CSNbbs
Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall (/thread-931471.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - chiefsfan - 10-07-2021 01:26 PM

I am NOT saying the Herd are out. I AM saying that we can comfortably say they are talking to the AAC.

Assuming that Southern Miss is still good to go. What should the league do next? Setting this as a poll, but you are open to discuss

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - BeatWestern! - 10-07-2021 01:30 PM

(10-07-2021 01:26 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  I am NOT saying the Herd are out. I AM saying that we can comfortably say they are talking to the AAC.

Assuming that Southern Miss is still good to go. What should the league do next? Setting this as a poll, but you are open to discuss

As a MAC guy, my hunch is that WKU would be an ideal substitute and appealing to the western SBC schools since WKU is situated closer to them than an east coast school such as JMU.

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - AstroCajun - 10-07-2021 01:33 PM

I picked Rice for baseball, and as a good travel partner for Tx State. I wouldn't be upset if the answer was either WKU or UTSA.

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - AppinVA - 10-07-2021 01:37 PM

Nothing wrong with staying at 11 for a little while.

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - HERDDDDD - 10-07-2021 01:37 PM

Liberty

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - Cinciflame - 10-07-2021 01:41 PM

(10-07-2021 01:37 PM)HERDDDDD Wrote:  Liberty

Don’t say Liberty, Panama magically appears in the next comment.

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - JTApps1 - 10-07-2021 01:42 PM

I personally like JMU if Marshall is out. They're a football first school with good attendance, and they're located in a smaller market similar to most SBC schools. I'm just not sure the western schools would sign off on them but maybe they would as long as USM is still on board.

I also don't see the eastern schools voting for two western additions so Rice and UTSA are out if we're staying at 12 with USM being #11.

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - AppYosef - 10-07-2021 01:42 PM

Other <no one> *also no USM if no Marshall

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - slycat - 10-07-2021 01:43 PM

Who is everyone picking with other?

UTSA
Rice
WKU
after that the east can decide because none appeal to me

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - RamblinRedWolf - 10-07-2021 01:44 PM

More I've thought about it I think nab USM and if we can't get Marshall sit pat with 11 and bide our time (wait and see how other things shake out)

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - slycat - 10-07-2021 01:49 PM

(10-07-2021 01:42 PM)JTApps1 Wrote:  I personally like JMU if Marshall is out. They're a football first school with good attendance, and they're located in a smaller market similar to most SBC schools. I'm just not sure the western schools would sign off on them but maybe they would as long as USM is still on board.

I also don't see the eastern schools voting for two western additions so Rice and UTSA are out if we're staying at 12 with USM being #11.

You are likely correct. Let's just say AAC adds UAB and Marshall and MW adds no one. Is USM so far out of the door they leave CUSA at that point? And if they are is there another team that seems to want out as bad as they do.

I think both CUSA and SBC would then turn to JMU to even things up. The real question could be, who does JMU prefer? In CUSA they have ODU and Charlotte. In the SBC they have App St.

I could see USM sitting still if only two teams move at this point. I really hope they join. They are a natural fit and a fantastic program to add.

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - iStoopify - 10-07-2021 01:52 PM

Nobody

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - Georgia_Power_Company - 10-07-2021 01:57 PM

WKU or UTSA would be my next choices after USM and Marshall. I was disappointed when WKU left right as Georgia Southern joined but overall they fit quite nicely in the eastern side of the conference and if rumor can be believed they want to re-join. I also think UTSA would be a great get as well and finally give Texas St that football playing 2nd Texas team we all know they desire.

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - Troy_Fan_15 - 10-07-2021 02:00 PM

I think my top 3 options would be JMU, WKU, and Missouri State.

Even though JMU stretches our footprint quite considerably it's not that much worse than Marshall would and they would be immediately competitive.

I'm not sure WKU would return but the SBC is in a MUCH BETTER place than when they left so I'm open to their return if they wanted back in.

Missouri State moves South Alabama to the east and then we can just play every team in the opposing division every other year. Missouri State also has nice facilities and a really good baseball team which will fit in great here. Football isn't the best right now but that doesn't mean it can't be improved with improved spending and care.

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - Fanof49ASU - 10-07-2021 02:02 PM

None of the above

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - Soobahk40050 - 10-07-2021 02:05 PM

(10-07-2021 01:42 PM)JTApps1 Wrote:  I personally like JMU if Marshall is out. They're a football first school with good attendance, and they're located in a smaller market similar to most SBC schools. I'm just not sure the western schools would sign off on them but maybe they would as long as USM is still on board.

Don't know the politics of the all the schools, but if USM comes and you wanted another western school, USA moves east and that solves the Troy issue just as well as if Troy moved west with two eastern schools. It just means the "mid-atlantic" division is a bit larger.

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - Georgia_Power_Company - 10-07-2021 02:12 PM

(10-07-2021 02:00 PM)Troy_Fan_15 Wrote:  I think my top 3 options would be JMU, WKU, and Missouri State.

Even though JMU stretches our footprint quite considerably it's not that much worse than Marshall would and they would be immediately competitive.

I'm not sure WKU would return but the SBC is in a MUCH BETTER place than when they left so I'm open to their return if they wanted back in.

Missouri State moves South Alabama to the east and then we can just play every team in the opposing division every other year. Missouri State also has nice facilities and a really good baseball team which will fit in great here. Football isn't the best right now but that doesn't mean it can't be improved with improved spending and care.

Missouri St has actually improved football and is a top 20 FCS team or at least they were last time I looked.

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - EigenEagle - 10-07-2021 02:18 PM

I want the Wuckoo Fightin' Red Blobs.

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - ericsaid - 10-07-2021 02:24 PM

(10-07-2021 01:30 PM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  
(10-07-2021 01:26 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  I am NOT saying the Herd are out. I AM saying that we can comfortably say they are talking to the AAC.

As a MAC guy, my hunch is that WKU would be an ideal substitute and appealing to the western SBC schools since WKU is situated closer to them than an east coast school such as JMU.

We don't need more western schools, do we? We need more Eastern based programs. Marshall is ideal for basketball and because there is a history with App State and Georgia Southern. Also there are a ton of West Virginians in the Carolinas.

If not Marshall, I wouldn't mind FAU. If their resident poster is to be believed, they wouldn't come without FIU so that's a non-starter.

Give me Liberty or give me death...I know which one I'd choose.

WKU would be a good addition but underwhelming from a fan interest standpoint. Another program App has no history with that driving to is out of the question for most people.

JMU is fine as long as we can ban streamers from stadiums.

RE: Lets talk Alternatives to Marshall - BankerCajun - 10-07-2021 02:28 PM

Missouri State also has a good basketball team, and correct me if I am wrong, didn’t they make it to the college World Series recently??

I like college baseball..