CSNbbs
What is the OVC going to do? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: What is the OVC going to do? (/thread-929793.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

What is the OVC going to do? - solohawks - 09-17-2021 09:06 AM

With Austin Peay all but official, what is the OVC going to?

They are currently at 6 for football (the bare minimum) but at stable 9 for all sports. If football fails, they will need to add soccer, of which they currently have 3 members affiliating elsewhere.

WIU seems like a given at this point to get football back to 7, but who do you add after that? Chicago St. is very interested in the OVC, and while they don't play football, the do play soccer and fit in well with the 2 current Illinois schools and WIU, who also plays soccer.

If you add WIU and Chicago St., the western flank of the OVC is stabilized greatly and there might be enough leverage to get another Nashville school added in Lipscomb

This would give the OVC 7 football and 6 for soccer, as all the new members play that sport. Sponsoring soccer gives the OVC some stability if football doesn't work out for whatever reason. Adding 2 in the West would allow Murray St. to move to the East and be with Belmont. While the West would be a rough, albeit geographically friendly, collection of schools, the East would be pretty solid in basketball

West: Chicago St, WIU, EIU, SIU-E, SE Missouri St, UT Martin
East: Morehead, TN Tech, TN State, Belmont, Lipscomb, Murray St.

If Chicago St. is a deal breaker, than try and snag both Lipscomb and Bellarmine from the ASun to create a geographically friendly basketball focused OVC East that is pretty close to perfect for Belmont's goals of basketball and bus league first.

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - bill dazzle - 09-17-2021 09:12 AM

(09-17-2021 09:06 AM)solohawks Wrote:  With Austin Peay all but official, what is the OVC going to?

They are currently at 6 for football (the bare minimum) but at stable 9 for all sports. If football fails, they will need to add soccer, of which they currently have 3 members affiliating elsewhere.

WIU seems like a given at this point to get football back to 7, but who do you add after that? Chicago St. is very interested in the OVC, and while they don't play football, the do play soccer and fit in well with the 2 current Illinois schools and WIU, who also plays soccer.

If you add WIU and Chicago St., the western flank of the OVC is stabilized greatly and there might be enough leverage to get another Nashville school added in Lipscomb

This would give the OVC 7 football and 6 for soccer, as all the new members play that sport. Sponsoring soccer gives the OVC some stability if football doesn't work out for whatever reason. Adding 2 in the West would allow Murray St. to move to the East and be with Belmont. While the West would be a rough, albeit geographically friendly, collection of schools, the East would be pretty solid in basketball

If Chicago St. is a deal breaker, than try and snag both Lipscomb and Bellarmine from the ASun to create a geographically friendly basketball focused OVC East that is pretty close to perfect for Belmont's goals of basketball and bus league first.

I struggle to see Lipscomb and Bellermine leaving a growing and thriving ASUN for the sinking ship that is the OVC.

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - Yosef Himself - 09-17-2021 09:14 AM

WIU and UALR

Long shot: Lipscomb

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - bullet - 09-17-2021 09:15 AM

Talk to WIU, UALR and Youngstown St.

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - solohawks - 09-17-2021 09:18 AM

(09-17-2021 09:14 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  WIU and UALR

To me UALR is even more a warm body than Chicago St.

Chicago St. plays soccer and would make sense to a lot of schools in the OVC west.

Does anyone really want to expand the OVC footprint into Arkansas?

If I'm EIU Id rather have WIU and Chicago St.

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - solohawks - 09-17-2021 09:20 AM

(09-17-2021 09:12 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  
(09-17-2021 09:06 AM)solohawks Wrote:  With Austin Peay all but official, what is the OVC going to?

I struggle to see Lipscomb and Bellermine leaving a growing and thriving ASUN for the sinking ship that is the OVC.

If you're Lipscomb and Bellarmine do you want to be sending all your teams to Arkansas, Florida, and Virginia to be in a 1 bid basketball league when you could join a highly regarded peer school Belmont and be in a bus league and an OVC East that would be pretty solid all things considered?

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - TexasTerror - 09-17-2021 09:22 AM

From Matt Brown:

"Update: 9/17 9:01 AM. In fact, I was told this was one of the reasons APSU looked at leaving the OVC to begin with, as their leadership became less confident in the long term stability of the OVC and their ability to recruit other institutions to replace EKU and JSU."

ExtraPoints

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - Yosef Himself - 09-17-2021 09:24 AM

(09-17-2021 09:18 AM)solohawks Wrote:  

Chicago St. plays soccer and would make sense to a lot of schools in the OVC west.

LR is busable to most the OVC. With no FB theyre not a flight risk. If the OVC loses any more FB teams they'll be forced to ask the Big South (who might also need it) to run FB, kinda like the ASUN teams before ASUNFB. LR being focused on OLY sports might be what the OVC power members (Belmont, Moorehead) want.

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - solohawks - 09-17-2021 09:26 AM

(09-17-2021 09:24 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  

LR is busable to most the OVC. With no FB theyre not a flight risk. If the OVC loses any more FB teams they'll be forced to ask the Big South (who might also need it) to run FB, kinda like the ASUN teams before ASUNFB. LR being focused on OLY sports might be what the OVC power members (Belmont, Moorehead) want.

