CSNbbs
Regionalization concept to be presented Monday - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Regionalization concept to be presented Monday (/thread-931611.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Regionalization concept to be presented Monday - johnbragg - 10-10-2021 11:47 AM

(10-10-2021 11:39 AM)ESE84 Wrote:  This is a great post. This “stalking horse” option does give those schools who receive the “golden ticket” invite to the AAC an option to consider before paying exit fees from C-USA/Sunbelt and entrance fees to the AAC. The questions these schools will work through are:

1. How long do schools like SMU, Memphis, Navy football/Wichita State basketball and USF stay in the AAC? Same question for any schools thinking about the MWC and Boise State, San Diego State, and others.

Until they get a Big 12 invite. So maybe you lose a school or two in 2-3 years, or maybe they're stuck with you for the next 10-20 years. Boise State was the hottest property in lower-FBS in 2011-12, and here we are 10 years later, and they're still in the Mountain West.

But if you're Rice, and you have the chance to trade in UTEP, North Texas, Louisiana Tech, Marshall, Southern Miss etc for Tulane, Tulsa, SMU, Temple, I'm pretty sure you take it.

Quote:2. What will the new AAC media contract value be?

At least 3-4x the CUSA or Sun Belt media contract values.

Quote:3. Is there an “institutional fit” for likely AAC lifers such as Temple, East Carolina, Tulane and Tulsa?[/quote

They may not like it much where they are, but they're not going anywhere. They have nowhere to go. The UMass Plan--A-10 in basketball and Olympic sports, independent in FBS--is not an attractive option.

[quote]4. Do the finances work if I am flying my Olympic sports teams to Tulsa, Philadelphia, and Tampa?

You're already flying them to Norfolk, Miami, Charlotte and to wherever you get off the plane before getting on a bus to schlep to Huntington to play Marshall.

Quote:This will be an interesting week.

Nothing will happen this week in realignment at the FBS level.

(MVC could announce their 12th at any time, OVC or Southland could make a move to try to bounce back. But nothing at the FBS level).

RE: Regionalization concept to be presented Monday - ESE84 - 10-10-2021 12:15 PM

(10-10-2021 11:47 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  Nothing will happen this week in realignment at the FBS level.

(MVC could announce their 12th at any time, OVC or Southland could make a move to try to bounce back. But nothing at the FBS level).

I should have clarified my assumption. Despite the Sunbelt posters here, maybe the Sunbelt is willing to entertain an “eastern time zone” combined conference and a “central time zone” combined conference, plus UTEP. Of course, some overlap exists through Alabama, Tennessee, and Kentucky.

These conferences will have less travel than the AAC but south Florida might be trouble in the east and El Paso is trouble in the west.

RE: Regionalization concept to be presented Monday - spenser - 10-10-2021 12:27 PM

AAC will take UAB, Marshall, App State, and whoever else they want. Rice, UTSA, Louisiana Tech,Charlotte, and Georgia State have all been talked about atleast once.

The reamaining 16-20 teams will have to decide if they are going to be one huge conference with 2 divisions or 2 conferences.

RE: Regionalization concept to be presented Monday - johnbragg - 10-10-2021 12:31 PM

(10-10-2021 12:15 PM)ESE84 Wrote:  
(10-10-2021 11:47 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  Nothing will happen this week in realignment at the FBS level.

I should have clarified my assumption. Despite the Sunbelt posters here, maybe the Sunbelt is willing to entertain an “eastern time zone” combined conference and a “central time zone” combined conference, plus UTEP. Of course, some overlap exists through Alabama, Tennessee, and Kentucky.

These conferences will have less travel than the AAC but south Florida might be trouble in the east and El Paso is trouble in the west.

