CSNbbs
If the ACC must add one more team, what should it be? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: If the ACC must add one more team, what should it be? (/thread-927095.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

If the ACC must add one more team, what should it be? - random asian guy - 08-16-2021 05:47 PM

This is a hypothetical scenario for fun.

Let’s say one of the ACC private schools drop the football program following recommendations from this board (!) and the ACC decides to add one more school. Assume ND and the other P3 schools are not available.

Which school do you think the ACC should invite?

Choices:

TCU: ACC style private school in Texas. Good football and good market

TTU: Best Texas public school currently available

Kansas: Best basketball program currently available

Baylor: Recent surge in football/basketball. In Texas

Ok State: Highest TV rating among the programs available

WVU: traditional rival for former Big East schools. Football history.

Cincy: rising profile. Fertile recruiting ground

Uconn: desperately wants to join the ACC

Navy: ND connection?

UCF: why not another Florida school?

RE: If the ACC must add one more team, what should it be? - Wahoowa84 - 08-16-2021 08:02 PM

Kansas is far-and-away the most valuable program currently available. They know how to generate revenue, their football will improve (it can’t get worse) and their basketball is outstanding.

The ACC shouldn’t go out of its way to recruit KU. Overall, the Jayhawks are financially break-even to the ACC. If ND isn’t available and the ACC needs a program, IMO KU is the best available option.

RE: If the ACC must add one more team, what should it be? - nole - 08-16-2021 08:29 PM

none

RE: If the ACC must add one more team, what should it be? - Schema - 08-16-2021 09:50 PM

If this exercise were to pick two, I may have gone with Oklahoma State and TCU. However, since it is just for one, and I would not want a single school in the Texas/Oklahoma part of the country, I voted for Cincinnati. Now, UCF would be a great excuse for more Disney trips, but I think Cincinnati would be a better choice. Actually, not replacing the school that dropped football may be the best choice, but that would not be in the spirit of what you are trying to do with your poll.

RE: If the ACC must add one more team, what should it be? - NoQuarterBrigade - 08-16-2021 11:09 PM

(08-16-2021 08:29 PM)nole Wrote:  none

I am with you on that. I think the ACC should have gotten Penn State when they had the chance. That was a misstep.01-scout

RE: If the ACC must add one more team, what should it be? - ChrisLords - 08-17-2021 12:03 AM

I wonder what kind of carriage the ACCN gets in Texas? Because adding TCU would convert those contracted cable systems into in-state rates. Kind of like adding Cincy converts all those in Ohio who have the ACCN into in-market rates. It could make a Texas school a no-brainer.

I voted for Cincinnati because it's a big state with only 1 P5 school, fertile recruiting territory, and makes the ACC contiguous again. Mainly cause I like Cincy but also because their the best geographic fit besides WVU.

RE: If the ACC must add one more team, what should it be? - Statefan - 08-17-2021 06:10 AM

(08-17-2021 12:03 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  I wonder what kind of carriage the ACCN gets in Texas? Because adding TCU would convert those contracted cable systems into in-state rates. Kind of like adding Cincy converts all those in Ohio who have the ACCN into in-market rates. It could make a Texas school a no-brainer.

I voted for Cincinnati because it's a big state with only 1 P5 school, fertile recruiting territory, and makes the ACC contiguous again. Mainly cause I like Cincy but also because their the best geographic fit besides WVU.

How can you be a VT fan and not know where Kentucky is?

Just drive west from Abingdon Va and you will find Kentucky, it has not moved in at least two hundred years03-lmfao

RE: If the ACC must add one more team, what should it be? - Statefan - 08-17-2021 06:17 AM

I voted for TCU out of that group because due to geography, Cincy will always be there. There are 30 million people in Texas That an equivalent population equal the three State of Virginia's.

I also think it's better to be third in the DFW metro than second in the Cincinnati metro.

There are over 8 million people in the DFW combined statistical area. There are just 2 million in the Cincinnati combined statistical area.

RE: If the ACC must add one more team, what should it be? - Hokie Mark - 08-17-2021 08:52 AM

(08-17-2021 06:10 AM)Statefan Wrote:  
(08-17-2021 12:03 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  I wonder what kind of carriage the ACCN gets in Texas? Because adding TCU would convert those contracted cable systems into in-state rates. Kind of like adding Cincy converts all those in Ohio who have the ACCN into in-market rates. It could make a Texas school a no-brainer.

Just drive west from Abingdon Va and you will find Kentucky, it has not moved in at least two hundred years03-lmfao

Kentucky may border Virginia, but it does NOT make the ACC contiguous with Pennsylvania (like Ohio would).
07-coffee3

RE: If the ACC must add one more team, what should it be? - Hokie Mark - 08-17-2021 08:54 AM

(08-16-2021 05:47 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  This is a hypothetical scenario for fun.

Let’s say one of the ACC private schools drop the football program following recommendations from this board (!) and the ACC decides to add one more school. Assume ND and the other P3 schools are not available.

Which school do you think the ACC should invite?

Choices:

TCU: ACC style private school in Texas. Good football and good market

TTU: Best Texas public school currently available

Kansas: Best basketball program currently available

Baylor: Recent surge in football/basketball. In Texas

Ok State: Highest TV rating among the programs available

WVU: traditional rival for former Big East schools. Football history.

Cincy: rising profile. Fertile recruiting ground

Uconn: desperately wants to join the ACC

Navy: ND connection?

UCF: why not another Florida school?

Curiously, you left out

Iowa State: highest average attendance of the remaining Big XII teams

...not that I'd vote for them, but it is worth mentioning.

