CSNbbs
Rice and COVID fall 2021 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: Rice and COVID fall 2021 (/thread-927281.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Rice and COVID fall 2021 - franklyconfused - 08-19-2021 11:28 AM

No impact on athletics so far, but providing this so that fans don't get blindsided. They're still intending to keep undergrads on campus at this point and to eventually get to fully in-person classes, but if they're walking back on in-person classes, they may escalate from here.

Thu 2021-08-19 10:42

Dear Rice Community,

A few weeks ago, we expected to be back to a more normal posture for the fall semester, but COVID-19’s delta variant (8% of the total cases nationwide just two months ago, and now about 90%) has made that challenging. As our students are arriving on campus, the number of positive cases of COVID-19 in the Greater Houston area is increasing. We are also seeing a substantial increase in the number of cases within our Rice community, which is predominantly vaccinated. In Houston and across the nation, “breakthrough” cases are occurring among those who are vaccinated. However, it is important to recognize that vaccination substantially reduces the spread of COVID-19 and makes serious illness extremely rare. Vaccination remains the single most effective method to protect yourself, your family and everyone on campus.

Much remains to be learned about the delta variant and we need to pay close attention to the current surge that is especially pronounced in Texas. We need time to test and assess the prevalence of COVID-19 in the Rice community and its related health outcomes, and to implement any appropriate risk mitigation actions, keeping in mind the effectiveness of vaccination in preventing serious illness. For these reasons, we will move to online instruction for at least the first two weeks of the semester. [emphasis added] In order to provide additional time to prepare for this change, classes will begin Wednesday, Aug. 25, and instruction will be online through Friday, Sept. 3. By that time, we will have reassessed our instruction and other mitigation policies. It remains our intention to return to fully in-person instruction this semester.

Instructors can choose to teach in either synchronous or asynchronous mode. Instructors may come to campus and utilize their office or classroom if they wish to better facilitate remote instruction. Instructors can also host in-person office hours, keeping in mind the requirement of masking indoors. Instructors are asked to please update their syllabi as soon as possible to reflect how their courses will begin in the fall. Instructors who wish to be exempted from the online requirement and teach in person for the first two weeks should send a request to me with a brief explanation of why they want to be exempt. Courses, such as graduate research, that can be conducted with masking and appropriate physical distancing will remain in person.

We hope everyone understands the need to adjust our COVID-19 posture in the days ahead. We will continue to monitor the situation on campus and in Houston, and make appropriate adjustments. Thank you for your support in keeping the health and safety of our Rice community a top priority.

Warm regards,

Reginald DesRoches, Howard Hughes Provost

RE: Rice and COVID fall 2021 - ExcitedOwl18 - 08-19-2021 12:37 PM

Ridiculous that they're moving online.

If I (or my parents) were paying sticker at Rice for an online experience, I would be livid.

What's the point of being vaccinated (which turns covid into a bad cold) if you can't reap the benefits?

RE: Rice and COVID fall 2021 - westsidewolf1989 - 08-19-2021 12:37 PM

No dining indoors in group setting and no consumption of alcohol until "September 3rd". On a campus that is 90+% vaccinated and masks are required indoors.

Edit: where did those big tents go from last year?

RE: Rice and COVID fall 2021 - cr11owl - 08-19-2021 12:52 PM

A bunch of clowns running our university.

RE: Rice and COVID fall 2021 - GoodOwl - 08-19-2021 12:58 PM

(08-19-2021 12:37 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  Ridiculous that they're moving online.

If I (or my parents) were paying sticker at Rice for an online experience, I would be livid.

What's the point of being vaccinated (which turns covid into a bad cold) if you can't reap the benefits?

It rubs the lotion on its skin. It does this whenever it is told. That's always been the point of covid.

RE: Rice and COVID fall 2021 - RiceLad15 - 08-19-2021 01:17 PM

(08-19-2021 12:37 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  Ridiculous that they're moving online.

I’d hold off on that for now, since it only says it will be 2 weeks. But if it extends to the rest of the semester, that’s a whole ‘nother ball game.

Everyone masking during classes on a campus that has a high percentage of vaccinations should be enough to protect faculty, staff, and students, from the worst of this.

RE: Rice and COVID fall 2021 - mrbig - 08-19-2021 02:08 PM

(08-19-2021 01:17 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  

I’d hold off on that for now, since it only says it will be 2 weeks. But if it extends to the rest of the semester, that’s a whole ‘nother ball game.

