CSNbbs
UNCW and NIL - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: UNCW and NIL (/thread-927188.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

UNCW and NIL - solohawks - 08-18-2021 10:01 AM

I was asked this question over the weekend and I didn't have a great answer

What is UNCW doing about NIL?

We are in a unique situation as we are the only sports game in town in a middle class media market. If you want to see a sports event in Wilmington, your only option is UNCW.

There is a ton of potential in that for me if we can get local sponsors on board.

Is anything in motion?

RE: UNCW and NIL - Osprey#1 - 08-19-2021 05:43 AM

Seahawk club and perhaps this group could play a role--support local businesses that support UNCW athletes!

RE: UNCW and NIL - ScribeHawk - 08-19-2021 11:11 AM

The Seahawk Club and UNCW cant "officially" have anything to do with NIL.

All they can do is educate the athletes, and hope local businesses will partner with them.

Unofficially, though, it would be very important for our local businesses to understand how important this type of thing will be moving forward.

RE: UNCW and NIL - 70shawk - 08-20-2021 06:31 AM

https://theathletic.com/2684358/2021/07/06/name-image-and-likeness-tracking-early-deals-potential-stars-the-weird-interesting-quirky-and-more/

Tracking early NIL deals , you see a number of big corporate deals that emanate from key people's ties to particular universities and then a whole bunch of more entrepreneurial efforts as players and supporters are look to explore what might work. So if I were a player I wouldn't be waiting around for University powers-that-be to get anything going for me , even in a "wink wink, nudge nudge" way with local businesses.

On the other hand, one could see a tremendous business opportunity for young enterprising marketers and videographers to get something going here by matching up players with businesses/supporters and then doing the promotional stuff for athletes in exchange for a cut of the NIL $$.

RE: UNCW and NIL - solohawks - 08-20-2021 09:17 AM

(08-20-2021 06:31 AM)70shawk Wrote:  https://theathletic.com/2684358/2021/07/06/name-image-and-likeness-tracking-early-deals-potential-stars-the-weird-interesting-quirky-and-more/

Tracking early NIL deals , you see a number of big corporate deals that emanate from key people's ties to particular universities and then a whole bunch of more entrepreneurial efforts as players and supporters are look to explore what might work. So if I were a player I wouldn't be waiting around for University powers-that-be to get anything going for me , even in a "wink wink, nudge nudge" way with local businesses.

On the other hand, one could see a tremendous business opportunity for young enterprising marketers and videographers to get something going here by matching up players with businesses/supporters and then doing the promotional stuff for athletes in exchange for a cut of the NIL $$.

Live Oak Bank, PPD, and Novant are three of the larger, local corporations in this area

Why are we missing the boat with these???

RE: UNCW and NIL - Seahawkhoops - 08-20-2021 09:36 AM

(08-20-2021 09:17 AM)solohawks Wrote:  
(08-20-2021 06:31 AM)70shawk Wrote:  https://theathletic.com/2684358/2021/07/06/name-image-and-likeness-tracking-early-deals-potential-stars-the-weird-interesting-quirky-and-more/

Live Oak Bank, PPD, and Novant are three of the larger, local corporations in this area

Even smaller outfits that college kids frequent, like PT's, Philly Deli etc.
FYI, CRO(PPD) sponsorships are tough to get. I work for the biggest and we hardly sponsor anything locally anymore.

RE: UNCW and NIL - solohawks - 08-20-2021 11:08 AM

(08-20-2021 09:36 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

FYI, CRO(PPD) sponsorships are tough to get. I work for the biggest and we hardly sponsor anything locally anymore.

Thats too bad

Live Oak just bought the naming rights to Wilmington's new concert venue

RE: UNCW and NIL - Big Alpha Hawk - 09-03-2021 01:45 PM

Jamarii Thomas has a deal with Bojangles he is one of 75 athletes they signed to deals.