....and that's why the Sun Belt says "Hard pass." Notice which conference those destinations are in? (I'm not really sure that CUSA minds trips to the Miami area--the whole "presence in a big metro to help athletic and student recruiting" seems to indicate that you WANT Miami)

The Sun Belt schools aren't the ones crying about the terrible travel to Norfolk and El Paso. The Sun Belt footprint--Myrtle Beach SC to San MArcos TX--isn't all that much bigger than the ASUN footprint from Ft Myers FL to Louisville KY. And

RE: Regionalization concept to be presented Monday - solohawks - 10-10-2021 12:32 PM

This makes the most sense too me if you were to regionalism, but this is never going to happen

Eastern Bloc -
Temple, Marshall, ODU, Charlotte, App, ECU
Coastal, GA Southern, GA St, USF, FAU, FIU

Southwestern Bloc -
UTEP, UTSA, Texas St, N Texas, SMU,
Rice, Tulsa, Wichita/Navy, Tulane, Memphis,

Southern Bloc -
WKU, MTSU, Troy, S Alabama, UAB
Louisiana Monroe, USM, Arkansas St, Louisiana, Louisiana Tech

RE: Regionalization concept to be presented Monday - Attackcoog - 10-10-2021 12:35 PM

(10-09-2021 05:35 PM)AuzGrams Wrote:  This makes no sense unless the playoff expands.

Not that I’m against this, but only if the playoff expands.

And then it makes even less sense. If the top 6 conference champs get in---then building a conference that can consistently be that #6 conference would be FAR more important at the G5 level than geography. The real question is "What is the AAC strategy for being that 6th conference?".

Charlotte consistently getting mentioned sounds like a step in the wrong direction when it comes to being the #6 conference. However, the AAC may believe that teams that have had success in the past may fade in a league full of schools with substantially larger athletic budgets. Its true Marshall was just a .500 team when a bunch of those AAC schools were still sharing a league with Marshall. Thus, the AAC brass may believe the best path for long term AAC success and dominance rests on large athletic budgets as opposed to long successful track records. I can see the logic---but it seems counter intuitive to say that Charlotte, ODU, and UMass would be better options than AppSt, Marshall, and LaTech. Ultimately, its hard for me to buy completely into that theory. I think too many other factors (recruiting grounds, local competition, brand, facilities, etc) enter into that equation to rely simply on athletic budget as the "end all be all" invitation criteria.

RE: Regionalization concept to be presented Monday - johnbragg - 10-10-2021 01:12 PM

(10-10-2021 12:35 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  . I can see the logic---but it seems counter intuitive to say that Charlotte, ODU, and UMass would be better options than AppSt, Marshall, and LaTech. Ultimately, its hard for me to buy completely into that theory. I think too many other factors (recruiting grounds, local competition, brand, facilities, etc) enter into that equation to rely simply on athletic budget as the "end all be all" invitation criteria.

Maybe the logic is from the POV of the current AAC schools.

You want recruiting grounds, and winnable games. So ODU and Charlotte make sense (although ECU is kinda right there....). Play in Norfolk and Charlotte, win the games, pick up recruits in VA and NC, maybe make the playoff. Vs bring in Marshall and App State, maybe lose the games, and there are not a lot of players to recruit in Boone NC and Huntington WV.

UMass though, um, not great in any analysis

RE: Regionalization concept to be presented Monday - esayem - 10-10-2021 01:23 PM

(10-10-2021 01:12 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(10-10-2021 12:35 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  . I can see the logic---but it seems counter intuitive to say that Charlotte, ODU, and UMass would be better options than AppSt, Marshall, and LaTech. Ultimately, its hard for me to buy completely into that theory. I think too many other factors (recruiting grounds, local competition, brand, facilities, etc) enter into that equation to rely simply on athletic budget as the "end all be all" invitation criteria.

You want recruiting grounds, and winnable games. So ODU and Charlotte make sense (although ECU is kinda right there....). Play in Norfolk and Charlotte, win the games, pick up recruits in VA and NC, maybe make the playoff. Vs bring in Marshall and App State, maybe lose the games, and there are not a lot of players to recruit in Boone NC and Huntington WV.

Don’t you dare downplay the Minutemen’s win streak! If it weren’t for them, we’d all be speaking British!!!

RE: Regionalization concept to be presented Monday - Attackcoog - 10-10-2021 01:54 PM

Right---the AAC aleady has a school in N Carolina. Frankly, that area is so overfished. So many FBS schools relative to the population---that may be the reason so many of that areas teams continue to struggle for football performance that exceeds the below average to mediocre level. I mean Texas has 12 FBS schools--not exactly ideal----but the population of Texas is far larger (its nearly twice the population of N and S Carolina combined). If Im taking a school from that area its AppSt.

