CSNbbs
Please Bench Mack - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Please Bench Mack (/thread-931629.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Please Bench Mack - Friartuck - 10-09-2021 04:13 PM

I have watched enough games this year to know Mack isn't the answer. His ability to throw and hit a receiver is costing us games. Try anyone else please.

Please Bench Mack - ODU-Z8 - 10-09-2021 04:35 PM

Agreed. And today, he didn't even have his signature one electrifying run. Instead he was 9/22, one beautiful TD pass, and two terrible interceptions.

We have nothing to lose by trying someone else at this point. We are 1-5 and the offense is struggling.

RE: Please Bench Mack - ODU2017 - 10-09-2021 04:37 PM

I defer 100% to the coach here. I agree with his idea of not benching guys too soon. However what exactly has Mack shown us in 6 games?

Kind of interested in how Wolff came out to run one play after the Mack INT. Was that to fake out the defense like we were subbing the QB or was something else going on?

RE: Please Bench Mack - ODU-Z8 - 10-09-2021 04:38 PM

(10-09-2021 04:37 PM)ODU2017 Wrote:  I defer 100% to the coach here. I agree with his idea of not benching guys too soon. However what exactly has Mack shown us in 6 games?

Kind of interested in how Wolff came out to run one play after the Mack INT. Was that to fake out the defense like we were subbing the QB or was something else going on?
It was because Mack lost his helmet on the previous play. Mandatory to come off the field for a play

RE: Please Bench Mack - ODU2017 - 10-09-2021 04:47 PM

What if we just start cycling through every QB including Williams and Smartt for every offensive series just to confuse the defense. Sort of like the baseball concept of pitching by committee.

RE: Please Bench Mack - ODUDon - 10-09-2021 04:49 PM

We’re 1-11 with Mack. Opposing teams can easily stop our running game with zero respect for our passing game. Mack’s interception at Marshall’s goal line before the half, then the throw it up and pray pass that ended the game we’re killers.

RE: Please Bench Mack - Cyniclone - 10-09-2021 05:32 PM

(10-09-2021 04:47 PM)ODU2017 Wrote:  What if we just start cycling through every QB including Williams and Smartt for every offensive series just to confuse the defense. Sort of like the baseball concept of pitching by committee.

I forget who said it first but it goes like this: If you have two starting quarterbacks, you have zero starting quarterbacks.

The only time that worked with any consistency at any high level, I believe, was when Spurrier did it in his early days at Florida. It’s too confusing to the receivers, the backs, the linemen, because different qbs have different tendencies and it’s hard enough to keep everything straight when it’s the same guy the whole way through. It’s not like switching pitchers — the infield and outfield don’t have to account for different play styles when they go to the pen.

RE: Please Bench Mack - Gilesfan - 10-09-2021 05:59 PM

(10-09-2021 04:49 PM)ODUDon Wrote:  We’re 1-11 with Mack. Opposing teams can easily stop our running game with zero respect for our passing game. Mack’s interception at Marshall’s goal line before the half, then the throw it up and pray pass that ended the game we’re killers.

Did that look like Marshall easily shut down our running game? I believe we ran for over 200 yards.

RE: Please Bench Mack - odufansam - 10-09-2021 06:54 PM

For the love of God please bench Mack. It’s brutal watching his terrible decision making skills every week.

RE: Please Bench Mack - ODUDon - 10-09-2021 07:00 PM

(10-09-2021 05:59 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(10-09-2021 04:49 PM)ODUDon Wrote:  We’re 1-11 with Mack. Opposing teams can easily stop our running game with zero respect for our passing game. Mack’s interception at Marshall’s goal line before the half, then the throw it up and pray pass that ended the game we’re killers.

Did that look like Marshall easily shut down our running game? I believe we ran for over 200 yards.

We scored 13 points. Who cares how many yards we gained. Marshall shut us down when it counted in the OT.

RE: Please Bench Mack - VB Monarch - 10-09-2021 07:03 PM

Wish I knew where to find stats by quarter. My recollection was we ran pretty well in first half, but by last part of 4th qtr (when it really mattered) they shut us down. They knew we wouldn't pass so they loaded up and shut us down.

RE: Please Bench Mack - ODUalum78 - 10-09-2021 07:11 PM

(10-09-2021 07:03 PM)VB Monarch Wrote:  Wish I knew where to find stats by quarter. My recollection was we ran pretty well in first half, but by last part of 4th qtr (when it really mattered) they shut us down. They knew we wouldn't pass so they loaded up and shut us down.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay/_/gameId/401282226

RE: Please Bench Mack - Gilesfan - 10-09-2021 07:41 PM

(10-09-2021 07:00 PM)ODUDon Wrote:  
(10-09-2021 05:59 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

We scored 13 points. Who cares how many yards we gained. Marshall shut us down when it counted in the OT.

Are you asking if our running game was **** down or how well we were able to convert into points?