RE: UNCW and NIL - bricksnivy - 09-03-2021 01:55 PM

(08-20-2021 11:08 AM)solohawks Wrote:  
(08-20-2021 09:36 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

Thats too bad

Live Oak just bought the naming rights to Wilmington's new concert venue

What would an athlete promote at PPD (or any CRO)?

RE: UNCW and NIL - Seahawkhoops - 09-05-2021 07:29 AM

(09-03-2021 01:45 PM)Big Alpha Hawk Wrote:  Jamarii Thomas has a deal with Bojangles he is one of 75 athletes they signed to deals.

That's great! Suspect we will see his face on some ads around Wilmington

RE: UNCW and NIL - Osprey#1 - 09-05-2021 04:26 PM

OK! Let's all go to Bojangles!!!!

RE: UNCW and NIL - 70shawk - 06-02-2022 07:59 AM

What's a NIL Deal Worth For Athetes? We Have Some Numbers

Name, image and likeness payments are creating a big buzz in college sports and, reportedly, even bigger paydays for athletes.

But the actual deals are enough for about a semester’s worth of books.

Though there have been reports of an NIL deal worth up to $8 million for one five-star quarterback recruit and other reports of deals in the hundreds of thousands of dollars for some athletes, smaller agreements seem to be much more abundant.

The average NIL compensation for Division I athletes through the end of April was $664 on deals facilitated by Opendorse or disclosures submitted to company. Opendorse, an athlete marketing platform, is one of the leaders in the NIL space. In December, INFLCR, another industry leader, said its median transaction was $51 and its average deal was worth $1,306, The New York Times reported.

RE: UNCW and NIL - Seahawk Nation 08 - 06-02-2022 08:20 AM

(06-02-2022 07:59 AM)70shawk Wrote:  What's a NIL Deal Worth For Athetes? We Have Some Numbers

Name, image and likeness payments are creating a big buzz in college sports and, reportedly, even bigger paydays for athletes.

Though there have been reports of an NIL deal worth up to $8 million for one five-star quarterback recruit and other reports of deals in the hundreds of thousands of dollars for some athletes, smaller agreements seem to be much more abundant.

The average NIL compensation for Division I athletes through the end of April was $664 on deals facilitated by Opendorse or disclosures submitted to company. Opendorse, an athlete marketing platform, is one of the leaders in the NIL space. In December, INFLCR, another industry leader, said its median transaction was $51 and its average deal was worth $1,306, The New York Times reported.

I had a feeling this would be the kind of numbers being thrown around. Everything I’ve heard is that NIL is kind of a big ball of nothing so far nation-wide, though it’s still in its infancy and could blow up I suppose.

Much of the NIL stuff seems to sway towards athletes who have a lot of Instagram/social media followers. So a cute volleyball player with a modeling career ahead of her has as much of a shot at a big NIL deal as the starting QB for an SEC school, or perhaps even more of one in some cases.

RE: UNCW and NIL - 70shawk - 06-02-2022 08:35 AM

(06-02-2022 08:20 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(06-02-2022 07:59 AM)70shawk Wrote:  What's a NIL Deal Worth For Athetes? We Have Some Numbers

I had a feeling this would be the kind of numbers being thrown around. Everything I’ve heard is that NIL is kind of a big ball of nothing so far nation-wide, though it’s still in its infancy and could blow up I suppose.

Much of the NIL stuff seems to sway towards athletes who have a lot of Instagram/social media followers. So a cute volleyball player with a modeling career ahead of her has as much of a shot at a big NIL deal as the starting QB for an SEC school, or perhaps even more of one in some cases.

One thought that I have had is that a lot of the really big $$ donors at P5 (and other) schools may come to direct a larger portion of their giving away from athletic departments and into "collectives" that are being developed (where donors are pooling money to offer NIL deals to athletes). Before NIL, the $ arms race has been in bidding up coaches' salaries - with players just getting their scholarships. That could change...we'll see.