RE: Regionalization concept to be presented Monday - BruceMcF - 10-10-2021 02:38 PM

(10-10-2021 08:53 AM)All4One Wrote:  
(10-09-2021 11:26 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Only FBS conferences get a cut of the CFP money. Everyone thinks there will be more money in the next CFP deal. There is no way any G conference will give up FBS status.

That's actually not true. Granted, it's not much, and it's a far cry from the $90 Million shared by the Gang of 5 conferences, but still....

Forbes Article

Quote: FCS

$2.7 million collective pool

FCS conferences that provide the full NCAA-allowable complement of scholarships receive a collective pool, which includes the Big Sky, Big South, Colonial, Mid-Eastern, Missouri Valley, Ohio Valley, Southern, Southland, and SWAC.

The 3% compared to the Go5 distribution that the FCS full-scholarship conferences get would still leave Wedge's claim 97% true. The main qualifier is still that each academic qualifier FBS school would still be getting their academic fig-leaf $300K. That $300K per school is lumped into the headline ~$90m Go5 distribution to make the Go5 distribution look more impressive, but if a conference lost their FBS status, their FBS schools would still receive the $300K each (as long as they made the academic qualifying hurdle).

RE: Regionalization concept to be presented Monday - BruceMcF - 10-10-2021 03:43 PM

(10-10-2021 12:35 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(10-09-2021 05:35 PM)AuzGrams Wrote:  This makes no sense unless the playoff expands.

And then it makes even less sense. If the top 6 conference champs get in---then building a conference that can consistently be that #6
conference would be FAR more important at the G5 level than geography. The real question is "What is the AAC strategy for being that 6th conference?".

However, again, this is about the visible plan for AAC/CUSA/SBC into three regional conference which the people proposing may not themselves has any realistic chance of happening ...

... but is more likely to be a stalking horse for a later process of proposing CUSA/SBC into two more regional conferences.

So everyone pointing out "the AAC will never go for this" is like people pointing out that the stalking horse is an extreme long shot, when winning the race is not the point of putting the stalking horse into the field.

As far as what the AAC is going to do, no matter what any of us expect the AAC to do, CUSA and the SBC cannot make a move until AAC does, so the point of raising the plan now is to get CUSA and SBC Presidents thinking about it during the present period of uncertainty. Nothing will actually happen until after the AAC's move.

RE: Regionalization concept to be presented Monday - Wedge - 10-10-2021 03:49 PM

And then it makes even less sense. If the top 6 conference champs get in---then building a conference that can consistently be that #6 conference would be FAR more important at the G5 level than geography. The real question is "What is the AAC strategy for being that 6th conference?”

If the goal is to be most likely to get that 6th champ bid in a 6-6 playoff, then maybe the strategy shouldn’t be arguing about top-to-bottom football strength with the MWC. Maybe it should be just adding one new member, playing an 8-game conference schedule with 9 members, and pushing the two or three best football programs in the league to play 2 P opponents every year even if they have to go on the road in nearly all of those games.

Example: If Cincinnati makes the playoff this year, or even if they lose a game and just get the access spot, it won’t be because the AAC won a schlong-measuring contest with the other G conferences, it will be because Cincinnati beat Notre Dame in South Bend.

RE: Regionalization concept to be presented Monday - Crayton - 10-10-2021 03:55 PM

(10-09-2021 11:26 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(10-09-2021 11:19 PM)Crayton Wrote:  
(10-09-2021 11:02 PM)solohawks Wrote:  
(10-09-2021 10:55 PM)Crayton Wrote:  There are certainly details we don't have yet. CUSA has just as much a chance asking for a reshuffling with the SEC as they do the AAC.

Here are some potential features of whatever plan Delaney has up his sleeve:
1) Drop exit fees when there exists an invitation to another of the 3 conferences
2) Arrange their football conferences separate from Olympic Sports (so that sport no longer "drives" realignment)
3) Shared negotiation with TV partners, at least for their football
4) Shared flex dates for BBall (ya, like CUSA and SB do now)

The questions remain:
1) HOW do you best arrange the football product, and
2) CAN you get current AAC schools the same or better revenue stream?

