CSNbbs
Rice v TSU postgame - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: Rice v TSU postgame (/thread-930555.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Rice v TSU postgame - Intellectual_Brutality - 09-25-2021 10:20 PM

Re: struggling defense, could it be that losing the two best players, the Alldredge to Missouri and the star DL to injury, had humongous effects?

Just finished watching the replay.
- Impressed with Constantine. Solid all around, including with his legs
- Myers showing he's our best back
- Breakout game for Bailey, looks very twitchy. Ditto Montgomery
- The McCaffrey running game effective, and the switching between the two QBs kind of worked, as annoying as it was. Probably won't work against better competition, who can stack the box against the run-only QB more effectively
- Kicking is awful
- Losing our top two WRs was a huge loss, and really lowers the ceiling on this season

RE: Rice v TSU postgame - Fort Bend Owl - 09-25-2021 10:23 PM

Chamberlain too and Schuman. Both of those guys could return though sooner rather than later. We need them back for sure.

RE: Rice v TSU postgame - mrbig - 09-25-2021 10:27 PM

(09-25-2021 10:20 PM)Intellectual_Brutality Wrote:  Re: struggling defense, could it be that losing the two best players, the star LB to Missouri and the star DL to injury, had humongous effects?

Arkansas is still undefeated after beating A&M today, considering how the defense has performed after the first 2.5 quarters of that game, it is pretty amazing they looked so good at the beginning of the season.

RE: Rice v TSU postgame - westsidewolf1989 - 09-25-2021 10:51 PM

Got the W. Another must-win next weekend to keep tracking towards a bowl.

RE: Rice v TSU postgame - WRCisforgotten79 - 09-26-2021 12:07 AM

TSU came into the game averaging 150.5 yards passing per game. Tonight: 357.

It's clear that the Rice defense is horrible, and likely will struggle all season. I would expect Rice to be favored by about 4.5 against Southern Miss, but, even if Rice gets a lead, they've shown no indication that they could manage a stop.

Those teams which use the run as a high percentage of their offense tend to have issues defending the pass, since they just don't see complex passing schemes in practice.

For the record, Rice has had 159 rushing attempts and just 101 passes (61.2% rushing).

Only 1 of the top 10 teams in the country had over 60% rushing attempts - Georgia in their 62-0 destruction of Vanderbilt had 63.2%. Clearly, that was an outlier, as the Bulldogs purposely stopped trying to do anything against the Commodores' team that managed just 77 yards of total offense.

RE: Rice v TSU postgame - Owl 69/70/75 - 09-26-2021 12:42 AM

(09-26-2021 12:07 AM)WRCisforgotten79 Wrote:  Those teams which use the run as a high percentage of their offense tend to have issues defending the pass, since they just don't see complex passing schemes in practice.

Just as teams that rely heavily on the pass tend to have issues being physical enough to defend the run. Which is one reason why I favor a balanced offense that can both run and pass, and can show both effectively to its defense during practices. A big weakness of Ken's Rice teams, particularly is later ones, was difficulty defending the pass. If my approach is going to be play sound defense, win the kicking game, and do something different on offense, then that something different on offense needs to be able to give that defense effective running and passing looks in practice.

"Throw to score, run to win," per long time (and successful) NFL OC Ron Erhardt. You have to be able to do both. I'd like to see an offense run 45 times for 225 yards (5.0 yards per play) and throw 30 times for 225 yards (7.5 yards per play), total offense 450 yards, with 25 first downs, scoring 30 points, and 35 minutes time of possession. Conversely, I would like my defense to limit the opposing offense to 15 first downs, 20 points, and 25 minutes TOP. If you hit those goals, the only way you can lose is with turnovers and/or kicking game errors. If you keep making first downs and don't turn the ball over, eventually you have to score a TD.

Comparing Rice to those objectives through 4 games, the offense is averaging 19.5 first downs, 18 points, and 32 minutes TOP, with per game averages of 40 rushes for 178 yards (4.5 per carry) and 25 passes for 178 yards (7.1 yards per attempt), 356 yards total offense, and defensively per game yielding 22 first downs, 43.5 points, 28 minutes TOP, with 39 rushes for 230 yards (5.9 per carry) and 28 passes for 232 yards (8.35 per attempt), total 462 yards. Considering that at least two of the four games have been stepping up a level in competition (and arguably down in one), those stats aren't godawful (really a bit better than i would have expected), but not what you can build a winner with. In our remaining games against what should be peer competition, we need to 1) up the offensive production by 100 yards/game, 2) decrease the defensive yield by a comparable amount, 3) reverse the trend in turnovers (currently minus 7 for the season), and 4) improve the kicking game (minus 2 yards difference on net punts and 1/4 versus opponents' 4/5 on field goals). We shouldn't have another opponent as easy as TSU, or as tough as TexasU and Arkansas.

RE: Rice v TSU postgame - Fort Bend Owl - 09-26-2021 07:58 AM

Rice had 75 offensive plays last night. I didn't keep track but I'd estimate Constantine took the snap on about 3/4 of those plays. He threw 23 passes so that's roughly 31 runs and 23 passes when he was the QB. McCaffrey was the other 1/4, and he was 100 percent run.

That's a little misleading because McCaffrey was in on a few obvious rushing plays (goalline plays, running out the clock plays, etc.).

But again as I've said a few times now, we're not a pound the rock offense when Constantine is the QB.

I'd love to see a wrinkle where both are on the same play, with Constantine starting as the QB but going into motion, and McCaffrey adjusting back to QB. As it is, I think defenses will have a tough time adjusting to figuring out which one is the QB because they have similar numbers (#10 vs #12) and similar builds.