RE: UNCW and NIL - Hawk81 - 06-05-2022 07:27 PM

Does anyone have data on how many UNCW student athletes have NIL deals? I can’t imagine it’s a very large number.

RE: UNCW and NIL - Seahawkhoops - 06-05-2022 07:53 PM

(06-05-2022 07:27 PM)Hawk81 Wrote:  Does anyone have data on how many UNCW student athletes have NIL deals? I can’t imagine it’s a very large number.

Might be surprised. UNCW is the only show in town.

RE: UNCW and NIL - 70shawk - 06-06-2022 02:27 PM

(06-05-2022 07:53 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(06-05-2022 07:27 PM)Hawk81 Wrote:  Does anyone have data on how many UNCW student athletes have NIL deals? I can’t imagine it’s a very large number.

"The bigger concern among athletic directors is what happens to their own budgets when all the millions they traditionally receive from donors are diverted to NIL cooperatives?"

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/story/2022-04-22/zeigler-college-sports-nil-name-image-likeness-recruiting-collectives-payouts

My sense is that the impact of NIL is far from settled, and could result in changes we can't yet wrap our heads around. College sports will probably look a LOT different in the near future. If schools like UNCW don't stop thinking outside the box, they could get really, really left behind. Or perhaps, more probably, schools and conferences with the financial wherewithal to participate in the NIL arms race might leave the NCAA altogether.

RE: UNCW and NIL - jumpinmullet - 06-07-2022 11:46 AM

(06-06-2022 02:27 PM)70shawk Wrote:  
(06-05-2022 07:53 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

"The bigger concern among athletic directors is what happens to their own budgets when all the millions they traditionally receive from donors are diverted to NIL cooperatives?"

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/story/2022-04-22/zeigler-college-sports-nil-name-image-likeness-recruiting-collectives-payouts

My sense is that the impact of NIL is far from settled, and could result in changes we can't yet wrap our heads around. College sports will probably look a LOT different in the near future. If schools like UNCW don't stop thinking outside the box, they could get really, really left behind. Or perhaps, more probably, schools and conferences with the financial wherewithal to participate in the NIL arms race might leave the NCAA altogether.
I could not agree more and it will be the rich get richer as it stands now . Free agency in pro sports are after a period of time served-not the case in college now . Players are flat out for sale now and are naming the price . I could see the P5 breaking away and forming their own football and basketball leagues with no strings attached to the NCAA at all . People cried and whined for the players to be paid and here it is and it's no holds barred and no rules. Basically the wild,wild,west and the guys with the most cash will rule .I have no clue how a UNCW could posssibly hope to compete with UNC ,Aalabama,Texas A&AM in basketball with all the money that will changing hands now. The NCAA is a very flawed org but it at least had some control in the past but not now.

RE: UNCW and NIL - 82hawk - 06-08-2022 06:12 AM

We'll see what happens. Here are my predictions

1. New powerhouse schools will emerge based on access to a large alumni base and located in large cities where NIL deals are more likely.

2. Student athletes with "star power" beyond their athletic abilities will have power they didn't have before in the NIL world.

3. Student athletes will work to develop an online following in high school that will allow them to bring their fan base with them to the college they choose.

4. Although universities can't participate in the NIL arrangement(yet), they can help students and student athletes develop a following that will help them land NIL deals. IMO this is where a school like UNCW, located in a city with movie productions, a film school and other capabilities to enhance name recognition for athletes, could have an advantage. IF we recognize it and use it. No reason our athletes can't leverage these assets in the NIL world.

RE: UNCW and NIL - Osprey#1 - 06-08-2022 07:59 AM

I think Mullet is spot on here. Perhaps we will see the formation of a breakaway professional college sports organization with the elite P5 teams. UNCW will stick with the weakened NCAA which may be able to maintain a semi-amateur organization of university sports: non-elite P5, and mid- and low-majors. Maybe that will be fine.