CSNbbs
Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall (/thread-931471.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - CAJUNNATION - 10-07-2021 07:06 PM

(10-07-2021 07:02 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  …. who improves the Belt in some way, preferably in football

That would be UTSA.

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - GaSoEagle - 10-07-2021 07:08 PM

Let s try to get them then

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - GaSoEagle - 10-07-2021 07:24 PM

Some guy on the CUSA board is saying Marshall and UAB to the AAC next week and AAC will stop at 10

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - Bobcat87 - 10-07-2021 07:26 PM

(10-07-2021 07:24 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  Some guy on the CUSA board is saying Marshall and UAB to the AAC next week and AAC will stop at 10

Where’s Herdfan129 to confirm?

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - FairwayEagle - 10-07-2021 07:27 PM

(10-07-2021 06:54 PM)SMUfan Wrote:  
(10-07-2021 01:41 PM)Cinciflame Wrote:  
(10-07-2021 01:37 PM)HERDDDDD Wrote:  Liberty

Don’t say Liberty, Panama magically appears in the next comment.

Liberty!

[Image: butters-biggie-smalls.gif]

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - GaSoEagle - 10-07-2021 07:28 PM

Haha. I m just ready for the AAC to get their expansion done

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - EigenEagle - 10-07-2021 07:28 PM

Explain to me why UTSA adds more in football than WKU. I don't like recency bias and really WKU has done more in football and is probably the best basketball program in both CUSA and the SBC.

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - arkstfan - 10-07-2021 07:32 PM

(10-07-2021 01:42 PM)JTApps1 Wrote:  I personally like JMU if Marshall is out. They're a football first school with good attendance, and they're located in a smaller market similar to most SBC schools. I'm just not sure the western schools would sign off on them but maybe they would as long as USM is still on board.

I also don't see the eastern schools voting for two western additions so Rice and UTSA are out if we're staying at 12 with USM being #11.

If you think the presidents would say no to Rice you don’t know university presidents.

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - Reggie Favre - 10-07-2021 08:21 PM

(10-07-2021 05:48 PM)HarborPointe Wrote:  
(10-07-2021 01:49 PM)slycat Wrote:  Let's just say AAC adds UAB and Marshall and MW adds no one. Is USM so far out of the door they leave CUSA at that point?

Yes.

Quote:And if they are is there another team that seems to want out as bad as they do.

I can’t speak for them, but I have to think if Marshall, UAB, and USM all bail, WKU would be quickly packing its bags.

And where would they go and who would take them and their 9,000 fans per game? Certainly the SBC is too smart to accept them back.

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - TxSt1992 - 10-07-2021 08:35 PM

Assuming that Southern Miss does make the switch then that's a solid western choice. I personally voted for JMU, mainly because I see them as an App St 2.0 or maybe Marshall 2.0, they have a strong history in FCS will more than likely hit the ground running in FBS like App St and MU did. Having said all that, the correct answer is whichever makes the eastern schools happy. FAU, WKU, UNCC, UAB whichever schools has the biggest consensus then that's the one we get.
On another note, I think it's important to add two schools while we enjoy a certain level of stability. It's important to know that we can maintain 8 or more schools should we suffer a raid.
While Southern Miss is an easy number one pick for the western division, a solid #2 would be Missouri State. Add an entirely different state without being to far out of the footprint, excellent olympic sports, excellent facilities and would be only the 2nd FBS program in a state with a population of over 6 million. Would need to upgrade stadium, but arrangements could be made for that.
As far as Texas teams, IMO, only UTSA would bring any excitement to TXST fans and more than likely will go either AAC or MWC before considering SBC ( Big mistake IMO but it is what it is).

