CSNbbs
What is the OVC going to do? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: What is the OVC going to do? (/thread-929793.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - DavidSt - 10-26-2021 01:41 PM

(10-26-2021 01:22 PM)schnautza Wrote:  
(09-29-2021 05:09 PM)solohawks Wrote:  What about Missouri S&T?
Sorry I'm late to the conversation, finally got an account approved. Southern Indiana fan here, wanting to get the scoop on all things related to the possible D1 transitioning.

I'm going back and reading thru this thread and this comment made me laugh out loud.

S&T is, at best, bottom 25% of the GLVC in most sports. In men's basketball, it's pretty much the game you can let all the starters rest up the whole game. Over the last 4 seasons, they've won an average of 4.5 games per season...make that 3.25 if you exclude wins against D3 and NAIA teams. They should not be considered in any D1 transition talks.

Their academics peirs are in D1. Sometimes bad D2 teams turns a good FCS team.

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - DavidSt - 10-26-2021 01:43 PM

I think UIndy should be in the running for OVC as well. Does add a D2 Indiana football member as well.

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - EKUSteve - 10-26-2021 02:06 PM

(10-26-2021 01:43 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  I think UIndy should be in the running for OVC as well. Does add a D2 Indiana football member as well.

They are a school of 4500.
They are not studying going to D1

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - Illiniguy - 10-26-2021 10:48 PM

I gotta say INDY would be better off in the OVC than staying in d2 as for enrollment they could grow. Hell if USI can go D1 and be in a city that’s smaller then Indianapolis then why not

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - DawgNBama - 10-27-2021 12:12 AM

Hopefully, invite my school: the University of Montevallo!!! We do bring in the Birmingham market!!!!

also:

(10-01-2021 06:57 AM)solohawks Wrote:  
(10-01-2021 12:58 AM)Todor Wrote:  If the OVC needed members and had no other immediate takers, Chicago State needs to demand full membership, non conditional. Otherwise, I'd tell the OVC to kick rocks and either remain independent or pursue MEAC membership if that's an option.

Chicago State is why the WAC is here today. They saved it. They could have turned it down and left the WAC without enough members to exist. And in many ways, it would have made sense for them to say no. But instead, they joined and got kicked n in the teeth as soon we didn't need them and they had no recourse.

Hopefully they don't allow that to happen again. If you have a conference (who would normally hold all of the power over you) over a barrel, its time to stand up for your own interests and demand some equity.

I like CSU's chances at an OVC invite. Eastern and SIUE schedule Chicago State in a number of sports and would probably prefer them and a Chicago presence for the conference over a far flung school in the southeast or elsewhere.

That's what I've been thinking

Adding WIU and Chicago St creates a geographically tight OVC West that works well for all the schools that would be involved

OVC West - Chicago St, WIU, EIU, SIU-E, SE Missouri St,

The Eastern bloc adds Southern Indiana
OVC East - Morehead St, TN Tech, TN St, UT Martin, Southern IN

That's 6 for football and 10 overall

They have room to grow and get that 6th soccer school as well.

They really need to get soccer solidified at the OVC since football is so wobbly

did I mention that Montevallo has really good men's & women's soccer teams?? and recruits internationally for talent??

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - Todor - 10-27-2021 04:43 AM

The OVC has kind of been lost in the shuffle the last few weeks. CUSA looking for teams isn't really much of a plus for them as they adjoin/overlap territory. OVC may be FCS, but when talk is heavy in FCS move ups to help fill in CUSA, it might push back any OVC announcement until after things are settled with others. Could create an opening for someone needing a spot in the meantime.

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - chargeradio - 10-27-2021 05:23 AM

Would anyone in the OVC jump to the ASUN if the ASUN found themselves down one or more schools?

Would the SoCon take anyone if they lose Chattanooga to C-USA?

What is the OVC going to do? - galojah - 10-27-2021 07:18 AM

(10-27-2021 05:23 AM)chargeradio Wrote:  Would anyone in the OVC jump to the ASUN if the ASUN found themselves down one or more schools?

Would the SoCon take anyone if they lose Chattanooga to C-USA?

I suppose Murray State would.

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - solohawks - 10-27-2021 08:27 AM

(10-27-2021 04:43 AM)Todor Wrote:  The OVC has kind of been lost in the shuffle the last few weeks. CUSA looking for teams isn't really much of a plus for them as they adjoin/overlap territory. OVC may be FCS, but when talk is heavy in FCS move ups to help fill in CUSA, it might push back any OVC announcement until after things are settled with others. Could create an opening for someone needing a spot in the meantime.

Kinda surprising they haven't landed Western Illinois yet.

Of course, taking Western Illinois may clear out the possible football roadblock preventing Murray State from joining the MVC

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - EKUSteve - 10-27-2021 08:48 AM

(10-26-2021 10:48 PM)Illiniguy Wrote:  I gotta say INDY would be better off in the OVC than staying in d2 as for enrollment they could grow. Hell if USI can go D1 and be in a city that’s smaller then Indianapolis then why not

Just for context:
UINDY is a private school. It is also pretty well built up around. The capacity of their football stadium is 5,500.
USI is a public school. It has plenty of land to continue to grow.

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - Frank the Tank - 10-27-2021 09:24 AM

(10-27-2021 08:27 AM)solohawks Wrote:  
(10-27-2021 04:43 AM)Todor Wrote:  The OVC has kind of been lost in the shuffle the last few weeks. CUSA looking for teams isn't really much of a plus for them as they adjoin/overlap territory. OVC may be FCS, but when talk is heavy in FCS move ups to help fill in CUSA, it might push back any OVC announcement until after things are settled with others. Could create an opening for someone needing a spot in the meantime.