Everyone masking during classes on a campus that has a high percentage of vaccinations should be enough to protect faculty, staff, and students, from the worst of this.

Sure, most cases are a "bad cold" for vaccinated folks. But with Delta there has definitely been some increase in serious illness and death amongst vaccinated folks, compared to the non-Delta strains of covid. I know at the local children's hospital in NOLA there have been a few deaths, including the death of a vaccinated teen.

I think a 2-week window is a smart decision by Rice. I think there have certainly been some overreactions, but this isn't just about the undergrad students at Rice, it is about the employees, grad students, etc. who leave campus every single day and interact with the rest of Houston a lot more than undergrads.

Goodowl - you vaccinated? Lots of people in this country do what they are told. We get the MMR vaccine, we don't ignore red lights, we complain about elected officials, we have access to a wide variety of news & opinion options. Sure, we have a lot of freedoms, but this country isn't built on lawless anarchy like you seem to think. Wearing a mask is a minor inconvenience and getting vaccinated is just part of life for the vast majority of this country. Why you and your yolk suddenly decided to make vaccines some political civil liberties issue when the majority of conservative leaders have been vaccinated (some without fanfare) boggles my mind. And I humbly request that you keep your comments on this topic to The Quad where it belongs ... but maybe this is just another example of you rebelling?

RE: Rice and COVID fall 2021 - ExcitedOwl18 - 08-19-2021 02:18 PM

(08-19-2021 02:08 PM)mrbig Wrote:  

Sure, most cases are a "bad cold" for vaccinated folks. But with Delta there has definitely been some increase in serious illness and death amongst vaccinated folks, compared to the non-Delta strains of covid. I know at the local children's hospital in NOLA there have been a few deaths, including the death of a vaccinated teen.

I think a 2-week window is a smart decision by Rice. I think there have certainly been some overreactions, but this isn't just about the undergrad students at Rice, it is about the employees, grad students, etc. who leave campus every single day and interact with the rest of Houston a lot more than undergrads.

I don't doubt that there have been deaths in vaccinated people-but I think the question becomes-but they aren't excess deaths.. I.e. they're similar in rate and number to deaths in other respiratory illnesses. Now, in unvaccinated people, they're certainly way, way, way above the base rate, so don't get me twisted as a covid-denier.

As to your last point-the undergrads seem to be bearing the brunt of this decision as they're the ones not being allowed to gather in groups, drink alcohol, attend class, etc... Whereas, from my reading of the note, graduate students will still be able to conduct research, etc. So if UGs interact with the outside community at a lower rate, they should have a LOWER burden placed upon them.

RE: Rice and COVID fall 2021 - OptimisticOwl - 08-19-2021 02:23 PM

On a sports, board, I think the question becomes how does this affect sports.

I think in two weeks we will have the announcement of limited seating for athletics.

Soon after will begin the game cancellations.

RE: Rice and COVID fall 2021 - waltgreenberg - 08-19-2021 02:41 PM

Goodowl - you vaccinated? Lots of people in this country do what they are told. We get the MMR vaccine, we don't ignore red lights, we complain about elected officials, we have access to a wide variety of news & opinion options. Sure, we have a lot of freedoms, but this country isn't built on lawless anarchy like you seem to think. Wearing a mask is a minor inconvenience and getting vaccinated is just part of life for the vast majority of this country. Why you and your yolk suddenly decided to make vaccines some political civil liberties issue when the majority of conservative leaders have been vaccinated (some without fanfare) boggles my mind. And I humbly request that you keep your comments on this topic to The Quad where it belongs ... but maybe this is just another example of you rebelling?

I agree, Big. Here's a FB post by the Dean of the School of Social Sciences that gives more clarity as to the reason for the decision...

Quote:Rachel Tolbert Kimbro
tcuS3pconshored ·
Rice has made the difficult decision to go online for the first two weeks of class. We are doing surveillance testing of vaxed and unvaxed students, faculty, and staff - and the vast majority are vaccinated (95%+ among students). And we are seeing positivity rates too high to hold classes in-person. Imagine what will happen at universities (and schools) without vaccines, mandatory masking, and most importantly, surveillance testing?

RE: Rice and COVID fall 2021 - Tomball Owl - 08-19-2021 02:52 PM

(08-19-2021 02:23 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  I think in two weeks we will have the announcement of limited seating for athletics.

How is that different than the limited-butts-in-seats practice of the last several decades?