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - Troy_Fan_15 - 10-07-2021 08:47 PM

(10-07-2021 08:35 PM)TxSt1992 Wrote:  Assuming that Southern Miss does make the switch then that's a solid western choice. I personally voted for JMU, mainly because I see them as an App St 2.0 or maybe Marshall 2.0, they have a strong history in FCS will more than likely hit the ground running in FBS like App St and MU did. Having said all that, the correct answer is whichever makes the eastern schools happy. FAU, WKU, UNCC, UAB whichever schools has the biggest consensus then that's the one we get.
On another note, I think it's important to add two schools while we enjoy a certain level of stability. It's important to know that we can maintain 8 or more schools should we suffer a raid.
While Southern Miss is an easy number one pick for the western division, a solid #2 would be Missouri State. Add an entirely different state without being to far out of the footprint, excellent olympic sports, excellent facilities and would be only the 2nd FBS program in a state with a population of over 6 million. Would need to upgrade stadium, but arrangements could be made for that.
As far as Texas teams, IMO, only UTSA would bring any excitement to TXST fans and more than likely will go either AAC or MWC before considering SBC ( Big mistake IMO but it is what it is).

Texas State does have a long term series with UTSA scheduled so that should be good. I know it eats up a OOC matchup but I think UNT and UTSA are going to push to join the MW. Also Texas State just needs to improve because I think a rivalry could develop with Louisiana. Y’all are only like 6 hours apart. That’s not terrible.

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - AppDawg - 10-07-2021 08:48 PM

If Marshall is off the table, we should stay at 10. No other 2-school combo brings enough value to go to 12 and further divide the pie.

Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - DawgNBama - 10-07-2021 08:49 PM

Crazy as it may sound, I do believe that Liberty should get a look. If they reject, no harm in just checking.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - arkstfan - 10-07-2021 08:53 PM

(10-07-2021 08:49 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  Crazy as it may sound, I do believe that Liberty should get a look. If they reject, no harm in just checking.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I don’t believe there is any risk Liberty says no. They can’t compete for Access as an independent.

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - GaSoEagle - 10-07-2021 08:59 PM

I m not convinced Marshall is going to the AAC

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - RockyMtnHerd - 10-07-2021 09:01 PM

(10-07-2021 08:59 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  I m not convinced Marshall is going to the AAC

Agreed. The only thing I'm convinced is that Marshall won't stay in CUSA. We'll land in the AAC or Belt, with the Belt the likelier outcome.

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - bluephi1914 - 10-07-2021 09:02 PM

If Marshall is off the table, I don’t see a day where WKU would join the SBC. This is due to the feeling that SBC basketball isn’t as strong as CUSA basketball. So, if Marshall is off the table (and we are able to hang on to App State) I feel we will add USM and FAU. Both adds will help by giving the East a school and giving the West a school. This should help with travel budgets. The addition of the USM brand (and what value it still has from its’ glory days) will help the conference with regional and national sponsorship’s. These moves would leave the SBC in a favorable position should another round of realignment come.

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - Troy_Fan_15 - 10-07-2021 09:02 PM

I really want Southern Miss more than Marshall or anyone. That’s the only reason we should go to 12. 12 for football is perfect. Convince UTA and Little Rock to stay for travel partner reasons.

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - GSU-Blue - 10-07-2021 09:14 PM

No F_Us. Gross. Any of the others would be fine.

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - herdfan129 - 10-07-2021 09:18 PM

(10-07-2021 06:23 PM)AppManDG Wrote:  
(10-07-2021 03:02 PM)Vobserver Wrote:  I would rather UTSA, but I voted JMU because when USM comes, all the East coast babies will whine if the next taken is more than 200 miles from the Atlantic. JMU is solid in football, has good hoops, decent baseball and fantastic softball, and is a good cultural fit. I honestly believe there is no other school in the East that might be available that brings more to the conference.

There are 8 SB schools in the central time zone, 4 in the east. If wanting just a little bit of balance is crying in the eyes of the western schools then maybe the eastern schools do need to look elsewhere.

04-rock05-stirthepot04-cheers07-coffee3