CSNbbs
Latest on Chicago State's Pursuit for League Membership - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Proving Grounds (/forum-768.html)
+--- Forum: NonFBbbs (/forum-819.html)
+---- Forum: Chicago State (/forum-987.html)
+---- Thread: Latest on Chicago State's Pursuit for League Membership (/thread-931829.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Latest on Chicago State's Pursuit for League Membership - AssKickingChicken - 03-21-2022 12:43 PM

Any updates on the proposed football program?

RE: Latest on Chicago State's Pursuit for League Membership - DCAbloob - 04-05-2022 06:33 PM

As of a few days ago, Matt Brown still thought Chicago State was likely to the MEAC.

RE: Latest on Chicago State's Pursuit for League Membership - MICHAELSPAPPY - 04-07-2022 09:54 PM

I like OVC better because of travel, but I think we can compete in the MEAC.

RE: Latest on Chicago State's Pursuit for League Membership - joshadam84 - 04-17-2022 07:10 PM

I’d have to believe Elliott left on a good note, which includes securing a conference for the Cougars. Given there’s been very little discussion of the OVC reciprocating interest in Chicago State and the fact Howard is reportedly going to join the CAA.. the MEAC seems to be the likely conference. It’s not my preferred choice but at this point the Cougars just need a home. And they’d be very competitive in nearly all sports right off the bat.

I suppose we’ll find out more soon.

RE: Latest on Chicago State's Pursuit for League Membership - MICHAELSPAPPY - 04-18-2022 08:30 PM

(04-17-2022 07:10 PM)joshadam84 Wrote:  I suppose we’ll find out more soon.

I sure hope so.

RE: Latest on Chicago State's Pursuit for League Membership - DoubleRSU - 04-20-2022 07:50 AM

(04-17-2022 07:10 PM)joshadam84 Wrote:  I’d have to believe Elliott left on a good note, which includes securing a conference for the Cougars. Given there’s been very little discussion of the OVC reciprocating interest in Chicago State and the fact Howard is reportedly going to join the CAA.. the MEAC seems to be the likely conference. It’s not my preferred choice but at this point the Cougars just need a home. And they’d be very competitive in nearly all sports right off the bat.

I suppose we’ll find out more soon.

Or he left because he couldn’t find CSU a home. Didn’t want to take on the dumpster fire of Independent scheduling and left before he had to deal with it.

RE: Latest on Chicago State's Pursuit for League Membership - TexanFan - 04-20-2022 08:23 AM

If lining up a conference is not happening at this time, would the WAC be willing to give Chicago State another year? CSU did save the WAC by staying in the conference during the lean years and it would also balance the scheduling for basketball.

RE: Latest on Chicago State's Pursuit for League Membership - DoubleRSU - 04-20-2022 10:57 AM

(04-20-2022 08:23 AM)TexanFan Wrote:  If lining up a conference is not happening at this time, would the WAC be willing to give Chicago State another year? CSU did save the WAC by staying in the conference during the lean years and it would also balance the scheduling for basketball.

No chance. Chicago State sucks at all sports and that’s why they were “kicked out” in the first place. If they were a middle of the pack team, they might have been kept around or might have found a new home already.

If Chicago State had gone 30-4 during one of its WAC years and received an invite to the Horizon or Summit, they would have left the WAC too. Don’t know how you would think the WAC should give a helping hand, when Chicago State (or any school), would not do the same.

RE: Latest on Chicago State's Pursuit for League Membership - IWokeUpLikeThis - 04-20-2022 12:30 PM

FTR, I heard today that Chicago St and MEAC discussions are pretty deep and the expectation is Chicago St will become a MEAC member. I don't claim to be a source though so wait until someone credible reports it.

RE: Latest on Chicago State's Pursuit for League Membership - TexanFan - 04-20-2022 12:31 PM

(04-20-2022 10:57 AM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  
(04-20-2022 08:23 AM)TexanFan Wrote:  If lining up a conference is not happening at this time, would the WAC be willing to give Chicago State another year? CSU did save the WAC by staying in the conference during the lean years and it would also balance the scheduling for basketball.

No chance. Chicago State sucks at all sports and that’s why they were “kicked out” in the first place. If they were a middle of the pack team, they might have been kept around or might have found a new home already.

If Chicago State had gone 30-4 during one of its WAC years and received an invite to the Horizon or Summit, they would have left the WAC too. Don’t know how you would think the WAC should give a helping hand, when Chicago State (or any school), would not do the same.

I would definitely not use the words you used to describe CSU athletic programs. There was significant improvement with both basketball programs as well as their volleyball team.

RE: Latest on Chicago State's Pursuit for League Membership - IWokeUpLikeThis - 04-20-2022 01:21 PM

(04-20-2022 12:30 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  FTR, I heard today that Chicago St and MEAC discussions are pretty deep and the expectation is Chicago St will become a MEAC member. I don't claim to be a source though so wait until someone credible reports it.

This tweet came out 33 minutes after my post. The person didn't mention CSU already having received enough votes to be admitted into the MEAC, but they did say it was deep enough in the process that they expected an announcement in 2-3 weeks.

