popular Vote Compact - 49RFootballNow - 10-14-2021 12:00 PM

This is a plan, like full national popular vote, to turn the election into a game to win a few large cities and ignore the rest of the country. Our Founding Fathers were pretty far-sighted. They also knew "pure" Democracy was basically Mob Rule. We have built in protections in our systems.

This is an attempt to circumvent those protections, plain and simple.

RE: National Popular Vote Compact - Marc Mensa - 10-14-2021 12:01 PM

(10-14-2021 11:43 AM)Niner National Wrote:  I wish we just awarded states cites as proportional to their votes. For example if a state with 10 votes votes 60/40, 6 go to one candidate, 4 to the other. Seems the most fair to me.

And allocate House seats this way as well…
right now, a state like Tennessee has 40% of its electorate vote Democratic, yet only 2 of 9 house seats. Arkansas has zero house seats, yet 35-40 of their voters are Democrats. I think it’s fair to say, gerrymandered districts & non competitive house races have helped lead to this intense polarization.

RE: National Popular Vote Compact - stinkfist - 10-14-2021 12:20 PM

(10-14-2021 12:01 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  

And allocate House seats this way as well…
right now, a state like Tennessee has 40% of its electorate vote Democratic, yet only 2 of 9 house seats. Arkansas has zero house seats, yet 35-40 of their voters are Democrats. I think it’s fair to say, gerrymandered districts & non competitive house races have helped lead to this intense polarization.

there’s no questioning Gerry-rigged-meandering …. however, that has nothing to do with senate/presidential elections … we’ve evolved past the founders’ schema …

there’s only one way to solve this relative to those elected to federal positions … and a constitutional convention ain’ a happenin’ in today’s world…. and if it were to happen, imagine what a clusterfk that would become…

the bottom line is having secure elections in all 50 states with a standard in place that eliminates fraud is THEE ONLY OPTION WORTH DISCUSSING!!!

RE: National Popular Vote Compact - shere khan - 10-14-2021 12:53 PM

(10-14-2021 09:34 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  

^^^ or secession begins…
I can here it now...

Grandpa, what started the Second Civil War?