RE: Rice v TSU postgame - RiceOwls2019 - 09-26-2021 08:04 AM

(09-25-2021 10:51 PM)westsidewolf1989 Wrote:  Got the W. Another must-win next weekend to keep tracking towards a bowl.

Next week is the biggest game of the season (and to determine whether Bloomgren has any future here). Win and a bowl is still feasible. Lose and we are starting down the barrel at 3-9 or worse.

RE: Rice v TSU postgame - OptimisticOwl - 09-26-2021 08:20 AM

I did not watch the game, but here are my takeaways from the play by play:

THE GOOD
We have a QB…
…who can pass
The offense responded by scoring whenever the other team scored

THE BAD

The defense responded by letting the opponent score whenever we got ahead a certain amount
Pass defense.

THE UGLY
Attendance

Those who expected a bowl from this team should be less optimistic about that.

RE: Rice v TSU postgame - bigowlsfan - 09-26-2021 08:21 AM

I am taking solace in Arkansas, Texas and Houston performing so well, early on; that was a very tough start for a program such as ours is.

A win as last night's ended up was very satisfying, as was 48 points and 620 yards in total offense, with us basically leaving another touchdown and a few yards on the table by being kind to TSU in the last 2 minutes of the game.

Football is skills, effort, execution and confidence, and this should help our confidence and mental state, going forward. I think we upset Southern Miss next week (ESPN has them favored) and score at least 27 points in doing it (27 because I am accounting for the inevitable missed extra point, which is vexing in its own right).

RE: Rice v TSU postgame - Owl 69/70/75 - 09-26-2021 08:23 AM

(09-26-2021 07:58 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I'd love to see a wrinkle where both are on the same play, with Constantine starting as the QB but going into motion, and McCaffrey adjusting back to QB. As it is, I think defenses will have a tough time adjusting to figuring out which one is the QB because they have similar numbers (#10 vs #12) and similar builds.

So what would you do with that? I mean, what kind of play would you run?

RE: Rice v TSU postgame - OptimisticOwl - 09-26-2021 08:29 AM

(09-26-2021 08:23 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(09-26-2021 07:58 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I'd love to see a wrinkle where both are on the same play, with Constantine starting as the QB but going into motion, and McCaffrey adjusting back to QB. As it is, I think defenses will have a tough time adjusting to figuring out which one is the QB because they have similar numbers (#10 vs #12) and similar builds.

So what would you do with that? I mean, what kind of play would you run?

I don’t know either, but I think anything that confuses the defense is good.

RE: Rice v TSU postgame - loki_the_bubba - 09-26-2021 08:56 AM

(09-26-2021 08:21 AM)bigowlsfan Wrote:  I am taking solace in Arkansas, Texas and Houston performing so well, early on; that was a very tough start for a program such as ours is.

A win as last night's ended up was very satisfying, as was 48 points and 620 yards in total offense, with us basically leaving another touchdown and a few yards on the table by being kind to TSU in the last 2 minutes of the game.

Football is skills, effort, execution and confidence, and this should help our confidence and mental state, going forward. I think we upset Southern Miss next week (ESPN has them favored) and score at least 27 points in doing it (27 because I am accounting for the inevitable missed extra point, which is vexing in its own right).

I really can't see anything 'really satisfying' about last night's win. We let perhaps the worst team in FCS hang around the entire game. It was ugly and frustrating.

RE: Rice v TSU postgame - Fort Bend Owl - 09-26-2021 09:20 AM

The offense was fine last night. I liked Braeden Nutter's performance coming in as a first-time starter on the OL. We did about the same to TSU as what Baylor did to them offensively.

Defense and special teams are way behind where they should be. I disagree with whomever posted last night that TSU's QB was better than ours (he did a good job and was a 1st-time starter for them - they were commenting in the press box that they finally found their QB). But what I did think last night was that their kicker and punter was better than ours - and I just can't figure out how that is possible when we have a recent legacy like Boswell and Fox.

Riccitelli was given one kickoff and he promptly shanked it out of bounds. Van Sickle is definitely going to be the kicker in the near future. His one missed XP wasn't his fault though - it was a bad snap.

RE: Rice v TSU postgame - OptimisticOwl - 09-26-2021 09:39 AM

(09-26-2021 08:21 AM)bigowlsfan Wrote:  I am taking solace in Arkansas, Texas and Houston performing so well,

I think all three, especially Ark, are performing better than we expected of them at the time we played.

RE: Rice v TSU postgame - texowl2 - 09-26-2021 10:07 AM

Any guess on the attendance?

RE: Rice v TSU postgame - OwlSquared - 09-26-2021 10:20 AM

(09-26-2021 10:07 AM)texowl2 Wrote:  Any guess on the attendance?

Maybe 3,000 to 4,000 fans.
By the end of the 4th maybe 750.

RE: Rice v TSU postgame - Tomball Owl - 09-26-2021 10:29 AM

Per the posted box score, the "attendance" was 18,326.

Maybe you should have asked how many "butts in seats" last night? I'd guess less than many local high school games this weekend.

RE: Rice v TSU postgame - OptimisticOwl - 09-26-2021 10:33 AM

(09-26-2021 10:29 AM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  

Maybe you should have asked how many "butts in seats" last night? I'd guess less than many local high school games this weekend.

So basically, about 14,000 people who had tickets, mostly season ticket holders, elected not to attend.

RE: Rice v TSU postgame - Tomball Owl - 09-26-2021 10:45 AM

(09-26-2021 10:33 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(09-26-2021 10:29 AM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  

So basically, about 14,000 people who had tickets, mostly season ticket holders, elected not to attend.

I know of at least 4 such tickets. Meaningless game just wasn't worth a 3.5 hour drive, hotel room, etc. And I stopped trying to give them away to friends years ago when it became almost impossible to find any takers.