RE: If the ACC must add one more team, what should it be? - esayem - 08-17-2021 09:03 AM

I voted for Navy because this is a dumb poll and the only reason to add another school is if Notre Dame joins. Adding Navy as a football-only helps ND and doesn’t add another mouth to feed.

RE: If the ACC must add one more team, what should it be? - CardFan1 - 08-17-2021 09:26 AM

(08-17-2021 08:52 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

Kentucky may border Virginia, but it does NOT make the ACC contiguous with Pennsylvania (like Ohio would).
07-coffee3

Lol, Kentucky also borders Indiana where ND is

RE: If the ACC must add one more team, what should it be? - Bear Catlett - 08-17-2021 12:24 PM

Seems like there's one obvious choice to me...

RE: If the ACC must add one more team, what should it be? - Pervis_Griffith - 08-17-2021 12:40 PM

Probably should have been a choice in the poll ...

Also ... there's no way a member voluntarily steps out of the conference.

RE: If the ACC must add one more team, what should it be? - ChrisLords - 08-17-2021 12:56 PM

Yeah, Kentucky is contiguous with Virginia but not Pennsylvania, New York or Massachusetts. So if you add Ohio, the whole ACC is contiguous not just ND and the south with the north being (BC, Cuse, and Pitt) seperate.

RE: If the ACC must add one more team, what should it be? - Statefan - 08-17-2021 02:57 PM

(08-17-2021 12:56 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  

Yeah, Kentucky is contiguous with Virginia but not Pennsylvania, New York or Massachusetts. So if you add Ohio, the whole ACC is contiguous not just ND and the south with the north being (BC, Cuse, and Pitt) seperate.

If that's a real issue for you solve it with Navy

RE: If the ACC must add one more team, what should it be? - Statefan - 08-17-2021 03:09 PM

Someone commented that there were recruits in the State of Ohio.

This year according to 257 there are 3 top 100 recruits in Ohio. There are 9 top 300 recruits. They have 29 in the top 1000.

In Texas this year according to 257 there are 17 in the top 100, 45 in the top 300, and 138 total in the top 1000.

There are 29.2 million people in Texas. There are 11.7 million people in Ohio.

There is no recruiting per se for the current ACC schools in Ohio. A scrub that Ohio State does not want or that ND does not want or that Penn State does not want, is all that is left over. Meaning you may get a 3 star at best kid. This exacerbates the problem the ACC has with New York and New England and Kentucky - not nearly enough kids to make a competitive team.

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=OH

This year Ohio State has the 1, 2, 4, 5, and 7 kid from Ohio.
Penn State has the 3, and 6 kid.
Clemson has the 8.
Indiana has the 9.
Minnesota has the 10.
Alabama has the 11.
Cincy has the last 4 star at 12.

Now, if Cincy is in the ACC they MIGHT out recruit Indiana and Minnesota in the State of Ohio, but they will never out recruit Ohio State and Penn State. They will never out recruit national powers like Bama, and Clemson.

If ACC membership solidifies TCU as the third most popular football school in the State of Texas, that's much better for the rest of the ACC, than Cincinnati playin second or third in Ohio.

And I like Cincy. It's not personal.

RE: If the ACC must add one more team, what should it be? - colohank - 08-17-2021 04:32 PM

(08-17-2021 03:09 PM)Statefan Wrote:  Someone commented that there were recruits in the State of Ohio.

This year according to 257 there are 3 top 100 recruits in Ohio. There are 9 top 300 recruits. They have 29 in the top 1000.

In Texas this year according to 257 there are 17 in the top 100, 45 in the top 300, and 138 total in the top 1000.

There is no recruiting per se for the current ACC schools in Ohio. A scrub that Ohio State does not want or that ND does not want or that Penn State does not want, is all that is left over. Meaning you may get a 3 star at best kid. This exacerbates the problem the ACC has with New York and New England and Kentucky - not nearly enough kids to make a competitive team.

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=OH

Clemson has the 8.
Indiana has the 9.
Minnesota has the 10.
Alabama has the 11.

Now, if Cincy is in the ACC they MIGHT out recruit Indiana and Minnesota in the State of Ohio, but they will never out recruit Ohio State and Penn State. They will never out recruit national powers like Bama, and Clemson.

If ACC membership solidifies TCU as the third most popular football school in the State of Texas, that's much better for the rest of the ACC, than Cincinnati playin second or third in Ohio.

I like Cincy because it's my alma mater. But I also take pride in the fact that Cincy does more with less. With fewer dollars and fewer highly ranked recruits, Cincy somehow manages to perform better on the field than many schools in the so-called power conferences. Frankly, I think that frightens some of you folks. On an equal footing financially, you know that we'd own you.

RE: If the ACC must add one more team, what should it be? - Statefan - 08-17-2021 05:02 PM

(08-17-2021 04:32 PM)colohank Wrote:  
(08-17-2021 03:09 PM)Statefan Wrote:  Someone commented that there were recruits in the State of Ohio.

Clemson has the 8.
Indiana has the 9.
Minnesota has the 10.
Alabama has the 11.

I like Cincy because it's my alma mater. But I also take pride in the fact that Cincy does more with less. With fewer dollars and fewer highly ranked recruits, Cincy somehow manages to perform better on the field than many schools in the so-called power conferences. Frankly, I think that frightens some of you folks. On an equal footing financially, you know that we'd own you.

More power to your ego. I would trade you for Duke tomorrow.

RE: If the ACC must add one more team, what should it be? - random asian guy - 08-17-2021 05:35 PM

(08-17-2021 12:40 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  

Probably should have been a choice in the poll ...

Also ... there's no way a member voluntarily steps out of the conference.

Of course nobody drops the football. But, hey, this poll is just “for fun.” Basically this poll will show which non slamdunk school people like the most.