RE: Please Bench Mack - Chillie Willie - 10-09-2021 08:44 PM

(10-09-2021 05:32 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(10-09-2021 04:47 PM)ODU2017 Wrote:  What if we just start cycling through every QB including Williams and Smartt for every offensive series just to confuse the defense. Sort of like the baseball concept of pitching by committee.

I forget who said it first but it goes like this: If you have two starting quarterbacks, you have zero starting quarterbacks.

The only time that worked with any consistency at any high level, I believe, was when Spurrier did it in his early days at Florida. It’s too confusing to the receivers, the backs, the linemen, because different qbs have different tendencies and it’s hard enough to keep everything straight when it’s the same guy the whole way through. It’s not like switching pitchers — the infield and outfield don’t have to account for different play styles when they go to the pen.

So if you have zero starting QBs do you then have two starting QBs?

No offense but what you are saying is a load of crap. Teams switch QBs all the time. I've seen it a few times just today. Notre Dame just did it tonight. Small adjustments may be necessary, but that is only if you make a change in the middle of a game. What some people are suggesting (I think) is changing QBs at the beginning of the week, have him work with the first team all week, and then start on Saturday. I know you were responding to a post about cycling through QBs (which was tongue-in-cheek) but you brought up the quote about starting QBs.

RE: Please Cut and Release Mack - ODUsmitty - 10-09-2021 11:58 PM

Mack sucks. I have said this all season, and he has done nothing to change that opinion. 3rd and goal from the eight yard line in OT and we run a draw because his passing is terrible. Whatever the change is, I'm all in. Defense played their hearts out. 2 INT's in second half were devastating. A legitimate threat to pass the ball opens up what looks to be a viable running game. No reason to stick with a QB that has been given ample opportunity and just cannot get it done. Let's all move on.

RE: Please Bench Mack - bit_9 - 10-10-2021 07:20 AM

Or, he's the best option? I don't know.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Hayden-Wolff-111063/RecruitInterests/ that kid was pretty stacked in offers. If he doesn't see the field this year, what are the odds he bolts and leaves us with 3 freshman behind center? He's been enrolled since 2019 and still a RS Fresh. He's wide open. That would put us in a tough spot.

I didn't see a bunch of dropped passes like the beginning of the season. Guys are starting to hold on to the ball. But 1 out of 10 wide open deep balls are overthrown. *

* that's just what it seems like. Not a accurate data point. =]

RE: Please Bench Mack - webster - 10-10-2021 08:27 AM

Playing Mack is playing to lose. I don’t care if he’s Lamar Jackson in practice. Because in game he’s like Jamarcus Russell. The insanity to not even try another QB at this point is infuriating. Especially since Wolff has looked really good IN games.
Mack with the rpo or handoffs is so slow that we are lucky to get a yard on most plays. His throwing is usually awful and inaccurate. He always seems to be in slow mode or indecisive. We would have won more games by now if we had even an average QB out there. Someone who could be relatively decisive and throw a decent ball.

RE: Please Bench Mack - Gilesfan - 10-10-2021 10:02 AM

(10-10-2021 07:20 AM)bit_9 Wrote:  Or, he's the best option? I don't know.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Hayden-Wolff-111063/RecruitInterests/ that kid was pretty stacked in offers. If he doesn't see the field this year, what are the odds he bolts and leaves us with 3 freshman behind center? He's been enrolled since 2019 and still a RS Fresh. He's wide open. That would put us in a tough spot.

I didn't see a bunch of dropped passes like the beginning of the season. Guys are starting to hold on to the ball. But 1 out of 10 wide open deep balls are overthrown. *

* that's just what it seems like. Not a accurate data point. =]

Yesterday was the first game That dropped passes were not a problem.

It wouldnt surprise me if Wolff left but I cant say I would lose any sleep over it. Maybe he eventually develops here (or elsewhere) but he has a ways to go.

RE: Please Bench Mack - monarx - 10-10-2021 10:07 AM

Whether it’s Wolff or someone else, we need a good QB. That seems to be the missing piece. We have a couple backups with potential, and a good recruit committed. I think we should go after a top caliber transfer to get us through one season while the younger guys develop and get stronger for a year. With the right QB, this team could be good in a year or 2.

RE: Please Bench Mack - Gilesfan - 10-10-2021 10:08 AM

(10-09-2021 08:44 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  
(10-09-2021 05:32 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  

So if you have zero starting QBs do you then have two starting QBs?

No offense but what you are saying is a load of crap. Teams switch QBs all the time. I've seen it a few times just today. Notre Dame just did it tonight. Small adjustments may be necessary, but that is only if you make a change in the middle of a game. What some people are suggesting (I think) is changing QBs at the beginning of the week, have him work with the first team all week, and then start on Saturday. I know you were responding to a post about cycling through QBs (which was tongue-in-cheek) but you brought up the quote about starting QBs.

Although, Im in favor of a passing attack, I think our staff wants a running based offense. With Wolff, he is not a threat to run and it could possibly impact the running game. Unless Wolff is a far superior passer, which he hasnt shown to this point, you run the risk of getting worse on offense.