CSNbbs
Calkins - talked to people "deeply involved"- state of Liberty Bowl significant issue - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Calkins - talked to people "deeply involved"- state of Liberty Bowl significant issue (/thread-931232.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Calkins - talked to people "deeply involved"- state of Liberty Bowl significant issue - TIGERCITY - 10-04-2021 09:43 AM

Said this morning on his show after talking with Strickland. During the interview itself Strickland said they have architects looking at possible renovations. Strickland said the cost will have to be borne by the University. He added that Cincinnati's stadium was renovated without State or City money. Strickland said he did not know what the architect would suggest and did not preclude the possibility that renovations would be more costly then simply building a new stadium. After the interview Calkins said that he has talked to people "deeply involved" in the Big 12 expansion and that one of the primary issues that needs to be addressed the state of the Liberty Bowl. So there you have it --little left to the imagination - next move?

RE: Calkins - talked to people "deeply involved"- state of Liberty Bowl sign... - jets521 - 10-04-2021 10:04 AM

(10-04-2021 09:43 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  So there you have it --little left to the imagination - next move?

new stadium in West Memphis, Arkansas

RE: Calkins - talked to people "deeply involved"- state of Liberty Bowl sign... - macgar32 - 10-04-2021 10:10 AM

(10-04-2021 09:43 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  Said this morning on his show after talking with Strickland. During the interview itself Strickland said they have architects looking at possible renovations. Strickland said the cost will have to be borne by the University. He added that Cincinnati's stadium was renovated without State or City money. Strickland said he did not know what the architect would suggest and did not preclude the possibility that renovations would be more costly then simply building a new stadium. After the interview Calkins said that he has talked to people "deeply involved" in the Big 12 expansion and that one of the primary issues that needs to be addressed the state of the Liberty Bowl. So there you have it --little left to the imagination - next move?

If the city has to foot the bill there would need to be some control ceded by the City to the University...That only seems logical.

RE: Calkins - talked to people "deeply involved"- state of Liberty Bowl sign... - MemTigers1998 - 10-04-2021 10:34 AM

(10-04-2021 09:43 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  So there you have it --little left to the imagination - next move?

Implosion?

RE: Calkins - talked to people "deeply involved"- state of Liberty Bowl sign... - TIGERCITY - 10-04-2021 10:36 AM

I wonder if the University would accept if the City offered to deed the Liberty Bowl and it's ground to the university for $1? I doubt the University would go for it--- but there's something distasteful about putting University money in the city's stadium that they refuse or can't keep up to standards. And the comparison to Cincinnati - University of Cincinnati actually owns that structure.

RE: Calkins - talked to people "deeply involved"- state of Liberty Bowl sign... - griffin - 10-04-2021 10:39 AM

(10-04-2021 10:36 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  I wonder if the University would accept if the City offered to deed the Liberty Bowl and it's ground to the university for $1? I doubt the University would go for it--- but there's something distasteful about putting University money in the city's stadium that they refuse or can't keep up to standards. And the comparison to Cincinnati - University of Cincinnati actually owns that structure.

That occurred, the university passed.

RE: Calkins - talked to people "deeply involved"- state of Liberty Bowl significant issue - former guest - 10-04-2021 10:39 AM

Says "the cost would have to be borne by the University." But let them want a new toy and they will bend over the University to help fund what they want. Always taking advantage of the school for their benefit. It's about time that relationship reversed for once.

RE: Calkins - talked to people "deeply involved"- state of Liberty Bowl sign... - MemTigers1998 - 10-04-2021 10:42 AM

I thought we were told back in 2016 that we were in? More than 1 “insider” has posted that on here. Did the stadium fall into disrepair in the last 5 years?

RE: Calkins - talked to people "deeply involved"- state of Liberty Bowl sign... - TIGERCITY - 10-04-2021 10:44 AM

(10-04-2021 10:39 AM)griffin Wrote:  
(10-04-2021 10:36 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  I wonder if the University would accept if the City offered to deed the Liberty Bowl and it's ground to the university for $1? I doubt the University would go for it--- but there's something distasteful about putting University money in the city's stadium that they refuse or can't keep up to standards. And the comparison to Cincinnati - University of Cincinnati actually owns that structure.