Kinda surprising they haven't landed Western Illinois yet.

Of course, taking Western Illinois may clear out the possible football roadblock preventing Murray State from joining the MVC

It’s a tough decision for Western Illinois. The OVC is better for WIU for basketball and non-football sports compared to the Summit League (at least in terms of travel), but substantially worse compared to the MVFC for football (in terms of competitiveness and somewhat for travel). There isn’t a clear answer there, particularly when Murray State would clearly jump at the chance to join the MVC/MVFC combo. I’d be naturally wary of trading places where the other party is a whole lot more motivated to get out of the place that you’re thinking of moving to compared to your own motivation to move out.

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - schnautza - 10-27-2021 10:36 AM

(10-27-2021 08:48 AM)EKUSteve Wrote:  Just for context:
UINDY is a private school. It is also pretty well built up around. The capacity of their football stadium is 5,500.

I was going to say the same thing. UIndy is basically landlocked, and not in a great part of town. USI is located outside of town with 1400 acres of land (up from their original 330) and has been on a building/renovation spree for 20+ years now with the four residence halls, Rice Library, University Center East, Business & Engineering center, Performance Theater, Welcome Center, Screaming Eagles Arena, Aquatic Center... and still plenty of empty or wooded land to keep growing. It's a very nice campus.

The other thing is that UIndy would be a small dog in a media market that already has big players. They'd be up against Butler and IUPUI. All USI has to do is be as good as/better than University of Evansville, which shouldn't take much. Last time their men's basketball teams met, USI took them to OT. (And then UE beat Kentucky, followed by a severe losing streak after the coach got canned for scandals. What a roller coaster of a year!) There was another time that USI took UE to 2OT but still lost (still bitter).

I don't doubt that UIndy could eventually compete, but as far as media goes, they have always been overshadowed by the likes of Butler.

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - KingSean - 10-27-2021 11:59 AM

(10-27-2021 08:48 AM)EKUSteve Wrote:  
(10-26-2021 10:48 PM)Illiniguy Wrote:  I gotta say INDY would be better off in the OVC than staying in d2 as for enrollment they could grow. Hell if USI can go D1 and be in a city that’s smaller then Indianapolis then why not

Just for context:

That's good

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - OhioBoilermaker - 10-27-2021 12:16 PM

Being landlocked isn't a huge deal. St. Peter's is D1 with only 30 acres. I'm sure others in the Northeast are in a similar situation.

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - TexasTerror - 11-02-2021 06:49 AM

USI update

They are doing all the research necessary after being offered membership. Article doesn’t even indicate it was likely OVC

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/college/southern-indiana/2021/11/01/usi-athletics-university-southern-indiana-division-1-ncaa-invitation/6179050001/

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - CenterSquarEd - 11-02-2021 07:28 AM

(10-27-2021 12:16 PM)OhioBoilermaker Wrote:  Being landlocked isn't a huge deal. St. Peter's is D1 with only 30 acres. I'm sure others in the Northeast are in a similar situation.

Ehh, have you seen their basketball gym? They’re grandfathered in, but they wouldn’t get a Metro Atlantic invite in today’s climate.

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - solohawks - 11-02-2021 07:39 AM

With CUSA apparently taking Jax state and maybe more, is there an opening for the OVC to get their schools back?

ASun Football is looking to be at 5

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - Fighting Muskie - 11-02-2021 07:49 AM

The MEAC, Southland, and OVC are all in tight spots right now.

If the dominoes triggered by JMU leaving the CAA cause the MEAC to lose just 1 school (Howard?) the league is firmly in the danger zone.

The Southland has the WAC Texas Division breathing down their necks and if they just lost NMSU and SHSU then the WAC will be coming back for more schools.

The OVC is in trouble because the ASUN just lost 1 of their football schools so they’ll be shopping for a replacement. On the bright side, I think if they end up in a pinch they can add the Southland’s LA schools to stay afloat.

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - chargeradio - 11-03-2021 06:02 AM

(11-02-2021 07:39 AM)solohawks Wrote:  With CUSA apparently taking Jax state and maybe more, is there an opening for the OVC to get their schools back?

I guess it's possible Austin Peay calls off their move. JSU is obviously gone. EKU probably doesn't go back unless if the ASUN loses Central Arkansas. The OVC could add North Alabama as a de facto replacement for JSU.

The only way I see it even being possible is if Kennesaw State bolts, and all the Southland schools decline. KSU would have to expand their stadium to move to FBS; not sure the SoCon would be interested in KSU, but they are a FCS public school in the footprint.

If all the football schools bolt, the ASun would be in trouble as they would only have six schools total. If UNA and Kennesaw stay their football could still play in the Big South, and the conference would have eight schools overall.

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - solohawks - 11-03-2021 07:56 AM

(11-03-2021 06:02 AM)chargeradio Wrote:  
(11-02-2021 07:39 AM)solohawks Wrote:  With CUSA apparently taking Jax state and maybe more, is there an opening for the OVC to get their schools back?

I guess it's possible Austin Peay calls off their move. JSU is obviously gone. EKU probably doesn't go back unless if the ASUN loses Central Arkansas. The OVC could add North Alabama as a de facto replacement for JSU.

The only way I see it even being possible is if Kennesaw State bolts, and all the Southland schools decline. KSU would have to expand their stadium to move to FBS; not sure the SoCon would be interested in KSU, but they are a FCS public school in the footprint.

If all the football schools bolt, the ASun would be in trouble as they would only have six schools total. If UNA and Kennesaw stay their football could still play in the Big South, and the conference would have eight schools overall.

Are there any other OVC schools wanting to jump to the ASun? Tennessee Tech??