If OVC loses football, they pretty much have to sponsor soccer. If you're going to add a non football school, add one with soccer just in case football collapses.

I would even make a it a conference requirement to either sponsor OVC football or OVC soccer. So if it were me and LR wanted in, I would make adding M soccer a requirement.

Morehead is doing the conference no favors by sponsoring non scholarship football outside of the OVC.

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - solohawks - 09-17-2021 09:37 AM

(09-17-2021 09:22 AM)TexasTerror Wrote:  From Matt Brown:

"Update: 9/17 9:01 AM. In fact, I was told this was one of the reasons APSU looked at leaving the OVC to begin with, as their leadership became less confident in the long term stability of the OVC and their ability to recruit other institutions to replace EKU and JSU."

ExtraPoints

Yes, if I was a football school, the ASun would make sense

If i was a non football school outside of the state of Florida, I don't see how the ASun is the most ideal, outside of a special case like Liberty.

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - bullet - 09-17-2021 09:46 AM

Chicago St. is a total dumpster fire. As a university, not just an athletic program. I cannot see the OVC even considering them. They aren't that desperate.

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - IWokeUpLikeThis - 09-17-2021 11:06 AM

OVC is a rock-bottom D1 league with little stability. There are 2 D1 schools who'd willingly join: WIU, Chicago St. Otherwise, it's D2 call-ups like USI and Lincoln Memorial.

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - IWokeUpLikeThis - 09-17-2021 11:07 AM

(09-17-2021 09:46 AM)bullet Wrote:  

Chicago St. is a total dumpster fire. As a university, not just an athletic program. I cannot see the OVC even considering them. They aren't that desperate.

Not yet...but if Murray/Belmont/TSU are gone 24 months from now.

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - bill dazzle - 09-17-2021 11:35 AM

(09-17-2021 09:20 AM)solohawks Wrote:  

If you're Lipscomb and Bellarmine do you want to be sending all your teams to Arkansas, Florida, and Virginia to be in a 1 bid basketball league when you could join a highly regarded peer school Belmont and be in a bus league and an OVC East that would be pretty solid all things considered?

The ASUN seems stable and charging forward. In contrast, the OVC is gravely wounded and may not survive. That is why Lipscomb and Bellarmine stay put.

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - GoBuckeyes1047 - 09-17-2021 12:31 PM

Liberty may find itself in a new FBS conference, which is likely why they aren't trying to get to 14 teams at least at this time. That will eliminate a geographic outlier to the east. Lipscomb and Bellarmine now have travel partners in Eastern Kentucky and Austin Peay. If we see 3 pods of 4 teams for scheduling, they may push for those 4 teams to be in a pod together. Then 3 trips to Florida annually for everyone outside the 4 Florida schools.

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - solohawks - 09-17-2021 12:42 PM

(09-17-2021 11:35 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

The ASUN seems stable and charging forward. In contrast, the OVC is gravely wounded and may not survive. That is why Lipscomb and Bellarmine stay put.

If you're a football school I totally agree with you.

If you are a non football school, to me the OVC has much more potential.

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - Mister Consistency - 09-17-2021 01:58 PM

I guess the ideal scenario would be to get ETSU and Chattanooga out of the SoCon, but there's no competitive benefit for those schools to leave, especially with APSU out of the mix as another competitive public school. It would have to be a political/institutional realignment more than a competitive one.

I would not be shocked if Western Illinois gets a call and maybe gets announced in the next couple of weeks. If you get further defections (which you probably will if WIU is what you're bringing in), UALR could be available. Southern Indiana out of D2 has been discussed before, and if it's really desperate, maybe Chicago State? But WIU is the only school in that group that offers football, which presents a problem if Murray State and Tennessee State were to leave. Maybe Youngstown State is interested in a football-only membership if it saves them some money vs. the MVFC, but that's a longshot. Lindenwood seems to have good facilities and they certainly field a lot of sports, but I have no idea if they want to go D1.

This is a real uphill fight for the OVC. They've been outmaneuvered by the ASUN and the replacements aren't likely to instill confidence in the league's direction among the schools they really need to hold onto. They won't want to abandon the football championship for fear of more defections, but I'm not sure there are enough teams to go around.

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - TexasTerror - 09-17-2021 04:35 PM

Statement from OVC

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - Shox - 09-17-2021 04:57 PM

(09-17-2021 04:35 PM)TexasTerror Wrote:  Statement from OVC

WIU is a no brainer for both parties. After that there isn't a great fit out there. Maybe YSU if they want to start winning football conference championships again. The issue with that is it opens up a slot for Murray State Football in the MVFC if the MVC calls.

RE: What is the OVC going to do? - solohawks - 09-17-2021 05:25 PM

(09-17-2021 04:57 PM)Shox Wrote:  
(09-17-2021 04:35 PM)TexasTerror Wrote:  Statement from OVC

WIU is a no brainer for both parties. After that there isn't a great fit out there. Maybe YSU if they want to start winning football conference championships again. The issue with that is it opens up a slot for Murray State Football in the MVFC if the MVC calls.

If WIU does leave that take the MVFC down to 10 which I would think would be a more desirable number then 11