RE: Latest on Chicago State's Pursuit for League Membership - AssKickingChicken - 04-20-2022 01:34 PM

Any port in a storm but I see no benefit for the MEAC. CSU is way out of the conference footprint and they don’t sponsor football or baseball games. Chicago State will still need a home for both soccer programs.

RE: Latest on Chicago State's Pursuit for League Membership - DoubleRSU - 04-20-2022 01:57 PM

(04-20-2022 12:31 PM)TexanFan Wrote:  

I would definitely not use the words you used to describe CSU athletic programs. There was significant improvement with both basketball programs as well as their volleyball team.

WAC records:
22 - 3-15
21 - DNP
20 - 0-14
19 - 0-16
18 - 1-13
17 - 1-13
16 - 0-14
15 - 4-10
14 - 8-8

What term would you use to describe their mens basketball program?

RE: Latest on Chicago State's Pursuit for League Membership - DoubleRSU - 04-20-2022 01:58 PM

(04-20-2022 01:21 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(04-20-2022 12:30 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  FTR, I heard today that Chicago St and MEAC discussions are pretty deep and the expectation is Chicago St will become a MEAC member. I don't claim to be a source though so wait until someone credible reports it.

This tweet came out 33 minutes after my post. The person didn't mention CSU already having received enough votes to be admitted into the MEAC, but they did say it was deep enough in the process that they expected an announcement in 2-3 weeks.

Good to hear. Matt Brown also said he is hoping to have an “update” next week.

RE: Latest on Chicago State's Pursuit for League Membership - TexanFan - 04-20-2022 02:31 PM

(04-20-2022 01:57 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  

WAC records:
22 - 3-15
21 - DNP
20 - 0-14
19 - 0-16
18 - 1-13
17 - 1-13
16 - 0-14
15 - 4-10
14 - 8-8

Improving.

RE: Latest on Chicago State's Pursuit for League Membership - Todor - 04-20-2022 03:02 PM

(04-20-2022 02:31 PM)TexanFan Wrote:  

WAC records:
22 - 3-15
21 - DNP
20 - 0-14
19 - 0-16
18 - 1-13
17 - 1-13
16 - 0-14
15 - 4-10
14 - 8-8

Improving.

Pretty much all of their programs took a big swing upward in quality in just this academic year. Some reflected in the win column more than others, but their programs are improving.

What the WAC does going forward is less of a concern to me than in the past, but it seems a shame to have suffered thru their very worst years and to boot them as things turn around. It wasn’t just an athletic issue to get turned around either. It was enrollment, funding, and administrative all at once.

I am less confident in future WAC membership than some others perhaps. But the WAC has very few members it can count in being around and even less in the pipeline of potential members. It was a mistake not to keep them. We’ve seen what a difference 6 months can make in WAC membership.

RE: Latest on Chicago State's Pursuit for League Membership - Lopes87 - 04-21-2022 02:37 PM

(04-20-2022 03:02 PM)Todor Wrote:  
(04-20-2022 02:31 PM)TexanFan Wrote:  
(04-20-2022 10:57 AM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  No chance. Chicago State sucks at all sports and that’s why they were “kicked out” in the first place. If they were a middle of the pack team, they might have been kept around or might have found a new home already.

WAC records:
22 - 3-15
21 - DNP
20 - 0-14
19 - 0-16
18 - 1-13
17 - 1-13
16 - 0-14
15 - 4-10
14 - 8-8

Improving.

Pretty much all of their programs took a big swing upward in quality in just this academic year. Some reflected in the win column more than others, but their programs are improving.

What the WAC does going forward is less of a concern to me than in the past, but it seems a shame to have suffered thru their very worst years and to boot them as things turn around. It wasn’t just an athletic issue to get turned around either. It was enrollment, funding, and administrative all at once.

I am less confident in future WAC membership than some others perhaps. But the WAC has very few members it can count in being around and even less in the pipeline of potential members. It was a mistake not to keep them. We’ve seen what a difference 6 months can make in WAC membership.

You can bring Chicago St with NMSU to CUSA if you see fit...

Joking aside if you look at who makes up the WAC's longest tenured members going forward its

SU GCU UVU UTRGV

I'm not sure the 8 newest members of the WAC would want to keep CSU around and outside of UTRGV the 3 others that have been in the WAC the longest (GCU,SU,UVU) want CSU in the league.

RE: Latest on Chicago State's Pursuit for League Membership - joshadam84 - 04-21-2022 07:27 PM

From CollegeAD today..

RE: Latest on Chicago State's Pursuit for League Membership - Lopes87 - 04-21-2022 08:41 PM

Where have we seen a league ask Chicago St to start athletic programs to not only not start the programs they were asked to start as a condition to joining but also cut other programs instead. MEAC gunna get juked out of the handshake.

RE: Latest on Chicago State's Pursuit for League Membership - DoubleRSU - 04-21-2022 08:45 PM

(04-21-2022 08:41 PM)Lopes87 Wrote:  Where have we seen a league ask Chicago St to start athletic programs to not only not start the programs they were asked to start as a condition to joining but also cut other programs instead. MEAC gunna get juked out of the handshake.

A school like Chicago State has no business starting a football program. They had 207 for their home basketball game vs NMSU.