1. No one is going to forfeit exit fee money unless say a UTEP volunteered to leave a now hypothetical eastern tilting CUSA

2. That would be nice but the NCAA rules don't allow it

The AAC is simply going to take who they want and USM is likely to join the Sunbelt with an Eastern team

I am still trying to figure out what the NCAA holds over these conferences. Half a dozen "non-FBS conferences have FBS teams". Can't the AAC, CUSA, and SB simply become "non-FBS conferences with FBS teams”?

Only FBS conferences get a cut of the CFP money. Everyone thinks there will be more money in the next CFP deal. There is no way any G conference will give up FBS status.

I pointed it out before: BYU (and others) gets a cut of the CFP money and they are not in an FBS conference. The CFP payouts are negotiated. The 32 AAC/CUSA/SB teams can continue to get their 30 shares, as now. The NCAA, I think, has nothing to do with it.

RE: Regionalization concept to be presented Monday - Fighting Muskie - 10-10-2021 04:24 PM

The Muskie Plan:

UAB and UTSA to the AAC

Conference Sunbelt USA West:
West: UTEP, Texas St, UNT, Rice, LA Tech
East: Ark St, ULM, ULL, USM, USA

Conference Sunbelt USA East:
North: Marshall, ODU, App St, Charlotte, WKU, MTSU
South: CCU, GA SO, GA St, Troy, FAU, FIU

RE: Regionalization concept to be presented Monday - Attackcoog - 10-10-2021 05:03 PM

(10-10-2021 03:49 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

And then it makes even less sense. If the top 6 conference champs get in---then building a conference that can consistently be that #6 conference would be FAR more important at the G5 level than geography. The real question is "What is the AAC strategy for being that 6th conference?”

If the goal is to be most likely to get that 6th champ bid in a 6-6 playoff, then maybe the strategy shouldn’t be arguing about top-to-bottom football strength with the MWC. Maybe it should be just adding one new member, playing an 8-game conference schedule with 9 members, and pushing the two or three best football programs in the league to play 2 P opponents every year even if they have to go on the road in nearly all of those games.

Example: If Cincinnati makes the playoff this year, or even if they lose a game and just get the access spot, it won’t be because the AAC won a schlong-measuring contest with the other G conferences, it will be because Cincinnati beat Notre Dame in South Bend.

That was happenstance. More often than not---that game wont exist--especially considering the coming Alliance and more nine-game conference schedules. What will matter is more ranked teams in your conference. In 2015, Houston played Vandy and Louisville--neither of which were ranked. But Houston ended up playing 3 ranked teams because Memphis, Navy, and Temple all ended up ranked that year. Eight of the typical G5's 12 games will come from WITHIN the conference (13 if you include the CCG). Improving the internal schedule remains the best way to stay the #6 conference in my opinion.

RE: Regionalization concept to be presented Monday - BruceMcF - 10-10-2021 05:14 PM

You want recruiting grounds, and winnable games. So ODU and Charlotte make sense (although ECU is kinda right there....). Play in Norfolk and Charlotte, win the games, pick up recruits in VA and NC, maybe make the playoff. Vs bring in Marshall and App State, maybe lose the games, and there are not a lot of players to recruit in Boone NC and Huntington WV. ...

I'm not sure it's versus Marshall or App State ... it kind of seems like either ODU or Charlotte are satisfying one set of similar interests and failing to satisfy another set of similar interests, so they seem more like alternatives than a complementary pair.

I personally doubt that either one is in the picture if the AAC expands by two, but if they expand by four, with UAB, Rice/UTSA and (eg) Marshall/App State, I can see ODU as one of the schools coming into the frame when deciding on #12.

A lot will, of course, depend on advice from ESPN channeled to the AAC via a "media consultant", and we can guess what some of that advice might be, but the core advice of whether to expand to 10 or 12 FB schools is going to get into ESPN analysis that we are not privy to.