Rice Owl football - social distancing since the 70s.

RE: Rice and COVID fall 2021 - waltgreenberg - 08-19-2021 02:57 PM

(08-19-2021 02:52 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  
(08-19-2021 02:23 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  I think in two weeks we will have the announcement of limited seating for athletics.

How is that different than the limited-butts-in-seats practice of the last several decades?

Actually, the '80s. We had pretty consistently good crowds at least through 1978.

RE: Rice and COVID fall 2021 - OptimisticOwl - 08-19-2021 02:57 PM

Yeah, both ways end up with empty stands. At least with covid limits, we might actually turn somebody away.

If the students cannot go to a classroom, how is it OK for them to go to a game?

RE: Rice and COVID fall 2021 - mrbig - 08-19-2021 03:38 PM

(08-19-2021 02:57 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  

Actually, the '80s. We had pretty consistently good crowds at least through 1978.

It still boggles my mind that the first two Rice home football games I attended as a student each had >50,000 fans ... and were in 1997!

RE: Rice and COVID fall 2021 - illiniowl - 08-19-2021 03:51 PM

(08-19-2021 02:41 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  

I agree, Big. Here's a FB post by the Dean of the School of Social Sciences that gives more clarity as to the reason for the decision...

tcuS3pconshored ·
Rice has made the difficult decision to go online for the first two weeks of class. We are doing surveillance testing of vaxed and unvaxed students, faculty, and staff - and the vast majority are vaccinated (95%+ among students). And we are seeing positivity rates too high to hold classes in-person. Imagine what will happen at universities (and schools) without vaccines, mandatory masking, and most importantly, surveillance testing?

Saying that the positivity rate is "too high to hold classes in-person" is opaque and conclusory. It does not refute the criticism that Rice has an unreasonable hair trigger for imposing draconian covid restrictions.

RE: Rice and COVID fall 2021 - mebehutchi - 08-19-2021 04:00 PM

tcuS3pconshored ·

I "imagine" they will go about enjoying their lives just like they did last year while Rice bubbles up until zero covid. No way they allow fans in, and wait for the opposing team testing debacles again I'm sure. So Rice.

RE: Rice and COVID fall 2021 - cr11owl - 08-19-2021 05:07 PM

tcuS3pconshored ·

“Imagine what will happen”. Probably not too much honestly. 99%+ of the people will have moderate cold symptoms. You don’t really have to imagine since we have 1.5 years of data.

RE: Rice and COVID fall 2021 - mebehutchi - 08-19-2021 05:15 PM

(08-19-2021 05:07 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  

tcuS3pconshored ·

“Imagine what will happen”. Probably not too much honestly. 99%+ of the people will have moderate cold symptoms. You don’t really have to imagine since we have 1.5 years of data.

And in the meantime - Dear senior class. Thanks for the check. Welcome to year two of online college. And, by the way no beer. Sorry about your mental well being but we have statistics to manage.

RE: Rice and COVID fall 2021 - RiceLad15 - 08-19-2021 08:10 PM

(08-19-2021 05:15 PM)mebehutchi Wrote:  
(08-19-2021 01:17 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  I’d hold off on that for now, since it only says it will be 2 weeks. But if it extends to the rest of the semester, that’s a whole ‘nother ball game.

tcuS3pconshored ·

And in the meantime - Dear senior class. Thanks for the check. Welcome to year two of online college. And, by the way no beer. Sorry about your mental well being but we have statistics to manage.

I've been wondering how well the no drinking has been enforced - there's not exactly much surveillance on campus, so I have to imagine there are still private parties happening (or at least there will be this year with the advent of mass vaccinations).

RE: Rice and COVID fall 2021 - OptimisticOwl - 08-19-2021 08:23 PM

(08-19-2021 08:10 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(08-19-2021 05:15 PM)mebehutchi Wrote:  
(08-19-2021 02:08 PM)mrbig Wrote:  Sure, most cases are a "bad cold" for vaccinated folks. But with Delta there has definitely been some increase in serious illness and death amongst vaccinated folks, compared to the non-Delta strains of covid. I know at the local children's hospital in NOLA there have been a few deaths, including the death of a vaccinated teen.

tcuS3pconshored ·

I've been wondering how well the no drinking has been enforced - there's not exactly much surveillance on campus, so I have to imagine there are still private parties happening (or at least there will be this year with the advent of mass vaccinations).

Technically, there was no drinking allowed on campus when I was a student.

Technically.