Makes total sense. Strickland said the city loses money on the Liberty Bowl every year. Of course he'll have money for the FedExForum and AutoZone Park since the residents of those entities can move.

RE: Calkins - talked to people "deeply involved"- state of Liberty Bowl sign... - Boots - 10-04-2021 10:45 AM

4 options....and one of first 3 options has to get done.

1) Best option: OCS stadium....$200mm, 40k capacity. University has complete control.

2) Great option: New stadium just off campus, UAB type set up (city can use for events and the city helps in cost), 40k capacity, $200mm

3) Good option: Complete renovation and makeover of LB, $75-100mm, needs to feel like new stadium, reduced capacity to 40-45k. Keeping capacity at over 45k is non-starter. The capacity HAS to be reduced. The empty seats are killing demand, the atmosphere, and outside perception when those around the country see the empty seats.

4) Do nothing....get left behind.

RE: Calkins - talked to people "deeply involved"- state of Liberty Bowl sign... - eltigre - 10-04-2021 10:47 AM

Money pit

RE: Calkins - talked to people "deeply involved"- state of Liberty Bowl sign... - eltigre - 10-04-2021 10:49 AM

(10-04-2021 10:34 AM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  

Implosion?

04-rock Have a VIP watching area. Donations of $$$+ get you a seat and funds go towards OCS construction. LOL

RE: Calkins - talked to people "deeply involved"- state of Liberty Bowl sign... - yakko - 10-04-2021 10:50 AM

too many ADA issues that the university would be liable for taking care of.

RE: Calkins - talked to people "deeply involved"- state of Liberty Bowl sign... - Tigers2B1 - 10-04-2021 10:55 AM

(10-04-2021 10:50 AM)yakko Wrote:  

too many ADA issues that the university would be liable for taking care of.

Yep the city would love if the University would accept financial responsibility for it's sixty years of neglect. Isn't that what Strickland is really suggesting here?

RE: Calkins - talked to people "deeply involved"- state of Liberty Bowl sign... - Boots - 10-04-2021 10:57 AM

The stadium naming deal caught the university off guard. The city is very concerned about losing the university as its primary tenant and trying to keep the business. They know a LB being used 2x per year (LB game, SHC) is going to be bad and put the city in a tough situation....especially after the Liberty Bowl park investment. The city has a lot of risk here of losing their primary tenant.

The university needs to take charge here and state the course. They know what they need. They have a lot of leverage.

RE: Calkins - talked to people "deeply involved"- state of Liberty Bowl sign... - shere khan - 10-04-2021 11:02 AM

(10-04-2021 10:39 AM)former guest Wrote:  Says "the cost would have to be borne by the University." But let them want a new toy and they will bend over the University to help fund what they want. Always taking advantage of the school for their benefit. It's about time that relationship reversed for once.

Same as it ever was.

RE: Calkins - talked to people "deeply involved"- state of Liberty Bowl sign... - tigerlands - 10-04-2021 11:10 AM

Whoever is the Big 12 people "deeply involved" in the Big 12 expansion that says the stadium is a problem or needs to be addressed sounds ridiculous. Why would the stadium be an issue at all, unless it was unsafe or hazardous. The ADA issues have been put to bed. It doesn't adversely affect the conference in any way. Calkins dropped the ball by not asking for an explanation or follow up. In fact I doubt anyone with Big 12 ties said that at all.

RE: Calkins - talked to people "deeply involved"- state of Liberty Bowl sign... - geosnooker2000 - 10-04-2021 11:13 AM

That was a while ago.

Not that I approve of the idea...

RE: Calkins - talked to people "deeply involved"- state of Liberty Bowl sign... - holyterror - 10-04-2021 11:16 AM

How trustworthy is Calkins?
Not being snarky here, I’m new to the discussion.

RE: Calkins - talked to people "deeply involved"- state of Liberty Bowl sign... - TGTiger - 10-04-2021 11:38 AM

https://dailymemphian.com/section/sportsmemphis-tigers-football/article/24501/memphis-architect-liberty-bowl-evaluation-cost-renovation