RE: Regionalization concept to be presented Monday - Stugray2 - 10-10-2021 06:34 PM

None of the candidates has great TV audience, they'd all be at or near the bottom of the AAC; it hardly matters if one has 300K fans per game and another 175K, it's too small to matter. Further none of these schools matches the AAC average budget, and some schools people here list are closer to half the budget size.

Given that reality these schools are back fill mostly. That favors airports and recruiting territories. Without a doubt FAU and UTSA win that. That Charlotte has traction says that ECU is too remote and rural to help with recruiting in NC. It also says that schools like App State and Marshall are not likely to be considered for that same reason. North Texas also fits, but hard to see them taken as SMU already covers DFW and north Texas. I agree that ODU and Charlotte fill the same niche. It's one or the other, not both, and ODU seems to be out of the picture.

My bet would be the American goes to 12 and the four they add are UAB, UTSA, FAU and Charlotte. But it could be they just go to 10 and it could be any two of these.

What the SBC does depends entirely upon what the American does first.

RE: Regionalization concept to be presented Monday - seaking4steel - 10-10-2021 06:51 PM

(10-10-2021 06:34 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  None of the candidates has great TV audience, they'd all be at or near the bottom of the AAC; it hardly matters if one has 300K fans per game and another 175K, it's too small to matter. Further none of these schools matches the AAC average budget, and some schools people here list are closer to half the budget size.

Given that reality these schools are back fill mostly. That favors airports and recruiting territories. Without a doubt FAU and UTSA win that. That Charlotte has traction says that ECU is too remote and rural to help with recruiting in NC. It also says that schools like App State and Marshall are not likely to be considered for that same reason. North Texas also fits, but hard to see them taken as SMU already covers DFW and north Texas. I agree that ODU and Charlotte fill the same niche. It's one or the other, not both, and ODU seems to be out of the picture.

My bet would be the American goes to 12 and the four they add are UAB, UTSA, FAU and Charlotte. But it could be they just go to 10 and it could be any two of these.

App State and Marshall got over 1 Million viewers on ESPN for a Thursday Night game (they were competing against the NFL for views too). App State and ECU got 36k in the stands in Charlotte on a Thursday night. Charlotte couldn't even sell out their small stadium when Duke came to town.

RE: Regionalization concept to be presented Monday - Wedge - 10-10-2021 06:52 PM

(10-10-2021 05:03 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(10-10-2021 03:49 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

That was happenstance. More often than not---that game wont exist--especially considering the coming Alliance and more nine-game conference schedules. What will matter is more ranked teams in your conference. In 2015, Houston played Vandy and Louisville--neither of which were ranked. But Houston ended up playing 3 ranked teams because Memphis, Navy, and Temple all ended up ranked that year. Eight of the typical G5's 12 games will come from WITHIN the conference (13 if you include the CCG). Improving the internal schedule remains the best way to stay the #6 conference in my opinion.

There aren’t enough teams available to the AAC that would substantially strengthen football depth in comparison to the MWC. Adding as few new members as possible is the way to best help football — though the conference may have non-football reasons behind the choices they end up making.

The P road games will always be there because those teams want home games they don’t have to return. And, obviously if a conference is encouraging their best teams to schedule that way, the idea will be to schedule opponents that might carry weight with a committee, not teams like Vanderbilt.

RE: Regionalization concept to be presented Monday - Stugray2 - 10-10-2021 07:54 PM

(10-10-2021 06:51 PM)seaking4steel Wrote:  
(10-10-2021 06:34 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  None of the candidates has great TV audience, they'd all be at or near the bottom of the AAC; it hardly matters if one has 300K fans per game and another 175K, it's too small to matter. Further none of these schools matches the AAC average budget, and some schools people here list are closer to half the budget size.

App State and Marshall got over 1 Million viewers on ESPN for a Thursday Night game (they were competing against the NFL for views too). App State and ECU got 36k in the stands in Charlotte on a Thursday night. Charlotte couldn't even sell out their small stadium when Duke came to town.

LO, it was on ESPN and the ONLY game. That's actually not a killer rating for Thursday night. Temple vs. South Florida would do that well. That weekend a bunch of games had between 3 and 6 million on Saturday.

How do they do on crowded Saturday? It's just not enough to matter at all.